Author Topic: K100 Modern Cafe Project  (Read 59798 times)

Offline jc55

• ^ Proficient Motobricker
Re: K100 Modern Cafe Project
« Reply #50 on: March 03, 2017, 10:54:39 PM »
Yes good plan. As soon as I rode my K for the first time the other day, I knew there was something special about them.

Raising the bar on yourself is what it's all about. I look forward to seeing your next build. I think I'm going to build an R100 next.
  • Carrollton, Ohio
  • '90 K100LT '77 Gl1000

Offline Mike Flores

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #51 on: April 12, 2017, 05:43:50 PM »
I'm pretty close to having the bike completely repaired and back together, just in time for the Handbuilt show next week in Austin, TX. I figured I'd take this opportunity to share a few more pieces that went into the build, and show a little more than I did when I built it the first time.

Here's my spal e-fan replacement and the bracket I made for it. I ended up using a fairly thick piece of aluminum sheet so that I had the room to counter-sink the holes and have the bolts tighten down flush to the bracket, so as not to risk bolt heads getting into the radiator fins.

Here are the new engine cases back from powdercoat. those smaller pieces are the brackets I cut out of aluminum to mount my Ducati carbon front fender.

I had to do the fin polishing myself. I am definitely not a pro at this, but I'm satisfied with the results:

Here's my newer lighter battery tray and smaller Shorai. Also note I made a new shorter ground cable, along with another ground cable that I run directly from the negative terminal on the battery to the stock frame ground location under the fuel tank. A fully powdercoated frame doesn't ground very well on it's own.

You might notice that my fuel tank rubber bushings are out a bit wider... in my rush to get a good tank and fast I made the error of buying both a K1100 tank, and a K75 tank (listed mistakingly as a K100 tank on ebay). The K1100 tank fits after I tapped the frame lugs and put bolts into them to widen to the proper length. Loctite wasn't cutting it, so I used some jb weld as threadlocker and put a couple dabs to keep the bushings at the extremities. This seemed like a better option than cutting/griding/welding on my freshly powdercoated frame.

How my bike looks at the moment. The ultra black was cured as of last night, so I just need to install the throttle cable, clutch cable, fill with fluids, and fire it up. Also need to zip tie the wiring to the frame. All told, I hope to be riding it tomorrow.
  • Los Angeles, CA
  • 1987 K100

Offline Boxermann

« Reply #52 on: April 13, 2017, 03:11:36 AM »
Great update! What model is the fan?
  • Norway
  • K100 / '87, K75 / '87

Offline pablooo

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #53 on: April 13, 2017, 03:21:47 AM »
What'd you use to polish the fins? Can't tell if they were masked off before the powder coating or if you took it off somehow after?
  • Austin, Tx
  • BMW K100, FZ-07

Offline Mike Flores

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #54 on: April 13, 2017, 01:32:01 PM »
Great update! What model is the fan?

It's the Spal 6.5" Puller fan, as documented by others here on the forum. I did switch the connector it came with to an AMP superseal connector. It can be purchased here: http://www.universalpartsinc.com/shopping/productDetails.aspx?i=749937&c=0

• Los Angeles, CA
  • 1987 K100

Offline Mike Flores

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #55 on: April 13, 2017, 01:35:43 PM »
What'd you use to polish the fins? Can't tell if they were masked off before the powder coating or if you took it off somehow after?

They were not masked off for powdercoating, the entire covers were powdercoated and then I used an air grinder with a sanding flap wheel (180 grit I beleive) to carefully grind off the powdercoat on just the fins. This is how it was done by the polishing shop the powdercoaters used during my initial build, I just had to do it myself this time around due to time contraints. I used a couple layers of blue painters tape, and then a layer of electrical tape to protect the area immediately adjacent to the fins in case I messed up... but luckily it wasn't an issue. I just had to take my time and be very careful.
  • Los Angeles, CA
  • 1987 K100

Offline Elipten

• ^ SuperNatural Motobricker
« Reply #56 on: April 13, 2017, 08:37:41 PM »
Mike

You have a template for the fan mounting plate?  And what thickness of aluminum plate did you use?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
  • San Antonio, TX
  • 1990 K75RT

Offline Mike Flores

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #57 on: April 14, 2017, 06:24:32 PM »
Mike

You have a template for the fan mounting plate?  And what thickness of aluminum plate did you use?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I did not make a template, I just traced the old fan on the aluminum sheet with a sharpie, and whittled away at it from there (with a plasma cutter). If memory serves, it's 0.250" aluminum. Way thicker than it needed to be other than allowing for clean mounting with countersunk bolts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Los Angeles, CA
  • 1987 K100

Offline MaraudeRS

« Reply #58 on: May 04, 2017, 11:21:37 PM »
Mike, I love what you've done with your brick. Any updates?

I'll be doing an 06/07 gsx-r600/750 swap soon on my '92 K100RS. I realize that you had to replace the stem but did you have to replace the triple clamps also? Or did you only replace them because you wanted to? I'll be getting a stem and bearings from Cognito moto too.

• Monterey, CA
  • 1992 K100RS

Offline Mike Flores

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #59 on: May 04, 2017, 11:55:53 PM »
Mike, I love what you've done with your brick. Any updates?

I'll be doing an 06/07 gsx-r600/750 swap soon on my '92 K100RS. I realize that you had to replace the stem but did you have to replace the triple clamps also? Or did you only replace them because you wanted to? I'll be getting a stem and bearings from Cognito moto too.

I got the bike back together, and everything seems to be great so far. Even after the improvements, the bike looks pretty much just as it was.

I replaced the triple clamps because I wanted to, not because I needed to. I think you'll be fine with the new stem (and bearings) and stock gsxr triple trees.
  • Los Angeles, CA
  • 1987 K100

Offline MaraudeRS

« Reply #60 on: May 05, 2017, 12:18:15 AM »

I got the bike back together, and everything seems to be great so far. Even after the improvements, the bike looks pretty much just as it was.

I replaced the triple clamps because I wanted to, not because I needed to. I think you'll be fine with the new stem (and bearings) and stock gsxr triple trees.
Thanks for the quick reply, Mike! And thanks for the info. I do like the look of the triple clamp you used better than the stock gixxer one (especially since it says Suzuki on it) so I may just bite the bullet and get one.

I know you said your turn radius is much bigger now with the strap-ons. Do you think using 1" or 2" rise strap-ons would help with that? Or is it not because of the strap-ons?

• Monterey, CA
  • 1992 K100RS

Offline Mike Flores

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #61 on: May 05, 2017, 12:32:05 PM »
I know you said your turn radius is much bigger now with the strap-ons. Do you think using 1" or 2" rise strap-ons would help with that? Or is it not because of the strap-ons?

The increase in turning radius is marginally due to the clip ons, and mostly because of the new fork tubes having less an offset from the steering stem as compared to the stock front end.

In short, when you swap to a front end from a sportbike, you're going to end up with a sportbike turning radius.
  • Los Angeles, CA
  • 1987 K100

Offline MaraudeRS

« Reply #62 on: May 05, 2017, 12:36:55 PM »

The increase in turning radius is marginally due to the clip ons, and mostly because of the new fork tubes having less an offset from the steering stem as compared to the stock front end.

In short, when you swap to a front end from a sportbike, you're going to end up with a sportbike turning radius.

That makes sense. Thx again!

• Monterey, CA
  • 1992 K100RS

Offline dopen-q8

• Curious
« Reply #63 on: May 15, 2017, 10:23:12 PM »
Hello Mike,
Well done on your build and your bike is one of the best k100 I have seen so far. I want to ask you about the front fork, what did you use to make it fit properly and what parts are needed from cognitomoto. com.

Thanks
  • Portland
  • k100

Offline Mike Flores

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #64 on: May 16, 2017, 11:06:01 AM »
Hello Mike,
Well done on your build and your bike is one of the best k100 I have seen so far. I want to ask you about the front fork, what did you use to make it fit properly and what parts are needed from cognitomoto. com.

Thanks

Thank you.

Cognito Moto is making it very easy for fork conversions at this point, basically this is what you need:
https://cognitomoto.com/collections/fork-conversion-parts/products/gsx-r-fixed-offset-triple-tree-conversion-30mm-45mm-50mm-55mm-60mm

That's the complete kit that will give you everything you need, you just need to input your fork make/model/year, and decide which offset you want (it's going to depend on the year/make/model of forks you get - specifically the fork tube length and how that affects rake/trail).

• Los Angeles, CA
  • 1987 K100

Offline Bluesmoke69

• Curious
« Reply #65 on: August 16, 2017, 11:01:04 PM »
Great looking bike, love the rear cowel.
  • Minneapolis
  • 1985 BMW k100rs

Offline critter

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #66 on: August 25, 2017, 05:22:01 AM »
true craftsman great work and bike  :2thumbup:
  • australia
  • k100

Offline Phil_L

• Curious
« Reply #67 on: December 28, 2017, 05:03:32 PM »

Thank you.

Cognito Moto is making it very easy for fork conversions at this point, basically this is what you need:
https://cognitomoto.com/collections/fork-conversion-parts/products/gsx-r-fixed-offset-triple-tree-conversion-30mm-45mm-50mm-55mm-60mm

That's the complete kit that will give you everything you need, you just need to input your fork make/model/year, and decide which offset you want (it's going to depend on the year/make/model of forks you get - specifically the fork tube length and how that affects rake/trail).

Hi Mike,

great build!!! what offset did you go with for the stem?
  • Ottawa Canada
  • K100RS

Offline mister_anger

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #68 on: February 20, 2018, 11:49:40 AM »
I am wondering if these forks have extensions or did Mike accept the front end being lower then stock? Cause as far as I know these GSXR fork are a lot shorter then the  stock ones.
I am starting with a K100 rebuild and was wondering if I can accept the frond end being lower.

thanks, M
  • Belgium
  • Triumph speed triple, honda cbx750f, BMW K100RS

Offline Mike Flores

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #69 on: February 20, 2018, 01:19:16 PM »
I am wondering if these forks have extensions or did Mike accept the front end being lower then stock? Cause as far as I know these GSXR fork are a lot shorter then the  stock ones.
I am starting with a K100 rebuild and was wondering if I can accept the frond end being lower.

thanks, M

I accepted the front end being much lower than stock, and I also put a longer shock setup in the rear.
  • Los Angeles, CA
  • 1987 K100

Offline mister_anger

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #70 on: February 20, 2018, 02:41:55 PM »
thanks for the reply Mike. I am doing the same wheel change as you are but I have a fully rebuild triumph sprint ST fork laying here so I am thinking of installing that. Kinda like the triumph calliper on a BMW  :bmwsmile
This front fork is 29.5 inch and if I am not mistaken yours is 28.6 inch. Standard is 31.8 inch.
Do you have any idea what the rake and trail is on your bike?
How is the steer handling with the gsxr forks?
If any problems rise and I can always install a step down top yoke.

thx, M
  • Belgium

Offline Mike Flores

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #71 on: February 20, 2018, 02:59:12 PM »
thanks for the reply Mike. I am doing the same wheel change as you are but I have a fully rebuild triumph sprint ST fork laying here so I am thinking of installing that. Kinda like the triumph calliper on a BMW  :bmwsmile
This front fork is 29.5 inch and if I am not mistaken yours is 28.6 inch. Standard is 31.8 inch.
Do you have any idea what the rake and trail is on your bike?
How is the steer handling with the gsxr forks?
If any problems rise and I can always install a step down top yoke.

thx, M

I didn't log the rake and trail details when I built the bike, but the trail is definitely shorter than stock, leading to...

The steering handling is much "faster" or "quicker" or more responsive than stock. It handles very much the way a sportbike does, although I wouldn't describe it as twitchy, just more "flickable."
  • Los Angeles, CA
  • 1987 K100

Offline mister_anger

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #72 on: February 20, 2018, 03:20:28 PM »
my daily driver is a triumph speed triple 1050 so I know how that you mean with flickable. looking forward to having a BMW with the same attitude
  • Belgium

Offline mister_anger

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #73 on: February 27, 2018, 03:46:10 PM »
Mike,

Unless I missed it somewhere in this thread but is this a 16V or 8V K100?
Just asking cause I lended a K1200RS rear wheel from a friend to see it will fit the K100 8V but it seems the offset is not what it should be and also fitting a tyre on this 5" rim will get realy close to the swingarm.

thx, M

It's an 8V K100. The wheel centerline is slightly left of center, and the tire does come pretty close to the swingarm, but in roughly 4,500 miles of riding it hasn't been a problem for me.

My rear tire is a Pirelli Angel GT 170/60/17
  • Belgium

Offline Mike Flores

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #74 on: February 27, 2018, 03:51:14 PM »
Whoa, I have no idea what went wrong with the forum software that allowed me to post from your account. weird!
  • Los Angeles, CA
  • 1987 K100

Tags: