Author Topic: My k75 cafe fighter thing  (Read 5138 times)

Offline sooprvylyn

• ^ Motobrick Curious
My k75 cafe fighter thing
« on: April 17, 2018, 12:44:12 AM »
  • Austin TX
  • '93 k1100rs last 7 of vin-6495569
Basic bitches ride Rs

Offline sooprvylyn

• ^ Motobrick Curious
Re: My k75 cafe fighter thing
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2018, 12:46:05 AM »
Took me a sec to figure out how to even start a post, finally got it to work.  No idea how to get photos into the body of the post.

Anyway, that's my 87 k75c that I have been working on.  Still gotta swap out hand controls but it's getting there.
  • Austin TX
Basic bitches ride Rs

Offline Laitch

• Faster than a speeding pullet
  • Administrator
  • ^ Quintessential Motobricker
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2018, 12:50:14 AM »
  • Along the Ridley in Vermont.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles
I wept because I had no radials until I met a man who had no splines.
https://tinyurl.com/RillRider

Offline sooprvylyn

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2018, 12:57:10 AM »
Seems a lot of work to post a pic....and for some reason having lot of trouble on mobile.  Won't let me upload any images, always get an error.message.  ah well.
  • Austin TX
Basic bitches ride Rs

Offline johnny

• TrailBrakingThrottleWhacker
  • Whacking...n...Chopping Sliding...n...High Siding
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2018, 06:45:37 AM »
greetings...

that is one of the best looking customs i have seen...

there are thousands of photos attached to posts and uploaded to posts here..

please describe what seems to be a lot of work to post a pic...

need your input... wanna make it easy for you...

i attached this pic from my phone in less than 10 seconds...

* H3xp94v_d.jpg (44.27 kB . 640x480 - viewed 569 times)

j o
  • :johnny i parks my 96 eleven hundert rs motobrick in dodge county cheezconsin  :johnny

Offline duckytran

• ^ Proficient Motobricker
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2018, 09:27:52 AM »
Nice build. Like the fact that you kept the radiator shroud and the belly pan fender. Is a speedo in the work too?
  • Austin, Texas
  • 1993 K75, 1981 R65

Offline sooprvylyn

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2018, 11:18:04 AM »
Hey Johnny...when I tried to upload images directly to start the post I was getting image too big messages...same when I pasted the imgur link without using the link button.

When I tried to put images into my gallery as explained in the link above I was unable to select a category so it wouldn't let me continue. I tried every which way possible Le before getting fed up and just posting the imgur link.

Might be easier from a desktop but that would mean transferring photos to my desktop to upload and just seems clunky. Not sure what I'm doing wrong as I don't have trouble in other forums or SOC media sites.
  • Austin TX
Basic bitches ride Rs

Offline johnny

• TrailBrakingThrottleWhacker
  • Whacking...n...Chopping Sliding...n...High Siding
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2018, 11:38:54 AM »

dont know... less than 2 minutes on samsung note...

whack aint it...

j o
  • :johnny i parks my 96 eleven hundert rs motobrick in dodge county cheezconsin  :johnny

Offline sooprvylyn

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2018, 11:39:24 AM »
Ducky....

Yeah dude I have essentially broken my build down into 3 stages. Mostly cuz it's my daily driver and I had to keep it an rolling restore.  My bike has only been out of commission for 5 days during the entire process, everything has been planned to keep her on the road.

The first stage was powder coating so I did a bunch of wrenching and replacingrbearings, rubber bits, hoses and lubing stuff and all that fun maintentance/deep clean while parts were at the powdercoaters.

Stage 2 was body and paint...this took a while.  I had to teach myself welding and fiberglassing to do the back end work I wanted to do.  I actually built a subframe about 2 years ago and was riding it with a Ducati monster pad I had fashioned to fit on the subframe for about 2 years. I  had purchased a k100 tank on eBay to replace my dented original tank(from my 2 early drops on this, my first bike).   My original plan was to strip and polish the aluminum tank and do a minimal cafe build. But when I got the tank in and saw the oem pearl white paint was pristine I couldn't bring myself to do it, I had to change my plan to keep that pretty paint.

Once I got the powdercoating done it was time to tackle the real for real fiberglassing for that tail section.  It took me about 2 months to get the seat shaped and glassed, reshape the radiator shroud for the k100 lines, fix some minor body work.on the engine spoiler and then off to the painter.  He did a decent job matching as I was able to track down a few pearl white paint codes.

This brings be up to today.  Now I have the 3rd stage of my build left to do.....electric, guages, hand controls.  This is the stage I've been dreading the most as I feared this is the stage that will put my bike down for a few weeks while.i sort everything out.  I'll probably hold off for the season though so I can ride for a bit. 

I'm probably gonna do an m-unit conversion and I already have levers, new master cylinder and switches.  Still gotta get a new brake line, cables, guages, idiot lights(none now, yeah so...) And of course wires to build out the new loom...oh and design a new bracket that mounts into the old handbar area on the top tree to hold all the lights and speedo and guages.  I have the schematic for the m-unit from.the k100 forums so I'm studying it now.....

Anyway, visually.its about 95% done here, technically I still have 1/3 of the job left to do, it's all just hidden under the pretty stuff.  She rides as well.as she ever has, about 40k miles on her.  I just have to stay right in top of the cooling system.and oil every ride to make sure all is in order...till I at least get idiot.lights, though I think I'm gonna end up w guages instead.
  • Austin TX
Basic bitches ride Rs

Offline sooprvylyn

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2018, 01:36:10 PM »
Why cant I post images....aaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhrrrrrrrrrrrrggggggggg

I managed to upload some to my gallery, where the heck do I select images from my gallery?

THe attach thing below doesnt appear to actually attach anything.

Wait....did I just do it?  Super clunky...I had to go to imgur, open image in new link, copy that, then come hit the insert image button and past the link....and it didnt work until I started typing first.....I cant seem to figure out how to pull images from my gallery..  Is tehre an easier way to do this....I also had to get on a desktop to do it.

• Austin TX
Basic bitches ride Rs

Offline Eccl.12vs13

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2018, 10:26:39 AM »
I really like how your seat turned out. What type of foam did you use to form the pattern? Thanks.
  • Rockford, IL.
  • 1985 Yamaha RZ 350, 1985 BMW K100, 1993 Honda CBR 900, 1999 Yamaha 650 VStar, 2002 Honda RC51
"Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man." Eccl. 12 vs 13

Offline sooprvylyn

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2018, 12:41:20 PM »
It was actually spray insulation foam, loctite brand.

I actually used the OEM seat hooks and latch so the seat goes on and off the same way it always has.  Due to the hooks and the angle of the sidewalls of the seat's baseplate I couldnt use foam sheets, the wouldnt have laid flat.  The spray foam worked pretty well and was easy to carve with an electric knife, a rasp and an orbital sander.  It also made it easy to fill areas back in if I made a mistake.

The only issue with spray foam is that it does tend to get a fair number of bubbles..  The loctite stuff is designed to have smaller bubbles so that helps, but you still end up carving into the occasional cavity that you have to fill in and recarve.

After that I used plaster of paris to get a nice smooth surface to fiberglass. Once the top was glassed I pulled everything apart and got rid of teh foam and plaster inside before joining the top to the baseplace....then came hours of surface finishing and evening everything up.

Very happy my first real fiberglass attempt almost looks factory made...it was a lot of work.
  • Austin TX
Basic bitches ride Rs

Tags: