Author Topic: Restoring a 1990 BMW K1 to its original marrakesh red and broom handle yellow  (Read 14549 times)

Offline 2beAlive

• Motobrick Curious
Hi

My local carwash managed to drop my K1 with significant damage to the fairing. I have decided that I may as well use the opportunity to restore the bike to its original colours. Yes, I love and hate it, but if you have one of these, it kind of have to go back to how the bike looked on the poster.

Now and to be photos attached.

Does anyone have a schematic of these bikes showing what engine parts have to be painted yellow or a picture of the bike without a fairing that shows the paint areas?

Also looking for a source for the stickers and a yellow seat to buy.
  • Cape Town, South Africa
  • 1990 K1, 1982 R100CS, 1981 R100

Offline Reopropf

• Motobrick Curious
Recommendation:

Save your money and restore your machine to its original color/luster.  Based on wheels and "1000" sticker on tank pad, it was NOT red/mustard.

Instead, buy a 'new'  well conditioned red/yellow.

Peter

Offline Chaos

• Administrator
  • ^ Quintessential Motobricker
  • Mars needs women!
Agreed.  Check the color code on yours, blue was popular on later K1's.  Much as I like the ketchup/mustard I'd hate to duplicate it from scratch. 
  • sw ohio
1987 K75S    VIN 0231
Original owner, Original litter
200,000 miles (plus or minus) and 5 paint jobs
sold 6/23
2023 Ural 2WD sidecar (BMW's bastard step child)

Offline TrueAce

• ^ SuperNatural Motobricker
Restore means restore, you don't change paint colors when you restore.
  • Florida
  • '85 K100GS, '85 K100RSSC,', '94 K1100RS,'10 S1000rr,'14 Ural Sidecar, '15 R Nine T

Offline 2beAlive

• Motobrick Curious
Hi

The VIN makes it red and yellow and under the blue on the bin lids the red is visible in the corners where they rub. The owner I bought it from (second one) knew the original owner and bike since inception and confirmed that it was repainted to the new (conservative) BMW colour scheme in 1994. Also got the receipt of when it was repainted, so pretty sure it started life in red and yellow.

In terms of buying one, the thought crossed my mind, but not sure how the discussion at home will go; "I need a fourth bike, will be the same as the one I have, but it will be a faster one, in red"?

I also only know of three other K1s in SA, don't think more than 10 made it here, I have never seen one on the road. I can repaint my bike 4 times compared to the price on the one, about 8 times on the other one! The third one is a Ultima, so not even going there.

I have been reluctant to tackle this given the complexity of getting the yellow onto the frame, the other options is just to take it to the royal blue with decal looks, much less work (see attached).

Silly, but bonded with this bike, so kind of feeling obliged to restore it to its original condition :bang-head:

Offline Laitch

• Faster than a speeding pullet
  • Administrator
The MAX BMW parts fiche shows the fairing/fender stickers as still available in their K1/Vehicle Trim section.
  • Along the Ridley in Vermont.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles
I wept because I had no radials until I met a man who had no splines.

Offline TrueAce

It's a beautiful bike...........lot of money and work to properly change the color. I would put that effort into systems maintenance.........get everything at 100%.
  • Florida
  • '85 K100GS, '85 K100RSSC,', '94 K1100RS,'10 S1000rr,'14 Ural Sidecar, '15 R Nine T

Offline Laitch

• Faster than a speeding pullet
  • Administrator
Does anyone have a schematic of these bikes showing what engine parts have to be painted yellow or a picture of the bike without a fairing that shows the paint areas?
Here's some more data to feed your obsession.
  • Along the Ridley in Vermont.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles
I wept because I had no radials until I met a man who had no splines.

Offline Filmcamera

There are some good clear pics of the yellow painted bits in this thread - http://www.motobrick.com/index.php/topic,7930.0.html
  • San Jose, Costa Rica
  • 1991 K100RS 16v ABS1, 2018 Triumph Street Triple RS 765
Poserbricker

Offline 2beAlive

• Motobrick Curious
Thanks. I have manage to source the big decals and the small 1000cc ones in yellow, also got lucky and found an original yellow and black seat. Now got to figure out the dismantling.

Can anyone guide me to what gaskets I will require to replace after the split?

Offline Scud

• ^ Proficient Motobricker
I'll just get my opinion out of the way first. I think the bike looks great as is, and I would just ride it.

Now that I've said my piece, it's your passion, time, and budget - so do what you want and have a good time.

If I were undertaking a restoration that involved changing the color of almost every part, I would consider the following:

- Powercoat (not paint) as much as possible.
- Replace every single bearing, seal, and gasket on the whole bike. Just find a parts manual and start building a list.
- Contact a few dealers or parts houses. Let them know what you are doing, give them your list and try to get a discount on buying it all at once.

If you're going to that level of effort, you may as well end up with a new, or better than new, motorcycle.
  • Carlsbad, CA
  • 1992 K75s. 2002 Moto Guzzi V11 Scura, 2003 Moto Guzzi V11 LeMans. 2007 Husqvarna TE450

Offline TrueAce

Beautiful bike, needs to be ridden. As I posted earlier, get the maintenance done and enjoy it for a year before tearing it down for a restoration. No offense to your skills, but you are proposing a huge undertaking of expertise, time, and money. Many such restoration projects take years, especially at the level of detail you are proposing.Get it safe for riding, and take some time to enjoy before sharing it down for an indeterminate period. :bmwsmile
  • Florida

Offline Martin

You have got the hard to source parts the stickers and the seat. I would concentrate on finding any other parts that you might need in a restoration that are not interchangeable between colours.  Painting or powder coating can be done at anytime, in the mean time just ride it. Bricks need to be ridden. After you have ridden it for at least a year you might change your mind on the colour.
Regards Martin.
  • North Lakes Queensland Australia
  • 1992 K75s Hybrid, Lefaux, Vespa V twin.

Offline 2beAlive

• Motobrick Curious
She is well used, I have had her for a year now and added about 5000km, given that I only spend 2 or 3 days a week at home and I have two other bikes, she is a workhorse.

One reason I got this one was its condition, everything works perfectly, just had a major service done, all fluids replaced, new tires. The only thing not working is one of the crystals in the watch's display (and now the stand switch since the weekend).

I will have to have all but the back panel and one side panel resprayed thanks to the drop, and I would do them anyway to get a better colour match so the investment will be in getting the engine parts resprayed.

@Scud, think you right, if I am splitting it, I may as well do a major replace of the bearings, seals, etc. will start figuring out what to replace.

Offline 2beAlive

• Motobrick Curious
Weird question, has anyone got a photo of the inside of a K1 fairing? What is the colour and finish supposed to be? 

Offline duckytran

Weird question, has anyone got a photo of the inside of a K1 fairing? What is the colour and finish supose to be?

Try contacting cdrp. He converted a K1 and has a pile of fairings pictured in his build thread.

http://www.motobrick.com/index.php/topic,7930.0.html
  • Austin, Texas
  • 1993 K75, 1981 R65

Offline 2beAlive

• Motobrick Curious

If I were undertaking a restoration that involved changing the color of almost every part, I would consider the following:

- Powercoat (not paint) as much as possible.

If you're going to that level of effort, you may as well end up with a new, or better than new, motorcycle.

Have been doing some research in terms of powder coating. First thing I learned is that it is powder and not power coating!

Definitely going that route for the "gearbox and drivetrain" part. Can anyone confirm the materials used for these? Any thing special about "outgassing" and preparations of the surface that I should know of? I am going to use a "professional" company, but it never hurts to know a bit more.

Next decision is what route to go with the fuel tank, paint or powder coating? Worried that I will damage the internal surface and/or shape of the tank when heating it. Is this worth considering or is traditional paint better?

Found a few references around techniques to powder coat plastic, but involves heating it first, sounds scare with lots of opportunity to go very wrong. I don't think this is worth the effort. Is there other options, mainly want to see if I can keep it crack free this time around the forks and side panels.

Offline Scud

Have been doing some research in terms of powder coating. First thing I learned is that it is powder and not power coating!

Definitely going that route for the "gearbox and drivetrain" part. Can anyone confirm the materials used for these? Any thing special about "outgassing" and preparations of the surface that I should know of? I am going to use a "professional" company, but it never hurts to know a bit more.

Next decision is what route to go with the fuel tank, paint or powder coating? Worried that I will damage the internal surface and/or shape of the tank when heating it. Is this worth considering or is traditional paint better?

Found a few references around techniques to powder coat plastic, but involves heating it first, sounds scare with lots of opportunity to go very wrong. I don't think this is worth the effort. Is there other options, mainly want to see if I can keep it crack free this time around the forks and side panels.

Typo!!! Sorry.  Yes, it's powDer coating.  I think it's only for metal - because plastic will melt with the temperatures required in the process (unless there's some process for plastic that I've never heard of).

As for advice, go find a shop and talk to them about how to prepare your parts.  With powder coating, your color options will be somewhat limited. With traditional paint, you can have any color mixed. I would use paint on the tank and all body panels so it will match.
  • Carlsbad, CA
  • 1992 K75s. 2002 Moto Guzzi V11 Scura, 2003 Moto Guzzi V11 LeMans. 2007 Husqvarna TE450

Offline 2beAlive

• Motobrick Curious
Hi

Thanks, things are starting to happen. I received the seat and all the body decals (in yellow). Also found the "warning" stickers.

Not making such good progress in terms of my list of stuff to refurbish when I split her for the powder coating, can anyone take a stab and suggest what I should tackle?

Also struggling to find a colour match for the yellow powder coat paint, second option is to find a flake of the yellow and have it colour matched. Anyone that  happen to have a flake of it lying around?  :dunno2:

Offline Martin

Might be easier to match if you use two pack on the transmission, final drive, wheels etc.
Regards Martin.

Offline 2beAlive

• Motobrick Curious
Might be easier to match if you use two pack on the transmission, final drive, wheels etc.
Regards Martin.

Not familiar with the term "two pack" ?

Offline The Mighty Gryphon

• Administrator
Urethane Paint that uses a separate catalyst to harden it.  The catalyst is mixed in just prior to applying the paint.  Almost all heavy duty industrial coatings are two part there days.  It's what almost every manufacturer uses to paint their vehicles.  It's very tough, and dries almost instantly making it perfect for situations where you want to paint a lot of stuff fast.
  • In my garage in Marilla, NY
  • '91K100RS White/Blue
Current:
'91 K100RS16V "Moby Brick Too"

Past:
'94 K75RT "Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS"
'92 K100RS16V "Moby Brick" (RIP, deceased in a vehicular assault)
'94 K75S Special Edition Dakar Yellow "Cheetos"
'89 K100RS Special Edition "Special Ed"

Offline 2beAlive

• Motobrick Curious
OK, will do some reading.

Can it be touched up? Beginning to have second thoughts on powder coating, rims will definitely pick up chips and don't feel like disassembling the bike every time I need to touch up stuff.

Offline 2beAlive

• Motobrick Curious
Hi

Having the only bike of a kind in a country (I am sure there must be more?) has its own problems. Apart form K1 get togethers that is rather boring, I am struggling to find the correct paint.

Has anyone got a commercial paint colour code  for marrakesh-red and/or broom-yellow? Can take a sample for matching :-(

Offline Martin

Go to Motorworks UK site go to K75 K100 K1100 site new parts, then go to paints and enter make model and year. Then select colour and amount. Not sure if this will help but they do have the paint for your bike.
Regards Martin.

Tags: