Author Topic: K75S caferacer project - Hedgehog [Finished]  (Read 62575 times)

Offline NickHeijman

• ^ Motobrick Curious
K75S caferacer project - Hedgehog [Finished]
« on: August 02, 2016, 04:55:44 PM »
Hi Guys ! (and girls if there are any here  :eek:)

I'm new to the forum as a member but checking around for a while now, looking to some cafe racer projects and it convinced me to get a BRICK myself. I just bought my first bike and what kind of bike. A BMW K75S ex 1989 :bmwsmile !!!

During this year I got my licence to ride a heavy bike (24jrs +) I mean overhere you can have be 24+ or take a second exam after you got 2 years+ driving experience. Welcome to the Netherlands :) anyways I got one and now I got a bike.
I was looking around for a year now to get a base for the caferacer, looking at some Honda, Kawasaki and Yamaha bike's. I saw so many good looking CR's (cafe racers) but the BMW got my attention. The look and feel of driving this bike is amazing together with the quality of the bike it's amazing.

In a few months I will start doing the job to make a CR of it with. Just starting this topic to introduce myself and drop my bike on the before and making updates with pictures during the project.

Picture of the BRICK:

see below attachments :deal:

Inspiration bikes:

My questions: ( I know where to find the search button )
  • Which spedometer is the best alternative from the Original one? (to wire up, and work correctly :) )
  • Dimentions of a double seat in lenght? My GF likes to hop on once
  • A good exhaust silencer with DB killer, to make a short exhaust to free the rear wheel  :riding:

Will get back at ya !

Nick
  • Breda
  • BMW K75S

Offline TrueAce

• ^ SuperNatural Motobricker
Re: K75S caferacer project - Hedgehog
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2016, 07:40:17 PM »
Nick, you have picked some fine inspiration..........good luck on your journey. Plenty of folks here have travelled that path and can help you. Be sure to research the Liebrary on........related topics before asking. How about a pictorial on your bike before you start conversion?
And educate us about the age requirements of heavy & non-heavy motorcycles ........24 seems a little old for driving restrictions, how do they enforce folks riding big cc's?
  • Florida
  • '85 K100GS, '85 K100RSSC,', '94 K1100RS,'10 S1000rr,'14 Ural Sidecar, '15 R Nine T

Offline Laitch

• Faster than a speeding pullet
  • Administrator
  • ^ Quintessential Motobricker
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2016, 07:50:48 PM »
. . . how do they enforce folks riding big cc's?
If they don't do what they're told , they get spanked, Ace.
  • Along the Ridley in Vermont.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles
I wept because I had no radials until I met a man who had no splines.
https://tinyurl.com/RillRider

Offline TrueAce

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2016, 10:32:01 PM »
Latch...........You were more real when we could see your  bearded face staring at the atlas, contemplating your next two hour ride to the four corners of Vermont, but now with your back turned from the camera, staring forlornly toward Labrador, you seem to be drifting away. Latch, come back, Laitch, don't leave us!
  • Florida
  • '85 K100GS, '85 K100RSSC,', '94 K1100RS,'10 S1000rr,'14 Ural Sidecar, '15 R Nine T

Offline NickHeijman

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2016, 02:55:30 AM »
Hi Ace, thanks !

Let me explain al little.

Licence A1 (11kW) 18 t/m 19 jr Minimum age 18Jr (max 125cc, 11kW & 0,1kW/kg.)
Licence A2 (35kW) 20 t/m 23 jr Minimum age 20 jaar or minimal 2 jr licence A1 (max 35kW & 0,2kW/kg.)
Licence A (no ristriction) 22-24 jr Minimum age 22 jr + minimal 2 jr licence A2 OR age 24+ then you can get the licence A in once. (like I did)

Back on topic, later on this week I will post a pic of my new buddy :) it;s all rainy here pleh  :falldown:

Cheers, Nick
  • Breda
  • BMW K75S

Offline TrueAce

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2016, 11:04:11 AM »
Had no idea the regulations were that restrictive. Bet license, registration, taxes, insurance are a bunch! Pretty soon only old people will afford big bikes.
  • Florida

Offline TrueAce

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2016, 11:04:45 AM »
Had no idea the regulations were that restrictive. Bet license, registration, taxes, insurance are a bunch! Pretty soon only old people will afford big bikes.
  • Florida

Offline NickHeijman

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2016, 11:13:59 AM »
Pretty soon only old people will afford big bikes.

Hahahahaha ! No Ace, your wrong. Getting the licence is a bit messed up as I see it.
But a lot of youngsters above 24Jr drive a big bike ghehehe.

Anyways, check out my Original post. What do you think of it by updating all and adding some main questions to it so people can share some of their idea's. I know that I can search around but it's just for people who are intresting to share some  :lets-eat:

Cheers,
Nick
  • Breda
  • BMW K75S

Offline TrueAce

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2016, 12:58:24 PM »
Start out with specific ideas or modification you want to consider, you may get more input if you are specific on the topic. As for "how do I fiddly, do your research before asking others, that looks lazy.
  • Florida

Offline Laitch

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2016, 05:48:28 PM »
Had no idea the regulations were that restrictive. Bet license, registration, taxes, insurance are a bunch!
They've legalized prostitution and marijuana over there to ease the pain of bike ownership, Ace.

Anyway, Cafe4Racer is a vendor dedicated to cafe bike parts, Nick, and these pages are dedicated to K-bikes. At least one member here, Macgyver, has ordered from them and he seemed satisfied.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles

Offline TrueAce

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2016, 06:57:58 PM »
Yeah, maybe Laitch, but to stay stoned from 16 until 24 to overcome lack of access to big c.c. bikes just sorta wouldn't have worked for me back in the day...........I have always been compulsive when it comes to my compulsions. Just sayins I think there must be a bunch of go-fasters riding above their legal limit and getting away with it. Now those stories of flagrant violation of the motorcycle regulations would be real interesting. You know, you just don't think of those Dutch folks being rebel bikers. Although I met a Netherland dude,about 50, at a campground at Yellowstone who was very proud of his Victory Ace and restored '65 Mustang. Imagine our  conversation as I argued the superiority of BMW's over Victory's.
  • Florida

Offline NickHeijman

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2016, 08:48:14 AM »
Thank you Laitch, Ace, for the kind reply.

Yeah I will search the forum bottom/down to look for any solution I can't figure out my own.
Also realy like to hook-up with some topic's of fellow builders.

Hahahaha yeah we got POT on each streetcorner or coffeeshop, regarding the lady's I mean happy that there is such a service but not a complete fan of it. A lot of woman are pushed and beaten down to do such a job as that, on the other hand I think it will keep a lot of sexual abuse out of our country.

Anyways, back on topic. The weather is getting better and after a good wash this Saturday I will drop some pics of the BMW's beautiful iron BRICK.

Cheers guys,
Nick
  • Breda
  • BMW K75S

Offline jc55

• ^ Proficient Motobricker
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2016, 03:16:37 PM »
Nick, to answer your question on riding double, I saw the answer(in my opinion) on the internet lately. It was a bike that was a CF with a removable tail. When you removed the tail, there was an additional seat pad that bolted in place. It then looked like a scrambler.

Obviously, you couldn't stash electronics in the tail, but it was ingenious.

Personally, I like modular options. I always thought it would be cool to build an entire 'kit' for a bike so that you could change the entire look and color in 20 minutes by swapping bars, seats, tank, plastics, even wheels with different tires already mounted.

But I'm sort of weird like that  :2thumbup:
  • Carrollton, Ohio
  • '90 K100LT '77 Gl1000

Offline jc55

« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2016, 03:23:17 PM »
Here it is...
  • Carrollton, Ohio
  • '90 K100LT '77 Gl1000

Offline NickHeijman

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2016, 11:27:03 AM »
Thanks jc55 !

Will look into it :)

Attached to the original post a picture of the lady !

In a couple of weeks:
Starting with strap-ons
Round headlight with clips on the fork

Cheers,
Nick
  • Breda
  • BMW K75S

Offline NickHeijman

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2016, 01:19:41 PM »
Hi guys,

Well a small update post from the beautiful Dobrovnik, Croatie. I'm on holiday with the girl. Yaah. Unfortunately not on the bike :(

I bought some parts, strap-ons 41mm black, headlight with turn lights in it. What do you guys think? and a taillight with licenceplate holder.

Attached the pics.

Cheers Nick
  • Breda
  • BMW K75S

Offline Revrdmark

« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2016, 08:47:48 PM »
Like the tail light and strap-ons's ( do they have two tightening bolts ? Usually factory strap-ons's have a peg and socket to hold them in place. With out it single bolt clamps tend to turn and rotate on the forks. A lesson that scared the hell out of me on the track on an old SV1000 I used to ride !

Not a fan of the LED turn signal head light. I have visited enough friends in hospitals cause cars pull in front of them or didn't know they were turning cause they trimmed their signals or put flush mount ones on. I'm sure they are plenty bright but when they are only 5" apart it can be hard to tell which side is flashing. I'm just a grumpy old man about stuff like that :-). All my bikes have LED turn signals mounted so everyone knows I'm turning. Your milage may vary :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Spokane WA
  • 87 K100

Offline NickHeijman

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2016, 02:56:53 PM »
Reverdmark,

The strap-ons have 2 bolts and cnc machined to 41mm to fit the K-bikes. I could imagine that using only 1 bolt will get faulty once.

Regarding the headlight, it's just a start. I'm also not sure about it but it is worth the try in my opinion. Well see what happens on the road. I got a bunch a friend who would love to test out in dark it will be clear to see which direction i'm tending.

Will keep you guys posted about the other upcomming items. For now I will keep chilling out in Dubrovnik. Sun sun sun!

Cheers Nick
  • Breda
  • BMW K75S

Offline NickHeijman

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2016, 03:13:24 AM »
Hi guys,

Yesterday I started the teardown of the K75S . This week cleaning the fork and lowering it is on the agenda. Also ordering a new flexible front brake cable to arrange the strap-ons will be done.

For now I moved the contactlock to the side. I think I will make a nice mounth for it and leave it there. Looks cool to me :)

Regarding my tank, when I take it of to store it for a couple of weeks. Should I leave the fuel in it or make it empty?

Cheers,
Nick

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Breda
  • BMW K75S

Offline TrueAce

« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2016, 09:26:27 AM »
Use a syphon pump to drain the safely.e tank into an approved gas container. If the fuel is old, dispose safely.
  • Florida

Offline NickHeijman

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2016, 10:44:52 AM »
Thanks ace,

The fuel is fresh, I drove the bike 2 days ago for the last time and the fuel is like 1 week old.
Tomorrow I will bring the tank to my work we have a workshop where I can get rid of the "eyes" left and right of the tank and blast sand the tank.

Update's of all will follow.

Does any one has expireance with separate (open) air filters on the intake ?

Cheers,
Nick
  • Breda
  • BMW K75S

Offline Martin

« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2016, 04:12:30 PM »
Sand blasting may be too harsh, be careful when you blast the tank as it is only aluminium.
Regards Martin.
  • North Lakes Queensland Australia
  • 1992 K75s Hybrid, Lefaux, Vespa V twin.

Offline NickHeijman

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2016, 05:29:13 PM »
Thanks Martin,

I'm aware of it, we got glass pearls dry as blasting grid. Also we can adjust the pressure (will use 1,5 - 2 bar)

Here are some picture of the teardown of the tank, air filter, carbs and also I took out the grip heater.

Regarding the air intake, I will make a 90 degree turn on the carbs with a RVS pipe and mount 3 individual K&N open air filters on them. Looks awesome + the sound  :yow

For now, cleaning, cleaning and cleaning.

Cheers,
Nick
  • Breda
  • BMW K75S

Offline Martin

« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2016, 05:51:16 PM »
I am  slightly confused, it sounds like you are replacing the throttle bodies with carburetors, if so what carburetors are you going to use, and I presume you will remove the fuel injectors. If you are just replacing the filter with three K&N filters where are you going to fit the air flow meter? :dunno
Regards Martin.
  • North Lakes Queensland Australia
  • 1992 K75s Hybrid, Lefaux, Vespa V twin.

Offline Laitch

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2016, 08:34:08 PM »
Regarding the air intake, I will make a 90 degree turn on the carbs with a RVS pipe and mount 3 individual K&N open air filters on them. Looks awesome + the sound  :yow
Nick, you should consider studying how your bike works and what you call its parts so the rest of us will be able to understand what you are doing—no carbs on your K75. Go to Vogel's troubleshooting page, scroll past the troubleshooting chart and read about how the various parts work with each other. Your 90º rotation air intake scheme will not work the way you intend unless you include the air flow sensor in it. After you have read Vogel's explanation of the components, here are two more posts to read.
1. This one from rbm is about the air flow sensor limitations to modification.
2. This one is how Chaos used a single pod filter to modify his bike.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles

Tags: