Author Topic: K100 Modern Cafe Project  (Read 59480 times)

Offline furnimoto

• ^ Motobrick Curious
Re: K100 Modern Cafe Project
« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2017, 02:02:54 AM »

You can see pics from my post. 

Duc, I saw that you were rocking the fox shock on the fist of fury a while back, that's why I thought that, between you and Mike both using fox, there might have been a shock specified for bricks. Thanks for the links, I've been eying that unit garage exhaust for a while as my project is some kind of scrambler thing.

Also, thanks Mike for the bsk link, I think that ohlins might be a good choice. I'm going to keep researching for a bit. By the way your exhaust looks really nice, did you fabricate that merge collector?
  • Oakland, CA
  • 1996 bmw k1100rs, 1973 bmw r75/5, 2015 ducati diavel

Offline duckytran

• ^ Proficient Motobricker
« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2017, 10:02:38 AM »

Duc, I saw that you were rocking the fox shock on the fist of fury a while back, that's why I thought that, between you and Mike both using fox, there might have been a shock specified for bricks. Thanks for the links, I've been eying that unit garage exhaust for a while as my project is some kind of scrambler thing.

Also, thanks Mike for the bsk link, I think that ohlins might be a good choice. I'm going to keep researching for a bit. By the way your exhaust looks really nice, did you fabricate that merge collector?

Furnimoto,
Check this site out. It has K-Bike exhaust and parts that may fit your build. They have K100 4-1 collector.

http://cafe4racer.eu/en/
  • Austin, Texas
  • 1993 K75, 1981 R65

Offline duckytran

« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2017, 12:38:16 PM »
Mike,

Congrats on your bike being featured at bikebrewers.com!

http://bikebrewers.com/bmw-k100-cafe-racer/

Duc
  • Austin, Texas
  • 1993 K75, 1981 R65

Offline Markus77

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #28 on: January 25, 2017, 02:52:37 PM »
Mike guess who's bike I just saw featured on Bike EXIF!! Congrats man that's super cool. Enjoy the bike:)

Mark
  • Toronto
  • '94 K75RT

Offline Mike Flores

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #29 on: January 25, 2017, 09:44:48 PM »
Thanks Markus77! I actually submitted it to Bike Exif, so it wasn't a surprise for me... but I feel very honored that they found it worthy of posting. I've always been a huge fan of Bike Exif, so it means a lot to me personally. I love how much love/hate there is for the K bikes, especially there, haha.
  • Los Angeles, CA
  • 1987 K100

Offline Boxermann

K100 Modern Cafe Project
« Reply #30 on: January 26, 2017, 02:24:43 AM »
Congratulations for the articles. Well deserved. Bike looks stunning. Great photos too!
  • Norway
  • K100 / '87, K75 / '87

Offline TrueAce

• ^ SuperNatural Motobricker
« Reply #31 on: January 26, 2017, 08:29:53 AM »
Congratulations, Mike. Being selected by Bike EXIF with world-wide competition, your bike deserves tremendous respect. That you built it in a DIY garage, makes your achievement more impressive. You may be responsible for starting a wave of K bike buyers descending on the market! :2thumbup:
  • Florida
  • '85 K100GS, '85 K100RSSC,', '94 K1100RS,'10 S1000rr,'14 Ural Sidecar, '15 R Nine T

Offline topfueltrav

• Curious
« Reply #32 on: January 26, 2017, 10:29:59 AM »
Hey I'm working on one myself. Where did you relocate your computer to?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Offline Mike Flores

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #33 on: January 26, 2017, 05:23:07 PM »
Hey I'm working on one myself. Where did you relocate your computer to?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
It's under the cowl.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Los Angeles, CA
  • 1987 K100

Offline furnimoto

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #34 on: February 04, 2017, 12:34:23 AM »
This showed up in my youtube recommended videos today

• Oakland, CA
  • 1996 bmw k1100rs, 1973 bmw r75/5, 2015 ducati diavel

Offline Mike Flores

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #35 on: February 26, 2017, 11:12:29 AM »
Well, last night I got hit on the bike by a car that ran a red light. Happened about 1/4 mile from home, after a 300 mile ride out to the desert and back. Thanks to some cat like reflexes and fully armored leather gear, all I've got to show for it is a nice bruise on my leg... however my bike needs some work.
Everything is fixable, but I'm going to need some help finding some parts that I need to replace and am hoping there might be someone on here that can help me out by selling me what I need. Also, I've been invited to the Handbuilt Show in Austin, TX in April so I'm on a timeline to get it back to 100% before the show.[size=78%] [/size]

[/size]I need:[size=78%]

A good condition fuel tank (just the tank, don't need fuel pump, fuel cap, fuel level gauge) - I'm going to strip the paint and do the brushed finish, so it just can't be dented anywhere.

I also need a good condition valve/cam cover - paint and color doesn't matter as it will be powdercoated, it just can't have road rash.

If you have or know where I can find either of these parts it would help me out a lot. I'm checking eBay as well, but thought I'd ask here first.
  • Los Angeles, CA
  • 1987 K100

Offline The Mighty Gryphon

• Administrator
  • ^ Quintessential Motobricker
« Reply #36 on: February 26, 2017, 11:25:34 AM »
How bad is the tank?  You might take it around to a few paintless dent repair shops to get it straightened out.  Depending on the damage, they can do some pretty nice work. 

There are several tanks on eBay, and since you don't have a fairing(do you?) I would think almost anything should work as long as it isn't a very early one.

Are the repairs being paid for by the jerk who hit you?  If so, if you haven't already, get him to give you the money to buy a new one.  Then buy off eBay.  Same thing for the valve cover with mounting bolts and all the seals.  What about the grips?  Control levers?  Mirrors?  The difference can finance another project bike.
  • In my garage in Marilla, NY
  • '91K100RS White/Blue
Current:
'91 K100RS16V "Moby Brick Too"

Past:
'94 K75RT "Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS"
'92 K100RS16V "Moby Brick" (RIP, deceased in a vehicular assault)
'94 K75S Special Edition Dakar Yellow "Cheetos"
'89 K100RS Special Edition "Special Ed"

Offline pablooo

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #37 on: February 26, 2017, 12:04:13 PM »

Sorry to hear what happened! Saw the bike on your Instagram. Definitely a bummer to see the motogadget components also somewhat took a hit. If you do make out here to Austin in April make sure to let me know. I know of a few good places to ride out here in the hill country.
  • Austin, Tx
  • BMW K100, FZ-07

Offline bocutter Ed

« Reply #38 on: February 26, 2017, 12:17:07 PM »
Are the repairs being paid for by the jerk who hit you?  If so, if you haven't already, get him to give you the money to buy a new one.  Then buy off eBay.
Then there's that brand new OEM factory primered but unpainted tank sitting in my shop ...  :yes  Shipping would be a killer.
  • Toronto, Canada
  • '61 Puch DS60 - '66 Puch 250 SGS - '87 BMW K75s

Offline jc55

« Reply #39 on: February 26, 2017, 01:56:09 PM »
Aw man, this is awful!  Im so glad that you're okay and that the bike has minor damage. Looks like you've been riding it quite a bit.
  • Carrollton, Ohio
  • '90 K100LT '77 Gl1000

Online Martin

« Reply #40 on: February 26, 2017, 02:24:02 PM »

Glad to see you are alright sorry about the bike. I've had to drop my bike to avoid a red light runner while turning right, she went between two stopped cars at speed. The car behind me hit his horn, I hit the front brake hard and dumped the bike, she missed my front wheel by inches. She slowed down, then floored it, by the time I got the bike up again, and  pursued her but she was long gone. Did your idiot stop and did he get booked. 
Regards Martin.
  • North Lakes Queensland Australia
  • 1992 K75s Hybrid, Lefaux, Vespa V twin.

Offline Markus77

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #41 on: February 26, 2017, 03:00:00 PM »
Sorry to hear about this Mike - obviously the important thing is that you're okay but I'm sure you're pretty pissed about the damage to that beautiful bike! Hopefully you can find the parts you need quickly and hope you get it back on the road soon.
  • Toronto
  • '94 K75RT

Offline Boxermann

« Reply #42 on: February 27, 2017, 04:00:16 AM »
That sucks. Glad to hear you're okay though.
  • Norway
  • K100 / '87, K75 / '87

Offline Mike Flores

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #43 on: February 27, 2017, 01:21:23 PM »
Yes, the guy that hit me stopped and we exchanged insurance info. A witness that confirmed the guy ran the red light and hit me also stopped and gave me his info. The police were called, but here in CA if neither party is injured or under the influence the police don't come out and fill a report out, it's all handled through the insurance companies. Because the guy know's he's at fault, he's offered to pay me cash to fix the bike rather than go through insurance, which is fine by me... I'd rather not have an insurance company total my bike out.

I'm genuinely not the litigious type, and since I'm not really injured I don't mind handling it that way. But if the guy backs out... I know some good attorneys.

I've been more banged up by off's on a mountainbike, so I'm just considering myself very lucky. I'm more disappointed than pissed about the bike, but I'm going to take the opportunity to make the bike better than it was before.

Out of curiosity Ed, how much would you want for that tank you have in your shop?
  • Los Angeles, CA
  • 1987 K100

Offline duckytran

« Reply #44 on: February 27, 2017, 02:12:12 PM »
Mike,

Try contacting Mark. He has a K100 parts bike that he's using for his project. I've gotten a couple of parts from him. He's in Washington State, so shipping would be much cheaper to CA. I will be at the Handbuilt show, so I hope to see your bike there. Good luck!

http://www.motobrick.com/index.php/topic,8675.0.html

Duc
  • Austin, Texas
  • 1993 K75, 1981 R65

Offline bocutter Ed

« Reply #45 on: February 27, 2017, 02:23:16 PM »
Out of curiosity Ed, how much would you want for that tank you have in your shop?
New tank is ~$1500 at RealOEM.com. I could let it go for $600 ...
  • Toronto, Canada
  • '61 Puch DS60 - '66 Puch 250 SGS - '87 BMW K75s

Online Martin

« Reply #46 on: February 27, 2017, 03:15:21 PM »

We seem to now have three major problems with car drivers, red light runners, tail gating and mobile phone users. All three are deadly. I hope you manage to get your bike up and running better than ever.
Regards Martin.
  • North Lakes Queensland Australia
  • 1992 K75s Hybrid, Lefaux, Vespa V twin.

Offline Mike Flores

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #47 on: March 03, 2017, 12:16:42 PM »
Through some careful ebay searching, I've managed to find all the parts I'll need to get my bike back to 100% and for a decent amount less than I initially thought. All parts are ordered, so just waiting for the packages to arrive at this point. I ended up with two fuel tanks that appear to be in perfect condition thanks to some overzealous ebay "best offers" - but maybe I'll keep the other one for the next K100 build I do.

• Los Angeles, CA
  • 1987 K100

Offline jc55

« Reply #48 on: March 03, 2017, 03:09:26 PM »
That's great. Another build? Just curious knowing what you know now. What would you change?
  • Carrollton, Ohio
  • '90 K100LT '77 Gl1000

Offline Mike Flores

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #49 on: March 03, 2017, 10:19:21 PM »
That's great. Another build? Just curious knowing what you know now. What would you change?

Honestly, the major difference between mine and the next one will probably just be the way the cowl and tail section of the frame is designed (maybe round the edges a bit more) and that I'll TIG weld the entire frame next time. I also hope to get my aluminum skills up to snuff so that I can make my own cowl. In time I'd like to do the paralever K1100 swap on this bike, and also build a half fairing out of aluminum.

It's probably more likely that I add these parts to this bike before building a completely new one. It's just that I still love the K Bikes, and now that I can tackle the wiring and most of the maintenance jobs with confidence it just makes sense to build another one.

• Los Angeles, CA
  • 1987 K100

Tags: