Author Topic: Three spoke wheel strength  (Read 12524 times)

Offline TimTyler

• Adrninistrator
  • ^ Quintessential Motobricker
Re: Three spoke wheel strength
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2015, 10:24:13 AM »
... But I would like to identify the likely weakest links now, and address them in advance, so as to maximize the probability that my trip will be a success.

You could start by replacing every piece of rubber on the bike with new OEM. All the O-rings, seals, gaskets, fuel lines, radiator hoses, brake hoses and tires.

Offline Chaos

• Administrator
  • Mars needs women!
« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2015, 12:40:59 PM »
Getting back to wheels, I was on the highway at night riding with a group and hit a muffler at about 75 mph.  Bike bounced airborne, scary wobble, recovered, pulled over  (I had no idea what I hit, buds told me later) Checked for damage, nothing.  That was 20 years ago and I'm still on the same y spoke wheels.  No personal experience with the 3 spoke but I can vouch for the y spoke. 
  • sw ohio
1987 K75S    VIN 0231
Original owner, Original litter
200,000 miles (plus or minus) and 5 paint jobs
sold 6/23
2023 Ural 2WD sidecar (BMW's bastard step child)

Offline voodooskin

• Motobrick Curious
  • gone: 1997 K1100LT
« Reply #27 on: April 03, 2015, 12:27:18 AM »
On my 3000 mile trip last summer from here to there and back, here's the fun stuff that happened:

- no fuel at Denio Junction, OR (middle o' nowhere), K had enough in the tank to make it barely to the next hop but I was sweating it for that last 50 miles.  No reason to think there would not be fuel there but all out of service.
- bike _barely_ started after camping in sub freezing temps at Great Basin Natl. Park, fortunately it fired up. Weak battery (although not old).  Bullet dodged.
- low beam burned out going up the curvy mtn road at night, I carry a spare repl. the next AM, had to be the a-hole to the downhill traffic that PM with the brights on.  Fun though with about 4 billion moths in the air, looked like a snowstorm.
- oddball fuel return issue caused fuel to dump out the overflow hose in nontrivial quantities in the desert heat.  Easy fix but I did not know what was going on, online K bike gurus gave me peace of mind to just ride it home and address the issue once back rather than squander $$ and time at some Colorado BMW dealer, which was my first thought.

So to learn from my experience:
- have spare fuel or don't cut things too close
- test your battery, make sure it's great
- bring simple spares (bulbs, etc.)
- have internet access to check here if you do encounter an issue or two

Half my issues were the bike being in conditions it never sees at home (below freezing and above 100F).  No wheel issues, this time anyway, I carry a flat kit but never used one, hope never have to learn.
  • Oregon
1997 K1100LT 49K miles

Offline richarddacat

• ^ Proficient Motobricker
Three spoke wheel strength
« Reply #28 on: April 04, 2015, 10:37:40 PM »
Speaking of three spoke wheels. Does anyone know off hand which year and model 3spoke could replace the wheels on my 88 C model?

BTW, I've also bent a three spoke wheel on a 94s I had due to target fixation on a rock. Noticeable ding on one side but otherwise no harm done.
loud pipes annoy people, well designed helmets save lives.

Offline rbm

« Reply #29 on: April 04, 2015, 10:55:00 PM »
  • Regards, Robert
Toronto, Ontario

1987 K75 - Build Blog @http://k75retro.blogspot.ca/

Offline richarddacat

• ^ Proficient Motobricker
« Reply #30 on: April 05, 2015, 12:15:56 AM »
Thank you.

I knew it was out there but hadn't had time to hunt it down.
loud pipes annoy people, well designed helmets save lives.

Tags: