Author Topic: The Rusty Brick - '92 K100RS  (Read 151733 times)

Offline MaraudeRS

• ^ Proficient Motobricker
Re: The Rusty Brick - '92 K100RS
« Reply #25 on: November 12, 2016, 11:21:19 AM »
hi
good luck with your project.
you have probably already polished up your seat with that armourall .

if you haven't then my advice is don't. 

sure your seat will look great but the first time you lean a bit on the front brake you are more than likely going to introduce your testicles to the back of your fuel tank at some speed.

i speak from experience and for a while there i spoke a full octave higher.

warm soapy water would be my advice

Thank you for saving my testicles :) I haven't used it yet so I'll return it. Any recommendations on what I should use? I can take some close-ups of the seat if that helps. It's a Corbin.

I suspect you're gonna have to specify what kinda work to get a recommendation for a stand...

I have a ft so I don't hafta lay on the floor and a motorcycle lift that combined w/angle iron brackets allow me to get wheels off the ground...

My goal for now is just to get the bike rideable, so I need to be able to remove the brakes and wheels. I placed some 2x8s under the center stand and it gave me a good amount of clearance in order to do the oil change. Once I get the fuel tank emptied, new gas put in with fuel system cleaner, I'll replace the spark plugs and get to work on the brakes. Here's what they look like
I'm hoping I can clean the disks enough so that I won't need to replace them. EBC are the only ones I've been able to find and all 3 disks would run me around $750, yikes!

Do you have a motorcycle operators license, MaraudeRS?

:D Not yet. What gave it away? Hahaha! I had  a permit a while back but never got my license and the permit expired. As soon as I know that the bike is salvageable I'll get my license.

Here are some close-ups. Maybe y'all can tell me what you think

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Monterey, CA
  • 1992 K100RS

Offline Laitch

• Faster than a speeding pullet
  • Administrator
  • ^ Quintessential Motobricker
« Reply #26 on: November 12, 2016, 12:10:49 PM »
:D Not yet. What gave it away? Hahaha! I had  a permit a while back but never got my license and the permit expired. As soon as I know that the bike is salvageable I'll get my license.
The reason I ask, MarauderRS, is that I think it's unwise for any inexperienced rider to start out on the road with a 1000cc bike. I understand that you sincerely believe yourself capable of getting "comfortable and confident" riding it, but while you're doing that in traffic, you're putting the rest of us at risk when it gets away from you. If you're a bicycle racer with steep downhill experience that would help, but it won't give you a clue of the forces unleashed from a 1000cc bike when you give it a whiskey throttle.  The fact that you state you like the "look" of a wide tire means to me that before you take to the road, you need to gain understanding of how a motorcycle is designed for handling and the consequences involved in changing its components.

I strongly advise at least a ten hour session—broken into 2 to 5 hour blocks—of watching motorcycle crashes on YouTube. The Ride Like a Pro cd is a useful tool to prepare yourself for riding.

While you're working on this bike, I think a reasonable course of action is to enroll yourself in a Motorcycle Safety Foundation (MSF) basic riders course where you'll be given a 250cc bike to learn the basics. The courses fill quickly so enroll early. If you pass it, you'll have your operators license and an understanding of the physics involved with motorcycle riding and the consequences of an errant twist of the throttle or grab of the brakes. If you fail it, you'll have gotten real experience on a bike—without grossly endangering others or yourself—in a controlled environment with experienced instructors who can observe your faults accurately. You can take the course again with a new understanding of what's required in riding.
  • Along the Ridley in Vermont.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles
I wept because I had no radials until I met a man who had no splines.
https://tinyurl.com/RillRider

Offline Laitch

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: November 12, 2016, 12:27:41 PM »
Getting back to the bike, you write that you haven't used the Armorall then you ask what you should use. In Blackie's comment was a recommendation of what you should use. Consider encouraging respondents by reading and acknowledging what they advise.

Insofar as the fuel situation is concerned, after you drain the tank and before you fill it with clean fuel, you should remove the entire fuel cap assembly and show us a photo of the tank's interior.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles

Offline MaraudeRS

« Reply #28 on: November 12, 2016, 01:05:21 PM »
The reason I ask, MarauderRS, is that I think it's unwise for any inexperienced rider to start out on the road with a 1000cc bike. I understand that you sincerely believe yourself capable of getting "comfortable and confident" riding it, but while you're doing that in traffic, you're putting the rest of us at risk when it gets away from you. If you're a bicycle racer with steep downhill experience that would help, but it won't give you a clue of the forces unleashed from a 1000cc bike when you give it a whiskey throttle.  The fact that you state you like the "look" of a wide tire means to me that before you take to the road, you need to gain understanding of how a motorcycle is designed for handling and the consequences involved in changing its components.

I strongly advise at least a ten hour session—broken into 2 to 5 hour blocks—of watching motorcycle crashes on YouTube. The Ride Like a Pro cd is a useful tool to prepare yourself for riding.

While you're working on this bike, I think a reasonable course of action is to enroll yourself in a Motorcycle Safety Foundation (MSF) basic riders course where you'll be given a 250cc bike to learn the basics. The courses fill quickly so enroll early. If you pass it, you'll have your operators license and an understanding of the physics involved with motorcycle riding and the consequences of an errant twist of the throttle or grab of the brakes. If you fail it, you'll have gotten real experience on a bike—without grossly endangering others or yourself—in a controlled environment with experienced instructors who can observe your faults accurately. You can take the course again with a new understanding of what's required in riding.

Thank you for the sound advice. I fully intend to take at least 1 safety course or more before taking this thing on the highway. Fortunately I live in a quiet neighborhood with very little traffic so I should be able to do some in-town riding without causing any chaos.
Getting back to the bike, you write that you haven't used the Armorall then you ask what you should use. In Blackie's comment was a recommendation of what you should use. Consider encouraging respondents by reading and acknowledging what they advise.

Insofar as the fuel situation is concerned, after you drain the tank and before you fill it with clean fuel, you should remove the entire fuel cap assembly and show us a photo of the tank's interior.

Yes, you're right! He did make a recommendation and I will try that. Sorry for missing it. I remembered exactly what he said as soon as I read your post.

I'll take the fuel cap off assembly off and post a pic. I looked in the tank with a flashlight and it looked really clean to me but I'll defer to y'all.

• Monterey, CA
  • 1992 K100RS

Offline MaraudeRS

« Reply #29 on: November 12, 2016, 03:30:26 PM »
Has anyone used the Bosch D3330 filter in their bike? I checked a cross reference guide and it's supposed to work but my 76mm x 14 flute wrench isn't fitting on it.

• Monterey, CA
  • 1992 K100RS

Offline Laitch

• Administrator
« Reply #30 on: November 12, 2016, 03:56:07 PM »
but my 76mm x 14 flute wrench isn't fitting on it.
About your wrench: Is the diameter too large or too small? Too many or too few flutes? Is the wrench wall too thick? The OEM wrench is 74.4x14 flutes
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles

Offline MaraudeRS

« Reply #31 on: November 12, 2016, 04:12:23 PM »
About your wrench: Is the diameter too large or too small? Too many or too few flutes? Is the wrench wall too thick? The OEM wrench is 74.4x14 flutes

The diameter is too large. It has the right number of flutes but just slips around the filter. It fit the BWM filter that was in the motor perfectly but it doesn't fit the new filter. It sounds like I need to find the 74.4x14 you mention because that will probably be the right size. Thanks!

• Monterey, CA
  • 1992 K100RS

Offline Laitch

• Administrator
« Reply #32 on: November 12, 2016, 04:13:50 PM »
The diameter is too large. It has the right number of flutes but just slips around the filter. It fit the BWM filter that was in the motor perfectly but it doesn't fit the new filter. It sounds like I need to find the 74.4x14 you mention because that will probably be the right size.
What's the current filter?
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles

Offline MaraudeRS

« Reply #33 on: November 12, 2016, 05:00:49 PM »

• Monterey, CA
  • 1992 K100RS

Offline Laitch

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: November 12, 2016, 05:40:27 PM »
You've got an used oem filter and a wrench that fits it—so you could call that wrench an oem, too. I'd get a different filter, unless I wanted to be a wrench collector. There can never too many wrenches, if there's enough room for them.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles

Offline gazman

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #35 on: November 12, 2016, 07:31:36 PM »
La itch is giving you very sound advice re your skill level. I work away for 2 weeks at a time and whenever I plan to go for a ride I like to watch youtube m/c crash's. it settles my head and helps keep me within my skill level. (I've been riding 40+ years). also remember the 2 golden rules when riding +1 you are invisible. +2 EVERYONE wants to kill you :falldown:
  • west australia
  • 93 K1100LT

Offline Dennis de Vries

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #36 on: November 13, 2016, 03:32:37 AM »
You are one lucky man for being given the (imo) best and most beautifull incarnation of the K-bike there is. If it were pearl white i would REALLY be green with envy  :drool:
Regarding the state of the bike, i know a bit of elbowgrease will make her shine again, just please don't cafe her okay?
I really hope you take Laitch and Gazman's advise of at least taking some riders course of sorts because as they are gentle beasts, there sure is a beast in there, learn to know it before unleashing it!
I can still see the faces of the people in the car i was heading for when i overshot a turn for the first time. Knowing fully well i had to give it more lean to make it, i just didn't have the balls to do it due to being to new to the riding game.... Luckiliy it was only one car and i managed to just mis it and sort of make it through the turn somehow...

Best part, as Gazman says, 1 No one sees you, no matter how much hi-wiz and bright lights you are running, 2 Those that do are out to get you! Riding like that has kept me alive for the last 20+ years of riding...

Keep up the good work!

Oh and btw, 160 is plenty wide enough if you want a nice ride, looks aren't everyting you know :2thumbup:
  • Holland, Europe
  • '89 K75RT

Offline MaraudeRS

« Reply #37 on: November 13, 2016, 11:19:30 AM »
You are one lucky man for being given the (imo) best and most beautifull incarnation of the K-bike there is. If it were pearl white i would REALLY be green with envy  :drool:
Regarding the state of the bike, i know a bit of elbowgrease will make her shine again, just please don't cafe her okay?
I really hope you take Laitch and Gazman's advise of at least taking some riders course of sorts because as they are gentle beasts, there sure is a beast in there, learn to know it before unleashing it!
I can still see the faces of the people in the car i was heading for when i overshot a turn for the first time. Knowing fully well i had to give it more lean to make it, i just didn't have the balls to do it due to being to new to the riding game.... Luckiliy it was only one car and i managed to just mis it and sort of make it through the turn somehow...

Best part, as Gazman says, 1 No one sees you, no matter how much hi-wiz and bright lights you are running, 2 Those that do are out to get you! Riding like that has kept me alive for the last 20+ years of riding...

Keep up the good work!

Oh and btw, 160 is plenty wide enough if you want a nice ride, looks aren't everyting you know :2thumbup:
It is pearl white[emoji6] I'm going to take Laitch & Gazmans advice. As soon as get this beast to the point where I know she'll be ridable I'm going to get my permit and sign up for some classes :2thumbup:

La itch is giving you very sound advice re your skill level. I work away for 2 weeks at a time and whenever I plan to go for a ride I like to watch youtube m/c crash's. it settles my head and helps keep me within my skill level. (I've been riding 40+ years). also remember the 2 golden rules when riding +1 you are invisible. +2 EVERYONE wants to kill you :falldown:
I'm going to remember those 2 golden rules and check out some YouTube videos. Thx

You've got an used oem filter and a wrench that fits it—so you could call that wrench an oem, too. I'd get a different filter, unless I wanted to be a wrench collector. There can never too many wrenches, if there's enough room for them.
Fortunately, there's enough room for them and they're cheaper than the filter[emoji23]

• Monterey, CA
  • 1992 K100RS

Offline Dennis de Vries

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #38 on: November 13, 2016, 12:11:57 PM »
It is? Wow! Must get my eyes checked then, i could have sworn i saw metallic grey in the pictures!
Jep, you're right, here i go, i'm going green now  :yes
  • Holland, Europe
  • '89 K75RT

Offline MaraudeRS

« Reply #39 on: November 13, 2016, 09:53:04 PM »
It is? Wow! Must get my eyes checked then, i could have sworn i saw metallic grey in the pictures!
Jep, you're right, here i go, i'm going green now  :yes
:) I'm rather fond of it myself.

So I got the gas filler off and here's what it looks like. I'm guessing I should replace the gasket? Lol

• Monterey, CA
  • 1992 K100RS

Offline Laitch

• Administrator
« Reply #40 on: November 13, 2016, 09:57:54 PM »
So I got the gas filler off and here's what it looks like. I'm guessing I should replace the gasket? Lol
Consider putting it through the Full Monty.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles

Offline MaraudeRS

« Reply #41 on: November 14, 2016, 12:43:08 PM »
Consider putting it through the Full Monty.

Good idea. Has anyone actually ordered it from James @ Bob's BMW that he mentions in the video? I started looking for the kit online but ever site says it's discontinued. I was able to order the big seal on eBay for around $14 shipped. Unfortunately I think I'm going to end up with two gaskets now if I order the full kit.

• Monterey, CA
  • 1992 K100RS

Offline thecableguy

« Reply #42 on: November 14, 2016, 02:51:56 PM »
MAX BMW shows the gasket set as available on their fiche...

Jim
  • Madison, WI USA
  • 86 K100RT - Brünhild
...to make a long story short, use duct tape.

Offline MaraudeRS

« Reply #43 on: November 14, 2016, 06:47:43 PM »
MAX BMW shows the gasket set as available on their fiche...

Jim
Thanks, Jim! I'll try to find just the parts I haven't already ordered.

Here are pics of inside the tank:

What do y'all think? I started looking for miniature vacuum attachments in order to clean it out. Or can I just wipe it down with something?

• Monterey, CA
  • 1992 K100RS

Offline Laitch

• Administrator
« Reply #44 on: November 14, 2016, 07:32:11 PM »
What do y'all think? I started looking for miniature vacuum attachments in order to clean it out. Or can I just wipe it down with something?
Use a vacuum cleaner on that and you're liable to witness how an electric motor can ignite gasoline fumes when least expected. If it were my tank, I'd remove the tank then remove the fuel switch to clean up that rusty float rod and check its integrity. The interior would be cleaned with V&P naphtha, or another solvent and the metal would be swabbed with rags and flushed until all that grit was removed. I'd pull the fuel pump assembly to verify the condition of its pre-filter and check for sediment in its sump.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles

Offline The Mighty Gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #45 on: November 14, 2016, 07:39:49 PM »
NEVER STICK A VACUUM CLEANER IN A GAS TANK!!!

The gas fumes fill the cleaner and then are ignited by sparks in the motor commutator.  I recall a shop vac exploding were I worked back in the 70's.  Put two janitors in the hospital and blew a wall of windows out of the building.

I think that someone here cleaned out their tank by filling it with vinegar.  Had it looking like new.
  • In my garage in Marilla, NY
  • '91K100RS White/Blue
Current:
'91 K100RS16V "Moby Brick Too"

Past:
'94 K75RT "Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS"
'92 K100RS16V "Moby Brick" (RIP, deceased in a vehicular assault)
'94 K75S Special Edition Dakar Yellow "Cheetos"
'89 K100RS Special Edition "Special Ed"

Offline Filmcamera

« Reply #46 on: November 14, 2016, 07:42:59 PM »
Yep I used vinegar and it worked really well.  It is dirt cheap as well- I think I used one and a half gallons in mine but could have put more. I left it for three days then drained it all out after scrubbing with a  brillo pad.
  • San Jose, Costa Rica
  • 1991 K100RS 16v ABS1, 2018 Triumph Street Triple RS 765
Poserbricker

Offline MaraudeRS

The Rusty Brick - '92 K100RS
« Reply #47 on: November 14, 2016, 08:15:39 PM »
Thank you all very much! I figured it was a bad idea to suck up gas with an electric vacuum so I borrowed this from my neighbor and it worked like a charm
I had a feeling that pulling the tank would be recommended. I'm a little apprehensive knowing my skill level (which y'all have presumably picked up on quickly) and that fact that my Clymer manual hasn't arrived yet. I ordered it today along with the tank gasket. I'll be ordering the filler cap rebuild kit shortly as well. While I wait I'll pick up a couple gallons of vinegar and do that cleaning recommended and check the float rods integrity. It feels like it's still pretty solid so I'm hoping to hold off on replacing it until I know for sure that the major systems of the bike work properly and it's worth all this trouble.

Laitch, I will pull the pump and check the sump.

Thanks for the advice everyone!

• Monterey, CA
  • 1992 K100RS

Offline MaraudeRS

« Reply #48 on: November 16, 2016, 12:23:10 PM »
In my mind this is a stupid question with an obvious answer but I just need verification please. Does this rotor need to be replaced or can it be cleaned/resurfaced by a shop, and if so, is it worth it?

• Monterey, CA
  • 1992 K100RS

Offline Laitch

• Administrator
« Reply #49 on: November 16, 2016, 12:28:10 PM »
Does this rotor need to be replaced or can it be cleaned/resurfaced by a shop, and if so, is it worth it?
It needs to be replaced.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles

Tags: