Author Topic: Avoiding the Rain in Eastern WA / OR  (Read 4876 times)

Offline TimTyler

• Adrninistrator
  • ^ Quintessential Motobricker
Avoiding the Rain in Eastern WA / OR
« on: May 21, 2015, 01:55:55 PM »
I'm heading out over the Cascade range at about noon today on the K75 with my old friend Scot on his old Honda.

The through-roads in Mt Rainier Nat'l Park are still closed due to a rock slide so we'll use White pass. Staying with a friend in Yakima tonight.

Friday and Saturday's route is TBD based on weather patterns. Looks like some rain is moving in and we'll try to avoid that. We'll have camping gear.

Weather permitting we're hoping to hit the rattlesnake road http://tinyurl.com/l59jccw but we might be short on time. Scot needs to be home on Saturday.

Tracking map here https://spotwalla.com/tripViewer.php?id=d3a5555df6b41a9a2

I'll try to upload pics along the way.

Offline johnny

• TrailBrakingThrottleWhacker
  • Whacking...n...Chopping Sliding...n...High Siding
Re: Avoiding the Rain in Eastern WA / OR
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2015, 02:53:14 PM »
mystic red knows that rattlesnake... oughtta ping him... prolly knows a good weed cookie stop near the north end...

j o
  • :johnny i parks my 96 eleven hundert rs motobrick in dodge county cheezconsin  :johnny

Offline TimTyler

• Adrninistrator
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2015, 03:02:37 PM »
Thx, JO

Ready to launch.

Offline motodude

• ^ SuperNatural Motobricker
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2015, 03:48:30 PM »
Prolly too late, but a couple of weeks ago I rode over the N. Cascades highway (WA-20).  It was great and a road I highly recommend it.

Tom
'95 K75RT
'90 K75RT
'87 K100RS Motorsport
No, I am not cool.  Yes, it really is the journey.

Offline TimTyler

• Adrninistrator
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2015, 10:39:59 PM »
That was a good ride with lots of scenery and only about a half hour of rain.

My friend Scot has a different riding style than me. He likes short bursts of saddle and long pauses for conversation. We ended up spending about as much time not riding as time riding. But it was 90% yeehaw.

We spent Thursday night at his 85-year-old sister's place in Yakima and had dinner during an incredible lightning storm. Late start Friday and then down to a winery tasting room in Prosser, WA. Then beautiful old winding highways flanked by green fields towards Trout Lake with a stop in Bickleton at The Bluebird Inn which claims to be the oldest, continuously operating tavern in WA state.

At The Bluebird I only drank fresh iced coffee but shortly thereafter I had a great beer on the lawn in front of the Trout Lake Inn with the sun in my eyes.

With just a hour or so left in the day we rode down to the Columbia River and found the last $79 room at Prater's Motel. Not bad for three room, three beds and a tiny bathroom.

Saturday started with an overpriced organic breakfast in Hood River, a ride across the Bridge of the Gods and then the winding, paved forest road from Stevenson to Randle, WA.

I did not stop to take as many scenic roadside pictures as I usually do since we kept stopping in the towns.

Offline johnny

• TrailBrakingThrottleWhacker
  • Whacking...n...Chopping Sliding...n...High Siding
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2015, 10:49:22 PM »
thanks for the intel big daddy... the napa of warshington... better than watching reruns of dowington abbie...

j o
  • :johnny i parks my 96 eleven hundert rs motobrick in dodge county cheezconsin  :johnny

Tags: