Author Topic: 87 K75C, Bone Stock and DONE.  (Read 135592 times)

Offline trek97

• ^ Proficient Motobricker
  • The Anti-Cafe racer
87 K75C, Bone Stock and DONE.
« on: October 04, 2016, 07:12:55 AM »
Good morning guys,

Name is Eric, 49yo Elevator repair Mechanic at the University of Illinois, and I was not looking for another bike.  Currently have 3 old Hondas sitting in my garage.  My brother got me into riding and wrenching on bikes abut 6 years ago.  So, definitely not alot of motorcycle experience.

As stated,  "I was not actually looking to get another machine".  But, up early 2 Saturdays ago, sitting here in my garage perusing Craigslist, simply to pass the time while waking up.  I ran across this ad...

Ride it home...Huh?

Assuming it was already gone.  I shot the guy a quick email.  Turns out he just posted the thing and I was the first to reply.  So, the wife and I hopped in the car and ran into check it out.

Next thing I knew this happened.

so now Im a BMW owner.

28k miles on the clock.  Bikes been parked for the past 2 years.  Garage kept but years of long days spent sitting on a hot asphalt parking lot during working hours.  The sun has taken its toll.  Overall seems to be a solid machine so far.  Everything on the dash works.

Shes been tipped once or twice over the years...assuming the guy parked it on the center stand.  I suspect in an attempt to alleviate the "smoking on startup thing."

broken signal and tweeked handlebars.

So, I downloaded the BMW workshop manual from carlsalter.com, got busy reading and ordering some safety and maintenance items.

Full maintenance kit + supplement kit from bobsbmw.com
brake pads
Shinko 712s
ebay bars, signals and tragkorbs
cheapy gaitors from amazon

By Tuesday it started raining boxes of parts. 

Tires showed up on Tuesday.  So I got em pulled off Wednesday and got em mounted at my buddy Tims place.  Hes got a machine setup in his garage.  nice.

thats Tim and YES he does have shag carpet on his garage floor!!!

Friday evening I pulled the final drive and driveshaft out.  Cleaned and greased w Moly 77 I picked up at Subaru dealership.

This past Saturday and Sunday, I worked on the front end.  Stripping nasty black off the forks, replacing fork oil, cleaning and replacing brake pads...

The kit from bobsbmw included oil and new crush washers.

The old pads were separating.

Cleaned up as best I could.  New pads installed.

Torqued to spec. 

Gonna get ready to change brake fluid and do some more cleaning.
  • Illinois
  • 87 K75C

Offline trek97

• The Anti-Cafe racer
Re: New member, New to me 87 K75c
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2016, 07:40:29 AM »
Also, I have ZERO BMW experience.  Im just going by what Im reading from the manual, buddies and, for what its worth "ONLINE".

So, if anyone sees I have missed something or has any tips or tech advise. 

Please let me know.
Thanks
  • Illinois
  • 87 K75C

Offline Brad-Man

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2016, 07:41:35 AM »
WelKome!
  • Marietta, GA
  • '85 K100
Toys don't make the Man - Man makes the Toys...
'74 RD350
'75 RD350 w/Modified 400 engine, Chambers & MZB iggy

Offline Laitch

• Faster than a speeding pullet
  • Administrator
  • ^ Quintessential Motobricker
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2016, 08:12:16 AM »
That's a great first post, trek97. Welcome. You should start a thread in the Projects section with photos of your continuing work.

Clean up the hollow end of your driveshaft and your rear drive shaft splines and post straight-on photos of them. We're always interested in those.
  • Along the Ridley in Vermont.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles
I wept because I had no radials until I met a man who had no splines.
https://tinyurl.com/RillRider

Offline The Dude

• ^ SuperNatural Motobricker
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2016, 01:47:52 PM »
Welcome trek97.nice find,meant to be your's!
28kmiles(genuine)is special.All the best.
  • Auckland, New Zealand
  • K75s
Current.
TR6R 1973 from new.
Moto guzzi 850 III .1983 from,almost, new.
K75S 1986 from new.vin-0103141
On my second millionth km.give or take a hundred k Kay's.
"The Dude abides. I don't know about you but I take comfort in that. It's good knowin' he's out there."
All the best!

Offline Martin

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2016, 04:29:43 PM »
Welcome to the asylum from OZ. Check the hoses and fuel pump damper in the tank they can turn to goo. If the damper is OK replace the filter and hoses with  fully submersible SAE 30R10 5/16 hose. Replace all the external fuel hoses with fuel injection rated hose. Check and replace the breather hose (Z hose). Clean the electrical connectors with Deoxit and apply dielectric grease, copper grease or silicon grease. Some riders don't like using grease on the connectors, I believe it stops moisture getting in and causing corrosion.  I can see by your  parts that you are going to flush the cooling system use only distilled water with your coolant. Change the engine oil and filter clean the air cleaner element and check for critters.Also check your valve clearances.
Regards Martin.
  • North Lakes Queensland Australia
  • 1992 K75s Hybrid, Lefaux, Vespa V twin.

Offline Elipten

New member, New to me 87 K75c
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2016, 05:01:00 PM »
Glad to see a project that is not a cafe conversion.

Check all the fuel lines and dampener in the gas tank. 

Welcome to a great motorcycle.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • San Antonio, TX
  • 1990 K75RT

Offline herseyb

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2016, 06:06:41 PM »
Looks like you're well on your way.

I'm jealous of that windscreen - I have an aftermarket one for my k75 standard that I suspect doesn't work nearly as well.
  • Brooklyn
  • '93 K1100RS

Offline trek97

• The Anti-Cafe racer
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2016, 07:41:20 PM »
WelKome!

Thanks Brad-Man!  Or google translate...Vielen Dank Brad-Man

That's a great first post, trek97. Welcome. You should start a thread in the Projects section with photos of your continuing work.

Clean up the hollow end of your driveshaft and your rear drive shaft splines and post straight-on photos of them. We're always interested in those.

Thanks.  and Dang it, sorry!  The only thing I didnt get a decent pic of.  The splines actually looked real good and straight.  They were due for Grease.  They were just going shiny on the very corners of the flat tops.  But, still sharp edges and flat tops, not worn to points or anything remotely close to that.  I ran a sharp screwdriver and dug all the hard grease out of the bottoms of each spline, and there are a lot of bottoms. lol.  Nothing at all even questionable about them. 
The U-joint felt good too. 

But I will post a question about them at the bottom of this post, so I may get to post a pic yet.  HA!

Welcome trek97.nice find,meant to be your's!
28kmiles(genuine)is special.All the best.

Thanks!  I was shocked when it popped up on CL.  Im like "too good to be true"  but everything so far has been good on it.
And yes, as far as I know they are genuine miles.  The odo/speedo works fine.  and even though I have never met him before, the PO works at the University too.  He only had it a week.  I think his wife may have blown a gasket when he brought it home.
He bought it from his aging buddy, he had last parked it in 2014.  Who, apparently rode it a handful of miles daily to and from work, for the most part.  Never had tragkorbs on it.  So maybe no Loong trips.

I have no reason not to believe the guy.

Welcome to the asylum from OZ. Check the hoses and fuel pump damper in the tank they can turn to goo. If the damper is OK replace the filter and hoses with  fully submersible SAE 30R10 5/16 hose. Replace all the external fuel hoses with fuel injection rated hose. Check and replace the breather hose (Z hose). Clean the electrical connectors with Deoxit and apply dielectric grease, copper grease or silicon grease. Some riders don't like using grease on the connectors, I believe it stops moisture getting in and causing corrosion.  I can see by your  parts that you are going to flush the cooling system use only distilled water with your coolant. Change the engine oil and filter clean the air cleaner element and check for critters.Also check your valve clearances.
Regards Martin.

The kit came w a fuel filter and the breather (Z hose), air filter and oil filter and gaskets.  Funny though the kit came w BMW 10w40.  Manual says 10w40 is for pretty cold weather.  So, I picked up Valvoline 20w50 motorcycle oil.  (The garden tractor will get the BMW 10w40 when I pull the deck and install the snow plow this fall)

Hres a list of the 2 kits I got...They were pricey but sure made it quick and easy for a first timer.  I want to ride a bit before the snow flies.

THIS Kit contains:
• 4 Quarts 10W40 Engine Oil (NOTE: currently shipping Belray brand oil as BMW 10W40 is NLA)
• 2 Quarts 80W90 Hypoid Gear Oil
• 1 Quart 11.5 Wt Fork Oil*
• 1 DOT4 Brake Fluid, 12 oz.
• 1 Gallon Coolant
• 1 Oil Filter Change Kit
• 1 Air Filter
• 1 Fuel Filter
• 2 Hose Clamps for Fuel Filter
• 1 Fuel Cap Gasket
• 1 Radiator Cap Gasket - Outer
• 1 Radiator Cap Gasket - Inner
• 5 Various Crush Washers required for fill & drain plugs on engine/drive train

THIS Kit contains:
• 3 X5DC BOSCH Spark Plugs
• 1 Valve Cover Gasket, Outer
• 1 Valve Cover Gasket, Inner
• 2 Camshaft End Plugs
• 1 Breather Hose
• 2 Vacuum Nipple Caps
• 2 Crush Washers for Fork Oil Fill Plugs
• 2 Crush Washers for Fork Oil Drain Plugs
All parts are Genuine BMW Parts.

I will certainly check on the other hoses you refer to.  Do that work this winter.

Gotcha covered on the Deoxit and grease. 

Looks like you're well on your way.

I'm jealous of that windscreen - I have an aftermarket one for my k75 standard that I suspect doesn't work nearly as well.

Thanks bud the windscreen is pretty decent.  Its got a few rock chips but certainly in usable condition.

• Illinois
  • 87 K75C

Offline Filmcamera

« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2016, 07:54:51 PM »
Can I ask where you got the kits?

Might be a useful resource
  • San Jose, Costa Rica
  • 1991 K100RS 16v ABS1, 2018 Triumph Street Triple RS 765
Poserbricker

Offline D.Bachtel

« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2016, 08:19:50 PM »
Welcome and congrats on the ride it home K75C. :2thumbup:
An 87 is a fine choice. Got one myself just about a year ago.
 It was all apart and not ridehomeable. Not down to the crank but all the plastics and electrics were in boxes. Partially stripped down.
The previous owner got confused and then got cancer...

All I had to do was sort it out and purchase $400 worth of new and used parts.
I'm envious of your low miles, mine just rolled over to 70k.

Don in Nipomo
  • Nipomo
  • BSA, Zundapp, Husqvarna, Greeves, Triumph...and a 1987 K75C

Offline trek97

• The Anti-Cafe racer
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2016, 08:21:41 PM »
Glad to see a project that is not a cafe conversion.

Check all the fuel lines and dampener in the gas tank. 

Welcome to a great motorcycle.

thaks dude!  and yes absolutely no "Cafe" on this one...been there done that.  Time for a grown up bike.

Cant say the old Honda 360 isnt a barrel of monkeys though.

First motorcycle I ever owned and rode...6 years ago.

76 CB360

Heres the bike now.  Did 99% of the work myself.  All but any welding, my buddy Greg is a trustworthy welder and works for steak and beer.

A little ride vid of me on 360 following my Buddy Jared on his CB550? riding mountain roads in down in Kentucky.

Also, I restored a CL100 I inherited from my uncle John.  He bought the bike new in 1972.  Last plated and running 78.

Earlier this past spring, 8 week project...Working overtime on it.  My Uncle wasnt doing so good at the time.  Better now though.

the ultimate award.  My Uncle John giving me the THUMBS UP!  Ol'boy really enjoyed watching me tear around the parking lot on that little beast. 

My nephew and wife both learned and took their very first motorcycle rides on it!!!  Fun times

• Illinois
  • 87 K75C

Offline trek97

• The Anti-Cafe racer
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2016, 08:26:05 PM »
Welcome and congrats on the ride it home K75C. :2thumbup:
An 87 is a fine choice. Got one myself just about a year ago.
 It was all apart and not ridehomeable. Not down to the crank but all the plastics and electrics were in boxes. Partially stripped down.
The previous owner got confused and then got cancer...

All I had to do was sort it out and purchase $400 worth of new and used parts.
I'm envious of your low miles, mine just rolled over to 70k.

Don in Nipomo

NICE bro!  Your bike came out super clean!  So far I spent more more than $400!!!  Youre doing pretty dang good there.

Loving the RED!  Im not the biggest fan of Black.  However its gonna stay Black for a while.  I was thinking a nice subtle blue for mine, one day.
  • Illinois
  • 87 K75C

Offline stokester

« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2016, 08:31:15 PM »
Thanks for the great photos and info on your "new" brick.

Looks like you are well on your way for it to be roadworthy.  This site as well as Snowbums http://bmwmotorcycletech.info (it does take a bit to find the great tech info), Anton's http://www.largiader.com and others have helped me along the way.

I always carry an extra clutch cable which saved me not but 10 miles from home after a two-week trip.  You may want to check yours and clean and lube it if it's OK and keep an extra on hand.

• Yorktown Virginia
  • '94 K75S Dakar Yellow - '93 K75S Seiden Blau - '91 R100RT Bermuda Blue- '78 R100S Smoke Red

Offline trek97

• The Anti-Cafe racer
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2016, 08:37:51 PM »
OK guys I got a question.

Reffiting the drive shaft.  I worked it around and got splines lined up...and pushed it in by hand until it sorta popped into place.  It slide in nice and smooth and i gave it a couple more pushes just to be sure it was home. 

I pulled it pretty hard w greasy fingers and it wouldnt come out easily.

Is this as far in as it should go?  Please see pic.  this is how I left it when reassembled.

ALSO, I cleaned and dried the machined surfaces w acetone.  Should I have put a little "something" on them?  When I pulled them apart they were clean.  Just old melted and hard grease laying in the bottom.  I cleaned it out.

• Illinois
  • 87 K75C

Offline trek97

• The Anti-Cafe racer
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2016, 08:40:55 PM »
Thanks for the great photos and info on your "new" brick.

Looks like you are well on your way for it to be roadworthy.  This site as well as Snowbums http://bmwmotorcycletech.info (it does take a bit to find the great tech info), Anton's http://www.largiader.com and others have helped me along the way.

I always carry an extra clutch cable which saved me not but 10 miles from home after a two-week trip.  You may want to check yours and clean and lube it if it's OK and keep an extra on hand.

Thanks dude. and Thanks for the info!!!  Knowledge is power!  I fleeting thought about lubing cables along the way.  But w everything else Ive been doing.  Honestly did slip my mind.  I will write it on the list now.  Thanks again!!!
  • Illinois
  • 87 K75C

Offline stokester

« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2016, 08:47:09 PM »
Thanks dude. and Thanks for the info!!!  Knowledge is power!  I fleeting thought about lubing cables along the way.  But w everything else Ive been doing.  Honestly did slip my mind.  I will write it on the list now.  Thanks again!!!
They break at the barrel in the clutch lever so clean and lube there to allow a smooth rotation.  To my knowledge BMW cables themselves are those that should not be lubed because they have a teflon coated shield.
  • Yorktown Virginia
  • '94 K75S Dakar Yellow - '93 K75S Seiden Blau - '91 R100RT Bermuda Blue- '78 R100S Smoke Red

Offline trek97

• The Anti-Cafe racer
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2016, 08:49:43 PM »
They break at the barrel in the clutch lever so clean and lube there to allow a smooth rotation.  To my knowledge BMW cables themselves are those that should not be lubed because they have a teflon coated shield.

I recall reading in the BMW workshop manual to Lube the cable ends.  I will try to find it again to double check.  Also I will look for teflon coated sheilds.
  • Illinois
  • 87 K75C

Offline trek97

• The Anti-Cafe racer
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2016, 08:50:47 PM »
BTW did you see my drive shaft question a couple posts above?
  • Illinois
  • 87 K75C

Offline trek97

• The Anti-Cafe racer
« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2016, 08:59:40 PM »
From the BMW workshop manual.

• Illinois
  • 87 K75C

Offline trek97

• The Anti-Cafe racer
« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2016, 09:05:41 PM »
Sorry guys,

would a Forum Admin, Moderator or Facilitator please move this thread to "Projects"

Thanks
  • Illinois
  • 87 K75C

Offline Chaos

• Administrator
  • Mars needs women!
« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2016, 09:20:08 PM »
Great find.  Looks to be a K75T, a package BMWNA added to the C.  Higher bars, windshield, seat, luggage and many had fork mounted driving lights. 
  • sw ohio
1987 K75S    VIN 0231
Original owner, Original litter
200,000 miles (plus or minus) and 5 paint jobs
sold 6/23
2023 Ural 2WD sidecar (BMW's bastard step child)

Offline trek97

• The Anti-Cafe racer
« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2016, 09:28:21 PM »
Great find.  Looks to be a K75T, a package BMWNA added to the C.  Higher bars, windshield, seat, luggage and many had fork mounted driving lights.

Thanks and thanks for info.  I had no idea.  thought it was a plain ole C.  No fork driving lights.   I picked up the tragkorbs on ebay.  But everything else came as is.
  • Illinois
  • 87 K75C

Offline trek97

• The Anti-Cafe racer
« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2016, 09:31:43 PM »
  • Illinois
  • 87 K75C

Offline Filmcamera