Author Topic: K1100, no turn signal cancel  (Read 2884 times)

Offline KCinSB

• ^ Proficient Motobricker
  • Still learning about Bricks from this site!
K1100, no turn signal cancel
« on: April 05, 2015, 10:26:50 AM »
Sorry if this has been handled before. 
My '93 K1100 turn signal cancel button has stopped working. I took the switch assembly apart, and cleaned all the contacts on all switches in there while inside. They were ugly, and I thought that would surely be the fix. Nope, still no cancel.  Is there a common issue I should look for next?  They do self cancel with riding distance, but that isn't good around town.  I seem to recall there is a holding relay involved...?
  • Santa Barbara, CA
  • SOLD
No good turn goes unpunished, but it's fun to keep trying.........
1993 K1100RS, with LT Rack&Case, some old BSAs and Triumphs,... some even run!! Recent Dark Side foray... '65 XLCH tractor.

Offline rbm

• ^ Quintessential Motobricker
Re: K1100, no turn signal cancel
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2015, 10:56:11 AM »
Have you tried reseating the RH cluster multiplug connector under the tank?  There might be poor contact there.
  • Regards, Robert
Toronto, Ontario

1987 K75 - Build Blog @http://k75retro.blogspot.ca/

Offline KCinSB

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2015, 02:23:03 PM »
No, I have not tried that.  I want to find out which plug contacts are from the cancel switch, and prove the signal is coming from the switch as it should.  what it does is still a mystery after that.
  • Santa Barbara, CA
  • SOLD
1993 K1100RS, with LT Rack&Case, some old BSAs and Triumphs,... some even run!! Recent Dark Side foray... '65 XLCH tractor.

Offline KCinSB

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2015, 05:09:19 PM »
Decided to check if the switch contact was "making", and even though I had cleaned the momentary contact previously, it was not showing continuity through the switch.  Took the switch assembly apart again, and decided the issue must be the Pivot contact in the switch. This is a contact Bar situation, where the bar makes contact with 2 points to make the circuit. The bar sort of rotates about the 1 contact and touches the 2nd momentary contact. That 2nd contact was fairly easy to clean, and I had done that. Never though about the other end of the bar, that is in constant contact with the 1st point. I was able to retract the spring loaded bar enough to get a blade into the 1st contact area, and scrape it clean. Switch together, signals cancel. So it WAS the switch all the time. Related this process if it helps anyone else with a no cancel problem.
  • Santa Barbara, CA
  • SOLD

Tags: