Author Topic: Summer Mesh Jacket ( Problem Solved)  (Read 10152 times)

Offline Martin

• ^ Quintessential Motobricker
Summer Mesh Jacket ( Problem Solved)
« on: September 24, 2016, 07:17:15 PM »
Light colour summer mesh jackets are virtually non existent in OZ, I could only find one and it was not available in my size ( and it's a weird fit). For a strange reason I could only find winter jackets in light colours, and I have tried all the local bike shops. I have been looking into getting a  Joe Rocket Phoenix Ion Mesh jacket through Revzilla. At the moment I am using a Shark (local brand)summer mesh jacket with a removable liner. I've had it for about 5 years has served well, only had to replace the Velcro but it is black and gets really hot in traffic and slow going. I had a grey mesh jacket for summer by Wicked Gear which I used only in summer, and after two years it is falling apart.  Comments on Joe Rocket or alternatives would be appreciated. :dunno
Regards Martin.
  • North Lakes Queensland Australia
  • 1992 K75s Hybrid, Lefaux, Vespa V twin.

Offline stokester

• ^ SuperNatural Motobricker
Re: Summer Mesh Jacket
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2016, 08:07:47 PM »
I've worn a Fieldsheer mesh jacket/pants combo for the last five years and will be searching for a viable replacement when the time comes for a replacement.  It has been a great combo for summer commuting and touring for many years.
  • Yorktown Virginia
  • '94 K75S Dakar Yellow - '93 K75S Seiden Blau - '91 R100RT Bermuda Blue- '78 R100S Smoke Red

Offline Martin

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2016, 08:25:39 PM »
Thanks Stokester for the suggestion looks like a good product but I am trying to keep the price around $200.00 US plus freight. However I may be able to persuade the Honourable Minister for Recreation & Finance to extend my line of credit.
Regards Martin.

Offline The Mighty Gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2016, 08:36:57 PM »
Three years ago I was given a used Joe Rocket Ballistic Series mesh jacket.  It now has about four summers of use on it and so far it is holding up very well.  My only complaint is that it is one size too large and as a result the loose fit allows the armour to shift about.  I wouldn't hesitate buying another one when the time comes to replace the one I have now.
  • In my garage in Marilla, NY
  • '91K100RS White/Blue
Current:
'91 K100RS16V "Moby Brick Too"

Past:
'94 K75RT "Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS"
'92 K100RS16V "Moby Brick" (RIP, deceased in a vehicular assault)
'94 K75S Special Edition Dakar Yellow "Cheetos"
'89 K100RS Special Edition "Special Ed"

Offline TrueAce

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2016, 09:33:13 PM »
This year I have been using as Cortech Ballistic Mesh Air3 from Amazon, about $165. It has a liner insert for rain and a quilted lightweight liner for chill. Works great in heavy rain, handled heat of 103, but makes you ride 15mph faster for good airflow!
  • Florida
  • '85 K100GS, '85 K100RSSC,', '94 K1100RS,'10 S1000rr,'14 Ural Sidecar, '15 R Nine T

Offline K1300S

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2016, 10:28:04 PM »
i have been happy with my tourmaster intake air4.   multiple layers zip in and out.  hi vis yellow with black trim.  got from revzilla.
Project Thread "K75s Midlife Refresh"
http://www.motobrick.com/index.php/topic,7810.0.html

Offline Martin

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2016, 11:05:02 PM »
I've been looking extensively at Revzilla but I am having problems trying to work with their sizing. I am 5'7" with an arm length of 30" chest 39" waist 39" (which I am trying to reduce) size 32 or 34 jeans. According to the Revzilla sizing charts I need a M at the top and a 2XL at the waist. I checked all my bike jackets 2 are M and 2 are 50-40 M.  :dunno Once I work out  what jacket I might have to contact Revzilla for help.
Regards a puzzled Martin.

Offline Laitch

• Faster than a speeding pullet
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2016, 11:16:31 PM »
They are a helpful crew, Martin, with a good understanding of the fit differences between brands. Don't hesitate to contact them for clarification.
  • Along the Ridley in Vermont.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles
I wept because I had no radials until I met a man who had no splines.
https://tinyurl.com/RillRider

Offline Martin

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2016, 11:27:15 PM »
Thanks fellas I've been given a lot of choices and good advice, you guys have so much choice when it comes to virtually everything. If I didn't like OZ so much I would be tempted to move. I will now seek a palm tree to sit under and ponder.
Thanks again Martin.

Offline Laitch

• Faster than a speeding pullet
  • Administrator
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2016, 11:36:22 PM »
I would be tempted to move.
Your measurements seem to indicate that an "American cut" jacket would be a good fit for you, Martin, so there's a start. :hehehe

Revzilla's video presentations of their products have always been accurate and useful for me. Motocyclegear.com is another site that has accurate and complete clothing descriptions, including sizing. I've bought from both companies and been satisfied with the goods.
  • Along the Ridley in Vermont.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles
I wept because I had no radials until I met a man who had no splines.
https://tinyurl.com/RillRider

Offline Martin

« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2016, 11:55:46 PM »
Thanks Laitch  :2thumbup:

Offline TrueAce

« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2016, 07:55:13 AM »
Martin, as you have done in the past, you present "facts" that are incongruous, something OZ folks are prone to do,i.e., how can you stuff that 39 inch waist into a 32 inch jeans? That's too many Fosters in too small a mug. :dunno2:
  • Florida
  • '85 K100GS, '85 K100RSSC,', '94 K1100RS,'10 S1000rr,'14 Ural Sidecar, '15 R Nine T

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2016, 08:40:33 AM »
Your measurements seem to indicate that an "American cut" jacket would be a good fit for you, Martin, so there's a start. :hehehe

I would suggest H-D riding apparel.  Your dimensions indicate that you are on the more athletic side of the typical Hardley lifestyler.
  • '91K100RS White/Blue
Current:

Past:

Offline billday

« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2016, 12:29:01 PM »
I loved my BMW Airshell jacket. With the lining, waterproof and pretty warm. Without, it let lots of air through. But it was expensive.
  • New York State, USA 10977
  • 1985 K100

Offline Martin

« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2016, 03:23:44 PM »
Ace the jeans to waist size had me totally flummoxed as well. I can't work it out as I type this I am wearing Street Lowes Denim shorts size 32 and loose, I have Levi 504 size 33, Torque bike jeans size S 80-84 cm (31.5"-33") Shark motorcycle jeans size 32. I have I slight belly but not 7", and I don't drink beer never have, I think I was the only non alcoholic in the Australian Army :hehehe
Regards a totally baffled Martin. :dunno

Offline stokester

« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2016, 05:04:02 PM »

Revzilla's video presentations of their products have always been accurate and useful for me. Motocyclegear.com is another site that has accurate and complete clothing descriptions, including sizing. I've bought from both companies and been satisfied with the goods.

I can add to Revzilla's customer service.  My last purchase required a return for a different size, it was handled quickly and with no hassle.
  • Yorktown Virginia
  • '94 K75S Dakar Yellow - '93 K75S Seiden Blau - '91 R100RT Bermuda Blue- '78 R100S Smoke Red

Offline Martin

« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2016, 05:27:07 PM »
Just sent an Email to Revzilla put in all my weird measurements that do not reconcile with their sizing chart or my waist to jean size. I even went through all my old jacket sizes and put the brand and the size all M. I have narrowed my choice down to either the Joe Rocket Phoenix Ion jacket or the Cortech GX Sport Air  or Firstgear Mesh Tex jacket equal second choice. I will wait and see what they come up with
Regards Martin.

Offline TrueAce

« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2016, 05:28:09 PM »
Uh oh, Martin..........better get a pregnancy test kit from the pharmacy :neener:
  • Florida

Offline Martin

« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2016, 05:30:16 PM »
Already checked all clear. :hehehe

Offline Filmcamera

« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2016, 08:09:00 PM »
My wife and I just brought Rev'it! Airwave 2 jackets - me from Amazon her from Revzilla - they didn't have the right size/colour combo in either site for both of us!

We decided on those mainly because here in CR there are not many places selling motorbike gear so we went to one of the biggest and that was the nicest we found.  We both wanted to be sure of fit before buying them - it is a long way to return things!

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/revit-airwave-2-jacket - that is mine in black/white

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/revit-airwave-2-womens-jacket and my wife's in black

They are 100% summer jackets - no zip in waterproof lining or warm layer etc but that is what we wanted for here

The fit is good, the jackets are comfortable and look pretty good!
  • San Jose, Costa Rica
  • 1991 K100RS 16v ABS1, 2018 Triumph Street Triple RS 765
Poserbricker

Offline Martin

« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2016, 09:12:50 PM »
Looks like a good choice I am trying to keep it around $200.00 and also trying to eliminate as much black on it as possible. And due to rain storms, a liner while not necessary would prove handy. At the moment I have an old Shark summer jacket that is black, it has permanent elbow and shoulder armour, removable liner. I love it but it is too hot in traffic and when stationary, it did come in white but is now no longer available. I don't like their new version. I would prefer to try before I buy but now waiting for Revzillas comments. We had a warm winter lowest daytime was about 18 C, 22c today autumn, can't go for a ride as I am waiting for a delivery of submersible fuel line. Local price $100.00 a Mt price from South Australia $50.00, possibly a bit of price gouging going on?? :dunno
Regards Martin

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2016, 10:40:43 PM »
Martin, looks like you have run into "vanity sizing".  A lot of clothing today is actually larger than the marked size, especially women's clothes.  I wear jeans that are marked 34Waist, but are actually sized for a 36-37Waist.  I guess the idea is to make the buyer feel thinner.

• '91K100RS White/Blue
Current:

Past:

Offline Martin

« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2016, 03:03:26 AM »
Thank you Gryph, it now makes some sort of sense. Why don't they just stick to the actual size, I normally just try things on then go on that size until it gets loose or tight and adjust accordingly. Because I was buying sight unseen the Honourable Minister for Recreation and Finance went out and bought a tape to measure me. So there is a possibility that the jacket might be vanity sized?? :dunno I am now going to give up measuring people and stick to steel and wood. And as I am only 5' 7" can I add 5" for vanity and say I am 6'. :hehehe :hehehe
Thanks for the clarification regards a slightly less confused Martin.

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2016, 08:44:49 AM »
Martin, I have pretty much given up on buying clothes without trying stuff on first.  One of the worst experiences I've had was with a place on the net called Leather Up that sells a lot of riding gear.  Their sizing is abysmal and what makes it even more confusing is the user comments on sizing and fit.  Their prices are pretty good, but any price advantage disappears when you have to pay return postage for something that doesn't even come close to fitting right.  I am out over $40 dealing with them and never kept anything I bought there.  Getting something that fits from them is a crapshoot at best.
  • '91K100RS White/Blue
Current:

Past:

Offline Martin

« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2016, 03:53:40 PM »
Gryph I am definitely with you on buying clothes of the net. But I have done a tour of all of our local and not so local shops, and I left my details with a few shops and have only heard back from one and they could not supply. And judging by the cattledogs they all pull out there are only 3 or 4 suppliers. At this stage if I want a light coloured mesh jacket I have only one choice, and I don't like the way it sits on me, it has a weird cut. I have pounded the net and I may have come up with a local Spidi dealer, who I will ring today. Though I am wary, with a couple of good reports posted about Revzilla, I might have to take a chance. I have given them all my measurements and am now waiting to see what they come up with. Received my gold plated submersible fuel line yesterday so will replace my lines, and install some really good double sided reflective foam insulation to the underside of the tank.  How did you go with your fairing hunt.
Appreciate the advice regards Martin.

Tags: