Author Topic: K100 build- making it up as I go  (Read 57703 times)

Offline jc55

• ^ Proficient Motobricker
Re: K100 build- making it up as I go
« Reply #50 on: November 29, 2016, 06:52:36 PM »
Got my seat back today, could not be happier!!!
  • Carrollton, Ohio
  • '90 K100LT '77 Gl1000

Offline jc55

« Reply #51 on: December 31, 2016, 05:10:48 PM »
Sandblasted my rims recently and ordered an Acewell 2853.  Had a couple of hours today to fab up an aluminum bezel which will be black, and welded in some stainless "speed" grille. Hope it looks cool.  Haven't had much time for the bike lately.

On a side note, I had another project that needed some plastic molded panels. Someone turned me on to Kydex. If you Google Kydex, you can make some pretty trick panels out of it. Might utilize it on the "K".

• Carrollton, Ohio
  • '90 K100LT '77 Gl1000

Offline The Mighty Gryphon

• Administrator
  • ^ Quintessential Motobricker
« Reply #52 on: December 31, 2016, 06:30:06 PM »
That is some really nice fabrication you are doing.  It's hard for me to get excited over most custom jobs, but yours definitely has my interest.  The craftsmanship is excellent.

One caution, your belly pan looks like it is blocking a lot of the airflow over the oil pan and the pumps.  When you get the bike running you might want to keep a close eye on your oil temperature.  I would also be very careful to run a high temperature synthetic oil to avoid oil damage due to high heat.
  • In my garage in Marilla, NY
  • '91K100RS White/Blue
Current:
'91 K100RS16V "Moby Brick Too"

Past:
'94 K75RT "Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS"
'92 K100RS16V "Moby Brick" (RIP, deceased in a vehicular assault)
'94 K75S Special Edition Dakar Yellow "Cheetos"
'89 K100RS Special Edition "Special Ed"

Offline jc55

« Reply #53 on: December 31, 2016, 09:03:58 PM »
Thank you very much for the compliments.

I also thank you for the input on the airflow. I will definitely monitor the oil temperature at your suggestion. I'm assuming that the radiator should do it all for the most part, but maybe not. Those inlets total 16.5 inches so I'm hoping that most of the heat will draft out the back while riding.
  • Carrollton, Ohio
  • '90 K100LT '77 Gl1000

Offline Vespa no more

« Reply #54 on: December 31, 2016, 10:34:27 PM »
Hopefully everything is fine
Maybe some sort of air ram or fan if not (version 2?)
Very impressed with the fabrication. An example to the rest of us.
Am interested in a single cafe style seat that can be easily modified to become a two seater - feel a little selfish if my wife (or kids) can't come along for a ride when they want to. Something where the back is easily unscrewed to remove the tail section by removing 4 screws under the seat.

Well done

Guy
  • Wollongong NSW AUSTRALIA
  • K100RT 1984, K1100RT 1993, Vespa VNB125 1963 :)

Offline bmwpyro

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #55 on: January 01, 2017, 09:48:07 PM »
Awesome Fabrication of the Belly Pan jc55.  :clap:

I'm new to bricks and riding and i was wondering to myself how hard it would be to do one?
i was thinking of integrating some engine guards aside from the pan itself... since i expect to be falling down a lot before i figure that out...
soemday...
  • Azusa, CA
  • 1985 K100RS, 1990 K75S
Always Learning...
Always something new to learn about riding and Kbikes...
"Viam inveniam aut faciam"

Offline Laitch

• Faster than a speeding pullet
  • Administrator
« Reply #56 on: January 01, 2017, 11:38:10 PM »
since i expect to be falling down a lot before i figure that out...soemday...
If you fulfill that expectation, you'll have neither the money nor the mobility to continue riding, bmwpyro.
  • Along the Ridley in Vermont.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles
I wept because I had no radials until I met a man who had no splines.
https://tinyurl.com/RillRider

Offline jc55

« Reply #57 on: January 02, 2017, 09:16:03 AM »
I agree with Laitch. Falling down shouldn't be an option when you have put a lot of work into a bike. Then again if I were truthful, I would admit that I've already knocked the bike off of the stand with no tires and rims on it... wasn't pretty. Luckily, someone walked into my shop right then and helped me.

I still have my crash bars if anyone needs them.
  • Carrollton, Ohio
  • '90 K100LT '77 Gl1000

Offline bmwpyro

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #58 on: January 02, 2017, 02:20:39 PM »
If you fulfill that expectation, you'll have neither the money nor the mobility to continue riding, bmwpyro.

i am actively working to prevent that possibility, but the probability is still there.  :eek: just finished MSF... at least i didnt fall  :yes

some low profile integrated guards would hopefully lower the cost...

that pan is certainly beautifully crafted. i can look at it the all day hoping i can do it someday.
  • Azusa, CA
  • 1985 K100RS, 1990 K75S
Always Learning...

Offline jc55

« Reply #59 on: January 02, 2017, 02:53:54 PM »
I just took my motorcycle safety course this past summer. I'd rather build than ride I'm finding. :mbird

Well, thank you. If I get a picture in my head, I can't afford, or find someone to make that picture come to life, you learn what you need to learn to make your vision come to life.

If you pick up some books and watch some custom shows, you'll start picking up some of the tricks. For instance, a nice set of used eBay glass breaking pliers is one of the most frequently used metal shaping tools I have. 

An old friend taught me to build everything in poster board first. When I first started tinkering with metal, I'd scab a bunch of pieces together to make shapes. That's how I got better at making my welds "disappear". Then I noticed that the pros made complicated panels from a single piece. That's the real challenge. If you can make it out of poster board, you can make it out of metal.

I picked up a 27 Ford roadster this year and did a bunch of metal work to get the metal body back to straight and solid. Having done a few cars, I've noticed that building motorcycles are about 1/10th of the work and cost, and the sky is the limit. Motor bikes are a lot more fun than sanding on a car for a few hundred hours!!! Lol.

• Carrollton, Ohio
  • '90 K100LT '77 Gl1000

Offline Laitch

• Administrator
« Reply #60 on: January 02, 2017, 03:23:46 PM »
If you pick up some books and watch some custom shows, you'll start picking up some of the tricks. For instance, a nice set of used eBay glass breaking pliers is one of the most frequently used metal shaping tools I have. 
When I was in the sheet metal trade, a similar tool was called flanging pliers. They come in varying widths.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles

Offline jc55

« Reply #61 on: January 02, 2017, 03:30:43 PM »
Absolutely, Laitch. Got a set of those seamers as well.
  • Carrollton, Ohio
  • '90 K100LT '77 Gl1000

Offline bmwpyro

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #62 on: January 02, 2017, 03:35:08 PM »
I just took my motorcycle safety course this past summer. I'd rather build than ride I'm finding. :mbird

i kinda know what you mean.

Well, thank you. If I get a picture in my head, I can't afford, or find someone to make that picture come to life, you learn what you need to learn to make your vision come to life.

An old friend taught me to build everything in poster board first. When I first started tinkering with metal, I'd scab a bunch of pieces together to make shapes. That's how I got better at making my welds "disappear". Then I noticed that the pros made complicated panels from a single piece. That's the real challenge. If you can make it out of poster board, you can make it out of metal.

I picked up a 27 Ford roadster this year and did a bunch of metal work to get the metal body back to straight and solid. Having done a few cars, I've noticed that building motorcycles are about 1/10th of the work and cost, and the sky is the limit. Motor bikes are a lot more fun than sanding on a car for a few hundred hours!!! Lol.

Really Nice.  :2thumbup: i dont have much in time nor opportunity but i'm working my way towards building things myself. 
Thank You for the tips. poster boarding will be quite useful.
i have acquired some tools and books but i realized that without a garage, i cant really do much. so thats the build i need to do first.

i have read many vw restoration threads and i understand what you mean by sanding... not looking forward to it myself  :yes
but rebuilding a bike first could be a good step for me.
  • Azusa, CA
  • 1985 K100RS, 1990 K75S
Always Learning...

Offline pablooo

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #63 on: January 02, 2017, 05:38:21 PM »
Hopefully everything is fine
Maybe some sort of air ram or fan if not (version 2?)
Very impressed with the fabrication. An example to the rest of us.
Am interested in a single cafe style seat that can be easily modified to become a two seater - feel a little selfish if my wife (or kids) can't come along for a ride when they want to. Something where the back is easily unscrewed to remove the tail section by removing 4 screws under the seat.

Well done

Guy

Take look at this build from Shaka Garage. http://thebikeshed.cc/2015/08/31/shaka-garage-silver-gills/ They were able to fabricate a cowl that can be removed when a second passenger would like a ride. Definitely a good looking bike and interesting exhaust which I was wanting for my build but no luck since it'd be a bit difficult fabricating something to still keep some sort of back pressure.
  • Austin, Tx
  • BMW K100, FZ-07

Offline jc55

« Reply #64 on: January 02, 2017, 06:06:06 PM »
Nice bike pablooo. Thanks for posting it.

Okay, tonight I cut the muffler apart along the weld. So excited!!!

I want to start by saying that the factory K collector is luscious. What a well engineered and beautiful piece of art. I was pleasantly surprised to find a solid baffle welded in place. I will wrap that baffle in exhaust mat and add a mandrel bent 90 degree custom tip.

I was going to weld a turbo v band clamp for a removable tip, but the collector end is square. I need to do some math and figure out what 13" in circumference equals in pipe diameter to make a round tip "square".

What do you guys think? Giving up the center stand was not an option.

• Carrollton, Ohio
  • '90 K100LT '77 Gl1000

Offline Glacial

« Reply #65 on: January 03, 2017, 03:12:44 AM »
Spokeless wheels - now THATS a design statement!
  • Cambridge, UK
  • 1990 K75S VIN 0109678
'If this is your mid-life crisis, you are going to live to be 114'

Offline Laitch

• Administrator
« Reply #66 on: January 03, 2017, 06:49:30 AM »
Spokeless wheels - now THATS a design statement!
Modifications to the alternator and wheel result a powerful magnetic centering force providing cushiony ride for the vertebrae-impaired.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles

Offline jc55

« Reply #67 on: January 03, 2017, 08:37:57 AM »
Yup, linear motors with earth magnets. Each tire weighs 1800 lbs!
  • Carrollton, Ohio
  • '90 K100LT '77 Gl1000

Offline bmwpyro

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #68 on: January 03, 2017, 05:48:07 PM »
assuming some magnetic leakage,
each 100mi should net you an average 1kg of metal debris from the road that you can sell to the local recycler and bike would pay for a tire change each over time.
Genius!
  • Azusa, CA
  • 1985 K100RS, 1990 K75S
Always Learning...

Offline jc55

« Reply #69 on: January 05, 2017, 09:02:03 PM »
Good one, bmwpyro!

Went to Summit Racing and got a 4" stainless, mandrel bent 90. It's 16 gauge. Got some muffler packing and stainless ties. Worked the mating surface square which took quite a bit of work. Man, that stainless steel has some serious memory. Tacked it temporarily, and used a sander on it for photos. May polish, may ceramic coat it. I don't know.

Going for wicked nasty race look..

• Carrollton, Ohio
  • '90 K100LT '77 Gl1000

Offline Boxermann

« Reply #70 on: January 06, 2017, 07:24:34 PM »
Nice!  Good work with the muffler.
  • Norway
  • K100 / '87, K75 / '87

Offline jc55

« Reply #71 on: January 07, 2017, 09:15:14 AM »
Thanks Boxermann, gotta let you V-twin types know we're there, sitting next to you at the light  :wave: :2thumbup:
  • Carrollton, Ohio
  • '90 K100LT '77 Gl1000

Offline jc55

« Reply #72 on: January 10, 2017, 03:33:20 PM »
 I media blasted my wheels (which took hours) then shot them in a Nason epoxy primer, then a Nason single stage gloss black with hardener over that.

I decided not to block sand or remove the casting lines since I'm not detailing the engine.  I was really nervous about painting these complicated wheels but I always pray before I start and I kept the wheels moving while shooting so they came out great.

I'll tape the wheels before mounting the tires.

• Carrollton, Ohio
  • '90 K100LT '77 Gl1000

Offline jc55

« Reply #73 on: January 14, 2017, 12:39:25 AM »
The paint had sagged on the rims in places by the next day. I had put the black on too heavy.  Fortunately, I did not run the epoxy, so I color sanded the black and reshot them. This was a new learning curve for me since I usually get it right and refuse to use rattle cans on anything. Wet sanding with 320 grit and reshooting did the trick.

Reinstalled the tires and new valve stems myself with lots of tape protecting the rim. (painters tape twice, then duct tape over that) Taped up the tire tools and used c-clamps to mount the tires pretty easily. (I tried the zip tie method but that was laughable).  I managed to put a little nick in the paint but I'll just touch it up. I learned a lot for next time.

I also decided that now was a good time for doing the splines...yawn. Took about an hour to pull everything off and all of the splines looked great. This was a meticulously dealer maintained bike, supposedly, but it WAS time to do them.
For documentation purposes I'm adding all of the pics.  There was a piece of snap ring near the final drive when I removed it. I'll look into that before reassembly.
  • Carrollton, Ohio
  • '90 K100LT '77 Gl1000

Offline jc55

« Reply #74 on: January 18, 2017, 07:19:33 PM »
I greased all of the splines with Honda Moly 77 after cleaning up the tranny and final drive.

Today I painted the frame with Nason 2k single stage with a flattener. Well, so far, its not flattening. Might end up with gloss black.

I installed the exhaust matting and welded up the exhaust.

Oh, if anyone wonders if you can weld two pieces of stainless together with an aluminum rod, the answer is yes. Yes you can. Ground out the spot weld and re TIG welded with stainless...Duh!!!

Polished up the exhaust. I know it might be a little radical for some, but with the color I picked out, it should be absurd. I may add a screen in the tip.

I have 2 or 3 more tricks up my sleeve so we'll see how those go. Rearsets came in today so I will be building my own linkage and mounting plates.

Now I can start replacing all of the hoses, clean as I go, and hopefully start her up before the acewell and RBM's awesome speed sensor/neutral board. It hasn't ran in 6 years.

• Carrollton, Ohio
  • '90 K100LT '77 Gl1000

Tags: