Author Topic: Olympic Peninsula and Vancouver Island 8/2015  (Read 3900 times)

Offline TimTyler

• Adrninistrator
  • ^ Quintessential Motobricker
Olympic Peninsula and Vancouver Island 8/2015
« on: August 06, 2015, 12:03:58 AM »
Last Thursday I packed a tent and headed NW from Olympia to the Olympic Peninsula to escape the crazy hot weather.

Took some unpaved forest roads about midday to explore the Hoh rainforest hoping to find a through-road, but all the ones I chose dead-ended or were washed out and I had to double back. Great riding though, and not too hot.

Planned to camp the first night in LaPush but all the campgrounds were full. A campground host recommended the nearby "Cycle Camp". It was great. Not the best campground, but certainly the best, most interesting hosts. I'll go back just to visit Bob and Billy. Any rider passing by on two wheels should stop there.

Friday I got an early start and headed towards Neah Bay, the top-left corner of the continental US. Great roads along the Straight of Juan deFuca, dipping in and out of the coastal fog banks.

Met up with my friend Scot from Seattle. Checked out the fleabag motel he booked for $125 and decided to camp solo at the NP campground at the bottom of Hurricane Ridge Rd. That motel was disgusting. Worse I've ever seen.

We boarded the 08:30 ferry Saturday morning to Vancouver Island, had some brunch in Victoria, and then dealt with the traffic on the way out of town on our way to Tofino. Camped for two nights at the Timberlodge Motel / RV Camping/ Sushi Restaurant. Nice, clean place. We had the tent camping area all to ourselves.

The traffic out to Tofino on Sunday morning was horrendous, but the early evening ride back was fast and fun. Monday we rode up the east side of the island to Cambell River and then slabbed it back to the ferry back to Port Angeles and then rode home in the dark.

Offline kris

• ^ SuperNatural Motobricker
Re: Olympic Peninsula and Vancouver Island 8/2015
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2015, 09:07:54 PM »
Sweet! Hope they were good to you north of the 49th...
  • In The Hammer!! Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
  • 1986 K100RT (Heinz) 2004 Kawasaki Concours (Eddy) 2007 Moto Guzzi Breva 1100 (Linda) Previous: 1968 Honda CD175 1973 Kawasaki S2350 1975 Honda CB550K
"I got bike fever bad!!"

Tags: