Author Topic: K100 CAFE FIGHTER  (Read 114130 times)

Offline Boxermann

• ^ Proficient Motobricker
K100 CAFE FIGHTER
« on: November 03, 2016, 09:38:59 AM »
So I impulse bought an 1987 K100 LT a couple of weeks ago and plan to rebuild it during the winter to a cafe racer/ streetfighter kind of thing. More specifically something with the lines of a classic cafe racer but the more aggressive traits of a streetfighter.

Preliminary plans (updated continuously).
  • Fade to black... I'm no fan of colors or shiny stuff. I like things black, gritty and evil.
  • Dual sport tires. K1100 18x4.5 rear rim. Bridgestone Battlax tires.
  • Yamaha MT03 headlight.
  • Oil/waterpump overhaul.
  • Clean up. Relocate battery and swap it for a lithium one. Relocate fuses and various stuff.
  • Modify rear frame and fabricate a seat.
  • Reroute exhaust to the right side and mount a short under belly muffler. Short muffler on the left side.
  • Replace rear shock and lower front end.
  • strap-ons.
  • Rear sets.
  • Replace handlebar controls and levers, foot pegs, ignition switch, speedo, indicators, etc.
  • Modify or remove front fender.
  • Replace most gaskets, seals, bearings, hoses, tubes, containers and wiring.
  • Norway
  • K100 / '87, K75 / '87

Offline MaraudeRS

Re: K100 cafe fighter
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2016, 11:00:19 AM »
I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with. Hoping to do something similar with my 92 K100RS

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Monterey, CA
  • 1992 K100RS

Offline Boxermann

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2016, 05:50:02 AM »
Wrote a long post, but it disappeared when I clicked "post" because the images was too large. :bang-head:

Anyway. Bike taken apart for cleaning, inspection and painting. Was concerned about the state of things since it had >230k km (ca 140k miles) on the odo, but splines, valves, chain and other expensive things looked good. Bike has apparently been well maintained. I'm replacing clutch plate, voltage regulator, alternator rubbers and a couple of the bearings.

Waiting for parts to arrive this week so I can begin to reassemble. Complete gasket kit, seals, bolts, and so on.

Also decided to swap rear rim for a 3-spoke k1100 18x4.5. Thinking of Pirelli Angel GT tires.

My garage is getting more and more covered in sodium bicarbonate from soda blasting. I think I've used up over 25 kg so far (50+ lbs). At least I'll have a white christmas...
  • Norway
  • K100 / '87, K75 / '87

Offline Boxermann

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2016, 04:39:29 PM »
Santa came early.

• Norway
  • K100 / '87, K75 / '87

Offline MaraudeRS

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2016, 05:00:54 PM »
Soda blasting looks like the way to go. Very nice! I love it when santa comes. I'm hoping he delivers lots of goodies for me this year :)

• Monterey, CA
  • 1992 K100RS

Offline billday

• ^ Quintessential Motobricker
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2016, 06:32:19 PM »
Why did you strip the engine down?
  • New York State, USA 10977
  • 1985 K100

Offline Boxermann

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2016, 03:54:24 AM »
Soda blasting looks like the way to go. Very nice! I love it when santa comes. I'm hoping he delivers lots of goodies for me this year :)

Yeah, soda blasting is awesome. I wish I had covered the rest of the garage before I started though...

Why did you strip the engine down?

Mostly because I had no idea of what has been done to it and and it had over 230k km (ca 140k miles) on the odo. The guy I bought it from had recently got it from an estate, so he knew nothing about its history.

Engine block done painted and gearbox primed. I'm using Hammerite smooth finish. I've used Hammerites alloy primer, but after doing some forum reading I'm unsure if it is necessary? As long as the finish is applied in thin layers.

• Norway
  • K100 / '87, K75 / '87

Offline MaraudeRS

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2016, 12:20:36 PM »
That looks fantastic!

• Monterey, CA
  • 1992 K100RS

Offline nods

• Sydney, Australia
  • Motobrick Curious
  • 1985 K100 RT
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2016, 08:06:28 PM »
Yeah, soda blasting is awesome. I wish I had covered the rest of the garage before I started though...

Mostly because I had no idea of what has been done to it and and it had over 230k km (ca 140k miles) on the odo. The guy I bought it from had recently got it from an estate, so he knew nothing about its history.

Engine block done painted and gearbox primed. I'm using Hammerite smooth finish. I've used Hammerites alloy primer, but after doing some forum reading I'm unsure if it is necessary? As long as the finish is applied in thin layers.

That looks great mate.  As for the primer I reckon it's always a good idea to do a thorough prep first.

Can you please let me know what kit you got to do the soda blasting?  I'm only finding out about this and it looks like a great way to clean up years of gunk before painting.  I want an all black block and tranny, and well, everything, too.

Cheers
nods
  • Sydney Australia
  • 1985 K100 RT

Offline Martin

« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2016, 08:34:40 PM »

Supercheap 4.5 Kg blasting soda $74.97 Gun price starts at $43.97 you will also need a decent compressor. Any of the big tool stores will also stock them.
Regards Martin.
  • North Lakes Queensland Australia
  • 1992 K75s Hybrid, Lefaux, Vespa V twin.

Offline nods

• Sydney, Australia
  • Motobrick Curious
  • 1985 K100 RT
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2016, 08:42:41 PM »
Supercheap 4.5 Kg blasting soda $74.97 Gun price starts at $43.97 you will also need a decent compressor. Any of the big tool stores will also stock them.
Regards Martin.
Thanks Martin. And just do it outside, or is there a way to contain the mess? I guess it's a once only use for the media?

It used a bead blaster cabinet years ago when restoring my Bonny at a mates garage.

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

• Sydney Australia
  • 1985 K100 RT

Offline Martin

« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2016, 09:06:43 PM »

Make up a frame out of cheap timber, or a box out of ply wood line it with thick clear plastic sheeting. Cut a couple of holes for your arms, tape a couple of raincoat arms to the hole and wear thick loose rubber gloves that you can tape to the raincoat arms. If you really want to go overboard connect in a industrial vacuum cleaner purchased cheap of Gumtree. You can also screw a sheet of clear acrylic plexiglass to the front it's easier to see through. Most bit's can be scrounged or purchased really cheap, we have a couple of recycle shops that are attached to the local tips (dumps) which are a good source of bits. Salvo shops and the like another good source.
Regards Martin.

Offline nods

• Sydney, Australia
  • Motobrick Curious
  • 1985 K100 RT
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2016, 11:51:30 PM »
Awesome thanks mate

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

• Sydney Australia
  • 1985 K100 RT

Offline Boxermann

« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2016, 03:56:28 AM »

That looks great mate.  As for the primer I reckon it's always a good idea to do a thorough prep first.

Can you please let me know what kit you got to do the soda blasting?  I'm only finding out about this and it looks like a great way to clean up years of gunk before painting.  I want an all black block and tranny, and well, everything, too.

Thanks. Yeah, prepping is the key. :)

I bought the soda gun in a local shop here in Norway for ca 80 usd. Nothing fancy, just a blow gun with a screw on container for the soda. If your compressor doesn't have a moisture trap you need to add one. Otherwise the gun keeps clogging up.

I also have one of these cabinets for sand blasting smaller stuff.
  • Norway
  • K100 / '87, K75 / '87

Offline Boxermann

« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2016, 10:24:33 AM »
More cleaning and painting.
  • Norway
  • K100 / '87, K75 / '87

Offline The Mighty Gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2016, 11:47:48 AM »
My bricks are beginning to look a little shabby to me now...
  • In my garage in Marilla, NY
  • '91K100RS White/Blue
Current:
'91 K100RS16V "Moby Brick Too"

Past:
'94 K75RT "Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS"
'92 K100RS16V "Moby Brick" (RIP, deceased in a vehicular assault)
'94 K75S Special Edition Dakar Yellow "Cheetos"
'89 K100RS Special Edition "Special Ed"

Offline Glacial

« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2016, 06:09:35 PM »
I ride British roads in the winter, there is absolutely no point in me doing such a lovely job to my engine because five minutes later it will be covered in salt-laden mud.
  • Cambridge, UK
  • 1990 K75S VIN 0109678
'If this is your mid-life crisis, you are going to live to be 114'

Offline Boxermann

K100 cafe fighter
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2016, 03:49:29 AM »
I ride British roads in the winter, there is absolutely no point in me doing such a lovely job to my engine because five minutes later it will be covered in salt-laden mud.

At least you can ride in the winter there. Here in Scandinavia it's not really an option. :/

Head cleaned up and painted. Valves removed to be cleaned and for change of valve stem seals (I put one back before deciding to do the rest later).

Next project: throttle bodies.
  • Norway
  • K100 / '87, K75 / '87

Offline Boxermann

K100 cafe fighter
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2016, 11:37:59 AM »
More cleaning and painting. Fitted new voltage regulator. Starter coals checked out ok.

Bought a nice k1100 rim with an as good as new Bridgestone Battlax tire, so I guess I'll keep it instead of the Pirellis I was planning to get. Just need to buy one for the front.

4-1 collector from Cafe4racer.eu

• Norway
  • K100 / '87, K75 / '87

Offline Boxermann

« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2016, 03:31:58 PM »
Can't seem to get a decent spray out of three of the injectors. I ran some brake cleaner through them but only one of them seems ok. Will soak them for a while and see if that solves it, otherwise I'm thinking of getting a set of #715's with 4-hole nozzles. Any suggestions/input?
  • Norway
  • K100 / '87, K75 / '87

Offline Martin

« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2016, 03:53:42 PM »

Remove and replace the internal filter screens. Try cycling the injectors while soaking in injector cleaner use a 9v battery and don't keep the battery connected for  long periods.  One of the members cycles the injectors with a pressure pack injector cleaner connected to the injector with the injector open. ( Take extreme care when using a battery around any cleaners, you do not want any sparks which could ignite the cleaner. Use extremely long wires between the injector and the battery and have a fire extinguisher handy.)
Regards Martin.

Offline The Mighty Gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2016, 04:14:09 PM »
You're cleaning the parts that make the bike go with a cleaner for the parts that make the bike stop?!   :mbird

That might be why they aren't getting clean.
  • In my garage in Marilla, NY
  • '91K100RS White/Blue
Current:
'91 K100RS16V "Moby Brick Too"

Past:
'94 K75RT "Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS"
'92 K100RS16V "Moby Brick" (RIP, deceased in a vehicular assault)
'94 K75S Special Edition Dakar Yellow "Cheetos"
'89 K100RS Special Edition "Special Ed"

Offline Markus77

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2016, 04:20:13 PM »
Looking forward to seeing how your project develops - looks like you're off to a great start! What's your other bike in the garage in one of the first pics?
  • Toronto
  • '94 K75RT

Offline Boxermann

« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2016, 06:17:32 PM »

Remove and replace the internal filter screens. Try cycling the injectors while soaking in injector cleaner use a 9v battery and don't keep the battery connected for  long periods.  One of the members cycles the injectors with a pressure pack injector cleaner connected to the injector with the injector open. ( Take extreme care when using a battery around any cleaners, you do not want any sparks which could ignite the cleaner. Use extremely long wires between the injector and the battery and have a fire extinguisher handy.)
Regards Martin.

Thanks! I'll give it a try. :2thumbup:

You're cleaning the parts that make the bike go with a cleaner for the parts that make the bike stop?!   

That might be why they aren't getting clean.

Haha, yeah, you might have a point there.  :eek:

Looking forward to seeing how your project develops - looks like you're off to a great start! What's your other bike in the garage in one of the first pics?

Thanks!

Other bike is a '06 Harley Sportster. Was a ugly orange stock 883 when I bought it. Rebuilt to 1250 now. I'm going to do some changes to it too over the winter: new rear fender, handlebar, tires, new paintjob (still black though), lower the saddle and add drag pipes.
  • Norway
  • K100 / '87, K75 / '87
Agree Agree x 1 View List

Offline Markus77

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #24 on: December 31, 2016, 07:52:08 AM »
Well i hardly ever have occassion to say this - but I like the look of your Harley! Post up some pics of that one as well when you finish up the changes you want to make. Cheers,
Mark
  • Toronto
  • '94 K75RT
Agree Agree x 1 View List

Tags: