Author Topic: Project Apokalypse  (Read 35909 times)

Offline furnimoto

• ^ Motobrick Curious
Project Apokalypse
« on: October 22, 2016, 04:35:55 AM »
Hello Brickers,

I thought I would start a thread on my project bike. I fully expect it to end up in the "Ugliest custom K you've ever seen?" thread at some point as it is not going to conform to traditional restoration or cafe racer standards. None the less, I am committed to and excited by this project. I am going to learn a lot and do many things that I have never done before. Preemptively, I have decided to answer a few of your questions:

The reason I wanted to ruin a perfectly good K1100 is because I am an idiot.

Yes, I realize that a K1100 is a terrible choice for a scrambler type project. The reason I chose this bike for this project is because I love the fact that it is shaft drive, has a single sided swingarm, and it has a bulletproof brick of an engine...and I'm an idiot.

...and finally(if you choose to watch the following youtube videos) since I know that many of the forum members here are of a more distinguished age than me. I do, in fact, have the worst taste in music.

So without further adieu, I present Project apoKalypse:

I picked up the k1100rs in what seems to be pretty good mechanical condition, but it had been crashed/dropped on the right side and by the look of things a bit neglected. Sorry in advance to any purists who hate to see these modified, but this one is going to get pretty crazy. My plan is to make it into a wasteland scrambler/desert sled. I don't want the finished project to be cartoony or look like it was decorated to be post apocalyptic, I'm hoping that it ends up looking like a purpose built machine that would be a capable tool in a post apocalyptic wasteland. Since my forte is machining parts rather than metal fabrication, it will probably end up being more polished than mad max. I'm planning on documenting this project on youtube, here is the first/intro video:

• Oakland, CA
  • 1996 bmw k1100rs, 1973 bmw r75/5, 2015 ducati diavel

Offline furnimoto

• ^ Motobrick Curious
Re: Project Apokalypse
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2016, 04:42:28 AM »

My first actual project on this bike after removing the plastics was footpegs and mounting brackets. I had some difficulties measuring hole locations initially. I decided to make a tool so I could precisely measure the hole locations.
  • Oakland, CA

Offline furnimoto

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2016, 04:50:49 AM »

The footpegs have proven to be a lot of work so far, but I think they turned out pretty good. They are a bit aggressive though, with the m3 setscrew cleats. I may have to change them if they seem like they will chew through my boot soles too quickly.
  • Oakland, CA

Offline furnimoto

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2016, 04:59:35 AM »
I have procured a 2015 r1200gs LED headlight for project apokalypse. Here it is mocked up with zipties. Personally, I think it looks pretty amazing, but I still have to work out how exactly I want to mount it. I'll update when I figure it out
  • Oakland, CA

Offline Mike Flores

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2016, 02:55:06 PM »
This is pretty incredible man, can't wait to see where to take this. Those footpegs look awesome man!
  • Los Angeles, CA
  • 1987 K100

Online The Mighty Gryphon

• Administrator
  • ^ Quintessential Motobricker
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2016, 04:03:22 PM »
Not to hit on you in particular, but just a question I've had for some time whenever I see someone build a scrambler/desert bike from a K bike.

Do you intend to operate off road at the full speed capability of the engine, or just paddle along at 10-15 mph in 1st and 2nd gear?  Are you building a serious machine, or will it be a full size model of something that might be seen in a video game? 

I ask this because from what I can see the K bikes, especially the RS models are road bikes seriously lacking in suspension travel and geometry for off road work, especially in the rear end where they barely equal the standards of mid 70's street/trail bikes.  At the front I suspect there are issues with rake and trail combined with an awful lot of weight that will result in the front wheel plowing with huge understeer in the dirt. 

Seems like a bit of a waste to have all that work in a machine that would probably do some real damage to itself and you the first time you take it off road and open it even half way up. 

Just wondering...
  • In my garage in Marilla, NY
  • '91K100RS White/Blue
Current:
'91 K100RS16V "Moby Brick Too"

Past:
'94 K75RT "Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS"
'92 K100RS16V "Moby Brick" (RIP, deceased in a vehicular assault)
'94 K75S Special Edition Dakar Yellow "Cheetos"
'89 K100RS Special Edition "Special Ed"

Offline The Dude

• ^ SuperNatural Motobricker
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2016, 04:13:10 PM »
Your hole centre calliper is awsome!Although a little "over the top" ....You're speedo mounting would indeed be apocalyptic if you attempted to check your velocity.That's totally over the top! :hehehe
Not to hit on you in particular, but just a question I've had for some time whenever I see someone build a scrambler/desert bike from a K bike.

Do you intend to operate off road at the full speed capability of the engine, or just paddle along at 10-15 mph in 1st and 2nd gear?  Are you building a serious machine, or will it be a full size model of something that might be seen in a video game? 

I ask this because from what I can see the K bikes, especially the RS models are road bikes seriously lacking in suspension travel and geometry for off road work, especially in the rear end where they barely equal the standards of mid 70's street/trail bikes.  At the front I suspect there are issues with rake and trail combined with an awful lot of weight that will result in the front wheel plowing with huge understeer in the dirt. 

Seems like a bit of a waste to have all that work in a machine that would probably do some real damage to itself and you the first time you take it off road and open it even half way up. 

Just wondering...
Gryph,it's project Apokalypse!
  • Auckland, New Zealand
  • K75s
Current.
TR6R 1973 from new.
Moto guzzi 850 III .1983 from,almost, new.
K75S 1986 from new.vin-0103141
On my second millionth km.give or take a hundred k Kay's.
"The Dude abides. I don't know about you but I take comfort in that. It's good knowin' he's out there."
All the best!

Online The Mighty Gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2016, 04:41:10 PM »
Ok, I think I see, it's really a mechanical sculpture, an artistic expression, and not really intended to be used to cover a lot of unpaved open land as quickly as possible.  Makes sense, kinda like the 21st century version of the tail fins on a 1959 Cadillac. 
  • In my garage in Marilla, NY
  • '91K100RS White/Blue
Current:
'91 K100RS16V "Moby Brick Too"

Past:
'94 K75RT "Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS"
'92 K100RS16V "Moby Brick" (RIP, deceased in a vehicular assault)
'94 K75S Special Edition Dakar Yellow "Cheetos"
'89 K100RS Special Edition "Special Ed"

Offline furnimoto

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2016, 05:47:20 PM »
This is pretty incredible man, can't wait to see where to take this. Those footpegs look awesome man!

Thanks, the foot pegs were an incredible amount of work. I designed and modeled multiple versions, made 4 different fixtures for them, and they have, by far, the most 3d tooolpaths in a single part that I have ever done.
  • Oakland, CA

Offline furnimoto

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2016, 05:48:44 PM »
Gryph,it's project Apokalypse!

YAAAAS!!!
  • Oakland, CA

Offline furnimoto

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2016, 05:55:37 PM »
Ok, I think I see, it's really a mechanical sculpture, an artistic expression, and not really intended to be used to cover a lot of unpaved open land as quickly as possible.  Makes sense, kinda like the 21st century version of the tail fins on a 1959 Cadillac.

Yes, the goal on this project is not to make the most capable off road machine. I really just wanted to machine some cool motorcycle parts, learn how to weld, and make something fun along the way. Though I do plan on putting some dual sport tires on it, my off road time will likely be limited at best.
  • Oakland, CA

Offline Boxermann

• ^ Proficient Motobricker
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2016, 03:04:05 PM »
Love the concept. I'm planning to build something similar after I've finished the two projects I have going on now.

Awesome foot pegs!

Subscribed!
  • Norway
  • K100 / '87, K75 / '87

Offline furnimoto

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2016, 11:41:00 PM »
Love the concept. I'm planning to build something similar after I've finished the two projects I have going on now.

Awesome foot pegs!

Subscribed!

Thanks, man. Start a thread when you start your scrambler project. I am about to machine some handlebar risers tomorrow. I'll update with some pics when they are done.
  • Oakland, CA

Offline branandfox

• Loraine. K1050RS
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2016, 01:15:43 AM »
So I have been looking at headlights and making a parts list as I am going to be reworking my already reworked K100 and turning it more into a street fighter; I really like that R1200GS headlight you got and it would go GREAT with my concept idea. mine is going to be a little more street than post apocalypse but mind sharing on where you got that snazzy headlamp and how much? I am also looking into a custom air induction, clamp on bars, and more.  :popcorm
Hit the throttle and live.
Don't blink.
Don't slow.
Just breathe.

Offline furnimoto

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2016, 06:02:25 PM »
So I have been looking at headlights and making a parts list as I am going to be reworking my already reworked K100 and turning it more into a street fighter; I really like that R1200GS headlight you got and it would go GREAT with my concept idea. mine is going to be a little more street than post apocalypse but mind sharing on where you got that snazzy headlamp and how much? I am also looking into a custom air induction, clamp on bars, and more.  :popcorm

Well to be honest, the headlight was almost as much as the whole bike. It was hard to justify, but I just kept envisioning it on the project, and ultimately just decided to do it. The new oem parts are crazy, something like $1500 for the headlight, and another $500 or so for the control unit. The control unit is necessary to control the fan inside the headlight assembly, and it is definitely not a plug and play solution. I ended up getting some used components on ebay from a guy who also reprogrammed the control unit for me for $1000. I know it's stupid expensive, but I really liked the idea of frankensteining new and old bmw parts together.

Before I decided to go with the LED r1200gs headlight, I was looking at f800gs headlights. They are also pretty cool, and I think you can get one on ebay for  around $200-500. Another one worth looking into, depending on your budget, is the JW Speaker adaptive headlight: https://www.jwspeaker.com/products/adaptive-led-headlights-model-8790-adaptive/
It's got some really cool technology, but for me I was just really into the asymmetry of the bmw headlights.
  • Oakland, CA

Offline Laitch

• Faster than a speeding pullet
  • Administrator
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2016, 06:31:00 PM »
Another one worth looking into, depending on your budget, is the JW Speaker adaptive headlight:
That is compellingly weird. The trouble is "the dark void of light going into a corner as the bike leans" that the JW Speaker eliminates is part of the thrill of night riding. :giggles  Moonlight helps though, sometimes.
  • Along the Ridley in Vermont.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles
I wept because I had no radials until I met a man who had no splines.
https://tinyurl.com/RillRider

Offline furnimoto

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2016, 06:33:35 PM »
So the shop that I run in SF is moving to Mountain View in December. I will not be able to store project apoKalypse at the new shop, so I have been hustling to try and get it to a road worthy before the move. I will not be able to machine new triple clamps before then so I decided to make these bar risers in the meantime.
  • Oakland, CA

Offline furnimoto

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2016, 06:36:00 PM »
I got some cool enduro bars, and a master cylinder and clutch perch from a s1000rr. Here is how they are looking with the new risers
  • Oakland, CA

Offline furnimoto

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2016, 06:40:57 PM »
That is compellingly weird. The trouble is "the dark void of light going into a corner as the bike leans" that the JW Speaker eliminates is part of the thrill of night riding. :giggles  Moonlight helps though, sometimes.

It's pretty crazy, check out some video of the headlight:
https://youtu.be/J8uYv_dnCxo?t=13s
  • Oakland, CA

Offline Laitch

• Faster than a speeding pullet
  • Administrator
« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2016, 06:50:30 PM »
It's pretty crazy, check out some video of the headlight:
Thanks for the link! It's pretty impressive. Breathtaking price, too.
  • Along the Ridley in Vermont.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles
I wept because I had no radials until I met a man who had no splines.
https://tinyurl.com/RillRider

Offline branandfox

• Loraine. K1050RS
« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2016, 09:36:46 PM »
yeah, I have looked at those JW speaker speakers. I have been on the fence on getting one because I really like the asymmetry of the GS headlights and I had thought about the K1200R headlamp too but I do really like the JW lamp as a fallback especially if its easy to wire in. My inspiration for my newer build, though it won't be near as intensive comes from impuls's K101 rebuilds seen here http://hiconsumption.com/2016/03/bmw-k100-dual-motorcycles-by-impuls/ . I have looked all over for this headlight as there are articles that post some of their parts lists but I can't find it. I really like the LED in theirs and the GS lamp but the 1K pricetag on that GS lamp is more than I am willing haha. good looking risers by the way, I am going for clip ons and lower bars  :2thumbup:
Hit the throttle and live.
Don't blink.
Don't slow.
Just breathe.

Offline pablooo

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2016, 09:45:28 PM »
What are you using for your clutch and brake lever assembly?
  • Austin, Tx
  • BMW K100, FZ-07

Offline furnimoto

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2016, 11:00:41 PM »
yeah, I have looked at those JW speaker speakers. I have been on the fence on getting one because I really like the asymmetry of the GS headlights and I had thought about the K1200R headlamp too but I do really like the JW lamp as a fallback especially if its easy to wire in. My inspiration for my newer build, though it won't be near as intensive comes from impuls's K101 rebuilds seen here http://hiconsumption.com/2016/03/bmw-k100-dual-motorcycles-by-impuls/ . I have looked all over for this headlight as there are articles that post some of their parts lists but I can't find it. I really like the LED in theirs and the GS lamp but the 1K pricetag on that GS lamp is more than I am willing haha. good looking risers by the way, I am going for clip ons and lower bars  :2thumbup:

Yeah those are sweet, I've definitely spent some time drooling over those. I don't know that it is the same one, but here is a headlight that is pretty close:
http://www.motorcyclepartsmegastore.com/replacement-headlight-black-v-rod-02-l-custom-app-rpls-hd-68880-01.html
  • Oakland, CA

Offline furnimoto

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2016, 11:02:16 PM »
What are you using for your clutch and brake lever assembly?

They are from a bmw s1000rr
  • Oakland, CA

Offline duckytran

« Reply #24 on: November 08, 2016, 09:58:41 AM »

Today is your lucky day. The headlight used on the Impul's builds can be purchased from this site. The problem is that they don't ship to the U.S. I purchase my headlight from this site, but had it shipped to a co-worker's daughter living in Germany. She then shipped it to me. The overall cost will be a hella less than the $1k for the GS lamp. Perhaps there's some folks on this forum living in Germany that can help you out.

http://www.brands4bikes.de/beleuchtung/scheinwerfer/hauptscheinwerfer/shin-yo-universal-scheinwerfer-oval-mit-standlicht-schwarz-12v-h9-h11-e-gepr.html

This is what I'm using on my K75 build. I have some pics posted on this forum.

http://www.brands4bikes.de/beleuchtung/scheinwerfer/hauptscheinwerfer/shin-yo-ellipsoid-scheinwerfer-cyclops.html

http://www.motobrick.com/index.php/topic,8956.0.html

Alternately, have you looked into the LSL Urban headlight? Bikernut just posted his build with this headlight.

http://www.motobrick.com/index.php/topic,9169.0.html

http://www.speedmotoco.com/product-p/048-1-0004.htm

Good luck,
  • Austin, Texas
  • 1993 K75, 1981 R65

Tags: