Author Topic: 1987 K100 cafe or something build  (Read 50776 times)

Offline Revrdmark

• ^ Proficient Motobricker
Re: 1987 K100 cafe or something build
« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2016, 03:55:19 PM »
One switch is ignition, the other for lights so no drain during starting,

In my younger "more testosterone than brains" days. We had a light kill switch so if someone was looking for you or chasing you could kill the lights and duck down a side street... I mean acquaintances of mine installed them ... ::: avoiding direct eye contact:::  :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Spokane WA
  • 87 K100

Offline TrueAce

• ^ SuperNatural Motobricker
« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2016, 10:35:19 PM »
Somehow, I figured you would know why I wired it that way........not just to eliminate the load shed relay. Do you have NV Google's ,too?
  • Florida
  • '85 K100GS, '85 K100RSSC,', '94 K1100RS,'10 S1000rr,'14 Ural Sidecar, '15 R Nine T

Offline Revrdmark

« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2016, 12:10:17 PM »
No NV goggles just questions of how I lived to be 48 and glad I'm not young and stupid still. :-)

• Spokane WA
  • 87 K100

Offline Revrdmark

« Reply #28 on: August 24, 2016, 01:47:00 PM »
Ordered the Ducati gt1000 tail section today. It's two weeks out. Have to wait  to relocate the battery and ECU till it comes. I can do a few odds and ends till it comes.

• Spokane WA
  • 87 K100

Offline TrueAce

• ^ SuperNatural Motobricker
« Reply #29 on: August 24, 2016, 03:23:52 PM »
I find the NV Google's distort my night vision depth perception at anything over 90.
  • Florida
  • '85 K100GS, '85 K100RSSC,', '94 K1100RS,'10 S1000rr,'14 Ural Sidecar, '15 R Nine T

Offline Revrdmark

« Reply #30 on: August 24, 2016, 03:28:47 PM »
I found that driving at night w/o lights at anything over 90 distorts my bones when i hit the pavement :-)

• Spokane WA
  • 87 K100

Offline Revrdmark

1987 K100 cafe or something build
« Reply #31 on: August 26, 2016, 12:32:49 AM »
Ok back on topic from my mis-spent youth... So the speedometer/bike computer arrived today. It's just an odometer speedometer and tach. I'll use the reed sensor for speedo and connect the tach to the #1 plug. I'm going to try and fabricate a simple bracket with three LED lights for the turn signals and oil light. I'll see if I can fit the key on it too but I'm not too hopeful, there is not much room for it. I think I'll look at some of the great suggestions you guys gave me for relocating the key. I'd love to have the neutral light but I'm not sure I'm up for the work involved to make it work. The clutch switch seems to be working fine I've started it several times so far.

I have a question about lubing  the shaft splines...I understand that the hallow shift will pull the lube up and away from the end that needs lube would thicker grease like bearing grease I've  used on automotive bearings keep that at bay? I've also heard that making a "plug" out of exterior silicon caulk works. Any thoughts?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Spokane WA
  • 87 K100

Offline duckytran

« Reply #32 on: August 30, 2016, 11:39:56 AM »
Here's where I relocated my starter key:
  • Austin, Texas
  • 1993 K75, 1981 R65

Offline duckytran

« Reply #33 on: August 30, 2016, 12:24:30 PM »
Here's a pic of the Acewell 3962 setup:
  • Austin, Texas
  • 1993 K75, 1981 R65

Offline Revrdmark

« Reply #34 on: September 08, 2016, 12:51:21 AM »
So latest up date. I've actually done what feels like a lot of work but it's been wiring and bolt turning so after all that work the bike still looks pretty much the same as it did before! I swapped the front forks from the dead bike to the keeper and increased the HP by at least 25 by putting gaters on the forks :-)

I also swapped the wheels cause one bike had literally brand new tires on it. (And I'm cheap) The previous owner took a nail in the front tire on the last trip he took on it and put them on so he could get home. They are cheap Shinkos but I'm not worried about high performance on this bike. I had some spare clubman bars that I put on but without putting risers on the triple tree I had tank clearance issues so I took them off again. I have a fairing that I'm going to put on that the lines lined up perfect with the clubman bars... But oh well. It sits too high with the bars I had on it so ordered a straight drag bar but now I'll need to fabricate a new lower bracket for it when the bars get here. Any job worth doing is worth doing twice right?! I'm kind of tired of making brackets to hold stuff so I think I will mount the key in the air box. I need to go to a hardware store and get some pipe that will fit the key cylinder. Shortened up the choke and clutch cables and soldered new ends on them as well

A big brown truck delivered the GT100 tail today! So I'll fight the urge to start mounting that till after I get the mechanical stuff done :-(.  And finally cleaned up all the wiring I've done and cut out from removing the non-working ABS stuff.

• Spokane WA
  • 87 K100

Offline Revrdmark

« Reply #35 on: September 09, 2016, 08:22:55 PM »
I've set a goal of spending an hour or so on the bike each night so I don't make my wife a bike widow or my kids bike orphans :-) so tonight my project was to fab up yet another bracket. This was for the acewell bike computer. So had some left over sheet metal that I cut up, bent it up drilled a few holes and bolted it on. Need to trim up a few sharp edges and shape it a little then add a few coats of paint. I'm waiting on some LED light I'll drill holes and mount on it for turn signal lights and a red oil light. But this is it so far.

• Spokane WA
  • 87 K100

Offline Revrdmark

« Reply #36 on: September 15, 2016, 09:24:18 PM »
Part truck came today YAY!  Got the straight drag bars and fabricated my third fairing bracket ( Well 2.5 I modified the last one I built) so I just need to install the LED lights on the speedo bracket and reinstall the radiator. Then I can tackle the next big project - cutting the tail shortening it re-welding the stock loop back and angling  it  up slightly to line up with the tail section. Here is a quickie mock up of it so far. Sorry for the bad picture. That's as far away and best angle I could get in my tiny shop.

• Spokane WA
  • 87 K100

Offline duckytran

« Reply #37 on: September 15, 2016, 09:45:02 PM »
Mark,

Check out this K100RS from this blog site. It has a similar look to yours.

https://rocket-garage.blogspot.com/2016/09/kappa-cafe-tracker.html

• Austin, Texas
  • 1993 K75, 1981 R65

Offline Revrdmark

« Reply #38 on: September 17, 2016, 12:58:35 AM »
So I'd really like to have a neutral light  and i've read the  thread and seen the diagram for the three relay switch method or making the light function. I pretty much understand how the wiring works. I think i have located the three GPI wires coming out of the transmission under the battery tray, and understand the wiring that links the relays together, what i don't understand is the power supply from the switch. Are there two power wires coming from the key switch that go to 30 and 86?  What does the "yes" under the switch mean?  Any help  figuring out those wires would  be appreciated.

• Spokane WA
  • 87 K100

Offline rbm

• ^ Quintessential Motobricker
« Reply #39 on: September 17, 2016, 08:55:58 AM »
You need a single source of switched +12V for this circuit (it's recommended to use the Green/Black wire from Pin 6 on the OEM cluster for this purpose).  You short Pin 86 and 30 together on Relay #1 and join up the Green/Black.  No need for two wires.  One can only guess as to what the "Yes" means in the diagram.
  • Regards, Robert
Toronto, Ontario

1987 K75 - Build Blog @http://k75retro.blogspot.ca/

Offline psykologik

• Curious
« Reply #40 on: September 26, 2016, 08:27:56 AM »
This is coming along beautifully. Very close to the vibe I'd like to capture in the build I'm planning to do once I find the right donor(s). Using the Ducati tail section is sheer brilliance!

Offline Revrdmark

« Reply #41 on: September 27, 2016, 01:30:08 AM »
 Thanks psykologik it was a coin flip whether to knock the 80's off the brick and go more retro or go more street fighter modern.  So far I'm happy with how it's turning out.

So latest victories include: 1) got a neutral light via the three switch diagram above. Just need to solder the wires and and find a place to tuck the switches away. 2) built a little bracket to hold the speedometer  reed sensor and got it mounted up.  3) mounted up the tachometer reading wire buy wrapping it around spark plug wire. 4) and got the oil pressure light wired up.

Next project is to mount the ignition key in the air box. Went to the hardware store and found a couple PVC pipe pieces that will serve as a chamber for the cylinder.

I'm looking for a good spot to mount my turn signals. On my speed triple they are mounted on a little trim piece that attaches to the end of the radiator. I'm toying with the idea of making a simple flat trim piece to bolt onto  the end of the radiator to mount the signals. Just an idea  at this point unless I find something cleaner and simpler. I'll post up some pictures of progress soon

• Spokane WA
  • 87 K100

Offline Revrdmark

« Reply #42 on: September 27, 2016, 11:21:57 AM »
So I'm using a very basic Acewell ace-1500 speedo/tach it has a fuel gauge that I originally wasn't planning on using since I use my trip gauge mostly as a fuel gauge. But when the dash is energized the little fuel icon and bar graph are turned on. I was hoping that if the blue wire was not connected it would just not show anything :-/.  I've seen the posts about reversing the swing arms on the sender in the tank which now that I have been elbow deep in wiring harness for a couple months I'm feeling a little more confident (thanks to you all  here) I feel like I might tackle, so my question is, is the blue wire from the dash a negative like the oil light? I haven't taken the sender out of the tank yet but was just thinking I might get a clue as to what wire it connects to from the tank. There are 4 wires that come from the tank. 2 I assume energize the fuel pump and the other two I assume are the gauge. So do I connect the blue to negative or positive? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks yoose guys!

• Spokane WA
  • 87 K100

Offline Martin

« Reply #43 on: September 27, 2016, 03:26:46 PM »
Bar end indicators, or mirrors with built in indicators. Both available on Ebay.
Regards Martin
  • North Lakes Queensland Australia
  • 1992 K75s Hybrid, Lefaux, Vespa V twin.

Offline Revrdmark

« Reply #44 on: October 01, 2016, 10:32:29 AM »
I was hoping to get the wiring all buttoned up today and close that chapter of my life. No such luck. Got my 3 switch Frankenstein contraption for the neutral light ready to install and one switch was not working after it worked last weekend. Scratched my head then switched the wires with one or the two working ones and "click" One of my wires coming from the Gear Position Indicator Switch is dead. So I'll be laying on my back trying to pull that off and get it live again today then plug everything back together.

• Spokane WA
  • 87 K100

Offline Revrdmark

« Reply #45 on: October 02, 2016, 12:00:48 AM »
So that was a PITA!!!  Took the rear wheel off the drive shaft and housing off just to get to the GPI. Took it off pulled off the cap and sure enough one of springs behind the pins had broken. So lucky for me I have a donor bike  so took the wheel and shaft housing off a second time. Pulled the other GPI  off and it works fine installed it on the project bike. Reinstalled shaft and housing (after a trip to auto part store for moly lube) soldered up the switches hooked up battery turned the key put it in neutral and SHAZAAM!!! little green light on my home made dash lit! That was a hell of a lot of work for a little green LED to tell me I'm not in gear.!

• Spokane WA
  • 87 K100

Offline Martin

« Reply #46 on: October 02, 2016, 12:16:10 AM »
Probably a bit late but the switch is subject to a lot of road crap. I coated mine in Plasti Dip and has worked fine for about 16 years.
Regards Martin.
  • North Lakes Queensland Australia
  • 1992 K75s Hybrid, Lefaux, Vespa V twin.

Offline Laitch

• Faster than a speeding pullet
  • Administrator
« Reply #47 on: October 02, 2016, 12:21:32 AM »
I coated mine in Plasti Dip and has worked fine for about 16 years.
I've coated mine in road crap, Martin. It's the homeopathic treatment.
  • Along the Ridley in Vermont.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles
I wept because I had no radials until I met a man who had no splines.

Offline Revrdmark

« Reply #48 on: October 03, 2016, 12:14:18 AM »
Yay! I'm finally seeing the light of the endless rewire a BMW tunnel! Got the speedo/tach wired up, got the oil light wired, got the neutral light working and got turn signals working. Headlight is a simple plug in affair ( but I'm sure I just jinxed it by saying that out loud)   Fabricating little brackets to hold turn signals and wiring up tail light and electronics are done woooooo hooooo! Here is a pic of the Acewell computer and LED lights I've hooked up.

• Spokane WA
  • 87 K100

Offline Laitch

• Faster than a speeding pullet
  • Administrator
« Reply #49 on: October 03, 2016, 08:49:22 AM »
Nice going, Revrdmark! Thanks, too, for providing another example of a well-illustrated and documented project.
  • Along the Ridley in Vermont.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles
I wept because I had no radials until I met a man who had no splines.

Tags: