Author Topic: K100.... Build?  (Read 24318 times)

Offline pablooo

• ^ Motobrick Curious
K100.... Build?
« on: April 14, 2016, 08:43:36 PM »
Hey all, i've decided to start my first motorcycle build thread on a 1987 BMW K100 with 63, XXX mi. which I bought from a fellow forum member and just received delivery of today. It was in somewhat rough shape but good mechanically and didn't mind since most of what is seen now, will be gone in a few days. 't will be ridden daily and turned in to something i'm not really sure how to describe. It will be somewhat of a mix between a futuristic street fighter/cafe racer-esque motorcycleI don't have renders of what i'm planning to do but I have them on my work computer and will post up later.

As of today I started removing the fairing along with the side and top bags. I have also begun my CAD drawings so I can print out the bracket for my headlights and speedo mount.  I will start with the maintenance baseline on saturday as i'm making the move from Austin,Tx to Houston, Tx. tomorrow.

I have made a list of mods I want to have done and cross them out as I go and update on here as well.

Intended Mod list:
Strip all fairings
install custom headlights
Install Aftermarket Speedo(I've purchased a universal speedo for the time being but will be purchasing the Motoscope Pro soon)
Custom Seat
Lowered 3/4"
relocated ignition switch ( plan on installing an m-lock in the future)
New rear sets(seems like BSK is the way to go)
strap-ons Handlebars with new grips(I'm going with 41mm 7/8th and either slightly forcing them on there or using a dremel to help with the fit
Shorten Frame
Fabricate Custom rear end
Rear wheel replacement with K1200 5 spoke
Front end replacement with a K1100 front end
Spiegler Front and rear brake line kits
Paint
Suspension wise it came with a progressive shock from Progressive Suspension USA so i'm not sure when or if i'll be upgrading.
  • Austin, Tx
  • BMW K100, FZ-07

Offline sj2000

• ^ Proficient Motobricker
Re: My First Motorcycle Build
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2016, 05:12:46 PM »
Wow this is nice and clean condition, too bad if you want to make it cafe.
  • Parker, USA
  • 1985 K100

Offline Turbo224

• Newb
  • Motobrick Curious
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2016, 01:33:03 PM »
Ignore the whiners, do what you want with YOUR bike and post plenty of pictures along the way. Good luck!
~Tyler~

-90 K75S
-71 Cuda 440-6pk

Offline pablooo

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2016, 10:39:40 PM »
I apologize for the lack of updates but getting things back to normal after the flood in Houston right after moving here was a bit of a hassle. I've stripped down the K100 to a naked bike and finally received all the parts needed to not only do my mechanical baseline but everything needed to actually finish this project bike so hopefully things will be moving quite quickly. I finally received the last piece to really start this things going (I don't like waiting for each part and having a torn apart bike and not being able to ride) and that was the K1100 center/side stand. Some surface rust but I did some cleaning and I will be sanding it down and sealing it up. I cleaned up the stand and drained all the fuel out tonight. Here's  some pictures of all the goodies(not including the speedometer as I didn't have it when this picture was taken).I got all the BMW manufacturer maintenance baseline stuff, Biltwell grips, clip on's with a 1" rise, LED Projectors, bar end mirrors, a universal speedometer, and a brand new dead stock K1200RS wheel(5"x17"). As for the tail piece I'm actually gonna 3d print it with carbon fiber reinforced nylon along with the headlight/speedometer mount.
  • Austin, Tx
  • BMW K100, FZ-07

Offline jjs1234

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2016, 03:26:51 AM »
watching. Its fun to build when you have all your parts! :deal:

I just had to purchase a second 4.5x19in wheel. I think your post says a k2100... pretty sure thats a spelling error?
  • Northern California
  • 1984 K100
Check out my build! Complete tear-down!
Mr. Creative

Offline pablooo

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2016, 03:29:57 AM »
watching. Its fun to build when you have all your parts! :deal:

I just had to purchase a second 4.5x19in wheel. I think your post says a k2100... pretty sure thats a spelling error?

Ahhh yeah, I meant K1200RS. Got a really good deal on fleabay for a brand new wheel.

It's definitely fun seeing how fast it comes together without having to wait for any shipping or any of the sort.
  • Austin, Tx
  • BMW K100, FZ-07

Offline jjs1234

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2016, 03:32:23 AM »
I hope your wheel fits too. But if yours does I know mine will!
  • Northern California
  • 1984 K100
Mr. Creative

Offline pablooo

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2016, 03:34:01 AM »
I will know by the end of the week! Not sure if you did this but I'm replacing my center stand with the K1100 as it will allow for it.
  • Austin, Tx
  • BMW K100, FZ-07

Offline jjs1234

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2016, 03:47:20 AM »
nooooooooo

i did not... Do I need to do this now? eek, I just had it sand-blasted.

I run the 84 stand too... some say their unreliable?

And when you say center-stand, do you mean the whole assembly? Or is the mounting plate/kickstand the same?
  • Northern California
  • 1984 K100
Mr. Creative

Offline pablooo

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2016, 03:53:34 AM »
Ahh never mind. It seems you don't need to change anything to fit the 4.5" 3 spoke. I used this guide created by a fellow forum member https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3UPbNZRyr1reDNoZFZPcGlHa00/view?pref=2&pli=1
  • Austin, Tx
  • BMW K100, FZ-07

Offline pablooo

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2016, 06:16:40 PM »
Small update to the build, I have started cleaning up the wiring and while I was at it I figured i'd put on the K1200RS 5" wheel. I replaced the center stand with a K1100 one along with 5mm shorter wheel bolts and it went right in. If one wanted one could also just remove the center stand altogether just keeping the side stand to have the wider wheel. I got to ride it a bit around the block before I removed the fuel tank and you can really feel how much more planted it is. I thought maybe the offset would affect it but I didn't feel it did. Once I finish this build I will be getting proper new rubber and i'm sure it'll be even better.

• Austin, Tx
  • BMW K100, FZ-07

Offline jjs1234

« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2016, 11:52:22 PM »
Are you going to keep the front rim the same?

Sent from my HUAWEI MT7-L09 using Tapatalk

• Northern California
  • 1984 K100
Mr. Creative

Offline pablooo

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2016, 11:54:50 PM »
Are you going to keep the front rim the same?

Sent from my HUAWEI MT7-L09 using Tapatalk

At the moment yes, until I can find a K1100 front end and put the k1200 rim to match the rear one
  • Austin, Tx
  • BMW K100, FZ-07

Offline jjs1234

« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2016, 02:09:39 PM »
If Im not mistaken I believe you will also need a machined front axle for that rim...
  • Northern California
  • 1984 K100
Mr. Creative

Offline pablooo

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2016, 11:32:46 PM »
Its been a while since i've updated. As with all builds sometimes personal things come up and it has to be put on the back burner but i'm back and working on it. 

I got rid of the old rubber brake hoses which i'm not sure were ever replaced with new braided ones with help of Tom at Katy Hydraulics. I found a huge cut in one of them so i'm glad I did that before anything could have happened. I restored the master cylinder with new rubber gasket and cleaned out the gunk inside of it.

I have now modified the frame to suit to where the awkward downward angle was fixed and made flat while able to keep the stock shock mounts in place or at least at the same angle and height.I thought about changing the angle of the tank itself to be flush with everything but I actually like the upward angle it's at and it would fit with the angle of the rear cowl I was making. To make the tail piece I shaped it out of steel and once I got it the shape I wanted it I put some glaze over it to really get it all smooth and then primed it. Its got a slit in it so it'll have the frame go in it and then be held down by two nutserts at the front of the cowl itself. As for the rear tail light, I had a custom tail light ordered from Radiantz. It's a double stack LED flexible strip and when the turn signals turn on half of it changes in to an amber color then back to red and will also act as the brake light.

I was able to get rid of the old temporary chinese clip ons and install the ABM multiCLIP tour clip ons. They were a bit pricy but with the amount of adjustability and height they can come up to while still be able to go down when I need them to were worth it to me. Probably some of the best machined bars i've had on a bike. They can be adjusted 5 different ways and on the spot.

I was also able to clean up the rear wheel and just plasti-dip it black to see what it looked like and to match the already black front wheel. Installed the Progressive 465 shock I received from a fellow forum member in the rear to replace the Progressive 412 shock that was on there when I bought it. If anyone wants it you're welcome to it(just pay shipping of course). It works AFAIK. 

For headlights, I have these LED projectors i've used in the past for other stuff and had a friend here in Houston who does custom headlights for custom trucks and such add a cutoff point so I won't be blinding everybody while using them. Made the bracket out of steel but i'm not exactly sure if I'll be keeping the look. I might just go with an Urban Headlight kit from an MT-07 or the oval headlight from the VMAX. The projectors I have now work great but not sure if the look fits right.

I was able to strip the tank with the aircraft stripper and this stuff works wonders. I am hoping to remove the tabs tomorrow at the front of the tank since they are of no use to me and just don't look right without any fairings. As for paint, I am stuck on two paint jobs but leaning towards the black with the "M" livery stripes. I will be going vinyl over the primer as I am most likely changing colors again in a few months. She is running with all new fluids, spark plugs, and rubber hoses. I have a Shorai lithium battery on the way and will be ordering the BSK rear sets in a week or so. As for speedometer, I was going to use the 12,000 RPM eBay speedo I have but will wait it out and go ahead and order the motogadget motoscope pro. I am in no hurry as Maru from Maru-Labs won't be sending out the new version of the BEP 3.0 until the end of september. Seat pan is being made now and will be off to upholstery soon.

• Austin, Tx
  • BMW K100, FZ-07

Offline Shirty

• Motobrick Curious
Re: K100 Motorcycle somewhat Build
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2016, 08:25:24 AM »
Hi, Love what you are doing.

Am particularly interested in how you cut & modified the frame tube to level it out, it looks really neat.

Cheers  -  Shirty
  • UK
  • K75, Triumph TR6P 650, Royal Enfield 'Mullet' 700, Harley Davidson Ironhead Sportster

Offline duckytran

« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2016, 04:27:54 PM »
It's looking good Pablooo! I like the black rendering as it looks more sinister than the white version. What's your plan for the front wheel fender? I trimmed mine to the look I like and wrap it. Too bad you're in Houston. I would have like to check out your build in person if you had been in Austin.
  • Austin, Texas
  • 1993 K75, 1981 R65

Offline pablooo

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2016, 06:39:42 PM »
It's looking good Pablooo! I like the black rendering as it looks more sinister than the white version. What's your plan for the front wheel fender? I trimmed mine to the look I like and wrap it. Too bad you're in Houston. I would have like to check out your build in person if you had been in Austin.

Thanks! Yeah, I'll be trimming down the fender a bit to make it look better at least in my eyes but not enough to keep it from doing its intended job. I'm moving back to the Austin house next month for 5 months again and I'll be bringing the bike with me. We can meet up! I live in the Boulder creek area near congress & w Mary St.
  • Austin, Tx
  • BMW K100, FZ-07

Offline Boxermann

« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2017, 05:22:22 AM »
Looks great. Any chance for an update?
  • Norway
  • K100 / '87, K75 / '87

Offline pablooo

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2017, 08:59:52 PM »
Time for a needed update. things came up again but I hope to finish it soon. I only have a couple of electrics and tiny details.

As for recently, I did get the mt-07 headlight and still deciding on whether or not to keep it. I think it fits the build well and when I lower the clip ons to "race" position it will look even better. I have cut off the tabs where the fairings went on the tank itself as I felt it looked better this way.

I received a big shipment of motogadget parts. I got an m-unit, m-grips, m-rear mirrors, m-lock, m-blaze turn signals, and the good looking motoscope pro with a breakout box. I also received the Brotbox 3.0 as well which has helped immensely with the wiring. I also realized that I might as well also update the controls. I've ordered the motogadget 3 button controls and to do that I also had to order a new clutch and brake lever assembly from ABM. While those come in, I'll be using the original ones for now. I'll go more into depth on how I wired everything up in a later post as I'm not done with everything. With me having not having much experience in this department, it's been a learning experience.

I made up a seat pan and installed some nutserts to keep it from going anywhere. It is now at the upholsterer in Mexico (family goes to visit once a month so I sent it over with them) I've paid about $30 to get it upholstered with plenty of memory foam and leather. I didn't really feel like going through the trouble of learning to do it myself if the material cost here will be more than having it done there. My family has used them before so their work from what we've seen has been pretty great.

I've cleaned up the tank a lot better and removed everything I could down to bare aluminum and then primed it and ready for vinyl. I tried it with the rear cowl and so far so good but still took a few tries so I'm sure it'll be a while for the tank. I started her up a few weeks ago before starting the tank so mechanically, she's doing real good. I've got a k1100 front end in the garage along with some new rotors. I'm just looking to find a good 3 spoke k1100rs front wheel and the front calipers now and I can put it on but I also might go the route of having an axle made to fit the 5 spoke k1200 wheel to match the rear one but at around $400 to have one made I'm still debating it. Also would like to have the frame repainted. As for now, I just want to get the electrics finished and get my seat back so I can take her out for a little.
  • Austin, Tx
  • BMW K100, FZ-07

Offline Laitch

• Faster than a speeding pullet
  • Administrator
  • ^ Quintessential Motobricker
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2017, 09:07:54 PM »
I received a big shipment of motogadget parts. I got an m-unit, m-grips, m-rear mirrors, m-lock, m-blaze turn signals . . .
Get any M&Ms?
  • Along the Ridley in Vermont.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles

Offline pablooo

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2017, 09:20:34 PM »
Get any M&Ms?

Not yet, they're on the way though!
  • Austin, Tx
  • BMW K100, FZ-07

Offline Boxermann

Re: K100.... Build?
« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2017, 02:51:38 PM »
I see we have a similar idea on the concept and a lot of the same components; motoscope pro, mt(03) headlight, m-blaze, m-grips..

Looking forward to see how yours turn out.
  • Norway
  • K100 / '87, K75 / '87

Offline MaraudeRS

« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2017, 11:38:15 AM »
Great build so far! I'm doing a similar project, which I too have a build log for on here. Mine is requiring a lot more to get it operational, though.

You mentioned that you would let someone have your old shock, they just have to pay shipping. Still have it? I could really use.  :lets-eat:
  • Monterey, CA
  • 1992 K100RS

Offline pablooo

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2017, 11:14:15 PM »
Small update

I've received the seat back. Went with a horizontal pattern across made out of leather. I want to actually ride this bike for longer than a few miles so I didn't skimp out on materials when asked how much padding was wanted.  Kinda wish I would've gone with a diamond pattern but for the price I had it made, I can always go back and have it redone. It might look a bit off in the pictures but it isn't anchored down all the way which is why it isn't all the way flush with the tail.

I finished wrapping the tank and front fender. Took me quite a while and patience to get it right. I'll be adding the "m" stripes as well.  Its not perfect but all I want to do is ride it so I'm just gonna finish wiring the turn signals and tail light with some AMP superseal connectors that are coming in the mail, mount the computer, and put in the brotbox again and I'll be good to ride. As it's rideable, I'll just be finishing everything off one by one. It also needs a little cleanup as it's certainly not looking too good from sitting in the garage for a while now.
  • Austin, Tx
  • BMW K100, FZ-07

Tags: