Author Topic: Olympia, WA to Motobrick.com HQ  (Read 24242 times)

Offline Laitch

• Faster than a speeding pullet
  • Administrator
  • ^ Quintessential Motobricker
Re: Olympia, WA to Motobrick.com HQ
« Reply #50 on: December 11, 2015, 11:54:27 AM »
Well done, Tim! Thanks.
  • Along the Ridley in Vermont.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles
I wept because I had no radials until I met a man who had no splines.
https://tinyurl.com/RillRider

Offline bugsinmyteeth

• Curious
« Reply #51 on: January 31, 2016, 01:55:30 PM »
Hi Tim, I'm new to motobrick and was looking though the site and saw photos of your trip...I have a bunch of questions about your bike and accessories. I have two K100RT's, one an 85 the other an 87. I would love to put aluminum tragkorbs and a luggage rack on my bike but I haven't found any one who makes them for this vintage bike...it looks as though you have them...older or custom or what? Thanks Mark
  • Greenfield MA
  • 85 K100RT

Offline TimTyler

• Adrninistrator
« Reply #52 on: January 31, 2016, 02:07:18 PM »
Hey, Mark.

You need the hard-to-find Hepco-Becker model # 650603 00 01. Or you could have a welder make a custom frame. I don't think there are other options.

The Hepco-Becker frames/racks are fairly well made but they have brazed joints (not welded) and the tubing is not as durable as today's frames from Touratech, etc. If I had to do it again I'd probably have a custom frame welded from stronger materials. Maybe start with a tragkorb frame that fits another bike and have it modified to fit your K? I've modified the HB rack with a heavy-duty 1/4" steel crossbeam in the back and I had triangle-shaped steel welded to reinforce the lower tube that connects to the footpeg brackets.

Here's how I started: http://www.motobrick.com/index.php?topic=3775.0

Offline johnny

• TrailBrakingThrottleWhacker
  • Whacking...n...Chopping Sliding...n...High Siding
« Reply #53 on: January 31, 2016, 04:21:30 PM »
ammo cans are less hipster and more interesting...
  • :johnny i parks my 96 eleven hundert rs motobrick in dodge county cheezconsin  :johnny

Offline TimTyler

• Adrninistrator
« Reply #54 on: January 31, 2016, 04:44:34 PM »
...ammo cans are less hipster and more interesting...

... and really heavy compared to aluminium.

Offline bugsinmyteeth

• Curious
« Reply #55 on: January 31, 2016, 05:04:37 PM »
Thanks Tim and Johnny, Very informative...I've investigated the H&B's and found that the internet was full of negative comments regarding fit...I have considered and am leaning towards a basic frame from tourtech and manufacturing my own mounting system for my bike...more fabrication...less riding!!!!
  • Greenfield MA
  • 85 K100RT

Offline The Mighty Gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #56 on: January 31, 2016, 07:46:19 PM »
Don't know how fancy you want to go, but here are a few ideas.  Way back in the 70's before the adventure bike thing a friend of mine outfitted a Yamaha XT500 to ride the Alaska Pipeline (which was still under construction) to Prudhoe Bay.  Having been cleaned out in a messy divorce he had to go pretty low rent.  Here's how he got the job done

Scrap chrome moly tube from his stock car days for a frame and a couple of green 5 gallon plastic jerry cans made a set of tragkorbs.  He cut the tops off and with a bit of trimming was able to put them over the body of the can.  A nylon strap held the can in the frame and the top on the can.  They were surprisingly waterproof, and lasted through 100,000 miles and every state but Hawaii, most of the Canadian provinces, and a trip to South America.  Two metal milk crates were mounted side by side on a home brew luggage rack and along with other stuff carried additional gas in metal cans.  The crash frame around the headlight had tie down points to carry his rolled up rain suit and other stuff.  The bike was pretty ugly(he joked that he could park anywhere he wanted and leave the key in it), but in two years of non-stop travel it never let him down.  Everything he needed to live for two years on the road fit on that bike.

Around 1979, at something like 105,000 miles, a Yamaha rep offered him any bike he wanted from their product line in exchange so they could strip his down and analyze the wear.
  • In my garage in Marilla, NY
  • '91K100RS White/Blue
Current:
'91 K100RS16V "Moby Brick Too"

Past:
'94 K75RT "Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS"
'92 K100RS16V "Moby Brick" (RIP, deceased in a vehicular assault)
'94 K75S Special Edition Dakar Yellow "Cheetos"
'89 K100RS Special Edition "Special Ed"

Tags: