Author Topic: USA 4 Corners (my way)  (Read 3428 times)

Offline koapono

• ^ Proficient Motobricker
USA 4 Corners (my way)
« on: March 22, 2015, 07:37:28 AM »
going to do the 4 corners this year but on my terms and not the SCMA ride rules. I don't have the time to bag all 4 corners on one ride so will have to spread it out over several months.
Family matters in Florida gave me opportunity to ride south and visit the SE corner at Key West.
Left home in VA, was a chilly 30 degrees F temp at Key West was a balmy 90F.
first stop was wellington, FL for visit w/sister and her clan and horses.
Also spent some time at Sannibel/Captiva Island and the Everglades.
Rode the Slab down (I-95) to make time and cruised back via parts of US 17 and I-95, really not a great deal of scenic roads condusive to scoot touring on south east coast. too many people, red lights, traffic jams and Hardley riders for my tastes.
stopped to see Pedro at south of the border, if you've been on I-95 at NC/SC border you know of Pedro.
made a quick stop at Daytona Bike-week festivities, mistake on my part but then I'm a slow learner. Told my spouse: if i ever mention Bike-Week again, stab me in the eye with a fork! In my defense I did promise  Tee-shirt to friend who rides a chrome steed.
stopped at Robert is Here, adjacent to everglades nat'l park, for a key-lime shake, don't know if this place is famous but it should be!
Ride down through the Keys spans the spectrum from scenic vistas to strip-mall boredom, traffic was pretty much bumper to bumper for entire length. got the photo at Key West monument and turned north.
this trip totaled 3200 miles, the LT ran like a champ!
I plan to ride to Madawaska, ME in may for corner #2.

• prince george, VA (25 miles south of richmond)
  • 1994 K1100LT

Offline johnny

• TrailBrakingThrottleWhacker
  • ^ Quintessential Motobricker
  • Whacking...n...Chopping Sliding...n...High Siding
Re: USA 4 Corners (my way)
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2015, 10:37:54 AM »
that donkey has an odd appearance...

j o
  • :johnny i parks my 96 eleven hundert rs motobrick in dodge county cheezconsin  :johnny

Offline koapono

• ^ Proficient Motobricker
Re: USA 4 Corners (my way)
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2015, 12:13:13 PM »
some daytona musings:
on my way to corner #1: key west I stopped at daytona (bike week) for an afternoon. I have been to sturgis and daytona in the past. Sturgis has some excellent riding roads in and around the bike week festivities and is worth a visit preferably not during harley-fest. Daytona, unless you are a Harley/custom bike fan should probably be avoided, although there is opportunity to ride on the beach if you're so inclined.
attached are some pics from my stop.
first stop was Rossmeyer's harley, right off I-95 and harley central. this guy has built a mega-plex in honor of all things harley, bike store, clothes, chrome, accessories, restaurant and bar. i imagine some folks never ventured further than this. I parked in a sea of harley's, saw a few goldwings, some other V-twin cruisers, a handful of sport bikes, some newer beemers but only 1 Classic-K (mine). The only thing that closely numbered the harleys were harley-haulers! tons of trailers filled every k-mart, walmart, target and motel parking lots.
went downtown to visit boot-hill tavern, cruise the strip, stop at beemer dealer ( a sea of tranquility!) and view some of the custom work on display.
the beemer dealer also sells ducati and triumph so there were some nice scoots on display. the red ducatis would probably get you a speeding ticket while parked.
the photo from inside boothill is blurred, sorry, the thought of all those breasticles caused a tremor.
did a walk-about and a drive through and left!
I'm off to madawaska, maine in may to bag corner #2.
  • prince george, VA (25 miles south of richmond)
  • 1994 K1100LT

Tags: