Author Topic: #3 Cause Of No Start -N- Electrical Whack ~ 4 Pin Under Tank Connector  (Read 9208 times)

Offline johnny

• TrailBrakingThrottleWhacker
  • ^ Quintessential Motobricker
  • Whacking...n...Chopping Sliding...n...High Siding
thats right... other than the battery and grounds... the 4 pin under tank connector is #3...

its under the tank... by the rear brake fluid resevoir... behind the right side cover...

unplug it... spray some electrical cleaner in there... then... spray some more electrical cleaner in there... i use deoxit d5 then f5... hardware store dielectric grease is prohibited... go getts you some yeeeeehaaaaa...

j o
  • :johnny i parks my 96 eleven hundert rs motobrick in dodge county cheezconsin  :johnny

Offline kbikeMIA

• Motobrick Curious
Re: 4 Pin Under Tank Connector #3 Cause Of No Start -N- Electrical Whack
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2016, 09:09:20 PM »
Johnny
Absolutely mystical revival for the electrics. I have been chasing bad start issues with the K75 since January. Cranked, started then everything was kind of half powered and dim. Suspects were fuel pump (read Ethanol) and starter relay. Did all 3 electrical whacks and let her set for a day, and made certain the battery was full go. The DeoxIT was hard to locate here in Miami, however found at the local guitar shop. The reverse the starter motor process and all, let sit for a day and gradually the dim bulb went to bright and crank it did. Its Magic!, as they say in Britain.

Bike is back and running thanks to Motobrick.com, again.

JS Miami
  • Miami Florida
  • 86 K75S, 2013 R1200R, 67 T100 Daytona, 68 BSA 441 Victor, 76 Honda CB400F

Offline Elipten

• ^ SuperNatural Motobricker
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2016, 11:19:41 PM »
I got to ask, Johnny why no dielectric grease?
  • San Antonio, TX
  • 1990 K75RT

Offline Scott_

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2016, 02:16:27 PM »

I smear mine with some dielectric grease to keep moisture out, after I've cleaned the contacts real good..... Same goes for my motronic connector. Clean it then water-proof it as much as possible.
  • My Garage
1995 K1100LT 0302044
1997 R1100RT ZC62149
2017 FLHTK Ultra Limited
1997 K1100LT 0302488 (R.I.P.)
"One who does not ask questions is ashamed to learn" Danish proverb

Offline Laitch

• Faster than a speeding pullet
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2016, 03:13:06 PM »
He must like the natural look—no greasy buildup.
  • Along the Ridley in Vermont.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles
I wept because I had no radials until I met a man who had no splines.
https://tinyurl.com/RillRider

Offline The Mighty Gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2016, 03:39:45 PM »
There are an awful lot of people who hear "dielectric" and correctly think "insulator".  Why would you want to put an insulator on something that is supposed to make an electrical connection???

Truth is that when a connection is made the grease film is displaced and what residual remains has little resistance to current flow. 

I don't know why the term dielectric is used.  As far as I know, almost all greases are non-conductive and could be referred to as dielectric.  Without knowing that much about the stuff, I would guess that the non-organic silicone base has no danger of breaking down into carbon which is conductive and could cause problems.

I have been using silicone grease for nearly 20 years now, and it has performed well in preventing contact corrosion and electrical problems in marine systems.  I can't see any reason why it wouldn't work as well on my bikes.
  • In my garage in Marilla, NY
  • '91K100RS White/Blue
Current:
'91 K100RS16V "Moby Brick Too"

Past:
'94 K75RT "Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS"
'92 K100RS16V "Moby Brick" (RIP, deceased in a vehicular assault)
'94 K75S Special Edition Dakar Yellow "Cheetos"
'89 K100RS Special Edition "Special Ed"

Offline billday

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2016, 08:40:59 PM »
My advice: Do not use dialectric grease on connectors like the ones on the instrument cluster or the ones at the Motronic "brain." Those connections rely on rather delicate spring-action geebers and a layer of grease can prevent the physical contact needed for an electrical connection. DAMHIK.
  • New York State, USA 10977
  • 1985 K100

Offline johnny

• TrailBrakingThrottleWhacker
  • Whacking...n...Chopping Sliding...n...High Siding
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2016, 08:51:41 PM »
greetings...

i use bacon grease on my motronic and all electric connectors including my ceramic h4 socket that i have wired with #6 thhn...

even use it on my tior beads...

j o

• :johnny i parks my 96 eleven hundert rs motobrick in dodge county cheezconsin  :johnny

Offline Elipten

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2016, 09:35:27 PM »
 Bacon grease?  Say it isn't so.  I figured weed butter.
  • San Antonio, TX
  • 1990 K75RT

Offline kbikeMIA

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2016, 09:37:18 PM »
Go Johnny go!
  • Miami Florida
  • 86 K75S, 2013 R1200R, 67 T100 Daytona, 68 BSA 441 Victor, 76 Honda CB400F

Offline Bill

• ^ Proficient Motobricker
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2016, 09:43:29 PM »
SXL or GXL is all I would trust in moto/auto apps.  The largest gauge wire required anywhere on a K bike would be 8 AWG [ main ground, power]
  • Sutton, Ontario, Canada
  • K100 LT
Current:  88 K100 LT

86 K100 R-?L?T parts collection in loose formation...

previous:
84 V45 Sabre
74 CB400
72 CB750

Offline Laitch

• Faster than a speeding pullet
  • Administrator
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2016, 09:52:13 PM »
including my ceramic h4 socket that i have wired with #6 thhn...
It's this kind of innovative thinking that's inspiring the next generation of easyout users.
  • Along the Ridley in Vermont.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles
I wept because I had no radials until I met a man who had no splines.
https://tinyurl.com/RillRider

Offline stokester

« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2016, 09:38:08 PM »
There are an awful lot of people who hear "dielectric" and correctly think "insulator".  Why would you want to put an insulator on something that is supposed to make an electrical connection???

Truth is that when a connection is made the grease film is displaced and what residual remains has little resistance to current flow. 

I don't know why the term dielectric is used.  As far as I know, almost all greases are non-conductive and could be referred to as dielectric.  Without knowing that much about the stuff, I would guess that the non-organic silicone base has no danger of breaking down into carbon which is conductive and could cause problems.

I have been using silicone grease for nearly 20 years now, and it has performed well in preventing contact corrosion and electrical problems in marine systems.  I can't see any reason why it wouldn't work as well on my bikes.

No wish to start an "oil thread" here with regards to dielectric grease but...

I've use silicone grease for many years on spark plug boots and in light bulb sockets to protect the electrics from moisture and use a special type of it (with PFTE) to lube the caliper slide pins on auto disc brakes.

Since working at a GM dealer I've been required to use a product called dielectric lubricant which IS NOT the same as dielectric grease.  The lubricant is used to "protect electrical terminals from moisture, oxidation, corrosion and ease the assembly of electrical connectors" while dielectric grease is used to "lubricate and seal spark plug boots and may be used as a weather strip lubricant.  We use the lubricant on the multi-pin connectors that have terminals subject to fretting which in today's vehicles can cause any number of problems.
  • Yorktown Virginia
  • '94 K75S Dakar Yellow - '93 K75S Seiden Blau - '91 R100RT Bermuda Blue- '78 R100S Smoke Red

Tags: