Author Topic: Why I love where I live 4 hour ride Part 1  (Read 27053 times)

Offline Martin

• ^ Quintessential Motobricker
Why I love where I live 4 hour ride Part 1
« on: February 08, 2016, 12:37:56 AM »
I decided to go for a ride today, and take some photos, I went up to the Bellthorpe Range Rd  a nice windy ride and on to Caloundra Beach. All photo's are in order, shot of Centenary Lakes, D'aguilar Pub, and a couple of the newish lane markings ( looks like a motorbike lane in the middle of the road).
  • North Lakes Queensland Australia
  • 1992 K75s Hybrid, Lefaux, Vespa V twin.

Offline Martin

Re: Why I love where I live 4 hour ride Part 2
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2016, 12:48:57 AM »
You can't use the Bellthorpe Range Rd when School buses are using it very narrow in places, a few motorcyclists have come to grief ( I wont use it in the wet ). Tried to get some shots of how windy it is but unable to pull over where the best shot could be taken. The rocks covered in wire is to stop land slip, the road was out of action for a long time. The shot from the top is the Glass house Mountains made by giant prehistoric Moles or the remains of the inner parts of Volcanoes you decide.

Offline Laitch

• Faster than a speeding pullet
  • Administrator
Re: Why I love where I live 4 hour ride Part 1
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2016, 01:02:40 AM »
Is undertaking still permitted, Martin?

Nice photos. I appreciate members' photos of their territory and the places they visit. You seem to live in beautiful, well-stewarded place. I was sort of expecting some pith helmets floating on quicksand and toothy, multicolored critters scampering through derelict buildings overgrown with vines. The tower of lethal circular flails in your other post did add some ominous balance though, and then, you added your second batch here. That's more like it. :2thumbup:
  • Along the Ridley in Vermont.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles
I wept because I had no radials until I met a man who had no splines.
https://tinyurl.com/RillRider

Offline Martin

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2016, 01:07:07 AM »
Photo of what used to be the Ettamogah Pub like it is now, and a shot of before he lost the rights to the name. The original pub is in Victoria and was based on cartoons done by Ken Maynard. I used to live in the area he operated out of and he did a lot of the little country businesses and pubs. Shot of Deepwater point Caloundra.

Offline Laitch

• Faster than a speeding pullet
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2016, 01:09:31 AM »
When's that pub open?
  • Along the Ridley in Vermont.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles
I wept because I had no radials until I met a man who had no splines.
https://tinyurl.com/RillRider

Offline Martin

Re: Why I love where I live 4 hour ride Part 4
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2016, 01:13:42 AM »
Caloundra looking across to North end of Bribie Island, Bike wash in Caloundra, and more of Caloundra.

Offline Martin

Re: Why I love where I live 4 hour ride Part 5
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2016, 01:40:59 AM »
Giant prehistoric Mole hill, and home, ride took 4 hours exactly and never had to use the same road twice. Pub is open every day but not as good as it used to be.Multi coloured critters are extremely camera shy, and undertaking is permitted on multi laned roads. I am glad you like the flails imagine what they are like when the wind gets up. I also wonder who came up with the idea and how much insurance the Council has. You have got to love it here plus there is no snow.
Regards Martin

Offline The Mighty Gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2016, 12:21:35 PM »
No palm trees Martin, but the sun was shining when I rolled out for a couple hours in the saddle to get a pint and a steak sandwich in early February.
  • In my garage in Marilla, NY
  • '91K100RS White/Blue
Current:
'91 K100RS16V "Moby Brick Too"

Past:
'94 K75RT "Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS"
'92 K100RS16V "Moby Brick" (RIP, deceased in a vehicular assault)
'94 K75S Special Edition Dakar Yellow "Cheetos"
'89 K100RS Special Edition "Special Ed"

Offline Martin

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2016, 12:32:53 PM »
 Jim 18 years ago when we bought our first house in Queensland it came with a garden package pre done. I went mad and pulled out all the Gum trees and replaced them with Palms. Gum trees although very Australian reek havoc dropping leaves in the pool ( or Ice Rink in your case ) and gutters. We have since down sized, no kids all gone and not one Palm. :dunno
Regards Martin

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2016, 05:15:50 PM »
Yeah, I'm doing the same thing here, only it's spruce trees that are getting out of hand.  Palm trees always make me think of going south for a holiday.  Sorry about my post, I thought I was in a general ride photo thread.  You are lucky to live in such a beautiful part of the world.
  • '91K100RS White/Blue
Current:

Past:

Offline Martin

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2016, 06:13:33 PM »
Not wrong great place to live, we also have great places to ride really close. Long as you don't ride them on Sundays, unmarked Cop cars with cameras, including utes and vans and motorcycles. They blitz the popular mountain roads on a Sunday. They have even been known to bait motorcyclists in to passing over double lines by driving real slow.   I don't understand the apology, you can post on any of my posts at any time, love to hear the comments. I thought you might of commented on the yellow rings of death.
Regards Martin

Offline TrueAce

• ^ SuperNatural Motobricker
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2016, 06:26:08 PM »
Great pictures, Martin. Maybe we need to organize a K-Klub touring visit.......but then again, do ya'll ride on the wrong side of the road? Some of the boys might be confused!   
  • Florida
  • '85 K100GS, '85 K100RSSC,', '94 K1100RS,'10 S1000rr,'14 Ural Sidecar, '15 R Nine T

Offline Martin

« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2016, 06:40:08 PM »
If you look at the first lot of photos, at some of the new lane markings you can ride up the middle. Any time you want to go for a ride just email me. I need someone to ride with two mates have given up, and one mate is laid up.
Regards Martin. :riding:

Offline WayneDW

« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2016, 09:03:23 PM »
Translation please.  Is "overtaking not permitted" the same as "no passing" in American?   :bmwsmile
  • Minneapolis, MN, USA
  • 1992 K75RT

Offline Martin

« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2016, 09:26:55 PM »
 Wayne on a two or three lane Highway you can pass or undertake on the inside, or if someone is in the middle lane on a three lane Highway you can pass or overtake on both sides YEEEEHAAAA. Undertaking, overtaking and passing are the same. While we are on the subject of road rules, how does a four way stop work, we do not have them. We tend to have roundabouts with a give way to vehicles on your right rule. At a cross intersection with no give way or stop signs you give way to the vehicle on your right.
Regards Martin.

Offline TrueAce

« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2016, 09:31:03 PM »
Yeah, and undertaking is when the guy on the right doesn't yield to the motorcycle on the right!
  • Florida
  • '85 K100GS, '85 K100RSSC,', '94 K1100RS,'10 S1000rr,'14 Ural Sidecar, '15 R Nine T

Offline Martin

« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2016, 10:10:42 PM »
You got it, that's why I fitted a LED light bar and a 140 db  air horn. Queensland has only just introduced lane filtering at traffic lights, didn't that cheese the car drivers off for a while. Had a couple try to drag me off at the lights, others would try and close the gap at lights. I think the motorists have now realized it is legal and have settled down. We can also use both shoulders in traffic jams as long as we don't exceed 30 KPH and push bike lanes at traffic lights. And apparently they are looking at separate stop bars at lights for motorcycles, and footpath parking in the city for motorcycles.  Melbourne has had footpath parking since the seventies we are finally catching up.
Regards Martin :clap:

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2016, 10:29:59 PM »
One of the original roundabouts in this part of the country is in my village.  Rule has been "Yield to the vehicle in the Circle"  for as long as anyone can remember. 

At four way stops, vehicles go in the order they arrive; alternating streets if several are lined up on each street, or, if two should arrive simultaneously, the vehicle to the right has the right of way.

The rules of the road I would like explained are those that govern traffic in India.  I have no idea how the entire population of that country hasn't perished in traffic accidents.  No traffic controls, they drive on both sides of the road, and as far as I can tell use no turning signals.  Turns are made with abandon in front of oncoming traffic and with two cars on collision course one will always yield at the last possible instant, sometimes to the left, sometimes to the right.  Add in the pedestrians, animals, and push carts who seem to be oblivious to the autos and the confusion is total.
  • '91K100RS White/Blue
Current:

Past:

Offline Martin

« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2016, 12:08:39 AM »
Jim there you go, I didn't think they had roundabouts in the US, live & learn. Thanks for the explanation on the four way stops. With you on India how long do you reckon a Brick would last in that traffic.
Regards Martin.,

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2016, 10:45:18 AM »
The Enfields seem to do pretty well there.  The Indians did a pretty good job of copying them, right down to all the little foibles old British bikes are "famous" for.  You should read the testimonials on the Royal Enfield site.  They are hilarious, especially if you read them with an accent and that head wobble.  Talk about low expectations... 

"The petrol tank and the mudguard on my new Enfield fell off today, I am so in love with this fine machine"  Sanjay, Bangsalore.

Having said that, I'd love to have one.  It's a ticket straight back to 1952.
  • '91K100RS White/Blue
Current:

Past:

Offline Martin

« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2016, 12:36:22 PM »
I to have thought about getting an Enfield, but I have a history of old British & Italian and other obscure bikes. And while I remember the ownership fondly through rose coloured glasses, I am enough of a realist to not go down that path again. A mate of a mate had a Classic Enfield  which he has replaced with a new red GT. I admired the looks of both bikes especially the GT. But I also remember some of the problems and foibles of owning my earlier bikes. After having an absolutely brilliant run of ownership with my K75 of 17 years, it has never let me down. I think I'll stick with the Brick.
Regards Martin

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2016, 12:48:51 PM »
The attraction of the Enfield is the challenge of actually making it reliable.  On the other hand, it makes even a trip to the corner for a loaf of bread an adventure. 

What I recall the most of the ones I saw in India was the lovely mechanical clatter they made along with that vintage British exhaust note.  Of course that was in the 80's, and they may have changed in the meantime.
  • '91K100RS White/Blue
Current:

Past:

Offline Martin

« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2016, 01:08:57 PM »
Jim do you work for Enfield, you are really tempting me, can I get a discount for cash?
Lead me not into temptation deliver from Weevils Martin. :clap:

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2016, 01:28:17 PM »
No, but it could be a fun gig.  Lots of access to repair parts.  Every now and then I get the urge to find one, but I just lie down until it goes away.  Had a couple close calls a couple years ago when there was one for sale on the local Craig's List.
  • '91K100RS White/Blue
Current:

Past:

Offline Martin

« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2016, 01:42:06 PM »
You've seen the result of when I get strange urges and get bored the LeFaux, all though it was fun building it, and riding it. I think I better go lie down I am getting an urge to build or buy something weird. Images of Ural outfit , Enfield GT or a three wheeled LeFaux  Mk 2. You are a bad man Jim.
Deliver me from more Weevils Martin

Tags: