Author Topic: Building a bike that the mods will wish they had  (Read 67151 times)

Offline racket

• Motobrick Curious
Re: Building a bike that the mods will wish they had
« Reply #150 on: May 30, 2017, 10:15:21 AM »
but a Microsquirt or Megasquirt to control everything is the best way to guarantee your turbo bike is running properly in all states and conditions.

I had recommended this earlier in the thread, but OP wished to stay on a budget and a $500+ MS system blows that out of the water pretty quickly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Philadelphia, PA
  • 1986 BMW K100

Offline Arktasian

• ^ Proficient Motobricker
« Reply #151 on: May 30, 2017, 11:01:34 AM »
I had recommended this earlier in the thread, but OP wished to stay on a budget and a $500+ MS system blows that out of the water pretty quickly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fair enough and you'll note I offered that advice with the word "Ultimately" in recognition that many if not most will never venture down the MS pathway (and with good reason as it is a technical endeavour requiring utmost adherence to detail and specifics).

However, if you wish to play you may eventually have to pay.

The original systems did a pretty good job maintaining timing and fuel control for a naturally aspirated engine, those same systems with a piggy back fuel regulator addition etc. may not necessarily follow suit - especially under even the suggested 8psi of boost. Detonation potential is real and devastating in a few seconds to an otherwise healthy motor. At least with an O2 gauge and sensor you are able to keep tabs on things and know if you're playing with the devil.
  • Abbotsford

Offline Arktasian

« Reply #152 on: May 31, 2017, 10:40:39 AM »
Below is a link of sorts ** for the RB test on their internal "turbo drain" suction device (seems like the sound may be broken). Without their explanation, during the first test the line is left hanging with a plug on it for free drain flow to accumulate in the tupper-ware. The 2nd part is with the plug removed from the line and it sucking oil back to reservoir while turbo drains into vessel.

The other method that was used to properly scavenge the oil out of the cartridge back into the pan was with an electric gear pump (would be my choice on the low turbo mount as adding a port to the main oil pump suction bell seems to add a potential for aeration and possible issues with bottom end lubrication)

This is on a K1200 where turbo is rearward, but similar tech:

Link is finicky, and wouldn't paste so I'll just link the page and about 3/4 way down you can click on this image for the movie

https://www.rbracing-rsr.com/bmwK1200.html

If you have the internal suction tee and check valve set up, and during a test the oil builds in the drain tray faster than it is pulled away, then you might have oil building past the shaft seals and causing your oil burning/ coking etc.
Offered just in case you don't have this info.
  • Abbotsford

Offline milq

« Reply #153 on: May 31, 2017, 10:47:00 AM »

Who's Leila?

Seems that the bike may be working its magic already!
  • Southern IL
  • 1988 K75S

Offline BENSPEN

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #154 on: May 31, 2017, 09:00:35 PM »

If thats this bike's "magic" it was a waste of time

as for the megasquirt topic, I would love to get a megasquirt/microsquirt system, its very hard to understand the augmentation of the system, especially since the motorcycle does not currently run correctly. I will check back in mid summer when the bike is broken in and my wallet is a little more full  :yes

as for the oil scavenging system, Ill have to check it, I just have to figure out how to  properly plug the pan line. i had never seen that before and didn't know how in depth rb racing went with their engineering.

more pics to come....

• VT
  • 87 K100rs

Offline Arktasian

« Reply #155 on: June 01, 2017, 08:57:46 AM »
Most likely a male AN8 fitting - common North American supply item.
  • Abbotsford

Tags: