Author Topic: What do you guys think?  (Read 18210 times)

Offline pablooo

• ^ Motobrick Curious
What do you guys think?
« on: February 09, 2016, 02:36:01 AM »
Hello to all, this is my first forum post on here and although this is only my first post I have been researching k100's on here for quite a while. I figured this would be the best place to ask and post and hopefully got you guys opinion on what you guys think since it seems a lot of you are way more knowledgeable on the bike than me and just wanted to get opinions.

A family friend is selling his K100 with a clean title and 30k miles. He converted it to a somewhat cafe racer style which I actually quite like. He gave me first pick on it if I wanted it as I told him I've always been interested in it. He's asking $6500 for it which I believe is a bit too much. He says he has paid a little over $4000 in just the parts not including the bike itself. I will list the things he's said he's done to it. I would only change a few minor things and it seems like everything from the spline and everything maintenance wise is good. This will be a daily as I've been on a dually for a while and wanted to add something like this to the garage.

Here are the things that have been done to it with records to go with it.
New custom aluminum cafe racer seat
New black seat upholstery
New OEM fuel pump and fuel filter
New LED blue halo ring headlight
New headlight mounts
New 4hole spray fuel injectors
New michelin Tires
New clip on handlebars
New tomasseli grips
New carbon fiber BMW emblems
New tail light and turn signal combo
New LED blue light markers
New mirrors ( not installed )
New Garmin GPS unit
New Kedge GPS mount
New BMW valve stems (not installed)
New light charcoal grey paint job on tank, seat and front fender professionally done at a local auto-body shop
New custom shaped front fender
New maintenance free  super start battery
New semi gloss black engine enamel paint job
Tune up- including new spark plugs, engine oil and filter, gear oil, antifreeze, new air filter and bake fluid.
New custom stainless steel exhaust system

I've attached a few pics as well. Do you think 6500 is a fair price or how much should I try and buy it for? Opinions and everything are appreciated! 
  • Austin, Tx
  • BMW K100, FZ-07

Offline The Mighty Gryphon

• Administrator
  • ^ Quintessential Motobricker
Re: What do you guys think?
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2016, 10:35:42 AM »
This is strictly my opinion, you will probably hear others. 

That is a very nice looking bike, but the unfortunate thing about cafe bikes is that you can never get your costs out of them.  Your friend is asking about twice what I think the bike is worth on a very good day.  I consider them to be a fad that when it finally runs it's course will result in a plethora of parts bikes to keep the mechanicals of the remaining stock bricks alive for another couple of decades.

Bottom line, you should offer $2500 or walk away.   If he is a good friend, I would walk away.
  • In my garage in Marilla, NY
  • '91K100RS White/Blue
Current:
'91 K100RS16V "Moby Brick Too"

Past:
'94 K75RT "Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS"
'92 K100RS16V "Moby Brick" (RIP, deceased in a vehicular assault)
'94 K75S Special Edition Dakar Yellow "Cheetos"
'89 K100RS Special Edition "Special Ed"

Offline F14CRAZY

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2016, 11:13:19 AM »
Yeah that's the thing...they're not worth much regardless of how much money is put into them, less it's like a high profile build by some shop. It would be worth more with that many miles in stock condition if it was still in nice cosmetic shape.

You probably don't want to insult your buddy so I'd walk away. But as Gryph said it's probably worth $2500
  • Grand Rapids, MI
  • '87 K75C
'87 K75C w/ Pichler V1 fairing. LED's, CATZ driving lights, Audiovox cruise, LT top case, tons of other mods by Drake...

Offline Donmystic1

• ^ Proficient Motobricker
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2016, 11:18:45 AM »
You will probably be the last owner of the bike. It will be very difficult to sell down the line.
  • Mystic, CT
  • 1985 K100, 1985 K100RS, 1986 K100RS Turbo,1985 K100RT

Offline tsnap

• recovering Polygacyclist, juvenile polycyclic disease
  • Retired Unprofessional Whacko Driver
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2016, 11:45:50 AM »
I think that the reason I see so many in KC is because the dealer is here.

Who got that nice red one in texas last month?

Are you7 ded set on a k1oo?

https://kansascity.craigslist.org/mcy/5438054823.html

tom
  • Kirksville, MO
  • K1k1100 Radar Sloth1994 48K ABSII no shame wall 4 me
just plain tom, he is a dirt mean man

Offline Laitch

• Faster than a speeding pullet
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2016, 12:21:27 PM »
There's no "fair price" for a toy or a work of  art.

Bargain with him until one of you drops out. It takes guts and diplomacy, and money to bargain and win. If you really want this piece, show up with money, a truck and a trailer to haul the bike then start negotiations. Just don't expect the same price if you resell it.
  • Along the Ridley in Vermont.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles
I wept because I had no radials until I met a man who had no splines.
https://tinyurl.com/RillRider

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2016, 01:48:42 PM »
Geez, looking at the comments, I hope we haven't scared him away.  While this bike doesn't look like a really good deal, that's not to say that bricks aren't the best value on two wheels today.

Tell me... please.   Where else can you find a bike that is comfortable, handles well, looks good in a retro kind of way, is fairly easy to work on, carries one of the hippest marques around today, that will reliably run for something like 200,000+ miles?

All for less than $3000(sometimes a lot less).
  • '91K100RS White/Blue
Current:

Past:

Offline riots100

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2016, 02:42:21 PM »
Something I learned early on, "you will never get out of a custom bike what you put into it."
  • Los Angeles, CA
  • 1992 K75, 2007 K1200GT, 1991 K100RS
----
BDJ

Offline pablooo

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2016, 02:56:00 PM »
Thanks you all for the comments! This is the reason I posted on this forum because I knew you guys would give me good opinions.

I am really leaning towards a k100 so I'm positive about that. Like you guys said though, it obviously is way overpriced and he seemed quite adamant about the price. So because we're good friends I think I will just leave it be, offer him up what you guys said and keep searching if he says no. I'm hoping to get one by the end of the month so I still have some time to keep searching. If all else fails, it seems like I'll just purchase one myself and make it into exactly what I want.
  • Austin, Tx
  • BMW K100, FZ-07

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2016, 04:17:45 PM »
Please be careful offering him $2500.  He undoubtedly has a lot of time besides the money in this bike and your offer will probably offend him.  Better to just say that although the bike is really nice there is no way your budget of $2500 can even begin to cover it.

If you are really into a custom bike there should be no problem finding a K100 well under $2000.
  • '91K100RS White/Blue
Current:

Past:

Offline kris

• ^ SuperNatural Motobricker
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2016, 04:42:40 PM »
Absolutely right on all of the above. My first thought  was that the guy must have $3,500 worth of Armor All on it. Yikes. And it should look a lot better than that for the kind of dough he's asking. Gryph gave you the right advice. Let the open market dictate the sale price. Better that it's not you. If he learns that it is more likely a $2,500 to $3,000 proposition maybe he'd rather sell it to a friend. It's worth if it's worth it TO YOU, but forget about resale.
You can't really pay a guy for the retail parts, blood, sweat and tears he puts into his beast....but he probably shouldn't have taken it in that direction in the first place (commercially speaking).
  • In The Hammer!! Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
  • 1986 K100RT (Heinz) 2004 Kawasaki Concours (Eddy) 2007 Moto Guzzi Breva 1100 (Linda) Previous: 1968 Honda CD175 1973 Kawasaki S2350 1975 Honda CB550K
"I got bike fever bad!!"

Offline Elipten

What do you guys think?
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2016, 06:04:37 PM »
One never gets the money out and any value for sweat equity put into a custom project.  It would have to be a super custom that somebody really wants for that to happen.  The market is small for finding someone that wants your custom as they have their own tastes what a custom should be.  Sad but that is reality.  He wants too much IMHO when for that money you can buy a new fuel injected bike with warranty or a lightly used CB1100 or others. 

Pass, see how he does on the sale price.  Never get emotional about buying things or building them.  I like looking at these cafe projects but for my age and type of riding not for me.
  • San Antonio, TX
  • 1990 K75RT

Offline K1300S

« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2016, 06:17:22 PM »
maybe a dumb question as I am not a "café" guy.
what part of having basically a flat square piece of plywood as a seat is comfortable or even rideable?  ouch! ;-)

Project Thread "K75s Midlife Refresh"
http://www.motobrick.com/index.php/topic,7810.0.html

Offline Laitch

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2016, 06:41:18 PM »
maybe a dumb question as I am not a "café" guy.
what part of having basically a flat square piece of plywood as a seat is comfortable or even rideable?  ouch! ;-)
The padded part that should be on top of it.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles

Offline Laitch

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2016, 07:10:16 PM »
Pass, see how he does on the sale price.  Never get emotional about buying things or building them.
Follow Elipten's advice.
Why don't you go up to Grand Prairie and make a day of it looking at this one, pablooo?
http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/mcy/5399539773.html

Your profile says you already have a K100. What's wrong with it?
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles

Offline pablooo

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2016, 07:15:47 PM »
I am really leaning towards a k100 so I'm positive about that.
Why don't you go up to Grand Prairie and make a day of it looking at this one, pablooo?
http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/mcy/5399539773.html

Your profile says you already have a K100. What's wrong with it?

I actually contacted him today about it and it seems like he still has it. I will hopefully try and make a trip up there this weekend.
  • Austin, Tx
  • BMW K100, FZ-07

Offline TrueAce

« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2016, 09:17:16 PM »
My 10-4 to the Gryph comments & others. What he spent to create his concept is the price you pay for personal obsession, and has no correlation to value. Market value of a running K100 is very much dependent on geographical location, condition, mileage, and history. That he has transformed it from stock actually decreases the market of buyers. Cafes, and I am a rider,too, are over. This is a $3000 exit strategy for your friend, and you will be lucky to find a future buyer. But first, have you even road the bike? Granted it looks cool, but you will find a ride of any distance greater than 30 miles will not be comfortable.
  • Florida
  • '85 K100GS, '85 K100RSSC,', '94 K1100RS,'10 S1000rr,'14 Ural Sidecar, '15 R Nine T

Offline pablooo

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2016, 09:20:50 PM »
My 10-4 to the Gryph comments & others. What he spent to create his concept is the price you pay for personal obsession, and has no correlation to value. Market value of a running K100 is very much dependent on geographical location, condition, mileage, and history. That he has transformed it from stock actually decreases the market of buyers. Cafes, and I am a rider,too, are over. This is a $3000 exit strategy for your friend, and you will be lucky to find a future buyer. But first, have you even road the bike? Granted it looks cool, but you will find a ride of any distance greater than 30 miles will not be comfortable.

Yeah, as much as I like it, I figured that he was asking a but too much and I just wanted to confirm it here. I have ridden the bike before but I am in austin and it'll be my commuter for work. I enjoy the looks and don't really mind if it isn't the most comfortable thing in the world as my job is only about 7 miles away and pretty much everything is in a 10 mile radius.
  • Austin, Tx
  • BMW K100, FZ-07

Offline TrueAce

« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2016, 09:58:40 PM »
It's a Head-Turner, for sure, and would be fun to own. Maybe your friend needs your base offer and then test his expectation by advertising it for a bit to see what others would offer. It would be interesting to get your follow-up on how this plays out. Good luck in your quest.
  • Florida
  • '85 K100GS, '85 K100RSSC,', '94 K1100RS,'10 S1000rr,'14 Ural Sidecar, '15 R Nine T

Offline johnny

• TrailBrakingThrottleWhacker
  • Whacking...n...Chopping Sliding...n...High Siding
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2016, 10:26:56 AM »
i give 65 hunnits if the battery was black...
  • :johnny i parks my 96 eleven hundert rs motobrick in dodge county cheezconsin  :johnny

Offline tsnap

« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2016, 11:01:48 AM »
nice k100 LT in kc, for $2500, or a minivan
https://kansascity.craigslist.org/mcy/5441728566.html

tom
  • Kirksville, MO

Offline F14CRAZY

« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2016, 11:51:52 AM »
nice k100 LT in kc, for $2500, or a minivan
https://kansascity.craigslist.org/mcy/5441728566.html

tom

I'd like to know more about the Huyabusa shock. That may be a better/cheaper option for us
  • Grand Rapids, MI
  • '87 K75C
'87 K75C w/ Pichler V1 fairing. LED's, CATZ driving lights, Audiovox cruise, LT top case, tons of other mods by Drake...

Offline tsnap

« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2016, 12:34:55 PM »
Im sure he speaks BMW. :oldguy: :beer:
  • Kirksville, MO

Offline tsnap

« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2016, 01:01:09 PM »
i emailed him for details on the shock.

tom
  • Kirksville, MO

Offline Chaos

• Administrator
  • Mars needs women!
« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2016, 01:20:19 PM »
If I had the photoshop patience to rake the forks this could be a $50k cafe-chopper.  As is some sucker would pay just for the decal and loud pipes.   :neener:
  • sw ohio
1987 K75S    VIN 0231
Original owner, Original litter
200,000 miles (plus or minus) and 5 paint jobs
sold 6/23
2023 Ural 2WD sidecar (BMW's bastard step child)

Tags: