Author Topic: Project Apokalypse  (Read 35905 times)

Offline Learch

• Curious
Re: Project Apokalypse
« Reply #50 on: March 08, 2017, 09:51:01 AM »
Ok so got too ask. I'm in the process off building the same style of bike you are. What would it cost me to get a set of foot pegs and bar risers. You have some skills by the way

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Wildomar ca.
  • 92k75. 2013dr650

Offline furnimoto

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #51 on: March 12, 2017, 03:14:32 AM »
Hey Learch, sorry for the delayed response. Thanks for the compliment. Would they be for the 92 k75? The bar risers and footpegs themselves would work, but I'm not sure about the footpeg mounting brackets. I don't know if the bolt holes I used are the same for your bike. I might have an extra set of bar risers. They are pretty sweet, but it's looking like I'm going to machine my self a new set of triple clamps, which will mean a different bar mounting set up. So mine might be available. I also machined a few extra sets of footpegs, but I would have to machine the brackets, and again I'm not sure if the bolt pattern would work out on a 92 k75. Do any proficient motobrickers know about compatibility between 92 k75's and 96 k1100rs's peg plates?
  • Oakland, CA
  • 1996 bmw k1100rs, 1973 bmw r75/5, 2015 ducati diavel

Offline jay1622

• ^ Proficient Motobricker
« Reply #52 on: March 23, 2017, 10:02:29 PM »
Just watched your <Who wins the bar risers> video... Very cool of you. :2thumbup:
  • Charlotte
  • Previous: 1986 K75S, 1977 R75/7, 1999 R1200C, 2003 R1150GS, 2001 F650GS, 2005 R1200RT... Current: 2005 R1200RT and my Brick, a 1988 K75S

Offline furnimoto

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #53 on: March 24, 2017, 02:18:55 AM »
Just watched your <Who wins the bar risers> video... Very cool of you. :2thumbup:

Thanks man!
  • Oakland, CA

Offline furnimoto

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #54 on: August 01, 2017, 09:57:26 PM »
Hey Guys! I have been on a brief hiatus from Project ApoKalypse, but now I am back on it. Here is the latest video update:

• Oakland, CA

Offline rbroen07

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #55 on: August 17, 2017, 04:34:09 AM »
Hi furnimoto..

Great build so far!

It looks like you made some extensive 3D CAD modelling.. would you be interested in sharing these files?

Rasmus
  • Denmark, Copenhagen
  • BMW K100 '83

Offline furnimoto

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #56 on: August 18, 2017, 03:40:22 AM »

Great build so far!

It looks like you made some extensive 3D CAD modelling.. would you be interested in sharing these files?

Thanks Rasmus! I have done a whole bunch of modeling, and I'm happy to share some of my 3d models with fellow motobrickers. Some of the parts I just used as a visual aid for design and are not super accurate, like the section of frame that I modeled. On that one I just took measurements with a tape measure and eyeballed some of the bend radii and angles.
On other parts, like the motronic unit, r1200gs led headlight, and lower triple clamp, I used a leica laser scanner to generate a point cloud and then used some fancy $30k/seat software(geomagic design x) to make solid models, so they are pretty accurate. Here's a list of models that I have made, and brief description of each:

*Disclaimer*
My project is a 1996 k1100rs, I don't know how much stuff will carry over to other years and models. Most of the critical features(mounting holes and stuff) are accurate, but some aesthetic features may not be. These models have worked for my purposes, and I hope they work for your purposes, but please verify any critical dimensions on your particular project.
*Disclaimer*

Lower triple clamp-Laser scanned but I didn't finish modeling the steering stops because I am planning on doing adjustable eccentric stops on my custom clamps. The steering stem is an interference fit, and I haven't pressed out the steering stem yet to measure the actual bore diameter.

12 cell antigravity battery-It's pretty good, but the cases aren't manufactured to super tight tolerances so I would recommend verifying your individual battery measurements if your trying to fit it in a super tight space.

Motogadget M-unit v2-Mounting features and overall dimensions should be good, but I just eyeballed fillets and radii and such.

Motronic unit-Laser scanned, but the unit is just in a sheet metal chassis(not precisely manufactured), and I didn't bother to model the actual electrical connector.

R1200GS LED headlight-This thing is crazy! Everything is drafted, there aren't really any flat planes, and none of the features are symmetrical. I laser scanned it, but there are a few lofted and swept cut features that I didn't bother to model(strictly aesthetic). The vibration isolators are not part of the stock assembly, and I didn't bother modeling the lofted feature that they mount to. I could keep going on with more particulars, but won't unless someone really wants to know.

50 cal ammo box-I downloaded this assembly from grabcad, it seems pretty good though.

TC Bros enduro bars-These are modeled based on the dimensions on their website, though I took some measurements myself too.

Welded seat assembly/tragkorb rack-I designed this specifically for my project and tragkorb application. The vibration isolators are available from Mcmaster Carr, but I designed the rest of the mounting hardware as well as the cable gland. Each case should have a weight capacity of 60lbs. Functionally the tragkorbs are better lower, but I prefer them higher aesthetically so I built in some vertical adjustment into the mounting plates so that I can fine tune the height after I get the seat assembly welded up.

Bar risers-I designed these so that I could position the bars for better ergonomics while standing on the footpegs(for all of that theoretical post apocalyptic adventure riding I'm going to be doing), but they actually make the riding position very comfortable combined with the stock foot position(for all of that actual street riding that I will be doing). You will have to get longer cables though(LT cables might be long enough), and the rubber mounted bar clamps in the stock triple clamp feel too squishy with the additional leverage, so if using the stock triple clamps I would recommend removing those rubber bushings and coming up with a hard mounted modification.

Foot controls-I have literally spent hundreds of hours designing different versions, programing, and prototyping these. I made 4 individual work holding fixtures to machine them so far, and will have to design some more workholding for the brake pedal as well, which I have not machined yet. I am considering possibly doing a run of these for sale. BSK makes some really awesome rearsets for K-bikes, which are great for cafe racers, but there isn't really anything available for scrambler applications. The only issue is that that they would be expensive to make, both in material cost and machining time, and so even more expensive to buy. I don't know if it is a viable option yet, but in the meantime I would rather not share these particular models. I am happy to share information like the mounting hole locations and dimensions that I used though, so people can design their own if they feel so inclined.

I don't know they best way to share these files. I will probably save them as step files, drop them in a folder on google drive, and post a link to that folder in this thread. I'll plan on doing that sometime this weekend.

• Oakland, CA

Offline rbroen07

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #57 on: August 18, 2017, 05:04:35 AM »

Thanks Rasmus! I have done a whole bunch of modeling, and I'm happy to share some of my 3d models with fellow motobrickers. Some of the parts I just used as a visual aid for design and are not super accurate, like the section of frame that I modeled. On that one I just took measurements with a tape measure and eyeballed some of the bend radii and angles.
On other parts, like the motronic unit, r1200gs led headlight, and lower triple clamp, I used a leica laser scanner to generate a point cloud and then used some fancy $30k/seat software(geologic design x) to make solid models, so they are pretty accurate. Here's a list of models that I have made, and brief description of each:

*Disclaimer*
My project is a 1996 k1100rs, I don't know how much stuff will carry over to other years and models. Most of the critical features(mounting holes and stuff) are accurate, but some aesthetic features may not be. These models have worked for my purposes, and I hope they work for your purposes, but please verify any critical dimensions on your particular project.
*Disclaimer*

Lower triple clamp-Laser scanned but I didn't finish modeling the steering stops because I am planning on doing adjustable eccentric stops on my custom clamps. The steering stem is an interference fit, and I haven't pressed out the steering stem yet to measure the actual bore diameter.

12 cell antigravity battery-It's pretty good, but the cases aren't manufactured to super tight tolerances so I would recommend verifying your individual battery measurements if your trying to fit it in a super tight space.

Motogadget M-unit v2-Mounting features and overall dimensions should be good, but I just eyeballed fillets and radii and such.

Motronic unit-Laser scanned, but the unit is just in a sheet metal chassis(not precisely manufactured), and I didn't bother to model the actual electrical connector.

R1200GS LED headlight-This thing is crazy! Everything is drafted, there aren't really any flat planes, and none of the features are symmetrical. I laser scanned it, but there are a few lofted and swept cut features that I didn't bother to model(strictly aesthetic). The vibration isolators are not part of the stock assembly, and I didn't bother modeling the lofted feature that they mount to. I could keep going on with more particulars, but won't unless someone really wants to know.

50 cal ammo box-I downloaded this assembly from grabcad, it seems pretty good though.

TC Bros enduro bars-These are modeled based on the dimensions on their website, though I took some measurements myself too.

Welded seat assembly/tragkorb rack-I designed this specifically for my project and tragkorb application. The vibration isolators are available from Mcmaster Carr, but I designed the rest of the mounting hardware as well as the cable gland. Each case should have a weight capacity of 60lbs. Functionally the tragkorbs are better lower, but I prefer them higher aesthetically so I built in some vertical adjustment into the mounting plates so that I can fine tune the height after I get the seat assembly welded up.

Bar risers-I designed these so that I could position the bars for better ergonomics while standing on the footpegs(for all of that theoretical post apocalyptic adventure riding I'm going to be doing), but they actually make the riding position very comfortable combined with the stock foot position(for all of that actual street riding that I will be doing). You will have to get longer cables though(LT cables might be long enough), and the rubber mounted bar clamps in the stock triple clamp feel too squishy with the additional leverage, so if using the stock triple clamps I would recommend removing those rubber bushings and coming up with a hard mounted modification.

Foot controls-I have literally spent hundreds of hours designing different versions, programing, and prototyping these. I made 4 individual work holding fixtures to machine them so far, and will have to design some more workholding for the brake pedal as well, which I have not machined yet. I am considering possibly doing a run of these for sale. BSK makes some really awesome rearsets for K-bikes, which are great for cafe racers, but there isn't really anything available for scrambler applications. The only issue is that that they would be expensive to make, both in material cost and machining time, and so even more expensive to buy. I don't know if it is a viable option yet, but in the meantime I would rather not share these particular models. I am happy to share information like the mounting hole locations and dimensions that I used though, so people can design their own if they feel so inclined.

I don't know they best way to share these files. I will probably save them as step files, drop them in a folder on google drive, and post a link to that folder in this thread. I'll plan on doing that sometime this weekend.

Hi
Thank you for the very elaborate reply :)

I was actually planning on modelling a "complete" K100 model in 3D CAD, both for the benefit of the community and builders in here, and also for my self to use in the making of my own custom '83 K100. I have been trawling the internet to find 3D models of the K bike, and so far I have only come up with a poor STL scan, see picture below. I was planning on using that as a reference to start out with, and then slowly build it up, part by part. Realistically i se this more as a collaborative task, since the brick (and motorcycles in general) consists of a lot of parts, and hence I will never be able to produce it all in my lifetime :)... In order not to hijack your thread, I should probably create a separate one for this purpose..

Your models should be a huge help to get this thing started! I see and understand your disclaimer :) I will use the dimensions with caution.. Mind I ask, what software are you using? I am modeling in SolidWorks 2017, kindly (unknowingly) provided by my company... My boss will think I am working late :clap:

I also completely respect your business plan for the footrests, go for it!  :2thumbup:

I am looking forward to receive the link for your files..

Rasmus

• Denmark, Copenhagen
  • BMW K100 '83

Offline furnimoto

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #58 on: August 18, 2017, 05:37:40 AM »

I have been trawling the internet to find 3D models of the K bike, and so far I have only come up with a poor STL scan

I found that one too! Unfortunately, it wasn't really very helpful for my purposes. Larry Romestant has some K-bike CAD(http://specialks.net/models/cad/), I considered contacting him and asking him if he would be willing to share his models, but never ended up reaching out to him. I tried to scan my whole bike with an Artec scanner so I could share a model with the community here, but had all sorts of tracking issues. All of the laser tracking metrology equipment I used to scan the headlight, triple clamp, and motronic unit are located on the 2nd floor at work, so I wasn't able to do the whole bike unfortunately.

For modeling, I am using solidworks 2016, for CNC programing I am using mastercam x9, and for solid modeling from point cloud I used geomagic design x for the headlight and triple clamp, and I tried a trial version of the geomagic plugin for solidworks to model the motronic unit(the standalone was much better than the plugin). There is a solidworks add-in for creating a mesh from a point cloud in the seat of solidworks that I have, yours probably has it too. I'll put those point cloud files in that folder too in case you want to play around with creating a solid model from them. Be forewarned though, it is a lot of work to make solid models from point clouds.
  • Oakland, CA

Offline rbroen07

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #59 on: August 21, 2017, 04:58:16 AM »

I found that one too! Unfortunately, it wasn't really very helpful for my purposes. Larry Romestant has some K-bike CAD(http://specialks.net/models/cad/), I considered contacting him and asking him if he would be willing to share his models, but never ended up reaching out to him. I tried to scan my whole bike with an Artec scanner so I could share a model with the community here, but had all sorts of tracking issues. All of the laser tracking metrology equipment I used to scan the headlight, triple clamp, and motronic unit are located on the 2nd floor at work, so I wasn't able to do the whole bike unfortunately.

For modeling, I am using solidworks 2016, for CNC programing I am using mastercam x9, and for solid modeling from point cloud I used geomagic design x for the headlight and triple clamp, and I tried a trial version of the geomagic plugin for solidworks to model the motronic unit(the standalone was much better than the plugin). There is a solidworks add-in for creating a mesh from a point cloud in the seat of solidworks that I have, yours probably has it too. I'll put those point cloud files in that folder too in case you want to play around with creating a solid model from them. Be forewarned though, it is a lot of work to make solid models from point clouds.

Thanks for the info. I just send Larry an e-mail, asking him if he would be willing so share/sell his CAD files. Impressive stuff regarding the scanning equipment! I haven't tried to convert an actual STL file into actual surfaces. Solidworks has some features to do it, but it also takes a lot of work. I have also tried to play around in MeshLab, but nothing serious. My initial thought would be to draw everything from scratch, using the scans as reference.

Do you have a CAD model of the tank? Anyway, looking forward to see your files ;)

Also, please post some more pictures of your build :)

Rasmus
  • Denmark, Copenhagen
  • BMW K100 '83

Offline BRIDGE

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #60 on: August 21, 2017, 10:43:37 AM »
Cool to see someone else has started to get some cad models of the bike being made. Im slowly making parts of my project but can't get my hands on a scanner so I'm taking the long route of drawing and building them myself.

Currently am making the air system as in the process of refining it so have almost completed fully functioning throttle bodies from a 1100 for my 100rs
  • UK
  • 86 K100RS - Project KC

Offline furnimoto

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #61 on: August 22, 2017, 02:45:33 AM »

My initial thought would be to draw everything from scratch, using the scans as reference.

That's pretty much what the process is. I was hoping for something more automated, but in the end it was really just manually creating sketches from cross sections of the point cloud, and making features from those sketches.

I never modeled the tank, but I would be interested if you find a model of it. Let me know what Larry's response is.

I was not able to access the motorbrick site this weekend, I think it was down or something. The models are on my work computer, I'll wrangle them into a folder and post a link tomorrow.
  • Oakland, CA

Offline furnimoto

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #62 on: August 22, 2017, 02:57:33 AM »

Currently am making the air system as in the process of refining it so have almost completed fully functioning throttle bodies from a 1100 for my 100rs

Do you have a thread going for your project? I haven't looked into the air system too much yet, but I would like to modify my air box/fabricate a new one if it is possible to do so while maintaining the functionality of the original one.
  • Oakland, CA

Offline furnimoto

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #63 on: August 22, 2017, 03:05:20 AM »
I machined the mounts for my ammo can tragkorbs. I used a Datron high speed mill this time rather than my usual VMC. I shot some gopro footage and will post a video when I get a chance to sit down and edit another update. In the meantime, here are some pics of the mounts.
  • Oakland, CA

Offline BRIDGE

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #64 on: August 22, 2017, 06:45:32 AM »

Do you have a thread going for your project? I haven't looked into the air system too much yet, but I would like to modify my air box/fabricate a new one if it is possible to do so while maintaining the functionality of the original one.

not yet as am currently working on it when I have time behind closed curtains until I have enough done to do a grand reveal  :bmwsmile  So will probs start a thread up in a month or so as am saving up for fabrication costs.

(here are a few screenshots, I've put a URL so not to take over your thread)

what CAD program do you use as I could send over a copy of it to you so you can have a play. Quite a bit wouldn't be necessary to your bike as I'm trying to work on/hide the air flow mass sensor from the 100rs but can get rid of those for you.
  • UK
  • 86 K100RS - Project KC

Offline furnimoto

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #65 on: August 22, 2017, 07:42:17 PM »

what CAD program do you use as I could send over a copy of it to you so you can have a play. Quite a bit wouldn't be necessary to your bike as I'm trying to work on/hide the air flow mass sensor from the 100rs but can get rid of those for you.

I am using solidworks 2016. Usually most shops around here ask for step files when I shop work out, I guess that file type plays well across software platforms.

Apparently the motronic bikes like mine don't have a MAF, I had assumed that it would've had one, but I guess not. I haven't researched the air system at all yet, but I'm not a huge fan of how the the stock air box looks. I understand that it works well though.
  • Oakland, CA

Offline furnimoto

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #66 on: August 22, 2017, 07:50:13 PM »
Ok, I have started a google drive folder with solid models in it. I exported them as step so no one has to worry about compatibility or future version issues. Some how my lower triple clamp model got messed up so I'll have to spend a bit of time rebuilding it before it goes in the folder. Also, the .txt files are the point clouds in case anyone wants to mess around with those, when you import them, make sure that your units are set to meters.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_8344myoqVLNDhiNjFXaG9PLTQ
  • Oakland, CA

Offline riots100

• ^ Proficient Motobricker
« Reply #67 on: August 23, 2017, 01:01:09 AM »
I have started a google drive folder with solid models in it.

Getting these step files into the motobrick reference area would be great.  As parts for these bikes get more scarce, I can see the time when we will need to start fabricating our parts, whether or not we are doing a custom build or trying to keep our bikes stock.

A case in point are the turn signal lenses in the rear view mirror housing on the RS bricks.
  • Los Angeles, CA
  • 1992 K75, 2007 K1200GT, 1991 K100RS
----
BDJ

Offline BRIDGE

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #68 on: August 23, 2017, 07:45:04 AM »

I am using solidworks 2016. Usually most shops around here ask for step files when I shop work out, I guess that file type plays well across software platforms.

Apparently the motronic bikes like mine don't have a MAF, I had assumed that it would've had one, but I guess not. I haven't researched the air system at all yet, but I'm not a huge fan of how the the stock air box looks. I understand that it works well though.

Ah nice I was on solidworks but recently made the swap to fusion 360 because of work and yep step files are the most transferable format. (edit: The files transfer without a hitch http://a360.co/2iosLJ8 - I put your bar riser together as a test)

I'll get onto finishing the final details of the throttle bodies (butterflies, springs, etc.) and I'll post it so that anyone can work with it.
  • UK
  • 86 K100RS - Project KC

Offline BRIDGE

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #69 on: August 23, 2017, 08:11:28 AM »

Getting these step files into the motobrick reference area would be great.  As parts for these bikes get more scarce, I can see the time when we will need to start fabricating our parts, whether or not we are doing a custom build or trying to keep our bikes stock.

A case in point are the turn signal lenses in the rear view mirror housing on the RS bricks.

I agree having thread/area where people can share cad files would be a great resource.

Is this the part?

https://www.motorworks.co.uk/bmw/prodimages/lg/LIK53001.jpg

I'm always looking for things to do in my free time at work, so I give it some thought. You could possibly make a silicon mould of a pair of originals and then it would be possible to churn them out as there is always a need for them.
  • UK
  • 86 K100RS - Project KC

Offline rbroen07

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #70 on: August 23, 2017, 08:53:11 AM »
Ok, I have started a google drive folder with solid models in it. I exported them as step so no one has to worry about compatibility or future version issues. Some how my lower triple clamp model got messed up so I'll have to spend a bit of time rebuilding it before it goes in the folder. Also, the .txt files are the point clouds in case anyone wants to mess around with those, when you import them, make sure that your units are set to meters.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_8344myoqVLNDhiNjFXaG9PLTQ

Thanks for sharing the files! good stuff..

Can you perhaps share the frame as well.. I am aware that you have eye balled the dimensions, but it would be good to have anyway )

Rasmus
  • Denmark, Copenhagen
  • BMW K100 '83

Offline furnimoto

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #71 on: August 24, 2017, 01:38:03 AM »

Getting these step files into the motobrick reference area would be great.

I agree with you guys, adding these to the motobrick hive mind is an excellent idea. How awesome would it be if we had access to k-bike CAD rather than having to model them ourselves. I think if we can get a thread going with solid models pinned to the project k-bikes section, it would be pretty beneficial to future motobrickers looking for CAD. I am happy to host the folder in my google drive, I changed the sharing settings to allow anyone with the link to edit the folder. I don't know who to talk to about pinning threads though.
  • Oakland, CA

Offline furnimoto

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #72 on: August 24, 2017, 01:40:42 AM »

Can you perhaps share the frame as well

Sorry, I didn't think to add that one originally. It's in the folder now.
  • Oakland, CA

Offline furnimoto

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #73 on: September 18, 2017, 01:37:05 AM »
Here is the video of me making the tragkorb mounts, I'll do a full project update video once I get the seat assembly welded up. Fun fact: it took me way longer to edit this video than it did to design and make the actual parts.

• Oakland, CA

Tags: