Author Topic: Madison to Onondaga Cave state park, for my 1 Up Camping Shakedown trip.  (Read 4138 times)

Offline herseyb

• ^ Proficient Motobricker
Well, I'm gearing up for this trip on starting July 30th.  I'm hoping to get south of Peoria after work, and then make it the rest of the way on Friday.

It'll be my first motorcycle camping trip, but a lot of my bicycle camping kit is crossing over remarkably well.  I'm gonna go for hammock camping, with my backpacking pack strapped down lengthwise behind me.  Not sure where I'm putting my water bottle quite yet...  Maybe its time for a camelpack.

I've got a bit over 1K miles on the bike now, and everything is running smoothly for the most part.  Hopefully the rest of the kinks are ironed out before I go!

Here is my planned route on the way down: https://goo.gl/maps/22ckV     :riding:

Probably interstates 55, 39 and 90 on the way home.
  • Brooklyn
  • '93 K1100RS

Offline TimTyler

• Adrninistrator
  • ^ Quintessential Motobricker
Looks like a nice route along the river.

Since you won't have a tent, bring a big strong garbage bag that you can put your armored clothes and boots in overnight so you won't have to worry about finding bugs 'n critters in them the next morning.

Offline billday

• ^ Quintessential Motobricker
Brings back memories of taking the Hickman (KY)-Dorena (MO) ferry when I rode to Arizona.
  • New York State, USA 10977
  • 1985 K100

Offline herseyb

Day one, Madison to lacon il with a rest just south of dixon.
  • Brooklyn
  • '93 K1100RS

Offline herseyb

• Brooklyn
  • '93 K1100RS

Offline herseyb

The only thing worth seeing north of 70 on MO hwy 19.  Then it got twisty, but traffic and fatigue after 300 miles meant not too much enjoyment. Highlight riding was the great river road along the Illinois river. Scenic migratory bird preserves, between the river bluffs.  I nearly parboiled during three stop n go traffic jams on the interstate the way back. 998 miles round trip. 200 miles Thurs, 300 Fri, 498 Sunday. Illinois interstate was haul in 90 mph traffic for many stretches, grateful the 75 could manage those speeds with some to spare. My hammock gave out as I turned to get out the final morning after 8 years of service.  Rip.
  • Brooklyn
  • '93 K1100RS

Tags: