Author Topic: 1987 K100 cafe or something build  (Read 50428 times)

Offline Revrdmark

• ^ Proficient Motobricker
1987 K100 cafe or something build
« Reply #75 on: April 08, 2017, 11:50:27 AM »
So started the base color coat. Just using a dupli-cote ford grey color from the local paint shop so I can easily get color match for touch ups. Here is one coat of primer and color on the tail section.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Spokane WA
  • 87 K100

Offline Revrdmark

Re: 1987 K100 cafe or something build
« Reply #76 on: April 09, 2017, 06:32:08 PM »
First coat of metallic gray on the fuel tank

There was a little blemish on the top of the tank I couldn't see except in bright light but I think I'll just leave it

• Spokane WA
  • 87 K100

Offline Martin

• ^ Quintessential Motobricker
« Reply #77 on: April 09, 2017, 10:11:37 PM »

I'd fix it now otherwise you will probably regret not doing it. It is easier now than later.
Regards Martin.
  • North Lakes Queensland Australia
  • 1992 K75s Hybrid, Lefaux, Vespa V twin.

Offline Laitch

• Faster than a speeding pullet
  • Administrator
« Reply #78 on: April 10, 2017, 12:16:01 AM »
There was a little blemish on the top of the tank I couldn't see except in bright light but I think I'll just leave it
I'd fix it now otherwise you will probably regret not doing it. It is easier now than later.
Regards Martin.
It looks like a nozzle ding. Cherish it as a lingering artifact from your bike's past and symbolic of indifference to the futile pursuit of perfection. 
  • Along the Ridley in Vermont.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles
I wept because I had no radials until I met a man who had no splines.
https://tinyurl.com/RillRider

Offline Revrdmark

« Reply #79 on: April 12, 2017, 01:40:36 AM »
Color is on the tank so I cut some 2" strips of vinyl to get ready to stick on before clear coat. I think I'm going to leave the paint a matte finish rather than sand it to a gloss. I kinda like the look better. I got home from work late (imagine that, the pastor working late during Holy Week!) so I just taped up the stripes to get a general idea of the look and I'll probably stick them on tomorrow

• Spokane WA
  • 87 K100

Offline Revrdmark

« Reply #80 on: April 12, 2017, 10:24:22 PM »
Came home after work and was probably too anxious to get the stripes put on the tank. I'm 80% happy with how they turned out. I didn't get them exactly in the same place on both sides. Unless you are looking for it you probably won't notice unless you look at one side then run around and look at the other. Also the vinyl slipped out of my hand and stuck to the tank and took a piece of paint off GRRRRR. I'm going to try and touch it up with a paint brush but I hate accidents like that!!! There was smoke coming out my ears for a while.

*Note - Now that i've gotten away from the project for a bit and taken a second look at the chip i think i can mask the stripes and  get a good blend with spray 

So here it is so far
( notice the paint chip right above the white stripe!!)

Other side

It looks ok from 5 feet lol. I just can't stop and let people look at it up close. :-)

I have tons of the vinyl so I may redo it at a later date but at this point I'll let it go

• Spokane WA
  • 87 K100

Offline Revrdmark

« Reply #81 on: April 13, 2017, 12:12:36 PM »
BTW I added up the costs of the bike purchase and parts minus the income from selling off unused and extra parts and so far I am in the black $345 on the project Woo hooo!

• Spokane WA
  • 87 K100

Offline Revrdmark

« Reply #82 on: May 08, 2017, 10:12:25 PM »
Took the bike around the block today for first test ride. I've got a few things to button up but it's about 80% done. Need to paint the fairing and front wheel fender, zip tie some wires to the frame and the fan is not coming on so need to trouble shoot that. Finally, get some grips and bar end mirrors and and make a bracket to hold the supertrapp exhaust then call it good.

• Spokane WA
  • 87 K100

Offline MaraudeRS

« Reply #83 on: May 09, 2017, 01:39:01 AM »
It looks fantastic. I love the seat and cowl.

• Monterey, CA
  • 1992 K100RS

Offline Boxermann

« Reply #84 on: May 10, 2017, 03:27:13 AM »
Looks great!
  • Norway
  • K100 / '87, K75 / '87

Offline Laitch

• Administrator
« Reply #85 on: May 10, 2017, 11:29:40 AM »
BTW I added up the costs of the bike purchase and parts minus the income from selling off unused and extra parts and so far I am in the black $345 on the project Woo hooo!
You made more money selling the parts than the bike and its modification parts cost you in the first place?
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles

Offline Revrdmark

« Reply #86 on: May 11, 2017, 12:09:03 AM »
You made more money selling the parts than the bike and its modification parts cost you in the first place?
So far yes. Although I'm about $215 in the black now had to buy a few parts since I posted up that total

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Spokane WA
  • 87 K100

Offline Laitch

• Administrator
« Reply #87 on: May 11, 2017, 12:21:58 AM »
So far yes.
That's pretty good, alright! :clap:
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles

Offline technostructural

« Reply #88 on: May 11, 2017, 05:40:59 AM »
Need to paint the fairing and front wheel fender, zip tie some wires to the frame and the fan is not coming on so need to trouble shoot that.

There is a lot written about this. The fans rarely come on, and it seems to vary between bikes without rhyme or reason. There is a way to jump a couple of connections in your fuse/relay box to do a test. If you search "radiator fan test", you should be able to find it.

Great work so far. Looks cool and tasteful.
  • Halifax, NS
  • 1989 K75 ("Schatz"), '81 Suzuki GS450T, 1974 Yamaha TX500

Offline Laitch

• Administrator
« Reply #89 on: May 11, 2017, 09:26:43 AM »
The fans rarely come on, and it seems to vary between bikes without rhyme or reason. T
The concept is simple and differs among bikes for logical, prosaic reasons. On a bike with an appropriate level of high-quality coolant in its system, the fan's activation depends upon the weather, traffic, coolant:distilled water ratio, and how hard the bike is being ridden. At approximately <217ºF coolant temperature, the fan doesn't run. At approximately ≥217ºF, it does run.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles

Offline The Mighty Gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #90 on: May 11, 2017, 10:17:21 AM »
Nekid bricks don't be holdin' no heat in like dem faired ones.
  • In my garage in Marilla, NY
  • '91K100RS White/Blue
Current:
'91 K100RS16V "Moby Brick Too"

Past:
'94 K75RT "Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS"
'92 K100RS16V "Moby Brick" (RIP, deceased in a vehicular assault)
'94 K75S Special Edition Dakar Yellow "Cheetos"
'89 K100RS Special Edition "Special Ed"

Offline Revrdmark

« Reply #91 on: May 11, 2017, 11:33:18 AM »
I was letting it idle in the driveway to double check connections and charging etc an it got HOT and boiled the water wetter in the cooling system ( I didn't have the expansion tank on at the time) and it was spitting boiling water out the overflow tube and the fan never kicked on. When it's moving and air is going over the engine it's ok.  I'll by pass the wires and make sure the fan actually functions and may just  put a switch on it depending on what I find out.

Also the charging system is a little suspect. I'm a little new to bricks ( this is my first one and learning curve is huge for me) at idle the voltage was about 12.5 at 2000 rpm its steady at 14. I assume that's normal??

• Spokane WA
  • 87 K100

Offline Filmcamera

« Reply #92 on: May 11, 2017, 11:46:35 AM »
The voltage seems fine, I just had my alternator fixed and that is exactly what it gives me now.

My fan also had issues coming on automatically so I installed a manual switch - living where I do I use it a lot!  There are very clear and easy to follow instructions on the site and even for someone as electrophobic as me it was quick and simple to do. I will probably get round to fixing the sensor so it works automatically as well one day but it is not a priority.

The bike looks great btw  :2thumbup:
  • San Jose, Costa Rica
  • 1991 K100RS 16v ABS1, 2018 Triumph Street Triple RS 765
Poserbricker

Offline Boxermann

« Reply #93 on: May 11, 2017, 01:19:50 PM »

An alternative solution for the fan could be to buy a 2$ thermostat switch on eBay, set it to 103° Celsius and connect it to the fan (and ground..), then drill a hole for the temp sensor in the blanking plug on the water/oil pump and glue it in place with epoxy.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/50-110-C-W1209-Digital-thermostat-Temperature-Control-Switch-12V-sensor-/252062159071
  • Norway
  • K100 / '87, K75 / '87

Offline Laitch

• Administrator
« Reply #94 on: May 11, 2017, 01:34:19 PM »

I was letting it idle in the driveway to double check connections and charging etc an it got HOT and boiled the water wetter in the cooling system ( I didn't have the expansion tank on at the time) and it was spitting boiling water out the overflow tube and the fan never kicked on.
Also the charging system is a little suspect. I'm a little new to bricks ( this is my first one and learning curve is huge for me) at idle the voltage was about 12.5 at 2000 rpm its steady at 14. I assume that's normal??
It looks like a new Spal fan might drop your in-the-black figure a little more, Rev. It'll be a good investment though.

Concerning the coolant spitting:
Was the overheat light on during the spitting?
Could the blades of the fan be rotated with little effort the engine was when off?
Was the coolant fresh? An expansion tank is necessary with this system.

Concerning assumption of the battery's condition:
14V is good output, but why assume anything? There is plenty of is plenty of substantiated data available on appropriate voltage. Here is some.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles

Offline Revrdmark

« Reply #95 on: May 27, 2017, 11:44:49 PM »
Took the brick on a real maiden voyage today ( about 30 min ride) while moving it ran like a champ!  But again after the ride and letting it idle at about 1K rpm for 5-7 minutes it got hot and popped the rubber top off of the stock expansion tank and the fan never turned on. Also the battery was drained. I stopped while on the ride to get fuel and battery had plenty of umph after riding it at speed for 15-20 minutes. I replaced the stock gauges with a little Acewell computer so I don't have a temp light. The expansion tank did have some sludge in it so I'll do a good garden hose flush and hook the fan up to a battery directly just to make sure it functions at all. After I get that data depending on what I find I may just replace the thermostat with an after market auto parts one and wire up a the fan outside the wiring harness. Or maybe put it on a switch. The battery is a little troublesome. I'm thinking I may have an open circuit somewhere pulling power that I don't know about. BTW have I mentioned I HATE MOTORCYCLE WIRING!! Other than that I am very happy with how it has turned out thus far!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Spokane WA
  • 87 K100

Offline duckytran

« Reply #96 on: July 11, 2017, 10:20:12 AM »
Any update Mark? I'd love to see some pics of the finished bike.
  • Austin, Texas
  • 1993 K75, 1981 R65

Offline Revrdmark

« Reply #97 on: July 11, 2017, 01:06:33 PM »
Any update Mark? I'd love to see some pics of the finished bike.

I finally got around to trouble shooting the fan. Good news bad news good news.  Since I was going to pull the radiator I hooked up the garden hose and did a good radiator flush. I pulled the radiator  and alligator clipped the wires from the fan to the battery and Shazam it turned on. Good news. I then looked at my wiring manual and sure enough I was right. When I removed the instrument cluster I removed the circuit that regulates the fan. Bad news. BUT I had a little handle bar mounted switch that was in a box of old parts and wired it up to the fan to manually turn it on.  Started it up opened the "choke" to let it rev high and it didn't over heat or spray boiling coolant everywhere. My battery is still suspect I think it might just be  I need a new one. I depleted  it several times while doing wiring projects checking this and that and I think it might just be done. I'll put it on battery tender and get a green light after 10 mins or so but I get about two tries at cranking it before it's too low.  But it runs ok and seems to charge when it's out and about. Just one more thing ... 

I just moved into a new house this month and the only thing I hate more than German wiring is packing and moving!  My garage is full of boxes so work is a little slow these last few yards to the goal line. AND I was going to put my Speed Triple up for sale and the Sprag Clutch went out on it (pretty common on speed triples it should have been a recall ... but don't get me going!) literally the day I put it up.  So waiting on parts time and garage space to fix it. Other than that life is good!

• Spokane WA
  • 87 K100

Offline duckytran

« Reply #98 on: July 11, 2017, 04:41:18 PM »
Hardly used and less than 1 yr old. Make an offer!
  • Austin, Texas
  • 1993 K75, 1981 R65

Offline Revrdmark

« Reply #99 on: July 21, 2017, 11:31:59 PM »
So took the brick out on a real maiden voyage tonight about a 30 mile ride.  Ran like a champ. Still a few fine tuning to do. Need to clean up the exhaust a little think I will do a high mount.  Need to put a resistor in the turn signal wires.  But other than that the brick ran like a champ. I stopped on the way to a little town South of Spokane called Rockford at a little chapel out in the Palouse to take a few pics

• Spokane WA
  • 87 K100

Tags: