Author Topic: Epic summer ride  (Read 4173 times)

Offline koapono

• ^ Proficient Motobricker
Epic summer ride
« on: August 25, 2016, 06:53:40 AM »
Just completed a 7,949 mile ride across and around the USA with side trips into Canada.
The first leg of the journey was a solo cross-country trip from Virginia to Santa Monica, California. I left home on 20 July and arrived at the pacific coast on 24 July. This was a rather maniacal solo jaunt with no stops other than food, fuel and lodging as I had to be in California on the 25th to fetch the lovely Mrs Koapono at LAX when her flight arrived.
The second portion of my journey was the week spent visiting with daughter, her spouse and my 6 month old grand-daughter. It was a great week, lots of baby time and bonding but I'm sure I was forgotten soon after my departure as she is just 6 months old and her attention span rivals mine.
The final portion of my journey was a 2-up return ride home, the long way!
We left California and rode north to Portland, Oregon where we stayed a couple nights.
Turned east and rode through the gorge along the Columbia River then up through Spokane, Washington and on to Coeur D'Alene, Idaho. Spent a couple nights in Coeur D'Alene then rode north across USA/Canada border to British Columbia, crossed the rockies through Kootenay Nat'l Park, over the continental divide, into Alberta and stopped in Banff Nat'l Park where we spent 3 days seeing the sights.
After our Banff sightseeing excursions we dropped south, back into the USA and down to Kalispell, Montana.
Turned east and rode US Route 2 (The Highline) through Montana, North Dakota, Minnesota and the upper peninsula of Michigan.
Back into Canada at the Sault St Marie border crossing, Ontario, across Ontario dropping back into USA at Ogdensburg, NY.
Made the final turn south and rode home going through New York, Pennsylvania, Maryland, West Virginia and Virginia.
the ride was mostly interstate highways with exception of Route 2 which is a lovely 2-lane ribbon of asphalt that cuts through the northern prairies and grasslands, sparsely populated and little to no traffic and a couple of rides up and over the rockies. There was no peg-dragging or sliding as the Mrs frowns upon such behavior.
The LT performed flawlessly and I experienced no failure of any sort, like a brick: solid and reliable!
Some observations:
Intestate riding sucks! yes it is the fastest way from A to B but it is also mind-numbing especially in MO, KS, eastern CO, NV and western CA. Making matters worse my ride across took place in what was probably the hottest week of the year actual temps hovering around 105F made for unpleasant ride.
I-64 across WV and I-70 from Denver to Utah are rather pleasant rides, some twisty roads, elevation changes and nice scenery to be had.
Portland is not as "weird" as they would have you believe though it is a city worth a stop as is Coeur D'Alene, ID. Both offered diversions aplenty with good eateries from pub-grub to fine dining.
Banff was unbelievably crowded, truly unexpected and I was shocked by the crowds present at every attraction. More like Times Square on new years eve than a return to nature outing.
Banff and neighboring Canmore are lovely towns, alpine type villages nestled amongst the high rockies truly worth a visit but off-season if there is such a thing.
Route 2 across MT and ND is nearly deserted, 70 MPH posted speed yet the road invites triple digit speed for those so inclined. Gas stops few and far between, keep your tank half full or better! Often went miles on end without seeing any other traffic. Lovely.
Border crossings were easy: passport, remove helmet (2 of the 4 crossings as agents request), small talk w/agent and then welcome to Canada or USA. My crossings were at remote outposts, little delay and no hassles.
The bridge from Prescott, Ontario to Ogdensburg, NY is a 1.5 mile steel grate! Scoot absolutely refused to track as it should the tires seemed to prefer individual grooves regardless of speed. The Mrs wanted to get off and walk! Can't imagine that when wet and in high wind conditions.
Stopped at the Aerostitch retail store/factory in Duluth, MN, cool stop if you're in the area though everything on the shelves is also in the catalog. You may score a deal on repaired/returned suits otherwise prices are the same as catalog offerings. nice folks though.
Ogdensburg is the home of Fredrick Remington, you can visit his house and museum. Great collection of American West frontier life, worth a stop unto itself.
A great trip, met some nice folks along the way, saw some great sites and rode some great roads. Always nice to get home but once scoot is washed and laundry done I'm ready to roll again!
some pics.
Me, ready to roll on departure day.
me and grand-daughter.
me and Mrs in Banff.
Lake moraine, glacier melt and minerals create blue water.
Three sisters in Canmore, doesn't every mountain range have 3 sisters?
The sweetie at Center of North America, Rugby, ND.
Paul Bunyan and Babe, Bemidji, MN.
Aero store, duluth, MN.
Route 2 in either MN, WI or MI: straight, empty and lots of trees.
The Mrs takes a 70MPH selfie.
Map showing route taken. sorry for the flash glare.
  • prince george, VA (25 miles south of richmond)
  • 1994 K1100LT

Offline billday

• ^ Quintessential Motobricker
Re: Epic summer ride
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2016, 07:27:00 AM »
Awesome trip, thanks for sharing!
  • New York State, USA 10977
  • 1985 K100

Offline TrueAce

• ^ SuperNatural Motobricker
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2016, 12:01:27 AM »
Really fine report. Thanks for taking time to share!
  • Florida
  • '85 K100GS, '85 K100RSSC,', '94 K1100RS,'10 S1000rr,'14 Ural Sidecar, '15 R Nine T

Offline TimTyler

• Adrninistrator
  • ^ Quintessential Motobricker
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2016, 12:28:09 AM »
Epic, indeed!

Disappointed I didn't get the chance to connect for a few miles while you were in the pacific northwest.

Thanks for the report.

Tags: