Author Topic: I crashed. BUT - I have a spares bike, so i'm looking for some Advice :)  (Read 12429 times)

Offline Jeff Sichoe

• kind of a big deal at the cracker factory
  • ^ Motobrick Curious
  • ruddy bastard
So, about a month ago I managed to throw my bike down the road. It really sucked, mainly because my GF was on the back at the time (and if you have crashed with a significant other on the back I think you know the same feeling!)

As people will inevitably be curious, I was rolling at about 30kph in 3rd, up hill, turning right at a roundabout, and the bike just let go. I wasn't leaned into it by any means, was familiar with the road and it's layout, no sudden changes to direction or speed, she just let go. I strongly suspect diesel on the road, as the City's bus fleet if notorious for leaking shit all over the road. It has just rained (and then stopped) and it hadn't rained for quite a while before the brief shower, which as we all know makes the road surface more slippery than without. Still, to say I was surprised is quite the understatement. Rider error is obviously the main reason for most sole-vehicle crashes - if I had been in the outer as opposed to inner lane, and been taking it even easier, I would probably have avoided any potential for crashing in the first place. Lesson learnt!

Thankfully, no major damage to body parts, or gear, we somehow slid through 3 lanes of busy traffic without hitting anything.
The sliver lining is that it didn't dent my girls enthusiasm for riding, which was my biggest worry!

The bike however was a bit worse for wear...

1986 K75s
--
Unbeknownst to me, the previous owner (or previous, previous owner) had crashed at some point and the right handlebar had been welded. This broke when it hit the ground.

The Front wheel nut (RHS) has been ground down.

Faring seems mostly intact, although a little chipped / loose.

Windshield has snapped off.

Slight scratching to the outer engine case (RHS)
--

So, advice time!

I have a spares bike, 1988 K75s. Decent condition. Only fault I can find is 2nd gear. It *feels* like the clutch is slipping, but it only happens in 2nd, all other gears rev hard through to (almost) redline. Apart from that it's fine.

I'm going to whip out the handlebar from the Spares to the Damaged bike.
I'm also looking at swapping out certain other components depending on what Advice I get from you guys!

The Spares bike has a k100 rear shock on it, which is MUCH stiffer and more pleasent for a big boy like me (and even nicer with the GF on the back)
The front shocks on the Spares bike are stiffer / newer than the ones on the Damaged bike, so I'd like to swap them over too.

Question time -
Front handlebars (from what I've read here) are easy to swap from same models. Throttle, and levers etc can be swapped without disconnecting. Are there any tricks for this, or is it quite an easy straight-swap? Any special tools required?

If I swap over the rear shock, can I do this at home, on the centre stand? Does the rear shock need to be compressed with a special tool before during or after swapping? Or is it a case of removing bolts and just taking it off / on?

Front shocks. So, as the front shocks on the spare are better, the Tyre on the spares is better, and the axle bolt isn't ground down, what is the easiest way to swap these components over? The front brakes on the Spares are probably about the same as the Damaged bike, so I was thinking something like - Remove the entire front fork assembly from the spares frame, including at this point the front brake lever and cylinder etc and swap it over onto the Damaged bike? Would it be that 'easy'? The Speedo cable hooks into the back wheel, and apart from the front brake lines etc (which I wouldn't have to disconnect as I would be swapping the whole system over) wouldn't need to be bled or anything?

Phew, if you made it this far thanks for reading, and any advice, or tips and tricks would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers,
Thomas

:mbird
  • Welly, NZ
  • 2 x sad k75s'

Offline mystic red

• Retired Professsional Driver
  • ^ Quintessential Motobricker
Re: I crashed. BUT - I have a spares bike, so i'm looking for some Advice :)
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2013, 07:47:14 PM »
No special tools for the handle bar swap.
Rear shock is two bolts and simple.

Front shocks are also pretty straight forward. .. get yourself a Clymers and it will give you step by step instructions. You need one for your bike anyway.

Offline Jeff Sichoe

• ^ Motobrick Curious
  • ruddy bastard
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2013, 09:10:25 PM »
Awesome! That's what I wanted to hear :)

I do have a manual already, but oftentimes I find getting first hand info is more helpfull. :)

Thanks Mystic Red!
  • Welly, NZ
  • 2 x sad k75s'

Offline mystic red

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2013, 09:29:06 PM »
Lot of guys pull their forks to service them. ..I don't. .. but the forks slide right out of the triple tree.

I'm assuming you've got basic tools and hopefully a torque wrench.

Offline skidmore

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2013, 12:46:27 PM »
On the shock swap, make sure you unload the spring first. Make sure there is no preload dialed in. If so, take your spanner and twist'er down to as soft as it will go.
current: 1992 K75RT ABS and elec windshield, baby!

previous: 1992 K75, 1983 R100, five spooo-ooort bikes, a Sportster, two XS650 Specials....and probably a partridge in a pear tree somewhere along the way
Frankenduck said: "I haven't backfired a K75 in lord knows how many miles - but I could if I wanted to."

Offline Jeff Sichoe

• ^ Motobrick Curious
  • ruddy bastard
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2013, 09:27:07 PM »
Can you swap the rear shock over on the centre stand? I can't see any reason why that wouldn't work - of course you'd need another person...
  • Welly, NZ
  • 2 x sad k75s'

Offline roninvt

• ^ Proficient Motobricker
  • free range, cage free
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2013, 09:36:24 PM »
Hi Jeff Sichoe,   Ya do the shock swap on the center stand.  simple, quick one person job.
1990 K75C
1993 K1100RS

Offline Jeff Sichoe

• ^ Motobrick Curious
  • ruddy bastard
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2013, 09:50:46 PM »
Lot of guys pull their forks to service them. ..I don't. .. but the forks slide right out of the triple tree.

I'm assuming you've got basic tools and hopefully a torque wrench.

Tomorrow (Sat here in NZ) i'm planning on doing the Handlebar and Rear shock, if I can get that sorted and the shakedown ride doesn't reveal any other issues, i'll look at doing the front forks next weekend.

Got basic tools and BMW toolkit, but no Torque Wrench :(

Hi Jeff Sichoe,   Ya do the shock swap on the center stand.  simple, quick one person job.

Thanks for confirming that!

And thanks to skidmore for the tip on unloading the spring!
  • Welly, NZ
  • 2 x sad k75s'

Offline Opus

• 1988 K100 LT
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2013, 04:11:55 AM »
Jeff, add a tube of Lock Tight to you list of tools. The shock takes a lot of abuse and the nut holding the shock to the wheel can come loose on you.
Lock Tight will help to keep it from working loose.

Other than that, swapping out the rear shock in super easy....

Toney

1988 BMW K100LT (Current Project Bike)
1982 Honda GW 1100 I (Sold and will be missed)
1975 Honda CB550F [MOD] (Sold)
196x Sears Allstate 250 (Traded in for CB550F)

Offline mystic red

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2013, 10:24:43 AM »
Better buy a torque wench to make sure it's done right. .... you'll get a lot of use out of it and they are not too pricey. .. Got a HF nearby?

Offline Opus

• 1988 K100 LT
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2013, 11:27:20 AM »
Better buy a torque wench to make sure it's done right. .... you'll get a lot of use out of it and they are not too pricey. .. Got a HF nearby?

That To!
Toney

Offline Jeff Sichoe

• ^ Motobrick Curious
  • ruddy bastard
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2013, 02:49:05 AM »
Hey all! Thought i'd give you a bit of a status update...

Swapped the bars over from the Parts Bike to 'ole Red, no major issues as you all would know, but I did have a bit of a problem figuring out the left grip and that you just need to yank on it to get it off (I was looking for a screw or something heh heh)

Was slightly tricky getting the bar OFF the parts bike, but was easy getting it installed on the Main bike :)

Here is a couple of photos

Parts Bike -

New bars installed -

A bit sad but at least she's almost in one piece again -

Sure I don't have a Garage but not a bad view! -

As you can prob note from the photos of Red, the NEW (well, newish) bars are bent, lol. I will hit up Kbikeparts soon and put in an order for a new pair, and prob a Windshield etc.

I do have a follow-up Q tho:
The clutch lever on the new bike is VERY stiff compared to what I remember, I have shot some CRC into the lever to loosen it up, but there seems to be way too much resistance on it. I checked the clutch adjustment screw on the underside of the bike, and that hasn't budged. Also measured the clutch cable under the little sheath by the left foot peg, and that seems ok too. Any ideas as to what I can check next?

Tomorrow i'll give her a real good clean, then next week i'm going to swap the front brake pads and top up the brake fluid - and if I can get my hands on a torque wrench i'll swap out the rear shock :)

Thanks again for all your help guys!

:mbird
  • Welly, NZ
  • 2 x sad k75s'

Offline Opus

• 1988 K100 LT
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2013, 08:38:09 AM »
Check the cable path and make sure it is not binding on anything or pulled tight on the frame.
That can cause it to feel stiff also.
Toney

Offline TimTyler

• Adrninistrator
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2013, 09:46:00 AM »
... I was rolling at about 30kph in 3rd, up hill, ...

I'm barely in 2nd gear at 30kph (18mph)  :yow

Offline grant71

« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2013, 03:52:47 PM »
bad luck on your fall. yes you are right. DIESEL SLICK. i ve fallen twice due to diesel on the bends in Capetown. the buses overfill the tanks and on a curve itsloshes out. these days i watch the road surface for any dark stain. the roasties were most unpleasant. go well.
I Live In Cape Town South Africa.  I Ride A 1986 K100RS.

Offline Jeff Sichoe

• ^ Motobrick Curious
  • ruddy bastard
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2013, 02:55:28 AM »
Check the cable path and make sure it is not binding on anything or pulled tight on the frame.

You were bang on! It seemed to be caught up around the air box, I wiggled it free and all was well. :)

Thanks
  • Welly, NZ
  • 2 x sad k75s'

Offline Opus

• 1988 K100 LT
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2013, 07:43:04 AM »

You were bang on! It seemed to be caught up around the air box, I wiggled it free and all was well. :)

Thanks

Glad I could help.  :2thumbup:
Toney

Tags: