Author Topic: K1 CAFE RACER, can you keep the K1 ADN in a racer conversion?  (Read 55598 times)

Offline cdrp

• Motobrick Curious
K1 CAFE RACER, can you keep the K1 ADN in a racer conversion?
« on: February 26, 2016, 06:25:00 PM »
Hi, everybody, almost a year ago, I bought a K1, 1989, the bike was abandoned around 15 years ago, it was in a poor fairy good condition, so I decided to restore it, during the restoration process, I started to wonder, what if I turn it into a K1 Cafe Racer, never seen one before, could I keep the the bike's K1 ADN? I knew what the bike was and what it meant to BMW history, like someone said, will the German goods take revenge for mi acts if I do so?  well, it is a rare bike, and I don't see my self riding in a red leather suit if you know what I mean,..  so, I tried to keep as much as possible the original K1 parts, like the foot pegs, original, but CNC re-machined, the color, " Schwartz und Gelb" (Black and yellow) which was also standard for the K1, original rear shock, but with the piggyback reservoir exposed, original handlebar and controls, the instrument cluster, which will be replaced soon, it is too big, the exhaust system, which a clean surgery was applied to open, all the guts removed, and replaced for a straight perforated inside pipe, and shortened for better looks and sound, a new aluminum + leather seat, perfectly matched to the bike's style, Piaa 550 led lamps, and still, under construction is a very small bikini fairing...
Well here is the history if this adventure, I wish I was able to keep the K1 ADN and Soul, I hope you enjoy it as much as me, and the German goods don't come for me!
  • Monterrey Mexico
  • K1 1989, Kz 550 1981

Offline cdrp

• Motobrick Curious
Re: K1 CAFE RACER, can you keep the K1 ADN in a racer conversion?
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2016, 06:30:39 PM »
Sorry for the spelling, I meant Gods, not Goods... not native to english...
  • Monterrey Mexico
  • K1 1989, Kz 550 1981

Offline TrueAce

• ^ SuperNatural Motobricker
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2016, 06:43:09 PM »
Well, congratulations on your beautiful build. But let me be the first to say you have committed a sacrilege, turning a rare historical K1 into an everyday cafe racer. Duh, why? Your build is excellent in the details, but it's still an ordinary, but expensive, cafe bike. What are you planning to do with the K-1 bits?
  • Florida
  • '85 K100GS, '85 K100RSSC,', '94 K1100RS,'10 S1000rr,'14 Ural Sidecar, '15 R Nine T
Agree Agree x 1 View List

Offline gazman

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2016, 07:14:45 PM »
You have made a beautiful machine, pity about the choice of donor but at the end of the day regardless of who you upset ( and I'm sure there will be many) I's you'r bike to do with as you see fit. Say hi to all the fitter's of NGK leads when you get to hell, the god's are pissed. lol :grimreaper:
  • west australia
  • 93 K1100LT

Offline cdrp

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2016, 07:28:07 PM »
Sorry for the sacrilege, I couldn't help it,  I needed to make it mine, something I like riding it, rather than keeping it on the garage.. "come look what a strange bike I got" most people don't know what a K1 is or what it represent, I knew what I was doing and I don't regret it, I really enjoyed working on the bike, all was home made, no external shop was involved, so it was not an expensive project, ... it is a rare but still a K1,... may be the only K1 cafe racer,  never seen one before, and the most important ting, it is not the money or how much is worth, it is what expresses of your self, for me, I like to transform things, it is a way to communicate with others about who I am, I hope you forgive me, promise I will... do it again!
Regarding the parts, the top faring had an small accident on the left side, it is repaired but not vey well, can be fixed easily, most of the parts are in very good condition, paint is not original, if someone is interested, I like to sell them as a package, the complete fairing + ABS, (brain, sensors, pumps and wiring) one of the rear door pocket is re-made, not original, I can share individual photos of all parts if you like, when I bought the bike it had  no front brake so ABS was not working, but I guess is OK
  • Monterrey Mexico
  • K1 1989, Kz 550 1981

Offline Bill

• ^ Proficient Motobricker
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2016, 07:34:26 PM »
Not a big fan of cafe s but I do like this one  :2thumbup:  The donor choice is unfortunate but if the pieces removed are kept for a restoration later that might appease the gods somewhat  :dunno2:  I wonder if the visual accents could have been done on an 'ordinary K ?   
  • Sutton, Ontario, Canada
  • K100 LT
Current:  88 K100 LT

86 K100 R-?L?T parts collection in loose formation...

previous:
84 V45 Sabre
74 CB400
72 CB750

Offline cdrp

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2016, 08:51:09 PM »
Thanks for your comments, in the beginning, I was looking for a R series, but lucky, (...only for me I guess) I step into this one, I thought a lot about converting to a cafe racer, specially the value of the bike, but passion won over business, so it is a true K1, you can tell it is a true K1 by the foot pegs, more high and back than standards, the lift handle on the frame for the stand, the original yellow color on the transmission and wheels, so it is a K1 transformation, I called it the K1 Spyder  ( spyder for BMW, spider for Ferrary) which for cars, it is meant for a roof-less or convertible,  for a K1... naked ("K1 Spyder", it is on the expansion tank) .... and not everything is lost (for some) there are some damaged K1's that will benefit from original parts, which are scarce! ...or if I really repent, I can make it come bak, some welding and reassembly...mmm... may be not, I really like it this way!!!
  • Monterrey Mexico
  • K1 1989, Kz 550 1981

Offline Laitch

• Faster than a speeding pullet
  • Administrator
  • ^ Quintessential Motobricker
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2016, 01:12:38 AM »
I can make it come bak, some welding and reassembly...mmm... may be not, I really like it this way!!!
:2thumbup:
  • Along the Ridley in Vermont.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles
I wept because I had no radials until I met a man who had no splines.
https://tinyurl.com/RillRider

Offline Laitch

• Faster than a speeding pullet
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2016, 02:34:10 AM »
Say hi to all the fitter's of NGK leads when you get to hell, the god's are pissed. lol :grimreaper:
:clap:
  • Along the Ridley in Vermont.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles
I wept because I had no radials until I met a man who had no splines.
https://tinyurl.com/RillRider

Offline Markus77

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2016, 08:31:55 AM »
Congrats on your build! Your attention to detail is really impressive - enjoy the bike:)
  • Toronto
  • '94 K75RT

Offline The Mighty Gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2016, 09:06:13 AM »
I have to admit that as much as I don't get excited about cafe jobs, I sort of find this one very attractive.  The yellow and black color scheme highlights the mechanicals nicely, and the black helps to hide that unfortunate upswept line in the bottom rear of the fuel tank.

The seat looks like it might actually not be painful to sit on for longer than it takes to start the engine, and the way the back end of the seat cushion follows the line of the frame shows a good eye on the part of the builder as does the way the line of the top of the tank flows into the tail cowling.  And somehow, even the stock instrument cluster looks like it belongs there. 

The workmanship in all the fabricated parts is flawless as is their design.

All in all, even considering it was done to a K1, let me give a hearty "Well Done!" on this bike.
  • In my garage in Marilla, NY
  • '91K100RS White/Blue
Current:
'91 K100RS16V "Moby Brick Too"

Past:
'94 K75RT "Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS"
'92 K100RS16V "Moby Brick" (RIP, deceased in a vehicular assault)
'94 K75S Special Edition Dakar Yellow "Cheetos"
'89 K100RS Special Edition "Special Ed"

Offline billday

« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2016, 01:13:43 PM »
Congratulations. You took the one K bike that has actual value as a collectible (maybe not to you -- but it's true) and turned it into a bundle of cliches that no one but you will ever want to own. So, enjoy. And please make an effort to find a good home for the K1 tupperware.
  • New York State, USA 10977
  • 1985 K100

Offline jjs1234

« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2016, 08:00:54 PM »
Sorry for the sacrilege, I couldn't help it,  I needed to make it mine, something I like riding it, rather than keeping it on the garage.. "come look what a strange bike I got" most people don't know what a K1 is or what it represent, I knew what I was doing and I don't regret it, I really enjoyed working on the bike, all was home made, no external shop was involved, so it was not an expensive project, ... it is a rare but still a K1,... may be the only K1 cafe racer,  never seen one before, and the most important ting, it is not the money or how much is worth, it is what expresses of your self, for me, I like to transform things, it is a way to communicate with others about who I am, I hope you forgive me, promise I will... do it again!
Regarding the parts, the top faring had an small accident on the left side, it is repaired but not vey well, can be fixed easily, most of the parts are in very good condition, paint is not original, if someone is interested, I like to sell them as a package, the complete fairing + ABS, (brain, sensors, pumps and wiring) one of the rear door pocket is re-made, not original, I can share individual photos of all parts if you like, when I bought the bike it had  no front brake so ABS was not working, but I guess is OK

I for one love the look. I thought the colors would clash. I admit I am choosing Gold, Black and Red as my colors (German flag), I hope to do as good of a job as you.

I think a well done cafe build is worth alot more than a standard OEM bike.

I want to take that idea for the gauges on the side... haha

By the way, how did you get around the Mass Airflow Meter by having induvidual air filters on the intake? I would love to have that look!!!

different ecu... motronic

**Oh and I was also looking at a K1 in my area before I settled on my k100** (being a K1 wouldn't have changed anything)
  • Northern California
  • 1984 K100
Check out my build! Complete tear-down!
Mr. Creative

Offline Donmystic1

« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2016, 11:13:26 AM »
I need an air intake manifold for my K1. It plugs into the bottom of the air filter box.

I need part # 11, 3 and 10

Don

860-460-3282
  • Mystic, CT
  • 1985 K100, 1985 K100RS, 1986 K100RS Turbo,1985 K100RT

Offline jjs1234

« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2016, 01:08:18 PM »
I need an air intake manifold for my K1. It plugs into the bottom of the air filter box.

I need part # 11, 3 and 10

Don

860-460-3282

You should post this in the classifieds section, not take over the OPs thread.
  • Northern California
  • 1984 K100
Check out my build! Complete tear-down!
Mr. Creative

Offline Donmystic1

« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2016, 01:28:18 PM »
It is posted in the classified section. It was suggested that I come to this thread for the part.
  • Mystic, CT

Offline cdrp

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2016, 01:31:38 PM »
Hi Donmystic, I am trying to sell everything as a package, but Let me think about it, I will contact you later,
  • Monterrey Mexico
  • K1 1989, Kz 550 1981

Offline Donmystic1

« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2016, 01:58:38 PM »
Ok thank you

Don
  • Mystic, CT

Offline cdrp

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2016, 01:59:34 PM »
I will publish all the parts in the "parts section"!!!
  • Monterrey Mexico
  • K1 1989, Kz 550 1981

Offline enialb2

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2016, 02:38:23 AM »
Amazing build quality, and attention to detail. Gauges and switches/controls are always a difficult bit to minimize or replace on a K. I admit I'm fond of the original 80's futuristic styling, but I appreciate that you went all the way with your vision.
  • Queens, NY
  • 1991 BMW K75, 2008 Husqvarna TE 250

Offline cdrp

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2016, 09:55:42 AM »
Thanks for your comments!!! I hope it inspires you!!! , I am changing the gauges, I like them, but are to big, and installing a vey small fairing, photos coming soon....
  • Monterrey Mexico
  • K1 1989, Kz 550 1981

Offline BRIDGE

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2016, 06:46:09 AM »
Lovely build! Though I'm on the fence as I love both K1's and Kafe racers, you have made it yours and to a great build quality, so it looks brilliant.

What did you use for the coolant reservoir? The placement and visuals of it look fantastic.

If you made it would you mind sharing your wizardry on how you did it, that would be amazing.
  • UK
  • 86 K100RS - Project KC

Offline cdrp

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2016, 08:47:06 AM »
Hi Bridge, thanks for your comments, regarding expansion thank, I made it from leftovers from my shop, it is a pice of 3" stainless sanitary tubbing, laser cut base, and a clear polycarbonate round lens with a   "O" ring, the light comes from a blue LED inside the thank,  on top is Tig welded a pice of 1" tubbing with a cover and two pneumatic connectors, in one the hose is troug, so it reaches under the coolant level and the other is a vent, also where the LED wires go, it works perfect and at night it looks radioactive!!!
  • Monterrey Mexico
  • K1 1989, Kz 550 1981

Offline BRIDGE

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2016, 04:29:23 PM »
Clever piece of ingenuity cdrp! I'll have to think of a way to try and replicate that as close as possible.

Amazing idea for the LED!
  • UK
  • 86 K100RS - Project KC

Offline cdrp

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2016, 09:29:01 PM »
Finally after a lot of electronics and wiring, the new instrument cluster for the K1 is working!!!, I used the original speedometer amplifier and the original gear indicator, (this is a good link for the gear indicator, , how to convert it to a Led display),  and a couple of burnt zener diodes and transistors, it is working, thanks to all of you that posted the required information, it really helped!!! I hope you like it, looks racer!!!
  • Monterrey Mexico
  • K1 1989, Kz 550 1981

Tags: