Author Topic: K100 CAFE FIGHTER  (Read 114116 times)

Offline The Mighty Gryphon

• Administrator
  • ^ Quintessential Motobricker
Re: K100 cafe fighter
« Reply #25 on: December 31, 2016, 10:56:25 AM »
+1 on the Hardley.  The minimal, naked Sportster is one of my favorite bikes.  Had neighbors when I lived in El Paso who would have built one for me back in the 70's, but stupid me, I wanted an RD350.

Have had several chances to get some really nice examples since then, but never could pull the trigger.  Usually because they were a couple thousand miles away.
  • In my garage in Marilla, NY
  • '91K100RS White/Blue
Current:
'91 K100RS16V "Moby Brick Too"

Past:
'94 K75RT "Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS"
'92 K100RS16V "Moby Brick" (RIP, deceased in a vehicular assault)
'94 K75S Special Edition Dakar Yellow "Cheetos"
'89 K100RS Special Edition "Special Ed"

Offline Boxermann

• ^ Proficient Motobricker
K100 cafe fighter
« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2017, 05:21:53 AM »
Well i hardly ever have occassion to say this - but I like the look of your Harley! Post up some pics of that one as well when you finish up the changes you want to make. Cheers,
Mark

Thanks! Will do. Below are some semi-recent pics. It's been under constant change the last year.

+1 on the Hardley.  The minimal, naked Sportster is one of my favorite bikes.  Had neighbors when I lived in El Paso who would have built one for me back in the 70's, but stupid me, I wanted an RD350.

Have had several chances to get some really nice examples since then, but never could pull the trigger.  Usually because they were a couple thousand miles away.

Yeah, It is a really nice bike. I will probably get a bigger Harley at some point, but I don't think I ever will sell the sporty.
  • Norway
  • K100 / '87, K75 / '87

Offline Boxermann

« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2017, 05:27:01 AM »
Back to the beemer.

New valve stem seals installed and I'm finally beginning to put the motor back together. I managed to break one of the threaded rods for the camshaft brackets because of a crappy and unreliable torque meter though. Anyone know what grade steel they are? 8.8? I need to make a new one.
  • Norway
  • K100 / '87, K75 / '87

Offline Boxermann

« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2017, 06:53:09 PM »
I replaced the snapped rod with a grade 8.8 one.

Main seal... Forgot to do my homework and installed it flush at first. Took the sump off and took it out and installed it again. Went slow and steady and thought I was far from .5 mm, but no. Ended up at .3 mm. Question is if I should take it apart again an redo it, or if I'm over analyzing?
  • Norway
  • K100 / '87, K75 / '87

Offline Laitch

• Faster than a speeding pullet
  • Administrator
« Reply #29 on: January 06, 2017, 07:22:27 PM »
Question is if I should take it apart again an redo it, or if I'm over analyzing?
It appears that you're under-analyzing while you install it. :giggles
You know what it takes to install it again. Why not leave it in for scientific purposes and let us know how well it works after a few thousand kilometers? That will both benefit the community and give the slackers some hope.
  • Along the Ridley in Vermont.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles
I wept because I had no radials until I met a man who had no splines.
https://tinyurl.com/RillRider

Offline jc55

« Reply #30 on: January 07, 2017, 09:19:50 AM »
Yes, re-do it...these things add up in your mind later on down the road. I don't know Beemer internals or the amount of machine work you've done, but moving a seal on a crank can mean the difference in a leak or not in some instances.
  • Carrollton, Ohio
  • '90 K100LT '77 Gl1000

Offline Markus77

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #31 on: January 07, 2017, 10:47:50 AM »
I can't imagine there is much difference between the specs you listed in the real world - but then again JC55 makes a good point . . . knowing it's off would be in my mind and bother me. Better to re-do if for no other reason than your own piece of mind:) Thanks for the Harley pics - very cool bike!
  • Toronto
  • '94 K75RT

• Administrator
« Reply #32 on: January 07, 2017, 12:28:11 PM »
No one really knows why BMW wants the seal installed this way, but IMHO the purpose of the seal offset is to have the actual sealing lip positioned on a fresh point on the clutch hub to avoid any wear caused by the original seal.. 

Since you have already screwed with it once, I would be concerned that screwing with it again will be worse than leaving it 0.008" further in than BMW recommends.

Check the surface of the clutch hub where the seal touches it.  Does it have a groove worn into it?  If not, I would leave the seal alone.  If there is, pull out the seal and put a new one in and be careful to get it positioned properly.
  • '91K100RS White/Blue
Current:

Past:

Offline Boxermann

« Reply #33 on: January 07, 2017, 05:28:46 PM »
Thanks guys!

I think I'll go with Gryphons suggestion. Not because it is that much work to take it apart again, but I don't think I want to screw more with the seal. Clutch hub looks like new, so I don't think the fit will be a problem.
  • Norway
  • K100 / '87, K75 / '87

Offline mw074

« Reply #34 on: January 07, 2017, 05:39:54 PM »
The factory service bulletin explains the new seal installation how and why.    K Models - Sealing Ring on Output Shaft
  • Michigan

• Administrator
« Reply #35 on: January 08, 2017, 12:08:02 AM »
That service bulletin is interesting.  So the seal position is to move the lip away from the chamfer at the end of the clutch hub to prevent leakage.  The cause of the leak is an unfavorable stack up of part tolerances.  I see it is dated 10 years after your motorcycle was manufactured.  Sounds to me like the problem was noticed in later model K bikes(K1100's?) probably because of a lot of warranty claims.

So the first question is if the original seal was leaking excessively.  Hard to tell because the o-ring will probably leak before the seal.  I would guess that if the lip of the original seal was on the chamfer the leakage would have resulted in a warranty claim a long time ago. 

The bulletin also mentions that the original seal position was .4mm below the engine case surface.  Assuming the original seal location did not trigger a warranty claim because of leakage I would think that having the new one .3mm proud or .7mm away from the original seal location is enough to avoid any problems. 
  • '91K100RS White/Blue
Current:

Past:

Offline Boxermann

« Reply #36 on: January 08, 2017, 03:40:23 PM »
Thanks. Yes, I came to the same conclusion.

I went down to the garage earlier today to bolt up the sump, and while doing it obsessing about dropping a piece of hardware or the bit down the open exhaust holes, but to lazy to cover them. So... of course I dropped the bit down in one of them, and of course the valve was open since the garage gnome apparently had rotated the camshaft. Yeay..  :swear:

Hopefully it falls out when I flip the engine over.

EDIT: It came out easily with the help of a magnet.  :yippee:
  • Norway
  • K100 / '87, K75 / '87

Offline Boxermann

« Reply #37 on: January 11, 2017, 03:26:32 AM »
Installed timing chain and new front crank seal.

Oil/water pump seal looked far from great.. New seal, impeller etc. going in later this week.
  • Norway
  • K100 / '87, K75 / '87

Offline Boxermann

« Reply #38 on: January 14, 2017, 05:21:43 AM »

Found a cheap grommet kit containing grommets for the coils and injector rail. Had to buy two though, since it only comes with three of the ones for the coils.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/125-Rubber-Grommet-Firewall-Hole-Plug-Set-Electrical-Wire-Gasket-Assortment-Kit-/361288150009

Found out that the swing arm bearings probably has seen better days. One hardly moves, and the other sounds like it's filled with sand. Any tips for extracting them? I'm going to try filling up with grease behind them then stick a rod in the same size of the hole and whack on it and hopefully the pressure pushes them out.

Question are if they can be saved.. I see they are somewhat expensive. Buying a used swing arm online is not really an option because of the costly shipping to Scandinavia. I don't think I'll find one locally.
  • Norway
  • K100 / '87, K75 / '87

Offline Laitch

• Administrator
« Reply #39 on: January 14, 2017, 09:53:51 AM »
I'm going to try filling up with grease behind them then stick a rod in the same size of the hole and whack on it and hopefully the pressure pushes them out.
Question are if they can be saved
That has been done successfully as described in this K100 forum post, as you might already know. Why would you not replace seized and grinding bearings after having taken an engine down to its component parts? That doesn't seem a good location to compromise quality.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles

Offline Boxermann

« Reply #40 on: January 14, 2017, 11:09:51 AM »
That has been done successfully as described in this K100 forum post, as you might already know. Why would you not replace seized and grinding bearings after having taken an engine down to its component parts? That doesn't seem a good location to compromise quality.

Thanks for the link. Yes, most parts of me had already come to that conclusion when I wrote the last post, but sometimes it takes a little more time to convince the part that's in charge of the money...
  • Norway
  • K100 / '87, K75 / '87

Offline Boxermann

« Reply #41 on: January 16, 2017, 06:45:32 AM »
Grease trick worked like a charm. I used a 1/2" extension bar wrapped with a little electric tape and it popped right out. Ordered new bearings.

Also ordered a BEP 3.0, Motogadget Pro and Breakout box B, aero cas cap kit, BT45 front tire, RS belly pan, Shorai Lithium-Iron battery and a whole lot of other things. Going to the post office will be like christmas every day the next couple of weeks.  :clap:

Serviced rear master cylinder. I don't think it was that long since its been done before, but I like that new part smell. Also started servicing the calipers, but need to wait for parts.
  • Norway
  • K100 / '87, K75 / '87

Offline Laitch

• Administrator
« Reply #42 on: January 16, 2017, 10:33:54 AM »
. . .  I like that new part smell.
That's what BMW depends upon. It's good for the economy, too. :giggles
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles

Offline nods

• Sydney, Australia
  • Motobrick Curious
  • 1985 K100 RT
« Reply #43 on: January 17, 2017, 06:36:26 AM »
Grease trick worked like a charm. I used a 1/2" extension bar wrapped with a little electric tape and it popped right out. Ordered new bearings.

Also ordered a BEP 3.0, Motogadget Pro and Breakout box B, aero cas cap kit, BT45 front tire, RS belly pan, Shorai Lithium-Iron battery and a whole lot of other things. Going to the post office will be like christmas every day the next couple of weeks.  :clap:

Serviced rear master cylinder. I don't think it was that long since its been done before, but I like that new part smell. Also started servicing the calipers, but need to wait for parts.

Are you going to wire in a Motogadget m-Unit as well as the Motoscope Pro?
  • Sydney Australia
  • 1985 K100 RT

Offline Boxermann

« Reply #44 on: January 17, 2017, 06:57:57 AM »
That's what BMW depends upon. It's good for the economy, too. :giggles

Yeah ... except for my personal economy  :dunno2:

Are you going to wire in a Motogadget m-Unit as well as the Motoscope Pro?

I'm considering it, but haven't decided yet. Can't really see the big upgrade except for it being sexy..? (which of course is as good a reason as any).

I'm planning to use a K9 alarm as ignition and alarm, so I won't be needing that functionality. And I'm going to slim down and relocate the stock relay box to over the engine where the stock air box was so it will be out of sight anyway.

EDIT: I read up a little more on the m.unit and the part of me that's in charge of the money is already beginning to soften to the idea...
  • Norway
  • K100 / '87, K75 / '87

Offline Boxermann

« Reply #45 on: January 17, 2017, 02:41:54 PM »
Rear shock: my initial plan was to use a 13.25" Harley shock that I have a pair of in good shape (I'm also lowering the bike 1-2 inches in the front), but now I'm starting to think maybe I should buy a new 14" one. Maybe Progressive 412? RAM? YSS? Hagon? Any suggestions? (preferably below $300).
  • Norway
  • K100 / '87, K75 / '87

Offline duckytran

« Reply #46 on: January 17, 2017, 03:07:58 PM »
Rear shock: my initial plan was to use a 13.25" Harley shock that I have a pair of in good shape (I'm also lowering the bike 1-2 inches in the front), but now I'm starting to think maybe I should buy a new 14" one. Maybe Progressive 412? YSS? Hagon? Any suggestions? (preferably below $300).

I was using Progressive 412 and it perform just fine. You can also find YSS shock for under $300. BSK SpeedWorks has RAM shock for $279 pounds and Hagon for $299 pounds. Not a whole lot of options for <$300. I think these are all pretty comparable in performance. It kinda comes down to aesthetics.

http://www.bskspeedworks.co.uk/ram-rear-shocks.html
http://www.bskspeedworks.co.uk/hagon-rear-shocks.html
  • Austin, Texas
  • 1993 K75, 1981 R65

• Administrator
« Reply #47 on: January 17, 2017, 05:26:08 PM »
+1 on aesthetics. 

The lower weight of a cafe bike, and the chances it won't get too many kilometers and will mostly be used in town makes me think almost anything will work back there.  I would go with whatever looks the coolest and fits in the budget.
  • '91K100RS White/Blue
Current:

Past:

Offline Boxermann

« Reply #48 on: January 19, 2017, 05:18:19 PM »
Thanks ducky and Gryphon! Good points.

Inspired by Martin I put a grease zerk on the clutch arm.

Also trying to decide if I should replace the water pump shaft or not... Opinions please?
  • Norway
  • K100 / '87, K75 / '87

Offline Laitch

• Administrator
« Reply #49 on: January 19, 2017, 06:37:28 PM »
Also trying to decide if I should replace the water pump shaft or not... Opinions please?
If you are feeling lucky, you could try smoothing the surface with cyanoacrylate; otherwise, replace it.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles

Tags: