Author Topic: "Harley-Davidson's reputation as an 'old, white-guy brand' may be its downfall"  (Read 40182 times)

Offline Kyle10

• ^ Motobrick Curious
Ha! They actually have the bike come with a 'jet turbine inspired' whine. Not kidding...

1985 K100rt
1983 Honda VF750F

98% of all Harleys ever sold are still on the road.
The other 2% made it home.

Offline kris

• ^ SuperNatural Motobricker
Kinda sad that we define ourselves by these things....stuff made by other people and spun to us with a variety of messages. I bought my Kawi because I thought it would be a good bike to own to re-introduce myself to motorcycling after a 35 year hiatus. The Japanese brands are reliable, if not a little common. No great sin there. And Eddy (my Concours...named after my Mom) has not disappointed. A great bike that does a lot of things well. Incidentally, my first bike was a '73 Kawi 350 triple...wish I still had her.  I was still drawn, however, to these funny looking BMW K-bikes. An airhead never came into the equation...it was going to be a K75 or K100.  It was really a question of aesthetics and being impressed with the history of the introduction of this unique engine format. My bike will be 30 years old this year (2016). I'm almost twice her age, but feel like half of that. I love being on both bikes and assume my fellow bikers, regardless of brand, feel the same way. So as much as manufacturers would like to divide and conquer this bike-riding population, I say enjoy all of them! Mix and match, buy a sell, buy and keep....whatever your spouse will bear! Just get out and ride. Most will wave back, but not all. Most will happily chat about their machines, but not all. Don't be afraid to compliment someone on their bike of choice....always a nice ice-breaker.

Happy trails!
  • In The Hammer!! Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
  • 1986 K100RT (Heinz) 2004 Kawasaki Concours (Eddy) 2007 Moto Guzzi Breva 1100 (Linda) Previous: 1968 Honda CD175 1973 Kawasaki S2350 1975 Honda CB550K
"I got bike fever bad!!"

Offline beemrdon

• ^ Proficient Motobricker
Kyle10 - Good points, all.
  • The South West... best motorcycling in the US! Longest riding season = 12 months per year
  • 1996 K1100 LT SE, Aspen Silver - Now with 159,xxx miles.

Offline Kyle10

• ^ Motobrick Curious
Thanks, Don. Appreciated.
1985 K100rt
1983 Honda VF750F

98% of all Harleys ever sold are still on the road.
The other 2% made it home.

Offline Tuco

• Gone ridin' !
  • Ready, Set, Go!
I've ridden just about everything between BMW and Zundapp! Anybody got an Ariel?
  • Waldport, Oregon
  • '87 K100LT, '87 K100RS, '97 DR350

Offline HYPERR

• ^ Motobrick Curious
Speaking of bad-ass, I'm sure most of us have seen that television ad for the CanAm Spyder with the shots of the guy riding it trying to look bad-ass or something, but mostly something.  Made we cringe.  Bad-ass can only be done on H-D or vintage Brit.

I have to disagree on this.  There are lots of bikes that are bad ass other than the ones you mentioned.  IMO a bike like the Kawasaki H1 Mach III is far more bad ass than any Harley could ever be.   I don't see how today's Harley is bad ass at all; it's a 2 wheel equivalent of a Buick with clientele to match.  Harley's bad ass days ended when they stopped making the shovel.  As for the Vintage Brit bikes, yes they are totally cool!   :2thumbup:
1995 K75S Arctic Silver

Offline beemrdon

The bikes aren't bad ass in and of themselves. But guess which brand all of the meth makers/dealers ride? Which brand of ride, bikers regularly gang-fight and sometimes kill each other over drug turf and other illicit activities? Guess which brand of bike has by far the most riders in prison? Yes and there are plenty of dentists and retired lawyers riding HD's that want to look the part as well. That's the Harley legacy.
Want a Harley?
  • The South West... best motorcycling in the US! Longest riding season = 12 months per year

Offline Tuco

• Gone ridin' !
  • Ready, Set, Go!
Who cares, ride what you like and don't worry about anybody else.
  • Waldport, Oregon

Offline The Mighty Gryphon

• Administrator
  • ^ Quintessential Motobricker
Speaking of bad-ass, I'm sure most of us have seen that television ad for the CanAm Spyder with the shots of the guy riding it trying to look bad-ass or something, but mostly something.  Made we cringe.  Bad-ass can only be done on H-D or vintage Brit.

I have to disagree on this.  There are lots of bikes that are bad ass other than the ones you mentioned.  IMO a bike like the Kawasaki H1 Mach III is far more bad ass than any Harley could ever be.   I don't see how today's Harley is bad ass at all; it's a 2 wheel equivalent of a Buick with clientele to match.  Harley's bad ass days ended when they stopped making the shovel.  As for the Vintage Brit bikes, yes they are totally cool!   :2thumbup:

I think you missed my point.  I wasn't talking about badass bikes, but people who buy a bike to be a badass.  You know, the guys who wear "colors" and do stuff like throw kegs through the windshields of cop cars.  These are the guys who are often referred to as "pirates".  The Can Am Spyder ad had this guy who looked like he was trying to cop some of that vibe or something like Can Am was trying to pitch a little of the outlaw vibe.  It was kind of creepy in a weird way.  At least it was to me.
  • In my garage in Marilla, NY
  • '91K100RS White/Blue
Current:
'91 K100RS16V "Moby Brick Too"

Past:
'94 K75RT "Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS"
'92 K100RS16V "Moby Brick" (RIP, deceased in a vehicular assault)
'94 K75S Special Edition Dakar Yellow "Cheetos"
'89 K100RS Special Edition "Special Ed"

Offline Tuco

• Gone ridin' !
  • Ready, Set, Go!
My point is that it hasn't changed in decades so why even bring it up. Lets talk about our bikes, what mods you've made etc. Why a K75S looks so good etc.Where you want to ride next, what is next on your bike wish list.
  • Waldport, Oregon

Offline beemrdon

I guess. But this topic reminds me of an old line  I heard somewhere...What's the difference between a Hoover and a Harley?... The position of the dirt bag.   
                                                                                     :yow

Offline HYPERR

• ^ Motobrick Curious

I think you missed my point.  I wasn't talking about badass bikes, but people who buy a bike to be a badass.  You know, the guys who wear "colors" and do stuff like throw kegs through the windshields of cop cars.  These are the guys who are often referred to as "pirates".  The Can Am Spyder ad had this guy who looked like he was trying to cop some of that vibe or something like Can Am was trying to pitch a little of the outlaw vibe.  It was kind of creepy in a weird way.  At least it was to me.

Ok I kind of see what you are saying I think...

The thing is, most of these posers that try to look like badasses look like fools because they can't pull off the look.  Especially those choppers things; the bikes themselves may look bad ass in its own weird way but the fact of the matter is, no human being actually look good on it with its ridiculous gyno-chair seating position and their armpits exposed with the ape hangers.     :hehehe

One guy that did totally pull off the bad ass look on a Harley was Arnold on the Fat Boy in Terminator 2.   
1995 K75S Arctic Silver

Offline Martin

If everyone liked and rode the same thing you would only have one bike,extremely boring.Ride what you like, and respect other peoples choices.You need diversity.
Regards Martin
  • North Lakes Queensland Australia
  • 1992 K75s Hybrid, Lefaux, Vespa V twin.

Offline Tuco

• Gone ridin' !
  • Ready, Set, Go!
So I need to buy more bikes is how I translate that?
  • Waldport, Oregon

Offline HYPERR

• ^ Motobrick Curious
So I need to buy more bikes is how I translate that?

Yes that's the right attitude!   :clap:
1995 K75S Arctic Silver

• Administrator
Yup, it's called Kpox.
  • '91K100RS White/Blue
Current:

Past:

Offline Tuco

• Gone ridin' !
  • Ready, Set, Go!
got 2 BMW, 1 Yamaha, need a Honda, Ariel, Zundapp, Henderson, H-D, Hyosong, aprilia,KTM, BSA, Triumph,Kawasaki, Penton, Velocette, Ducati, Moto-guzzi, Ural, Dnepr, Moto Morini, Laverda, what did I leave out?
  • Waldport, Oregon

Offline Martin

Everyone needs more bikes.
Regards Martin
  • North Lakes Queensland Australia
  • 1992 K75s Hybrid, Lefaux, Vespa V twin.

Offline Elipten

• ^ SuperNatural Motobricker
A Norton.
  • San Antonio, TX
  • 1990 K75RT

• Administrator
Greeves
  • '91K100RS White/Blue
Current:

Past:

Offline Tuco

• Gone ridin' !
  • Ready, Set, Go!
Yeah, what he said. A Norton
  • Waldport, Oregon

Offline Tuco

• Gone ridin' !
  • Ready, Set, Go!
Reeves, haven't seen one since I saw that Bultaco and an Ossa on the same day
  • Waldport, Oregon

• Administrator
Greeves, Bultaco, and Ossa on the same day.  Must have been an enduro museum.  Or a worm hole to 1969.
  • '91K100RS White/Blue
Current:

Past:

Offline Tuco

• Gone ridin' !
  • Ready, Set, Go!
I was a wee lad, the place was Rocky Butte on the east side of Portland, before they put in the I205 freeway
  • Waldport, Oregon

Offline Laitch

• Faster than a speeding pullet
  • Administrator
what did I leave out?
A Brough Superior.
  • Along the Ridley in Vermont.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles
I wept because I had no radials until I met a man who had no splines.
https://tinyurl.com/RillRider

Tags: