Author Topic: USD fork swap  (Read 30626 times)

Offline gsxrpig

• ^ Motobrick Curious
Re: USD fork swap
« Reply #25 on: October 03, 2016, 08:56:01 PM »
RBM
If I pull power from the Green/Black vacant wire in the "connection for special Equipment"  in my wiring diagram the tail light comes on with the ignition all the way on.  Brake light works as normal..
But in park the tail light comes on but still if I depress the brake it will go off.
So I got something wrong.
  • Queensland, Australia
  • 90 k100LT

Offline rbm

• ^ Quintessential Motobricker
« Reply #26 on: October 04, 2016, 06:42:21 PM »
I tried to decipher your textual description of how you connected wires but I'm unable to make heads or tails of it since I don't have Suzuki wiring charts corresponding to your selected hand controls.  Sorry, but without a schematic of how you've tried to hook this up, I'm lost.
  • Regards, Robert
Toronto, Ontario

1987 K75 - Build Blog @http://k75retro.blogspot.ca/

Offline gsxrpig

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #27 on: October 04, 2016, 06:49:55 PM »
RBM
That makes two of us.
I do not have a color coded wiring diagram or even a labeled diagram for the suzuki.
I will draw something up if it helps.   
I think I have them pretty close.
I am onto the Instrument panel.
The speedo is fed directly from the GSXR wheel so it will work.
SO i have to hook up----
Tacho
Left and Right indicator lights.
Oil light.
High beam light.
Neutral light.
Dash lights for Tacho and speedo
Also a Temperature gauge.
I have an aftermarket gear indicator coming also.
Any help in this area would be helpful.  The other functions from the standard gauge I do not want to use IF possible.
Thanks RBM.
  • Queensland, Australia
  • 90 k100LT

Offline gsxrpig

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #28 on: October 04, 2016, 06:57:26 PM »
RBM
On this bit
1. connect the Blue/Red and Blue/Black wires from the old flasher to the indicator switch in the left hand controls
2. connect the Green/Black wire from the old flasher to the new 2-pin flasher
3. run a new wire from the 2-pin flasher to the indicator switch in the left hand controls

Step 2 ...I don't have a Green Black on my flasher??  Did you mean Green Brown which will feed from Fuse 3    ,,by any chance?
Indicators working perfectly with new led flasher 2 pin.
Dragged the power off green Brown.
Switchblocks done at this stage
Instrument advice would be great.  Although I will attack in the meantime..  :popcorm
  • Queensland, Australia
  • 90 k100LT

Offline gsxrpig

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #29 on: October 06, 2016, 10:17:11 PM »
Ok,
So got most of the instruments done.
I have pulled the Gear positioning sensor from the stock gauges and am going to relocate to the fuse box.
From what I have read.
On the circuit board numbers.
pin 31 is ground and will hook to wire 13 Brown in the harness.
pin Leerl is 12v to illuminate the Netral which will connect to wire 5 Black Green to start button.
Pin C is to wire 2 Yellow White
Pin B is to wire 3 Yellow Black
Pin A is wire 4 Yellow Blue
Pin 15 is 12v to wire 6 Green Black which should take me to fused power.
Can anyone see a problem or confirm I am heading in the right direction with this??
Please and Thanks for any reply.
BRM if you are out there, would your circuit board work to replace this?  happy to buy one off you.
The build is still a long way from finished, but I want to get the bike started then I can strip and move onto paint.

• Queensland, Australia
  • 90 k100LT

Offline rbm

« Reply #30 on: October 07, 2016, 07:34:46 PM »
Ok,
So got most of the instruments done.
I have pulled the Gear positioning sensor from the stock gauges and am going to relocate to the fuse box.
From what I have read.
On the circuit board numbers.
pin 31 is ground and will hook to wire 13 Brown in the harness.
pin Leerl is 12v to illuminate the Netral which will connect to wire 5 Black Green to start button.
Pin C is to wire 2 Yellow White
Pin B is to wire 3 Yellow Black
Pin A is wire 4 Yellow Blue
Pin 15 is 12v to wire 6 Green Black which should take me to fused power.
Can anyone see a problem or confirm I am heading in the right direction with this??
Please and Thanks for any reply.
BRM if you are out there, would your circuit board work to replace this?  happy to buy one off you.
The build is still a long way from finished, but I want to get the bike started then I can strip and move onto paint.

I think you have everything right but I can't be 100% sure because don't have a schematic for it.  There is a picture of one online and it looks like there is some CMOS logic on-board as well as some pwer circuitry.  The only thing I'd caution is to make sure the Leer output is somehow connected to an on-board power transistor so that you have reasonable assurance that it is the correct pin to use.  You don't want to toast the board.  Test the output first using a voltmeter to see that it responds as you expect.  Trace the circuit to make sure pin 15 goes to pwer pins on the CMOS and pin 31 goes to ground pins.
  • Regards, Robert
Toronto, Ontario

Offline gsxrpig

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #31 on: October 14, 2016, 02:25:16 AM »
Work has kept me off the project.
Back to it yesterday.
I am getting the fuel pump to prime.
and the starter relay will click BUT the starter will not fire.
Brand new battery, tried a couple of batteries as well.
Getting 12 Volt.
Currently I have the green 12v feed wire to one side of the gsxr kill switch.  The Green yellow is on the ON side of the kill switch and feeds 12V to the starter button...Which feeds the Black and yellow wire to starter relay etc
For this reason I have left the Black and green wire not connected.
Any ideas where to look.
I have pulled the starter and bench tested.
Tried numerous batteries.
I hooked up the gear positioning circuit and it was the same.
Tried to wiring the 2 clutch sensor wires together as well.
Always the same.
I disconnected the gear positioning sensor also.
If i am not using the black green feed wire on the switch from the clutch switch and Gear indicator to give me 12V to the start switch..I would presume this circuit is eliminated anyway??
As always anyone with any ideas where to head would be great.
Mind hurting stuff this is for me..
  • Queensland, Australia
  • 90 k100LT

Offline Inge K.

« Reply #32 on: October 14, 2016, 07:16:54 AM »
Bad ground connection engine/gearbox/battery?
Try a jump cable between one of the starter mounting bolts and the battery negative post.
Do you have 12V+ at the starter relay output (or starter input) when the relay clicks?
  • Norway

Offline gsxrpig

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #33 on: October 14, 2016, 08:14:07 PM »
Inge K
Does that wiring sound right, and that should eliminate the Gear sensor and clutch switch as I have not hooked up the 12V feed wire.
Thanks for the reply.  Sorry for the delay, time difference gets me everytime.
I did clean the contacts on the starter and block.
I have been chasing my tail everywhere.
I have tried shorting the starter relay terminal across the terminals and still nothing.
I have tried disconnecting the battery and hooking directly to the starter motor...nothing.
Just now I have taken the starter motor off the bike and hooked the battery up.
I am now getting a constant 12Volts to the starter motor wire with the ignition on even WITHOUT pushing the start button.
Of coarse the relay is reading the same at both points.. :popcorm
So something is terribly wrong..relay??  It is not constantly clicking but may be stuck or corroded???  That has me puzzled for the moment
I would be excited but the test hooking the starter motor up to direct power should have given me cranking.
I have pulled the sprag clutch out for repairs...so maybe I have missed something mechanically as well.
I have put the bike in gear and the motor is not seized...I will continue searching.
Hopefully we are getting closer.
Please continue with your ideas...I am open to suggestions and will try anything suggested.
Cheers people
  • Queensland, Australia
  • 90 k100LT

Offline Inge K.

« Reply #34 on: October 14, 2016, 09:03:47 PM »
I have tried disconnecting the battery and hooking directly to the starter motor...nothing.
Just now I have taken the starter motor off the bike and hooked the battery up.

If the starter don't turn when it's out of the bike, then it's a problem with the starter.

If the starter turns when it's out of the bike, but not when its mounted on the bike and directly wired
to a battery ......it most probably a problem with the starter mechanism inside the intermediate flange.

I am now getting a constant 12Volts to the starter motor wire with the ignition on even WITHOUT pushing the start button.
Of coarse the relay is reading the same at both points.. :popcorm

Then the starter relay have welded together its contacts, usually caused by to much voltage drop when
turning the starter. (this if you have 12V to the starter with ignition both on and off).
Not an unusual problem, try to give the starter relay a gently knock with a screwdriver handle.
You find a lot of info about this on the forum....what to do and not.
  • Norway

Offline gsxrpig

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #35 on: October 16, 2016, 09:03:02 PM »
Very very strange.
We have cranking :clap:  Thank the lord I was loosing my mind.
Went through everything I could think of on Saturday and still no luck.

Spat the dummy and left it till this morning.
Next thing today she is cranking like nothing was ever wrong.
The bike had been sitting for many many years with a faulty sprag.
Saturday I sprayed a heap of wd-40 down the barrels and put
 it in 5th and pushed it round and round and round and round the carpark...
Tried it again and same thing...nothing. So walked away to ponder.
Today I just rocked the rear wheel back and forth without the starter motor on.
Then put the starter back in and she cranked as you would expect.  I had actually resigned myself to tear it down again and see if I had done something wrong on the sprag clutch rebuild..
So now to put the tank on and she if the old girl will start.
Then hopefully it goes and tidy up the wiring and strip it back for painting.
Thanks for the help along the way....But I predict I may be back soon..
  • Queensland, Australia
  • 90 k100LT

Offline The Mighty Gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #36 on: October 16, 2016, 09:09:02 PM »
Take some of the oil out and replace it with the contents of a can of SeaFoam engine and fuel system cleaner.  When the engine starts, take it out for a 20 minute ride and then do an oil and filter change.  I did this with a sticky sprag in a K100RS with over 110,000 miles on it and haven't had one starter problem in the 4,000 miles since.
  • In my garage in Marilla, NY
  • '91K100RS White/Blue
Current:
'91 K100RS16V "Moby Brick Too"

Past:
'94 K75RT "Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS"
'92 K100RS16V "Moby Brick" (RIP, deceased in a vehicular assault)
'94 K75S Special Edition Dakar Yellow "Cheetos"
'89 K100RS Special Edition "Special Ed"

Offline gsxrpig

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #37 on: October 28, 2016, 12:46:41 AM »
Well not much happening here...still waiting on my injectors to return from getting cleaned.
Tidying up my wiring.
I have eliminated the gear position and clutch circuit. So have 12V source direct to the Lhand switchblock.  The Green/Black is not connected.  Nor the return Black green.  And I have my three yellow wires and Earth off the Gear sensor all put aside at this point.
I have decided to live without the gear indicator as I have never had one on any of my bikes.
I would however like a neutral light on my dash.
Being a Gsxr standard instrument panel I have the light there so
1.  Do I need to build the 3 relay circuit and just hook up to the neutral light??
below is a schematic as in a lot of posts...I think this is Inge K 's work...to credit him.
2.  I have a Temperature gauge in the gsxr panel is all that is left up to wire...
I have my doubts this is even possible to get working as the Bmw sensor is for a bulb only????
Any hints on these 2 points and hopefully I can put the wiring to rest in the next few days.
Cheers in advance
  • Queensland, Australia
  • 90 k100LT

Offline rbm

« Reply #38 on: October 28, 2016, 07:29:52 AM »
1. Yes, you will need to build the relay circuit to get your neutral indicator to work.  The circuit you published above is for an Active HIGH indicator, meaning you apply +12V to the indicator to make it light up.  Is that the case for the GSXR panel?  If so, great.  If not, then you'll need a fourth relay to invert the neutral signal.

2. There is nothing stopping you from finding a thermistor that is compatible with the GSXR gauge and inserting that thermistor in place of the water drain plug in the water/oil pump, so long as the thread match as well as the electrical characteristics.  That will give you water temperature indication.  If you are looking for oil temperature indication, replace the drain plug in the oil pan with a thread compatible sensor.
  • Regards, Robert
Toronto, Ontario

Offline gsxrpig

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #39 on: October 28, 2016, 07:20:54 PM »
RBM.
Thanks again for the reply.
I have been struggling to find time on the bike.  Hopefully my injectors are close to finished.
The Gsxr looks to have 12v and the light is triggered with ground???
So 4th relay it is.
That is the info I am after for the temp gauge I will start looking into it further.
On a positive I am getting close to done on the wiring.  I will get it going then I have a final strip and paint to follow.
I will post my results with the wiring ,,thanks again
  • Queensland, Australia
  • 90 k100LT

Offline gsxrpig

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #40 on: November 03, 2016, 01:16:36 AM »
Bad news.
Injector guy rang and said the injectors are very clogged and not firing electrically as they should as though they are faulty????
Like I have said i have never heard the bike go and the previous owner just parked it with fuel in the tank for many years.
SO
had to purchase some recoed injectors.  So more down time.
Am trying to source the temp sensor to fit into the water pump drain as suggested by RBM.   just struggling to find the electrical specs from the 93 Gsxr gauge.
May have to start stripping it down for paint and deal with mechanical when I am done.... :nono
  • Queensland, Australia
  • 90 k100LT

Offline Martin

« Reply #41 on: November 03, 2016, 02:49:52 AM »
See if the GSXR one will fit with suitable adapters.
Regards Martin.
  • North Lakes Queensland Australia
  • 1992 K75s Hybrid, Lefaux, Vespa V twin.

Offline gsxrpig

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #42 on: November 03, 2016, 02:54:32 AM »
Martin...I sold the rest of my gsxr to fund this project... :musicboohoo:
I have a mate who has one out of a later model that we are going to try.
Different part numbers and mine is a normal gauge, the later model is digital.
  • Queensland, Australia
  • 90 k100LT

Offline Martin

« Reply #43 on: November 03, 2016, 03:36:08 AM »
Try the wreckers at Slacks Creek if you are in Brisbane.
Regards Martin.
  • North Lakes Queensland Australia
  • 1992 K75s Hybrid, Lefaux, Vespa V twin.

Offline gsxrpig

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #44 on: November 04, 2016, 08:32:36 PM »
Okay.
had a blank space in my gsxr dash that i could fit the bulb for the charging system.  12v ignition feed and hooked to blue feed wire from alternator so it is sorted.
I managed to test the temperature gauge and it is working with the sensor from the later model gsxr.  The thread is ever so slightly different to the BMW.  So another obstacle.
I have seen on some of the threads that there is a bmw part that fits some models.  So i will look into that one but a heads up on years and models would be good.  I think I found one but it was over $100 bucks in OZ.
BUT
my last couple of wires to sort(hopefully)
Do i need to connect the Violet/Black wire from the original cluster....I can't see a need but want to make sure.  I do not have a light for this feature.
And
Violet White for the choke light...I do not have this light either.
Happy to live without both.
Then dare I say it I am done with the electrical....although I probably should not type that...

• Queensland, Australia
  • 90 k100LT

Offline rbm

« Reply #45 on: November 04, 2016, 11:01:08 PM »
If you want to ignore overheating situations, then you don't need to connect the Violet/Black (Overtemp) indicator.  It is possible to use a wired-OR connection to have one indicator on your dash signal two separate conditions.  Use 1N4001 diodes wired as shown in the following schematic:

This diagram is from my K75.  The Green/White wire on the Motogadget goes to the Emergency indicator on the dash.  In this case, EITHER low oil pressure OR water over-temp will cause the light to illuminate.

The later model K's didn't have the choke switch installed so this function may be missing altogether.
  • Regards, Robert
Toronto, Ontario

Offline gsxrpig

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #46 on: November 06, 2016, 05:23:47 PM »
RBM
I have installed/installing a temperature gauge.
So I am not really ignoring the situation, I was thinking it would allow me to monitor the temperature more closely than just a light.
Hence the reason for eliminating the light and not doubling up on the feature
  • Queensland, Australia
  • 90 k100LT

Offline gsxrpig

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #47 on: January 10, 2017, 11:19:33 PM »
BUT
my last couple of wires to sort(hopefully)
Do i need to connect the Violet/Black wire from the original cluster....I can't see a need but want to make sure.  I do not have a light for this feature.
And
Violet White for the choke light...I do not have this light either.
Happy to live without both.
Then dare I say it I am done with the electrical....although I probably should not type that...
 ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

Sorry to revive this thread.  But i feel maybe the question above may be relevant to another thread I have started.   " Injectors not pulsing"
I have simply cut both of the features off above.. Violet and Black wire and Violet and white.
I can get the bike to crank brilliantly and spark is good.  12V at injectors but cannot get them to fire.
My question is has my cutting the Violet and Black wire sent a safety signal to the ECU and stopping the injectors from firing???
Have tested the fan and it works if hooked direct to 12v.   But because I installed a temperature gauge I didn't need this light but maybe I do?
I hope one of the electrical guru's can point me in the right direction...
I am so close to finishing but this is driving me crazy.
Thanks anyone who may have ideas
  • Queensland, Australia
  • 90 k100LT

Offline chugga

• Curious
« Reply #48 on: May 21, 2019, 04:29:39 AM »
Hi, did you manage to get this fork swap done?  I’m looking at a K100 1100LT and am interested in doing same.
  • Gold Coast
  • none ATM - will build a K100 very soon

Tags: