Author Topic: K100RS parked for four months outside in all weathers  (Read 195422 times)

Offline Filmcamera

• ^ Quintessential Motobricker
Re: K100RS parked for four months outside in all weathers
« Reply #600 on: September 30, 2017, 09:52:14 AM »
I have also just brought a new air temp sensor because my fan never kicked in automatically.  The engine temp gauge works fine, as does the fan (I had installed a manual switch).  Even with the new temp sensor the fan still does not come on but I am at a loss to know what else to check, the fan works, the sensor works, the circuit works because I wired the manual switch into it - that seems to just leave an issue in the Motronic, is there a way to check?
  • San Jose, Costa Rica
  • 1991 K100RS 16v ABS1, 2018 Triumph Street Triple RS 765
Poserbricker

Offline Laitch

• Faster than a speeding pullet
  • Administrator
« Reply #601 on: September 30, 2017, 10:32:48 AM »
that seems to just leave an issue in the Motronic, is there a way to check?
The relay could be a problem or the wiring between them, too. See if you can sort it out using some of this thread.
http://www.motobrick.com/index.php/topic,3149.msg18940.html#msg18940
http://www.motobrick.com/index.php/topic,3149.msg19595.html#msg19595
  • Along the Ridley in Vermont.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles

Offline Scud

• ^ Proficient Motobricker
« Reply #602 on: September 30, 2017, 01:44:02 PM »
Is adding that extra plumbing to the fuel system going to affect fuel pressure? Are you putting it before or after the fuel rail / injectors?

I don't think it would affect fuel pressure, there is just more volume before the pressure regulator. However, if it did cause a problem, a pressure regulator could be installed between fuel rail and the cooler - and removed from the tank.
  • Carlsbad, CA
  • 1992 K75s. 2002 Moto Guzzi V11 Scura, 2003 Moto Guzzi V11 LeMans. 2007 Husqvarna TE450

Offline Filmcamera

« Reply #603 on: September 30, 2017, 05:51:14 PM »
Working through the diagnostics so far

As fas as I can tell there is no resistance between pins 21 and 32 on the motronic connection - the multimeter reads 1

Pin 87 of the fan relay is not grounded with the motronic unplugged and the ignition on, that is to say with the neg lead of the multimeter in plug 87 on the harness and the positive lead on a 12v out I get 0.32V reading on the multimeter.

Since the air temp sensor is brand new I am hoping that it is  ok

That seems to point to a issue in the loom wiring I think.  I will keep digging
  • San Jose, Costa Rica
Poserbricker

Offline The Mighty Gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #604 on: September 30, 2017, 09:35:56 PM »
Is adding that extra plumbing to the fuel system going to affect fuel pressure? Are you putting it before or after the fuel rail / injectors?

The cooler goes in the return line from the pressure regulator to the fuel tank so there is no real backpressure.  I have been running a cooler for two years and 15,000 miles now with no adverse effect on performance, if anything by keeping the fuel cool the higher density makes the mixture a tiny bit richer, possibly increasing the power by an infinitesimal amount.
  • In my garage in Marilla, NY
  • '91K100RS White/Blue
Current:
'91 K100RS16V "Moby Brick Too"

Past:
'94 K75RT "Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS"
'92 K100RS16V "Moby Brick" (RIP, deceased in a vehicular assault)
'94 K75S Special Edition Dakar Yellow "Cheetos"
'89 K100RS Special Edition "Special Ed"

Offline Filmcamera

« Reply #605 on: October 01, 2017, 11:17:06 AM »
Great to know you have been running a cooler with no issues TMG.  If you have a chance it would be great to see a photo of how and where you installed yours.
  • San Jose, Costa Rica
Poserbricker

Offline Laitch

• Administrator
« Reply #606 on: October 01, 2017, 02:52:40 PM »
If you have a chance it would be great to see a photo of how and where you installed yours.
Gryph probably has more images, but there are several in this K100- forum thread I think I sent you.
http://www.k100-forum.com/t9594-k75rt-fuel-cooler#113838

There are probably images on MB.C, too.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles

Offline Filmcamera

« Reply #607 on: October 01, 2017, 02:58:38 PM »
Yes I had seen those that you sent, thanks very much for that.  There are three of four different ways of mounting the cooler shown in those threads, all of which are useful, I was just interested to see how our very own TMG did it.
  • San Jose, Costa Rica
Poserbricker

• Administrator
« Reply #608 on: October 02, 2017, 01:11:27 AM »
I think I put a separate thread at the K100 forum, but I don't know how to find it.

I am not sure if what I did is applicable to the K100 because I put my cooler in the space created by eliminating the front cylinder when the K100 was redesigned as a 750cc triple. Am not sure there is enough room below the radiator for a cooler like mine on a K100.

I haven't done my other bikes because I don't ride them long distance like the RT and they have sufficient airflow to minimize the discomfort from the hot tank.  Early this morning I rode the RT about 180 miles in mid 30's temperatures(Fahrenheit) at speeds of 75+mph across Michigan's Yuper.  I was kind of wishing the tank would have gotten a bit warmer.
  • '91K100RS White/Blue
Current:

Past:

Offline Inge K.

« Reply #609 on: October 02, 2017, 02:16:22 AM »
I think I put a separate thread at the K100 forum, but I don't know how to find it.

http://www.k100-forum.com/t9594-k75rt-fuel-cooler
  • Norway

• Administrator
« Reply #610 on: October 02, 2017, 10:56:20 PM »
Thanks Inge!!!
  • '91K100RS White/Blue
Current:

Past:

Offline Filmcamera

« Reply #611 on: October 06, 2017, 03:31:08 PM »
This week I installed my new brake discs and pads.  When I bled the brakes they felt fine but when I went for a brief test ride a problem appeared and I am not sure exactly what is causing it.

When the bike is still the front brake lever works pretty much as normal, depressing with a little bite until about half way through the travel when the bite gets progressively stringer and when I start off it does as well. However as soon as I get over about 3 mph the lever will not move at all but the brakes are not on.  If I bring the bike to a stop using the rear brake the lever suddenly starts moving again.  When it is moving very slowly the brakes seem to work, obviously not much braking force but since they are brand new discs and brand new pads I assume that is fairly normal.

The only issue I had of any sort installing the pads was that I got the cheap chinese pads and the top of the shoulders were too tight a fit to able to get them installed properly so I had to grind back maybe 1/2 mm to they are snug against the bolts but I can still get the main pin in.

Here is a picture of the old pads with an arrow showing where I had to grind back a little

I also noticed a line around the very outer edge of one of the new discs

Something seems to be stopping the ads from moving  when the wheel is moving but I am not sure what I should do to fix the issue.

BTW my test ride was no more than 300 meters, I live at the top of a very steep hill and did not want to go all the way down with just the rear brake so I turned around pretty much as soon as the issue showed up.

Any suggestions would be very welcome.

• San Jose, Costa Rica
Poserbricker

Offline Filmcamera

« Reply #612 on: October 08, 2017, 11:52:35 AM »
Well it is fixed but it was a weird issue. 

I took the pads off and ground them down a little more, until they moved freely.  I then took it for another tide and had the same issue...  then all of a sudden the ABS warning light came on and the brakes started working.  When I got home I rechecked the gap of the front ABS sensor and found it was out of spec so I took a couple of shims out until it was correct. 

Then I went for another ride and the brakes were fine - though obviously pretty soft since I need to bed in both the pads and the discs. 

It seems odd that a out  of spec gap should make the brake lever inoperable but there you go.

Anyway it is fixed, next week the fuel cooler!

• San Jose, Costa Rica
Poserbricker

Offline Filmcamera

« Reply #613 on: October 15, 2017, 11:16:08 AM »
The fuel cooler is installed.

It was very easy to fit but I am not 100% sure about the location.  I like how it looks where it is but have a couple of concerns, one it is hard against the oil/water pump and two it might be vulnerable to stones etc.

• San Jose, Costa Rica
Poserbricker

Offline Laitch

• Administrator
« Reply #614 on: October 15, 2017, 03:06:08 PM »
The fuel cooler is installed. . . .
I like how it looks where it is but have a couple of concerns, one it is hard against the oil/water pump and two it might be vulnerable to stones etc.
Install a bucket-bred Ozian-style mudflap and relax.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles

Offline Martin

« Reply #615 on: October 15, 2017, 03:11:36 PM »
You could also fit steel mesh over the belly pan intakes. I replaced the steel mesh on my 75s with nice shiny aluminium, don't I just discovered a hole. It must have been done before fitting my bucket flap.
Regards Martin.
  • North Lakes Queensland Australia
  • 1992 K75s Hybrid, Lefaux, Vespa V twin.

Offline Laitch

• Administrator
« Reply #616 on: October 15, 2017, 03:20:13 PM »
It was very easy to fit but I am not 100% sure about the location.  I like how it looks where it is but have a couple of concerns, one it is hard against the oil/water pump . . .
Install a bucket-bred Ozian-style mudflap and relax.
On second thought, don't relax yet. You want air to flow easily through the cooler for heat dissipation. It isn't going to do that with its air outlet side hard against the engine. You'll need to move it away from the engine to improve air flow through it or you won't be getting full effect.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles

Offline Martin

« Reply #617 on: October 15, 2017, 03:34:00 PM »
True good spot Laitch, I was looking at it and wondering? I've been thinking about a fuel cooler for mine due to fuel vaporization on hot days in traffic with less than 1/2 a tank. Under tank insulation has reduced the problem but not cured it. I've got a few alternative choices keep the tank full, don't ride in traffic on hot day's, paint the tank white. Filmcamera I would love to hear the outcome, and also find the temperature difference between running with and without the cooler.
Regards Martin.

Offline Laitch

• Administrator
« Reply #618 on: October 15, 2017, 03:42:38 PM »
I was looking at it and wondering? I've been thinking about a fuel cooler for mine due to fuel vaporization on hot days in traffic with less than 1/2 a tank.
If the cooling fuel were a priority for me, I'd follow Mighty Gryphon's concise post describing mounting a fuel cooler and its effect. My naked bike doesn't channel much heat at me but I'd probably mount one on the bike if I lived in a hot climate like the desert Southwest,  Deep South or parts of Oz, or often spent time in slow-moving traffic.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles

Offline Martin

« Reply #619 on: October 15, 2017, 04:01:54 PM »
Laitch I thought Filmcameras climate would be more akin to mine than Gryphs climate. I'm about to look at Gryphs installation again but I would really like to see the temperature variations between before and after.  Also Gryphs was fitted to the return line whereas due to the vaporization I believe it would be more beneficial to fit mine to the supply line. I was going to go up to a local hobby foundry and see if they would cast me a aluminium brick.  I have previously milled aluminium using a wood router and bits and my drill press with a cross slide vice. Unfortunately too much rain at the moment.
Regards Martin.

Offline Laitch

• Administrator
« Reply #620 on: October 15, 2017, 04:08:10 PM »
Laitch I thought Filmcameras climate would be more akin to mine than Gryphs climate.
Gryph does extensive travel in all climates except during late fall on the questionably-maintained gravel backroads of the mountain here. :giggles He rode throughout the hellishly hot weather of the beautiful desert West with that cooler, I believe. I think his how-to might include a review its performance during that experience, if I haven't skewed the chronology.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles

Offline Martin

« Reply #621 on: October 15, 2017, 04:17:08 PM »
 :2thumbup: Thanks Laitch I will try and hunt it down. Oooh the rain has stopped, but we now have high winds, might get out between downpours.
Regards Martin.

Offline Laitch

• Administrator
« Reply #622 on: October 15, 2017, 04:21:13 PM »
:2thumbup: I will try and hunt it down.
Here, Martin. This should be worth a profiterole next time I see you, which would be the first time. Who's counting though?
http://www.k100-forum.com/t9594-k75rt-fuel-cooler
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles

Offline Martin

« Reply #623 on: October 15, 2017, 04:42:34 PM »
Laitch if you come to OZ I will buy you a piece of heaven a Beefys Chocolate Éclair, thanks mate. No ride today we are getting over 4" plus in the next 24 hours. I envy the fortitude that enables you to bear through your Vermontian winters, I would go stark raving mad. ( I'm nearly there now after five Brickless days).
Regards a slightly depressed Martin.

Offline Filmcamera

« Reply #624 on: October 15, 2017, 08:28:33 PM »
I am going to try it is as is (with some steel mesh) for now.

If it does not seem to be making much difference then I will mount it higher up outside the radiator grill as per the link Laith provided.  It just looks so right where it is so I am hoping it will actually do the job as well!

• San Jose, Costa Rica
Poserbricker

Tags: