Author Topic: DIY LED flasher relay  (Read 71729 times)

Offline rbm

• ^ Quintessential Motobricker
Re: DIY LED flasher relay
« Reply #50 on: April 21, 2016, 06:59:14 PM »

You should have made a thin clean slice through the trace shown in the diagram above, horizontal in nature, completely severing the connection to the large ground plane island.

Your photo is unclear but it looks like you've taken out some of the surrounding traces.  If you are skilled in electronics, you can repair the damage but make sure you feel confident you know what to do.
  • Regards, Robert
Toronto, Ontario

1987 K75 - Build Blog @http://k75retro.blogspot.ca/

Offline Nantucket_Red

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #51 on: April 21, 2016, 07:07:03 PM »
Okay, I see what I did. Thankfully I'm decent at sodering so I'll give another go. I can always snag another board. Thanks for the help
  • Cape Cod,MA
  • 1987 BMW K100RT

Offline cmps

• Curious
« Reply #52 on: May 10, 2016, 01:59:27 AM »
Thanks for this great tutorial, I will do it as soon as I get back to my bike next weekend.

My question is, would this work also with the following setup?
- front indicators -> bulbs
- rear indicators -> led

I still have to decide if I want to go full led or not, so this could be useful.

Quote from: rbm
rbm
  • Italia
  • K75 c

Offline rbm

« Reply #53 on: May 10, 2016, 06:31:10 AM »
Yes, it will work.  That's what I run on my K75 - front bulbs and rear LEDs.
  • Regards, Robert
Toronto, Ontario

Offline E30_Crazy

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #54 on: May 16, 2016, 02:03:35 PM »
I'm about to try this myself, just to get rid of the hyper flash, but I am getting another curious symptom from the LED swap... My cluster flashers, while hyper flashing, end up getting dimmer over a few seconds, then the next time I activate either side, the opposite arrow flashes on the cluster! The correct indicators flash, but the opposite arrow on the cluster. What a trip! I'll get back once I've made the cut and update whether or not that fixes it.
  • Newport News, Virginia
  • '85 K100, '93 K1100RS
God created Crew Chiefs so Fighter Pilots could have heroes, too.

Offline uhoh7

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #55 on: September 16, 2017, 04:47:28 PM »
What Red shows is there are at least two different boards.

This really confused me, as the board I pulled from my late 84 (build date) K100RS, was nothing like the board in the first series of pictures. I did not see Red's post at first.

Flasher by unoh7, on Flickr

So the "cut" location in the first series of pics did not make sense. But People talked about cutting pin 7. I did not think the wiring harness was different--I still don't but check me there. So I found the trace right into the mount of pin 7 and cut that.

Flasher by unoh7, on Flickr

Now I have nice left signals but no right ones. LOL

Of course I was doing numerous things at once so, I still am not positive the right handle bar switch is working, but the cancel does for the left, so I think my hack job has caused this. I jumped the pins on the harness, and my right turn comes on switched or not, so I don't have ground or bulb issues.

I think I will order a proper solder kit and see if I can repair, then cut in the location described for Red on the last page.

But what I don't understand: people say cut pin seven. That seems to work regardless of board......or does it?

Anyway my bad cut shown here is the only lead to 7, so why no joy?

TY to all :)

• Idaho
  • 1986 K100

Offline Laitch

• Faster than a speeding pullet
  • Administrator
« Reply #56 on: September 16, 2017, 07:05:58 PM »
I think you've cut a trace to the wrong doodad. The one you want is from the one I've marked with a red arrow in the first photo. That device is found under a red dot in Reply #19 and in Reply #27. Its position differs relative to other components but it's the same device.

This photo is your photo rotated 90º counterclockwise. Now it's in the same position as rbm's enlarged photo in Reply #50. I've marked the eight pin solder points with a red rectangle. Which is the trace to the almighty Pin #7? rbm has marked the trace to cut with a red line. I've marked the same trace. It's barely visible at the tip of the yellow arrow. Compare the trace patterns of the two photos; they're identical.

Of course, I won't be doing any of this to my bike because I'm infatuated with incandescence; however, you're welcome to discover if I'm correct.  :giggles
  • Along the Ridley in Vermont.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles
I wept because I had no radials until I met a man who had no splines.
https://tinyurl.com/RillRider

Offline austindavidg

• Curious
« Reply #57 on: October 12, 2017, 07:24:20 PM »
Any chance you can get us the pictures in the post above. They're not showing.
  • Helena MT
  • 1987 k75rt

Offline Laitch

• Administrator
« Reply #58 on: October 12, 2017, 08:07:58 PM »
Any chance you can get us the pictures in the post above. They're not showing.
I'm logged in and they are showing on my Mac right now.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles

Offline Deepnoizer

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #59 on: October 13, 2017, 08:08:14 AM »
Did this surgery yesterday, quick and easy worked great.
You guys are fantastic !
  • NYC
  • K1100

Offline seb

• Curious
« Reply #60 on: November 09, 2017, 05:35:37 AM »
HI, I'm having the same problem with the led flasher (buzz and no flashing) So I ordered a new relais, because I wasn't too sure about what to cut and didn't want to damage the original one. This is what I ordered: BMW K75 K100 K1100 Indicator Flasher Relay (screenshot)

I opened up the relay, and I'm getting something different. :dunno Can someone tell me / indicate what to cut?
thanks
  • Belgium
  • K75RT

Offline seb

• Curious
« Reply #61 on: November 09, 2017, 06:13:38 AM »
sorry didn't see the following pages. I'll try what RBM told Red
  • Belgium
  • K75RT

Offline seb

• Curious
« Reply #62 on: November 09, 2017, 12:24:17 PM »
Sorry to relaunch this, but can't really figure out where to cut from the photos. Is it this one?
  • Belgium
  • K75RT

Offline Laitch

• Administrator
« Reply #63 on: November 09, 2017, 01:28:54 PM »
Sorry to relaunch this . . .. Is it this one?
Why are you sorry? Do you think we're doing something important here that you're interrupting? : :hehehe   

Anyway, your board has slightly different paths than the board in the photo you are using for comparison. When you cut that trace, you want to make a careful, thin, clean cut so the trace will be easily repairable. Don't use a machete or a meat cleaver, you'll crack the board.   :yes   You know how to solder, right?

If you have logical reasons for choosing that trace, cut it. That's how I operate. It isn't rocket science; it's more like animal tracking. If you are successful, you'll have gained greater confidence in your reasoning power. If it doesn't work, you will have a good reason for feeling sorry. It's a win/win! :giggles

Report back, please.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles

Offline rbm

« Reply #64 on: November 09, 2017, 05:38:56 PM »
That's the correct trace.  To verify, observe that it goes to pin 7 on the integrated circuit by flipping the board over to the component side and counting the pins from pin 1.  You do know how to identify pin 1 on an integrated circuit, don't you??
  • Regards, Robert
Toronto, Ontario

Offline seb

• Curious
« Reply #65 on: November 10, 2017, 03:40:32 AM »
Perfect! I'll try this weekend. Keep you updated! Thanks for the help.

[size=0px]To verify, observe that it goes to pin 7 on the integrated circuit by flipping the board over to the component side and counting the pins from pin 1.  You do know how to identify pin 1 on an integrated circuit, don't you??[/size]
[/size]
Not really. I don't know anything about electronics, unfortunately. :dunno [/size][size=78%] But eager to learn :) I'll google it [/size] :yes
  • Belgium
  • K75RT

Offline rbm

« Reply #66 on: November 10, 2017, 04:36:59 AM »
Look at the top of the plastic package and notice there is one end with a notch or moulded indent.  Orient the chip so the notch is on your LEFT.  Pin #1 is the LOWER LEFT corner.  Count pins as you move RIGHT. When you come to the end move UPWARDS and continue to count pins LEFT.

• Regards, Robert
Toronto, Ontario

Offline seb

• Curious
« Reply #67 on: November 12, 2017, 09:53:57 AM »
The cut did the trick! Works perfectly, thanks guys.  :clap:
  • Belgium
  • K75RT

Offline Postman

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #68 on: February 28, 2018, 02:40:27 AM »
Thanks for a hint! That was a few minutes job and LED-flashers are flashing like originals :2thumbup:

• Finland
  • 1985 K100RT scrambler

Offline Fraje

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #69 on: May 31, 2018, 01:46:13 PM »
Thanks for all your info! Led-issue sorted easily. Biggest obstacle was to get inside of that relay box. ;)
Also renoverat the BMU while i was at it so the led back/brake light now is ready for the road.
Drive safe!
  • Sweden
  • K100 -86, R90/6 -74

Offline iliyanTsonev

• Curious
« Reply #70 on: November 19, 2018, 07:05:58 AM »
Hello Guys,

I guess i need to cut the one that i marked with "option 1", but i just want to be sure :)
  • Bulgaria
  • K100 RS and a bunch of bmw cars

Offline Laitch

• Administrator
« Reply #71 on: November 19, 2018, 08:43:58 AM »
Everest has already been climbed. We've landed on the moon. People are jumping off cliffs in Norway to launch themselves at 100 mph through holes in rock barely wider than their shoulders. Thousands of us are doing handstands and one armed pull-ups at the peaks of skyscapers, and swimming with sharks apparently. People are even kissing lobsters. There aren't many frontiers of adventure left to explore.
This is one of them. Go for it! Don't worry. If you've got "a bunch of BMW cars," you can afford to make a mistake. :giggles

Choosing option Option #2 would be like mistaking shoelaces for spaghetti.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles

Offline iliyanTsonev

• Curious
« Reply #72 on: November 19, 2018, 08:49:47 AM »
Thank you Laitch,

That's my first post in this forum. Im working on a k100 RS (becoming a cafe racer)

I will let you know what happens after the surgery :)

I will post some of my work soon.

Thanks again.
  • Bulgaria
  • K100 RS and a bunch of bmw cars

Offline rbm

« Reply #73 on: November 19, 2018, 09:17:04 PM »
I guess i need to cut the one that i marked with "option 1", but i just want to be sure :)
Yes, option 1, not option 2
  • Regards, Robert
Toronto, Ontario

Offline MEZ

• Never surrender always busy
  • ^ Proficient Motobricker
  • once dead soon forgotten dream big aim high
« Reply #74 on: November 19, 2018, 11:45:43 PM »
Gents, gonna have to BIG you all up here, this issue has been recirculating around my rather empty 'resolve' chambers for some time now and BOOM..... There it is, the simple solution so big thanks for this thread, however I've not made the 'cut' yet so be on standby ok..!!!

One thing I will add here is my own set-up. I have used GS12 switch clusters on my special build which has thrown in it's own unique set of difficulties. Basically the wiring arrangement to the clusters are CANBUS style. One common feed and eight return switched feeds. Because the 'K' wiring system uses switched grounding paths I have had to implement the use of relays to effect the necessary grounding of each function.

One question here is, will the turn signal 'cancel' function still work after the cut..?? Second question, the hazard warning switch, 3 wires, one is ground so the function of the switch is to ground the (Y/V) and (L/W) wires ???

• Angel of the North
  • GS12adv '06, K75 GSadv, CRF500L 'special'

Tags: