Author Topic: K100 custom build  (Read 8045 times)

Offline erik325i

• Motobrick Curious
K100 custom build
« on: September 29, 2018, 02:19:59 PM »
Hello good people. I bought this 85 K100rs 2 years ago. I slowly fixed it up and customized it over the first year. Over this last year I’ve just been enjoying riding it. Couple weeks ago it died on me and am trying to diagnose it with no success so far. I’ll create a different thread about that issue though. Anyway, here are some pics:

And now to diagnosing:

• Campbell
  • 85 K100rs custom

Offline johnny

• TrailBrakingThrottleWhacker
  • ^ Quintessential Motobricker
  • Whacking...n...Chopping Sliding...n...High Siding
Re: New member: K100 custom build
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2018, 03:00:21 PM »
greetings...

really like those riding boots... are those race spec...

abouts the reason it died... could be because the seat loop is missing... it is an integral apparatus as it pertains to the electronics...

search for the flow chart...

and do this too...

http://www.motobrick.com/index.php/topic,11033.0.html

j o
  • :johnny i parks my 96 eleven hundert rs motobrick in dodge county cheezconsin  :johnny

Offline erik325i

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2018, 04:10:34 PM »
greetings...

abouts the reason it died... could be because the seat loop is missing... it is an integral apparatus as it pertains to the electronics...

search for the flow chart...

and do this too...

http://www.motobrick.com/index.php/topic,11033.0.html

j o
Thanks J,
They’re from the Vans race catalog. Slip on for high speed, low drag.

Looking through that link now. Going to order a can of deoxit and do those recommended things soon.
  • Campbell
  • 85 K100rs custom

Offline Laitch

• Faster than a speeding pullet
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2018, 05:22:33 PM »
They’re from the Vans race catalog. Slip on for high speed, low drag.
Those were called tenny pumps in a simpler era. They were worn by lounge lizards. I'm glad to see that renegades have upgraded their status. A resourceful person can collect them among the twisted metal shards and minced plastic fairing scrap left by failed stunters in expressway medians and along road shoulders of this great nation. The colors and sizes don't always match though.

Welcome, erik! Thanks for the photos. More new members should follow your lead in that regard. Your moto looks like a stripped and ripped ride, except that it doesn't run but that condition is only temporary. With what you learn here, you'll be back on the road and shedding your shoes in no time flat.  :2thumbup:   I'm fairly certain some members here would like to know the source of the headlight nacelle.
  • Along the Ridley in Vermont.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles
I wept because I had no radials until I met a man who had no splines.
https://tinyurl.com/RillRider

Offline erik325i

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2018, 09:08:17 PM »
Those were called tenny pumps in a simpler era. They were worn by lounge lizards. I'm glad to see that renegades have upgraded their status. A resourceful person can collect them among the twisted metal shards and minced plastic fairing scrap left by failed stunters in expressway medians and along road shoulders of this great nation. The colors and sizes don't always match though.

Welcome, erik! Thanks for the photos. More new members should follow your lead in that regard. Your moto looks like a stripped and ripped ride, except that it doesn't run but that condition is only temporary. With what you learn here, you'll be back on the road and shedding your shoes in no time flat.  :2thumbup:   I'm fairly certain some members here would like to know the source of the headlight nacelle.
Thanks for the welcome. Admittedly, the shoes are my go-to for running errands and I didn’t even realize I wasn’t wearing my riding shoes until already on my way to the ride. Wear your safety gear kids.
The headlight fairing is a Harley part. Covered up that huge instrument cluster pretty nicely I think.
  • Campbell
  • 85 K100rs custom

Offline erik325i

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2018, 12:17:02 AM »
I'm fairly certain some members here would like to know the source of the headlight nacelle.

Here’s a better pic.
Harley part
  • Campbell
  • 85 K100rs custom

Offline natalena

• ^ SuperNatural Motobricker
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2018, 07:21:24 PM »
Welcome Erik. Great pics, especially the one with the Enfield and totally gawking gal :) Way to be brave and cut the loop, damn the electrics!
  • MST
  • 1987 K75s #0919, '05 Sportster 1200C
We don't need no stinkin' moly.

Offline Chaos

• Administrator
  • Mars needs women!
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2018, 07:49:24 PM »
Your K seems to hang out with some exotica.  That suicide door Lincoln caught my eye, haven't seen one of those since that peanut farmer ruled the nation.  Ahh, the good old days.....
  • sw ohio
1987 K75S    VIN 0231
Original owner, Original litter
200,000 miles (plus or minus) and 5 paint jobs
sold 6/23
2023 Ural 2WD sidecar (BMW's bastard step child)

Offline erik325i

• Motobrick Curious
Re: K100 custom build
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2018, 02:49:59 AM »
The fuel level sender broke and started to leak fuel. Turns out the early model k100 fuel level senders are now NLA. Felt like this was a good time to upgrade to a newer tank so I can install a fuel level gauge. Didn’t feel like installing just a single gauge, so I also installed a coolant temp gauge.

Step 0, buy a late model tank that has the fuel level sensor under the rear of the tank.
Step 1, remove stock 4 pin connector to fuel pump/level sender.
Step 2, extend the wires to reach closer to the rear of the tank and wire in new connector to  connect to the new fuel pump/level sensor. 3 wires come from the stock connector wires (power to pump, ground, fuel warning). The 4th wire gets run to your new fuel level sensor.
Step3, wire up your new instruments. It helps if you get the BMW “harness for additional instruments”. Use the wire mentioned in above step as the signal for the fuel level sensor.
Step4, mount instruments wherever you want.
Step5, make mounts for the rear of the tank since it mounts differently than the early tanks.

Check wiring diagrams for wiring details.

• Campbell
  • 85 K100rs custom

Offline natalena

• ^ SuperNatural Motobricker
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2018, 08:40:42 AM »
Nice job, thanks for the step details. Noticed the drilled rear disc, is that custom? I drilled a front disc during an XS650 build in the '80s and went through a zillion bits before everything was punched and finally countersunk. Have you seen the EVOLV Cruiser high-speed footwear? Sort of like a track ready blend of your Vans and a pair of Kung-Fu "China Slaps."
  • MST
  • 1987 K75s #0919, '05 Sportster 1200C
We don't need no stinkin' moly.

Offline erik325i

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2018, 07:31:05 PM »
Nice job, thanks for the step details. Noticed the drilled rear disc, is that custom? I drilled a front disc during an XS650 build in the '80s and went through a zillion bits before everything was punched and finally countersunk. Have you seen the EVOLV Cruiser high-speed footwear? Sort of like a track ready blend of your Vans and a pair of Kung-Fu "China Slaps."
Thanks. No, I didn’t drill the rotors myself. It’s a two piece floating rotor that utilizes the stock brake rotor hats. I’m pretty happy with it. I can’t remember the company I got them from though.
  • Campbell
  • 85 K100rs custom

Offline andrej_gr

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2018, 06:53:13 PM »
Nice build!

Where did you relocate the ECU? Do you have any closer photos of the place? Cheers.
  • Sydney, Australia
  • K75

Offline erik325i

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2018, 07:47:04 PM »
Nice build!

Where did you relocate the ECU? Do you have any closer photos of the place? Cheers.
Thanks! I built a box for it between the frame rails directly beneath the seat. I’ll try to snap a pic of it when I can.
  • Campbell
  • 85 K100rs custom

Offline erik325i

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2019, 04:47:25 PM »
Nice build!

Finally snapped a pic of the ECU location. Also I made and welded on brackets for the rear of the late model gas tank to the frame.
  • Campbell
  • 85 K100rs custom

Offline erik325i

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2019, 04:49:41 PM »
Decided on a root beer brown for the tank, fairing, and fender.
(Not sure why the pics randomly rotate as I post them... 🤷‍♂️)
  • Campbell
  • 85 K100rs custom

Tags: