Author Topic: K100 Modern Cafe Project  (Read 59745 times)

Offline Mike Flores

• ^ Motobrick Curious
K100 Modern Cafe Project
« on: August 19, 2016, 06:49:25 PM »
Hello everyone,

I thought I’d share my project with all of you since I’ve learned so much from this forum. I’m about 9 months into this project, but have really ramped it up over the past couple of months.

It all started when I picked up someone else’s half assed project K100. It had some nice components, but nearly everything done on it
was pretty hack / unsafe / and just plain wrong. I had a pretty clear vision for what I wanted out of my K100 build, and thought I might be
able to fix what was wrong with the bike and still meet that goal. As I got into the bike a bit, I realized that it just wasn’t going to happen and
that I’d need a new donor bike.

The stem on the golden GSXR front end was too long, resulting in the entire front end rocking back and forth if you applied the front brakes (death trap unsafe). The rear of the frame had been left open to the elements after it was chopped. The seat is laughable. The exhaust was nice, but in rough shape. The wheels and tires were good. It actually ran pretty strong despite all this. However, after some investigation I realized the bike had way more miles on it than I was comfortable with, so I set out to find a lower mile K100 donor. I found just what I was looking for in a paperwork free K100, and set about merging the bikes. I was planning to keep the wheels, exhaust, and titled frame. Almost everything else would be sold off to help fund the build.

I found a good deal on a newer GSXR 1000 front end, and ordered up some custom triple trees and stem from Cognito Moto along with new tapered bearings to mount it onto the K100 frame (and a bunch of other parts). I also picked up some rearsets from BSK Speedworks.

Here it is mocked up:

I wanted to re-work the rear of the frame, but it took a while for me to gain access to my friend’s shop so I could use his fabrication tools due to scheduling. We both had some time around the holidays, and set to work. I’d be cutting off the rear of the frame, as well as all the other tabs and mounts that I didn’t need. Because I was removing so much of the frame, including the shock mount, I needed to build a frame jig to make sure the frame didn’t get twisted up during welding. It also helped me locate the new shock mounts into exactly the same place. Here’s some pics of the frame fabrication:

My good friend Phil broke out his 35mm film camera and took some photos of me working on it:

I wanted to integrate my LED Taillight/Turns strip into the frame, so I cut a channel out of a piece of rectangular tubing and welded it into the rear part of the frame:

Frame Fab done. I reused the fuel tank mounts, as well as the mounts for the relay box.

Mocked up:

Now to work out a design for the rear cowl. My plan is to hide the L Jetronic ECU under the cowl, so it was made to fit that size. I also wanted to retain some squareness and angularity of the engine and stock fuel tank:

I got in touch with Cliff Meyer at Meyerbuilt Metal Works, who builds the cowls and LED integrated frame tails for Cognito Moto, and convinced him to make my cowl for me. I sent him my cardboard templates, and he whipped this badboy out for me:

It didn’t fit perfectly, but I didn’t expect it to considering I sent him a jigsaw puzzle of cardboard. Dimensionally it was perfect though, and it just needed a little massaging to fit perfectly. There’s an awesome DIY moto garage here in LA called Lucky Wheels that’s opened up, and they have a nice fab shop setup that I have been able to take advantage of. I’ve done the rest of my fab work and anything else I can’t do at home there.

Cowl fitted up perfectly:

Part of utilizing the old Triumph front wheel I had with the new ’13 GSXR 1000 front end required machining the hub down on each side to accommodate the wider Speed Triple rotors I was using. I also needed caliper spacers made, and axle spacers. I was able to get help from an old friend from my off-road racing days to help out with that. Here’s the front end all buttoned up:

Now time to tab the frame for the new seat/cowl:

Speed nuts just prior to being riveted in place:

ECU support plate:

Everything bolted in place:

Here’s the actual seat pan that will get upholstered and then riveted to the cowl/seat:

Seat upholstered, and mocked up, other progress:

Time to relax for now with my favorite Bourbon:

Getting into the fun part, wiring up the electronics. I’ll make another post here when I have some more time detailing the electronics and wiring portion that I have done so far.

• Los Angeles, CA
  • 1987 K100

Offline Markus77

• ^ Motobrick Curious
Re: K100 Modern Cafe Project
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2016, 08:03:52 AM »
Looks great so far! Love the integrated tail light, that's going to look really good. Impressive fabrication skills. Good luck and keep us posted on your progress,

Mark
  • Toronto
  • '94 K75RT

Offline Vespa no more

• ^ Proficient Motobricker
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2016, 08:01:25 AM »
Are the indicators part of the tail light? Or will there be extra indicators in addition to the tail light?
What are the details / specs of the tail light?

well done on the work. It looks well organised.

regards

Guy
  • Wollongong NSW AUSTRALIA
  • K100RT 1984, K1100RT 1993, Vespa VNB125 1963 :)

Offline rbm

• ^ Quintessential Motobricker
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2016, 12:27:26 PM »
Are the indicators part of the tail light? Or will there be extra indicators in addition to the tail light?
What are the details / specs of the tail light?
See this post
  • Regards, Robert
Toronto, Ontario

1987 K75 - Build Blog @http://k75retro.blogspot.ca/

Offline duckytran

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2016, 09:35:30 AM »
Mike,

Congrats on getting Honorable Mention at the Deus Bike Buildoff. Your K100 looks very sharp and professionally finished. Please share some pics with the community when you get a chance.  :2thumbup: :clap:
  • Austin, Texas
  • 1993 K75, 1981 R65

Offline sj2000

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2016, 12:41:22 PM »
looks good, did you measure the length difference between the yellow forks and the black ones, from what year are those yellow forks, I know you mentioned the black ones from 2013. The reason I asked I have 2003/04 GSXR1000 forks and stems that I'd like to use for the front end.
  • Parker, USA
  • 1985 K100

Offline Mike Flores

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2016, 05:41:44 PM »
I haven't really had time to put together a post detailing the wiring portion of the build, but suffice it to say it wouldn't have been possible without rbm's guidance or his TGPI 4.0 board. I promise I'll come back with some more later. Here are a couple photos from the Deus BBO event captured by their resident photographer Nevin...

I'm a cinematographer by trade, and plan on taking some really nice photos sometime in the near future. I also need to finish a few details on the bike before it's actually completed. (ceramic coating the exhaust, etc).
  • Los Angeles, CA
  • 1987 K100

Offline Laitch

• Faster than a speeding pullet
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2016, 06:04:18 PM »
I'm a cinematographer by trade, and plan on taking some really nice photos sometime in the near future. 
Action shots from a drone's perspective, too, of course. What I'd like to see is some detailed photos of what the alternator, starter and the back of the rider's jacket look like after the bike travels 50 miles on a wet highway. :giggles
  • Along the Ridley in Vermont.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles
I wept because I had no radials until I met a man who had no splines.
https://tinyurl.com/RillRider

Offline Filmcamera

« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2016, 08:00:47 PM »
I was a cinematographer in my former life back in the UK as well - hence the name... though I guess the word Film in there dates me lol
  • San Jose, Costa Rica
  • 1991 K100RS 16v ABS1, 2018 Triumph Street Triple RS 765
Poserbricker

Offline Markus77

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2016, 08:07:13 PM »
Mike great Job! Love the front end of this bike as well as the tail light / frame integration. Looking forward to seeing some more pics when you've got the finishing touches done:)
  • Toronto
  • '94 K75RT

Offline Mike Flores

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2016, 12:34:40 PM »
looks good, did you measure the length difference between the yellow forks and the black ones, from what year are those yellow forks, I know you mentioned the black ones from 2013. The reason I asked I have 2003/04 GSXR1000 forks and stems that I'd like to use for the front end.

I never bothered measuring the yellow forks because I knew I wasn't going to keep them. The yellow (gold forks) were from an '04-'05 GSXR 600/750. However, this chart has everything you'll need to know if you're trying to swap over a GSXR front end:

• Los Angeles, CA
  • 1987 K100

Offline Mike Flores

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2017, 02:22:24 AM »
Took some proper photos of my completed build:

• Los Angeles, CA
  • 1987 K100

Offline Boxermann

« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2017, 04:08:29 AM »
Beautiful! Perfect frame modification. Love the lines.  :2thumbup:

I must say I'm jealous of your small license plates and being able to place them there.
  • Norway
  • K100 / '87, K75 / '87

Offline Markus77

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2017, 07:36:39 AM »
Congrats on finishing the build - the bike looks awesome! Love the clean rear wheel, it really stands out with your frame modifications. Really nice work. Hope you can post a few more pics when time permits - that is a fantastic shot!
  • Toronto
  • '94 K75RT

Offline Mike Flores

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2017, 03:25:38 PM »
Here's a few more photos:

• Los Angeles, CA
  • 1987 K100

Offline Boxermann

« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2017, 03:43:11 PM »
Absolutely awesome.
  • Norway
  • K100 / '87, K75 / '87

Offline Markus77

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2017, 03:46:38 PM »
Wow that last picture in particular is amazing! Well done - beatiful bike and beatiful pics. Thanks for sharing those,
Mark
  • Toronto
  • '94 K75RT

Offline Boxermann

K100 Modern Cafe Project
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2017, 04:52:43 PM »
How does the lower front end affect handling?

Damn.. I had almost managed to convince myself to not spend money on a front swap... (Yet) But seeing how great your bike look with that GSXR front got me prowling eBay and junkyard sites again.  :eek:
  • Norway
  • K100 / '87, K75 / '87

Offline Mike Flores

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2017, 09:53:56 PM »
How does the lower front end affect handling?

With the lowered front end, and the increased length rear shock it handles like a sport bike instead of an upright sport touring bike. Turning radius is drastically increased (you'll look like a rookie everytime you go to park the bike). However, it handles really great up in the canyon roads (after some suspension tuning). I can easily keep up with my fast friend on his Thruxton R, though I'll get dropped by the modern liter bikes.
  • Los Angeles, CA
  • 1987 K100

Offline Elipten

• ^ SuperNatural Motobricker
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2017, 11:03:35 PM »
Best build to date.  Super job!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • San Antonio, TX
  • 1990 K75RT

Offline furnimoto

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2017, 12:42:48 AM »
It turned out super nice! I'm starting to look around for a rear shock for my project, how do you like that fox shock? Which model is it?
  • Oakland, CA
  • 1996 bmw k1100rs, 1973 bmw r75/5, 2015 ducati diavel

Offline Mike Flores

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2017, 12:31:28 PM »
It turned out super nice! I'm starting to look around for a rear shock for my project, how do you like that fox shock? Which model is it?

I love my Fox shock, however it's a completely custom one-off that was built utilizing an RC2 Podium shock (I have an old friend fairly high up at Fox). Because it isn't really available, I'd probably go with an Ohlins unit.
  • Los Angeles, CA
  • 1987 K100

Offline jc55

« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2017, 01:04:59 PM »
You know, I just didn't think that tail would work as I was going through the build pics, but dang, it works quite well!!!

Very creative being able to pull off such a unique design. It is so awesome! Nice fab skills :2thumbup:
  • Carrollton, Ohio
  • '90 K100LT '77 Gl1000

Offline duckytran

« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2017, 02:45:22 PM »

I love my Fox shock, however it's a completely custom one-off that was built utilizing an RC2 Podium shock (I have an old friend fairly high up at Fox). Because it isn't really available, I'd probably go with an Ohlins unit.

Furnimoto,
I spent quite a long time looking for a rear shock with a piggyback reservoir. There's not many options out there for K-Bikes. Ohlins does not make one with K-Bike specs. Unit Garage out of EU does sell one made for them (see link). Wilbers custom make one for all of the K-bike models (see link). Finally, I did procure a Fox RC2 Podium shock by working with ATVgalaxy and a Fox customer service rep. The key is to make sure the spring weigh range will support the K-Bike you're building. It's not the same as what Mike was able to get, but it's to my satisfaction. You can see pics from my post. 

http://www.unitgarage.com/ohlins_suspension_1

https://www.wilbers-shop.de/index.php?mfid=150&lang=1&cur=3

http://atvgalaxy.com/index.php/

http://www.motobrick.com/index.php/topic,8956.0.html

Good luck,
Duc

• Austin, Texas
  • 1993 K75, 1981 R65

Offline Mike Flores

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2017, 04:58:09 PM »
BSK Speedworks will sell you an Ohlin's shock made to spec for the K100 and your weight and riding style:

http://www.bskspeedworks.co.uk/ohlins-rear-shocks.html
  • Los Angeles, CA
  • 1987 K100

Tags: