Author Topic: K100.... Build?  (Read 24313 times)

Offline jc55

• ^ Proficient Motobricker
Re: K100.... Build?
« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2017, 08:13:02 AM »
Oooooooooh, that is nice, Pablooo. Thats a vinyl wrap? I really need to learn that skill. It looks like a bike that's about to be used in a serious crime... :2thumbup:  those handle bar turn signals are gonna be awesome.
  • Carrollton, Ohio
  • '90 K100LT '77 Gl1000

Offline duckytran

« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2017, 09:46:42 AM »
Looking good! Are you still planning to trim the front fender and foot peg plates? Hopefully, you'll finish in time to ride it to the Handbuilt Show.
  • Austin, Texas
  • 1993 K75, 1981 R65

Offline pablooo

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2017, 04:02:49 PM »
Oooooooooh, that is nice, Pablooo. Thats a vinyl wrap? I really need to learn that skill. It looks like a bike that's about to be used in a serious crime... :2thumbup:  those handle bar turn signals are gonna be awesome.

Yup. vinyl wrap! I think the only reason to go with vinyl is if one is wanting a harder color to achieve through paint such as any chrome or matte colors or patterns even such as carbon fiber. Next time I change the color I'll probably just paint it rather than wrap it. It's nice though that I can just remove it when I want in a few months.

Looking good! Are you still planning to trim the front fender and foot peg plates? Hopefully, you'll finish in time to ride it to the Handbuilt Show.

I was thinking about it but I didn't want to trim the LT fender or the pegs if I'm just gonna replace them. No need to hack up parts that can go to someone who might do a restoration or something. I have a 2-piece RS front fender for the k1100 front end I have sitting in the garage right now which I just need to source the front 3 spoke and brake calipers. I decided to place an order on the BSK rearsets as well.

I should have everything done hopefully by that time.
  • Austin, Tx
  • BMW K100, FZ-07

Offline Hank

• Curious
« Reply #28 on: April 19, 2017, 12:42:46 PM »
Hi pablooo,

I saw that you got the Maru-labs BEP unit, did you also need the motogadet M-unit? I would imagine that the BEP unit has all the connections necessary for the instrument cluster that you need.

I'm going to start a Cafe racer project soon and want to remove the relay box under the tank/seat.

From my understanding, the BEP unit keeps all the electrics stock so I'd have to keep using stock relays, and the motogadget M-unit does not need the relays.

I don't know if the motogadget m-unit has proper speedo/RPM readout with the stock BMW speedo sensor, and compatible neutral/gear indicator; or if the radiator fan will still activate.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Also, how challenging is it to straighten the underseat frame rail? I have no welding experience and no welding tools, but I can access a motorcycle rebuild garage with all the tools I might need.

• California
  • 1988 K100

Offline Boxermann

« Reply #29 on: June 27, 2017, 01:27:20 PM »
Any progress?
  • Norway
  • K100 / '87, K75 / '87

Offline pablooo

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #30 on: November 26, 2017, 12:38:16 AM »
Update to the build or more like the demise of it. I had the bike up and running but not more than 2 weeks later, Hurricane Harvey hit Houston and let's just say my bike wasn't a fan of sitting in 4ft water for 3 days. Insurance was called and my claim was considered a total loss which wasn't surprising. I will be getting more money than what I have spent on the bike and the actual bike itself which means I will be hopefully returning it to its former self.

As for damage, I wasn't able to get it back up and running because I had to move to San Francisco 2 weeks later. I was planning to bring the bike with me but no point in bringing a flooded bike especially in the state it was in. I was able to take everything apart including engine, frame, and electrics which I know are no good before I left. I was able to drain all the fluids out and replace everything including spark plugs. My frame is now a salvage frame. Regarding fixing it up, the last thing I want to do is buy a whole new bike and hack it up so I will be sourcing the parts individually. The new harness, ECU, maybe the frame, and the new parts to rebuild things like the calipers, brake lines, etc. For all other parts I was able to take apart, I placed in a room with a dehumidifier so all should be good with the tail, gas tank, etc. Hopefully i'll be able to bring the engine back to life but I won't be back in Houston for another 3 weeks. I have started ordering new rebuild kits for things I know I have to replace.

Here are some pictures of what it last looked like.

EDIT: for some reason when I try and upload pictures it never goes through and when I try to embed them all I get is a blue question mark so here's a link to the album of the bike.

https://imgur.com/a/nA2Tj

• Austin, Tx
  • BMW K100, FZ-07

Offline billday

• ^ Quintessential Motobricker
« Reply #31 on: November 26, 2017, 08:30:42 AM »
Wow what a tale. Glad you're OK and moving ahead.
  • New York State, USA 10977
  • 1985 K100

Offline The Mighty Gryphon

• Administrator
  • ^ Quintessential Motobricker
« Reply #32 on: November 26, 2017, 09:34:13 AM »
What a shame!  One of the nicer jobs.  Hope the engine dries out okay.  Figure on three or four quick oil changes after you can make it run.  With luck you won't have any serious  internal rust in the engine, trans or final drive.  I've recovered several marine engines that way, but the longer you wait...
  • In my garage in Marilla, NY
  • '91K100RS White/Blue
Current:
'91 K100RS16V "Moby Brick Too"

Past:
'94 K75RT "Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS"
'92 K100RS16V "Moby Brick" (RIP, deceased in a vehicular assault)
'94 K75S Special Edition Dakar Yellow "Cheetos"
'89 K100RS Special Edition "Special Ed"

Offline pablooo

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #33 on: November 26, 2017, 02:48:55 PM »
What a shame!  One of the nicer jobs.  Hope the engine dries out okay.  Figure on three or four quick oil changes after you can make it run.  With luck you won't have any serious  internal rust in the engine, trans or final drive.  I've recovered several marine engines that way, but the longer you wait...

Yeah, the time that it’s been sitting even though it’s in a dehumidifier room still concerns me as you say. Knowing the brick, I wouldn’t be surprised if it comes back to life super easily. I will be going over it and probably taking the engine completely apart to see what it’s like. Thankfully I see quite a bit of engines for sale on fleabay if I need to go that route.
  • Austin, Tx
  • BMW K100, FZ-07

Tags: