Author Topic: Removing dents from the gas tank  (Read 6613 times)

Offline frankenduck

• Adrninistrator
  • ^ Quintessential Motobricker
Removing dents from the gas tank
« on: August 17, 2011, 01:38:25 PM »
K bike fuel tanks are double-walled aluminum tanks so you can't pound then out from the inside.  (And don't be surprised if that magnetic tank bag you bought doesn't cling to your tank.)

Here's a little trick I learned for making dents "fix themselves."  It might not get the dent all of the way out but can make it smaller/better.

Heat the dent up with a heat gun or hair dryer.  Then slap some ice (or dry ice if your local grocery store carries it) on the dent.  Repeat this process a few times and the dent should come out, at least some.

The reason this works is that the metal has a structural "memory" and by running it through a few hot/cold cycles it will tend to return to it's original shape.
Once I had a Collie pup. Dug a hole and covered him up. Now I sit there by the hour. Waiting for a Collie-flower.
New to K bikes? Click here.
K Bike Maintenance & Mods: Click here.
Buy parts here.

Offline johnny

• TrailBrakingThrottleWhacker
  • ^ Quintessential Motobricker
  • Whacking...n...Chopping Sliding...n...High Siding
Re: Removing dents from the gas tank
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2011, 03:59:12 PM »
i wanted to extend my miles per tank so i filled up my tank with pressurized air to ballooon out the inner wall... not only did i extend my miles per tank it also fixed my dents...

the reason this works is that high pressure air crushes the inner liner outward thus creating a larger tank which holds more gas which takes me farther + when the inner liner  is crushed against the outer wall it pushes out the dents whether they gotts memory or not...

j o

• :johnny i parks my 96 eleven hundert rs motobrick in dodge county cheezconsin  :johnny

Offline Turkus

• Rollin' The Brickus Turkus - '93K75S
  • ^ Proficient Motobricker
  • Recalculating.....
Removing dents from the gas tank
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2011, 07:02:10 PM »
I was tempted to offer the "air hose" method but it seems that J O beat me to it.....and then some  :D
You can get more with kind words and a REALLY BIG gun, than with just kind words...trust me

Rick G

Re: Removing dents from the gas tank
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2011, 07:22:06 AM »
The only time I ever put a air hose into a gas tank it ended up 4 feet wide and 4 inches high and didn't fit the bike very well at all.  My boss couldn't complain about having to buy a new tank because I said I didn't want to do it but he assured me it would work.  Took about a week to stop laughing.

Tags: