Author Topic: "Harley-Davidson's reputation as an 'old, white-guy brand' may be its downfall"  (Read 40290 times)

Offline Tuco

• Gone ridin' !
  • ^ Proficient Motobricker
  • Ready, Set, Go!
...Merkel?
  • Waldport, Oregon
  • '87 K100LT, '87 K100RS, '97 DR350

Offline Chaos

• Administrator
  • ^ Quintessential Motobricker
  • Mars needs women!
Ural.   Strangers come up to me and say "if everyone had one of those this would be a better world"  Even my mother in law like it and she hates everything.  And  I'm riding year round round now, all the guys in harley emblazoned PU trucks give thumbs up to the fool on the obsolete commie rig laughing his ass off in the snow!
  • sw ohio
1987 K75S    VIN 0231
Original owner, Original litter
200,000 miles (plus or minus) and 5 paint jobs
sold 6/23
2023 Ural 2WD sidecar (BMW's bastard step child)

Offline F14CRAZY

Now I want to put a big roundel with flames on the rear window of my Subaru. Not any worse than the HD tributes you see mostly on pickups.

A little weird when you see a lifted fullsize truck with Honda or Yamaha
  • Grand Rapids, MI
  • '87 K75C
'87 K75C w/ Pichler V1 fairing. LED's, CATZ driving lights, Audiovox cruise, LT top case, tons of other mods by Drake...

Offline bocutter Ed

• ^ SuperNatural Motobricker
got 2 BMW, 1 Yamaha, need a Honda, Ariel, Zundapp, Henderson, H-D, Hyosong, aprilia,KTM, BSA, Triumph,Kawasaki, Penton, Velocette, Ducati, Moto-guzzi, Ural, Dnepr, Moto Morini, Laverda, what did I leave out?

Hodaka, Puch (not the mops)
  • Toronto, Canada
  • '61 Puch DS60 - '66 Puch 250 SGS - '87 BMW K75s

Offline kris

How about a VanVeen? Dutch bike with Wankel (rotary) engine....a very rare bird, indeed.Saw one in Germany back in '76. Didn't make it, needless to say.

And Chaos....you put a smile on my face just looking at that picture! The Urals are intriguing. Saw a guy in my town riding one in winter....there was no snow at the time but he was equipped. The Urals don't seem to pretend to be anything but old school bikes for the rough and ready.  There is a  niche...

• In The Hammer!! Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
  • 1986 K100RT (Heinz) 2004 Kawasaki Concours (Eddy) 2007 Moto Guzzi Breva 1100 (Linda) Previous: 1968 Honda CD175 1973 Kawasaki S2350 1975 Honda CB550K
"I got bike fever bad!!"

Offline F14CRAZY

How about a VanVeen? Dutch bike with Wankel (rotary) engine....a very rare bird, indeed.Saw one in Germany back in '76. Didn't make it, needless to say.

And Chaos....you put a smile on my face just looking at that picture! The Urals are intriguing. Saw a guy in my town riding one in winter....there was no snow at the time but he was equipped. The Urals don't seem to pretend to be anything but old school bikes for the rough and ready.  There is a  niche...

I was reading a review on some heated gloves, Gerbing's I think...a reviewer in Alaska said the gloves were warm when on their Ural when its -47f  :riding: . That's F-ing cold but hey if you can stay warm why not?

People ask me how I do it when it's just below freezing
  • Grand Rapids, MI
  • '87 K75C
'87 K75C w/ Pichler V1 fairing. LED's, CATZ driving lights, Audiovox cruise, LT top case, tons of other mods by Drake...

Offline Laitch

• Faster than a speeding pullet
  • Administrator
  • Along the Ridley in Vermont.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles

Offline kris

Honey, I'm home. Guess what I bought today!!! .............thanks, Laitch, for digging that up. It's a nice looking bike. Would certainly be fun to at least ride one. But at $115,000 you can count me out. Don't think the Dutch will be conquering the bike world with that offering....it is, still, a neat part of motorcycle history.
  • In The Hammer!! Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
  • 1986 K100RT (Heinz) 2004 Kawasaki Concours (Eddy) 2007 Moto Guzzi Breva 1100 (Linda) Previous: 1968 Honda CD175 1973 Kawasaki S2350 1975 Honda CB550K
"I got bike fever bad!!"

Offline Tuco

• Gone ridin' !
  • Ready, Set, Go!
Pierce Arrow made a bike! Montesa. I can remember wanting a Hodaka pretty bad. Cant forget the Enfield!
  • Waldport, Oregon

Offline Martin

Try this I had one of eleven Ducati Mountaineers imported into Australia .Bought new from Pratts in Elizabeth St Melbourne.Delivered by a BMW fitted with a flat cargo chair.
Wish I still had it.
Regards Martin
  • North Lakes Queensland Australia
  • 1992 K75s Hybrid, Lefaux, Vespa V twin.

Offline Tuco

• Gone ridin' !
  • Ready, Set, Go!
What is a Duc mountaineer?
  • Waldport, Oregon

Offline Martin

1969 Ducati Mountaineer red & silver 100cc two stroke chrome plated bore, single seat with rear rack high exhaust. Hi lo ratio was engaged by splitting chain then undoing 4 bolts on the rear sprocket ,rotating large back sprocket and pulling out.You then did up the bolts, and removed a short piece of chain from your tool box and added it to the chain.it also came equipped with Ceat knobbies and a bicycle type tyre pump complete with Ducati logo.I rode it once during a rainstorm 406 km from Albury in NSW to Mt Martha in Victoria with no goggles and no wet weather gear,fell asleep and ran off the the road into an irrigation channel , took me 1/2 hour to drag it up the channel wall .I'd drag it up 3 feet and slide back two nearly froze to death.the follies of youth, my first registered bike at 17. I've only seen one other and that was the road version called a Cadet in the now closed Haigslea Motorcycle Museum.I had a pretty good Ducati book by Alan Cathcart and the Mountaineer does not get a mention.
Regards Martin
  • North Lakes Queensland Australia
  • 1992 K75s Hybrid, Lefaux, Vespa V twin.

Offline F14CRAZY

I was browsing ebay for a riding suit for my wife and this popped up on the right side...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Harley-Davidson-Top-Passage-Black-Leather-Size-6/231671442042?_trksid=p2045573.c100034.m2102&_trkparms=aid%3D555012%26algo%3DPW.MBE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D20131003150253%26meid%3Db4acd6637ceb4f228902a57113f686ea%26pid%3D100034%26rk%3D5%26rkt%3D8%26sd%3D281870796159

...I mean those leather vests that Harley guys wear are gonna provide close to zero meaningful crash protection so this makes sense for ladies. Then again if my wife would wear it I'd switch to the dark side  :falldown:
  • Grand Rapids, MI
  • '87 K75C

Offline HYPERR

• ^ Motobrick Curious
I was browsing ebay for a riding suit for my wife and this popped up on the right side...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Harley-Davidson-Top-Passage-Black-Leather-Size-6/231671442042?_trksid=p2045573.c100034.m2102&_trkparms=aid%3D555012%26algo%3DPW.MBE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D20131003150253%26meid%3Db4acd6637ceb4f228902a57113f686ea%26pid%3D100034%26rk%3D5%26rkt%3D8%26sd%3D281870796159

...I mean those leather vests that Harley guys wear are gonna provide close to zero meaningful crash protection so this makes sense for ladies. Then again if my wife would wear it I'd switch to the dark side  :falldown:

Usually women that I see riding on back of Hardleys are a lot bigger than size 6s.... :yow
1995 K75S Arctic Silver

Offline F14CRAZY

Usually women that I see riding on back of Hardleys are a lot bigger than size 6s.... :yow

I have observed the same
  • Grand Rapids, MI
  • '87 K75C

Offline jensk

• ^ Motobrick Curious
what did I leave out?

You left out the Nimbus type C aka bumblebee. The true predecessor of the K-bikes = 750cm, 4 cyl inline longitudinal with dry clutch and shaft drive. BMW copi'ed the Nimbus Type C with the engine turned 90 degrees down. BMW even copied the location of the ingnition key :hehehe
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nimbus_%28motorcycle%29

The Danish Nimbus tref:

• Copenhagen, Denmark
  • '93 K75RT
Past: Honda CB550K3, Honda CB550F, Matchless G80 and a couple of MZ's

Offline riverguy9

• Curious
I can't get enough of motorcycles. The only thing stopping me from being a mechanic is that I don't want to ruin my favorite hobby: working on my bikes. So I ended up being a Chef lol.

Good decision. My favorite hobby was ham radio (mostly building stuff), right up until I got my first "real" job, as an engineer in a two-way radio factory (RCA, Meadowlands, Pa). It was a fantastic education, but ruined amateur radio for me for the next 40 years. Wouldn't want to do that with my beloved motorcycles.

--Greg

Offline johnny

• TrailBrakingThrottleWhacker
  • Whacking...n...Chopping Sliding...n...High Siding
separation anxiety of the lifestyle rider...

One killed, one injured during hostage situation in Neenah

By Cary Spivak, Bruce Vielmetti and Breann Schossow of the Journal Sentinel Updated: 8:26 p.m.

EMAIL PRINT

One person was killed and a police officer wounded Saturday during a hostage situation at a Neenah motorcycle shop.

After most of the hostages were released, one person inside the shop exited with a gun and was shot by police when he ignored demands to drop it, and died later, said Police Chief Kevin Wilkinson. He noted that investigators were still trying to sort out a confusing situation.

During a Saturday night news conference, Wilkinson would not identify the victim, the injured officer or a second suspect, who surrendered after a four-hour standoff involving hostages at Eagle Nation Cycle.

Wilkinson said the officer, who was wearing protective armor and helmet as he entered the business as part of a team trying to free the hostages, was shot in the helmet, which deflected what could have been a deadly shot. The officer was treated at a hospital and released.

The shooting of the one suspect and surrender of the other came after the attempt to free the hostages.

"Eventually, the hostages were released, after negotiations," Wilkinson said. "The subject did come out and was taken into custody."

The attorney for one of the businesses owners said a man entered about 9 a.m. demanding the return of a motorcycle he had sold to another person, who in turn had brought it to the shop for some repairs.

Neenah Mayor Dean Kaufert said the suspect had fired about 30 shots. Wilkinson said he couldn't estimate the total number of rounds fired between the suspect and police, and possibly another person inside the business.

He said the matter would be reviewed by the state Division of Criminal Investigation, which investigates officer-involved shootings.

More than 70 officers from more than a dozen agencies responded to the incident, Wilkinson said.

When police learned hostages were taken, the SWAT team was activated.

The standoff was prompted by a man who changed his mind about selling his motorcycle, a Green Bay lawyer and friend of the owner of Eagle Nation Cycles told the Journal Sentinel. Cole White, pieced together this version of events based on texts and calls Steven Erato sent as he hid in the basement of the shop:

Erato was working on motorcycle Saturday when he heard a commotion and saw an intruder firing shots. Erato went to the basement. At 9:31 he texted White, "We have an active shooter situation going on at eagle nation. I am hiding in the basement"

White said the gunman had sold a motorcycle to another person, who brought it to Eagle Nation for repairs. The original owner wanted it back, he said.

"This this guy came to the shop because he wanted his bike back," White said, stressing that his information was secondhand. "He wanted the money and the bike ... These people (at Eagle Nation) had nothing to do with the transaction."

Erato was not injured, White said.
  • :johnny i parks my 96 eleven hundert rs motobrick in dodge county cheezconsin  :johnny

Offline Tuco

• Gone ridin' !
  • Ready, Set, Go!
I think all the manufacturers need to build what motorcyclists want. The only new bikes that made me turn my head at the recent bike show was a Yam SR400 and I really liked the KTM ISDT 525EXC. Other than that I'm not sure who is buying these new bikes?
  • Waldport, Oregon

Offline TrueAce

I agree.....too much angular plastic that morps into sameness. The RNineT stood out in 2014, as did the S1000rr in 2010, but too me most all Jap bikes have an undifferentiated sameness. Ducati & KTM have distinctive styling, but what about the other 95% of the market? "Sameness" and expensive are the chacteristics of the motorcycle market today....maybe why the appeal of customization. Does anyone have a sub-$10,000 motorcycle they would buy today, funds not an issue? I'm hard pressed to name one.
  • Florida
  • '85 K100GS, '85 K100RSSC,', '94 K1100RS,'10 S1000rr,'14 Ural Sidecar, '15 R Nine T

Offline F14CRAZY

I agree.....too much angular plastic that morps into sameness. The RNineT stood out in 2014, as did the S1000rr in 2010, but too me most all Jap bikes have an undifferentiated sameness. Ducati & KTM have distinctive styling, but what about the other 95% of the market? "Sameness" and expensive are the chacteristics of the motorcycle market today....maybe why the appeal of customization. Does anyone have a sub-$10,000 motorcycle they would buy today, funds not an issue? I'm hard pressed to name one.

I'd take G650 GS. Or a couple Kawasaki KLR's
  • Grand Rapids, MI
  • '87 K75C

Offline Tom B

• Motobrick Curious
Harley Davidson realizes the future and will be targeting the new young riders with their electric "motorcycle". I expect BMW to follow suit. In my opinion BMW riders would be more likely to endorse electric motorcycles once the battery range triples, and it is able to be quickly recharged.
  • Greensboro, MD
  • 1995 K750, 2012 K1600GTL

Tags: