Author Topic: Delay in title transfer  (Read 9566 times)

Offline REMA1000

• Curious
Delay in title transfer
« on: August 26, 2011, 02:49:01 PM »
I bought a bike on 7/11, and got the title.   In the section "assignment by seller", the seller wrote the date 7/11/2011.  I was going to go to the DMV to get the title transferred today.  Reading the title details, there is a section labelled "Application for title by buyer... must be submitted within 10 days".  Oops. 

I'm wondering if I should change the "7/11" sale date to "9/11", and go transfer the title on 9/12; or if that "10 days" thing doesn't really matter.  The seller did NOT fill-out the tear-off/mail-in seller's portion.

Offline johnny

• TrailBrakingThrottleWhacker
  • ^ Quintessential Motobricker
  • Whacking...n...Chopping Sliding...n...High Siding
Re: Delay in title transfer
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2011, 03:28:57 PM »
greetings rema1000...

all states are different... it may be nothing or it may be a late fee... i would look at your states dmv website... if you cant figure it out there i would call them...

j o
  • :johnny i parks my 96 eleven hundert rs motobrick in dodge county cheezconsin  :johnny

Offline bobw

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2011, 03:34:34 PM »
Each state is different and there could be a small fee for "late" transfer.

I would bet the farm that you are not alone and a few weeks is nothing to worry over. I wouldn't rub out or write over anything on a Title, they likely would question that with much more concern. yrmv

Cheers
currently riding an aprilia Futura
previous motorcycles
Moto Guzzi Stelvio
BMW R1200R
Triumph Sprint
Triumph Bonnie
many, many others over 45 years from Honda to Hodaka

Offline frankenduck

• Adrninistrator
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2011, 07:47:12 PM »
Not sure about your state but here in WA seller has to report the sale w/in 7 days.  Buyer has 15 days (30 for out of state title) to transfer title.

After you miss the deadline there's a fine.  Not too bad though.

If your seller has reported the sale and you start fudging dates then you might get yourself in hot water.
Once I had a Collie pup. Dug a hole and covered him up. Now I sit there by the hour. Waiting for a Collie-flower.
New to K bikes? Click here.
K Bike Maintenance & Mods: Click here.
Buy parts here.

Offline WayneDW

• ^ SuperNatural Motobricker
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2011, 10:16:12 PM »
I'm with the other guys.  You will get in a whole lot more hot water if you are caught changing what the PO wrote on the title than you will for doing the transfer late.
  • Minneapolis, MN, USA
  • 1992 K75RT

Offline wmax351

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2011, 03:26:43 AM »
In CA, it's not to big a deal. Don't sweat it.
  • Albuquerque, NM
  • 91 BMW K75 Standard, 98 Moto Guzzi California EV
Bikes:
Current:1991 BMW K75 Standard, 1998 Moto Guzzi California EV11
Past: '83 BMW R65LS, '75 Honda CB550F, '69 Honda CB175, 1999 Royal Enfield Bullet 500, 1973 Triumph Tiger TR7V, 1971 BMW R75/5 in Toaster outfit, 1979 Harley Davidson XLS-1000 Sportster Roadster

Offline REMA1000

• Curious
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2011, 06:28:37 PM »
Thanks for the tips; I took the title in to the DMV today, waited 80 minutes for my number to get called, and there seemed to be no problem with the delay.

BUT... the DMV'er at the counter told me I had the engine number all wrong.  Where is the engine number (K100RS?)?

Offline frankenduck

• Adrninistrator
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2011, 07:15:09 PM »
Bottom right, aft of the oil sight glass.
Once I had a Collie pup. Dug a hole and covered him up. Now I sit there by the hour. Waiting for a Collie-flower.
Buy parts here.

Offline REMA1000

• Curious
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2011, 08:35:58 PM »
"Bottom right, aft of the oil sight glass."

Thanks.  If that's the one near where the tranny meets the engine, on the right side, running vertically... unfortunately, that's the number I gave them. 

If the engine HAS been swapped, it's the first time I've ever heard of it on a K-Bike!
Is there a way to verify that an engine number matches the factory VIN?

Offline frankenduck

• Adrninistrator
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2011, 09:05:15 PM »
"Bottom right, aft of the oil sight glass."

Thanks.  If that's the one near where the tranny meets the engine, on the right side, running vertically... unfortunately, that's the number I gave them. 

If the engine HAS been swapped, it's the first time I've ever heard of it on a K-Bike!
Is there a way to verify that an engine number matches the factory VIN?

Sometimes people put the VIN or part of it in the computer.

I have a vague recollection of a few engine swaps and know a local guy who swapped engines on a K75 a couple of years ago.

Maybe contact a dealer???  I'll bet there's a matchup on a computer(or maybe fiche) somewhere in the fatherland.

Buy parts here.

Offline bobw

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2011, 10:09:56 PM »
I may be confused, but why are they concerned about the engine number. That number can be checked as a part for theft recovery or manufacturing data, but what specifically is their concern ref getting the bike transferred and registered in your name (is it reconstructed, etc.).

I've never seen a Title where the engine number was required VS the public VIN. Some vehicles may share a common number or a derivative, but not all and the inspection is to make sure the frame/VIN is recorded correctly (A major pain on a bike like the K1200LT).
previous motorcycles
Moto Guzzi Stelvio
BMW R1200R
Triumph Sprint
Triumph Bonnie

Offline frankenduck

• Adrninistrator
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2011, 11:25:59 PM »
Can't say why but WA state requires it when transferring title on an out of state bike.  (If it's in state then it's already in their title record.)
Buy parts here.

Offline bobw

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2011, 05:34:33 AM »
Interesting differences in each state for a standardized document. Thanks.
previous motorcycles
Moto Guzzi Stelvio
BMW R1200R
Triumph Sprint
Triumph Bonnie

Offline frankenduck

• Adrninistrator
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2011, 09:02:10 AM »
There are a lot of other title differences as well.  For example, vehivle inspection and title branding (salvage, rebuilt, etc....) requirements and definitions also vary a lot from state to state.  The reason in that vehicle titling and registration are regulated according to state laws.
Buy parts here.

Offline WayneDW

• ^ SuperNatural Motobricker
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2011, 07:55:27 PM »
In Minnesota they ask for the engine number when transfering the title too.  I've had to leave the DMV on at least two occasions to go home and find it.  When I go back with it, they just write it on the application and I doubt anybody ever looks at it again.  I know it doesn't show up on the new title.

I suppose it it for future reference in case there are any problems.  Or, perhaps some bureaucrat somewhere decided it would be a good idea and it's stuck ever since.
  • Minneapolis, MN, USA
  • 1992 K75RT

Offline frankenduck

• Adrninistrator
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2011, 08:21:31 PM »
I once called the WA Department of Licensing to ask about selling a motor and frame individually and what the implications were.  Even though they're anal about getting the engine number when you transfer title (you can't transfer an out of state title without it) nobody at the DOL had a clue as to how to answer my question.  I made it to a third level supervisor who had me call some WA State Patrol sergeant in Wenatchee because she said he'd know more than she did.  I called him and he said it didn't matter, only the VIN was relevant.  In the end it's all just worthless bureaucracy.
Buy parts here.

Offline REMA1000

• Curious
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2011, 10:57:56 AM »
Well, I got the title transferred. 

I went back the next day, waited only 40 minutes, and spoke to a different staffer.  I had a photo of the engine # and VIN on the frame.  Just like the previous day, she said that the engine # in the computer didn't match the one in the photo, nor was it the same is the VIN#.  She asked if I might have copied the wrong number (transmission #?), or the wrong bike, and I said I was sure I had the engine number correct for that VIN.

Then she shrugged and processed the title transfer.  I'm not sure what changed from myfirst visit, other than that I was more adamant that I had the engine number right.  Anyways, what was refused on the first day, was granted on the second day.

There was no extra fee for being a month late filing for the transfer (after the sale), despite the "10 days" warning on the title itself.

Offline frankenduck

• Adrninistrator
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2011, 02:41:40 PM »
I have several places where I can transfer title.  I now only go to the one staffed by the old ladies who have been doing it for decades and know the in and outs in detail.  I've had problems at other offices but never there.

Congrats on finally getting a title.
Buy parts here.

Tags: