Author Topic: My K75 RT To Naked K75 Conversion Project  (Read 9501 times)

Offline gag1025

• Ride It Like You Stole It
  • ^ Motobrick Curious
My K75 RT To Naked K75 Conversion Project
« on: August 30, 2016, 11:05:01 AM »
The photos tell the story.
  • Gibsonville, NC
  • 1992 BMW K 75 RT ABS but soon to be a Naked K75

Offline gag1025

• ^ Motobrick Curious
Re: My K75 RT To Naked K75 Conversion Project
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2016, 11:26:17 AM »
I have tried to send 7 photos but the post never seemed to show up so I guessed that the files were too large. I then decided to send them one at a time so here goes. I decided to make this a naked K75 after taking all the fairings off. I decided to use the stock OEM parts which included the radiator trim (shroud) and side trim pieces. I had to find the radiator trim (shroud) on eBay because there are none available from BMW. The side trim pieces are available so I was able to purchase one from them (the eBay purchase included one side trim piece as well as the radiator shroud). Since the 1992 K75 RT radiator is larger than the stock K75 I had to use the radiator trim pieces from a K100 bike which uses the larger radiator. Thanks to Tim Tyler for this information. Otherwise I would never have known and the project would never have happened.  I also used the stock headlight cockpit and headlight housing as well as the stock front turn signal assembly. I made the bracket for the Wolo air horn. I saw a guy on You Tube  who made a bracket for the two front brake and ABS lines but do not see a place to attach it so I zip tied the two lines to the upper frame to get them out of the way and this works fine.  I do have a part left over because I can not figure out where it goes. Perhaps you can enlighten me. It is part no. 46631453527 and is identified as part 19 with the name holder on the parts list. http://www.carolinaeuro.com/fiche/diagrams.php?id=51747.

(look at the bracket at the 1:15 mark)

)
  • Gibsonville, NC

Offline gag1025

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2016, 11:27:19 AM »
Photo three. More to follow.
  • Gibsonville, NC

Offline gag1025

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2016, 11:29:30 AM »
I am not sure of what happened to the other three posts with this same information. If you see them floating around or they showed up in another category please tell me.
  • Gibsonville, NC

Offline gag1025

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2016, 11:30:51 AM »
Photo 5.
  • Gibsonville, NC

Offline gag1025

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2016, 11:37:46 AM »
BTW the truck is a 1953 Chevy Hot Rod weekend driver and show truck. I actually drive it. This is not a Trailer Queen. Someone asked me how long it took to build it. I said 4 1/2 years. He asked why I would spend all those years building it and then drive it. My reply was why would I spend all those years building it and not drive it. Why would I want to build someting and just let it sit in the garage just so I could dust it off once a week, polish it twice a year just to be able to sit and look at it. In two years I will have won enough trophies to fill a room so why would I want to win enough to fill an attic. My plan is to show iit for one more year and then not show it anymore. Just drive it and go to Cruise Ins. Life is too short to just look at something. Drive it.
  • Gibsonville, NC

Offline gag1025

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2016, 11:51:37 AM »
This is the last photo. I have no idea why it says that you can post 20 photos and I had to do it one at a time, but this was actually more fun to do. Thanks for looking. If you have any suggestions please reply. Plus tell me where the extra part # 19 goes. left over parts leave me with an empty feeling. I have this need to know. Again thanks for looking. I do have to go back and adjust the right side trim piece to close the gap a bit. The bike actually rides better without the clunky fairings. I also used stock side mirrors. The windshield is a MRA Roadshield RO Style. I have the side bags as well. I bought the bike from Hermy's Triumph/BMW in Port Clinton, PA (7 hour trip from me) and the bags did not come with the bike. I contacted the original owner who said the bags plus a tank bag went with the bike when he sold it. I contacted the second owner and he said he forgot to include them when he had Hermy's sell the bike for him. It cost me an additional $500 for those three bags (two side bags and the tank bag) but it was worth it because they look like they were never used on the bike. They look brand new. Actually I may be interested in selling the tank bag along with the clunky RT fairings if someone is interested. This winter I am going to have the seat modified because at 6'2" I find the passenger seat part uncomfortable so I am going to get my upholstery buddy to cut this part out and make the seat one continuous flat piece all the way back. What do you think about this seat conversion? Again thanks for looking at my project.
  • Gibsonville, NC

Offline Laitch

• Faster than a speeding pullet
  • Administrator
  • ^ Quintessential Motobricker
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2016, 11:58:02 AM »
I have no idea why it says that you can post 20 photos and I had to do it one at a time, but this was actually more fun to do.
I have an idea. They're too durn big and they take too long to upload. Learn how to resize them and you'll be able to post groups of them. Of course, your fun-factor will diminish.
:musicboohoo:
  • Along the Ridley in Vermont.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles
I wept because I had no radials until I met a man who had no splines.
https://tinyurl.com/RillRider

Offline gag1025

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2016, 12:22:38 PM »
Thanks Laitch. I think you are right about the photo size. This way was actually a lot more fun. Plus it shows the photos in a size that makes it easier to see the details.
  • Gibsonville, NC

Offline Joseph

• Curious
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2018, 12:22:29 PM »
Hey, did you found out the use of part 46631453527 ?
  • Belgium
  • K100LT - R100RS -R80ST

Offline gag1025

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2018, 01:17:22 PM »
I never did. I am still waiting for someone to tell me what it is used for, how it is attached and where it is attached. Asking at the BMW dealership is of no help either. Like the service guy told me. None of their mechanics know anything about the K bikes. They are all young and only are able to work on the new bikes. My cousin who lives in CA (2500 miles away) wanted the fairings, etc. I took off to make my RT into a street bike. I needed to take the side mirrors off so that they would not get damaged in shipment.  I tried to follow the instructions but was afraid I would break them so I took the console to my local BMW dealership and they were of zero help for the reason I mentioned above. I finally took the light apart and was able to remove the bolts. Please let me know where that part goes if and when you find out. I still have it and would like to put it on.
  • Gibsonville, NC

Offline Laitch

• Faster than a speeding pullet
  • Administrator
  • ^ Quintessential Motobricker
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2018, 01:58:20 PM »
I never did. I am still waiting for someone to tell me what it is used for, how it is attached and where it is attached. as able to remove the bolts.
Service around here can suck. :giggles 

I went to the Service Manual section on this site, found the K75/K100 2V manual, went to the Frame, fairing chapter, looked under K100 radiator trim removing and installing 46–20 and found this diagram. The red arrow indicates what I believe to be part #19 in your reference and shows how it is attached. If you had one, you could place it in position and might get a sense of its use. It could be for hose routing, for stabilizing the shroud on the radiator or for a combination of uses.

Maybe somebody who has one of these arrays will respond and have mercy on you.
  • Along the Ridley in Vermont.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles
I wept because I had no radials until I met a man who had no splines.
https://tinyurl.com/RillRider

Offline AtLarge

• ^ Proficient Motobricker
  • Not too many bikes. Garage too small.
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2018, 07:24:40 PM »
Drive it.

Bravo!   :clap:

Nice nekid bike too BTW.
  • IA
  • 1994 K1100RS
1973 Honda CL70-K3, 1975 Kawasaki 350 F9-C, 1994 BMW K1100RS, 2023 Honda CRF300L Rally ABS

Tags: