Author Topic: Heated Grip performance  (Read 2953 times)

Offline HCorn

• ^ Motobrick Curious
Heated Grip performance
« on: June 15, 2011, 09:40:10 PM »
I have, as far as I know, OEM grip heaters on my 86 K75 (it looks like a spiral wire wrapped around the throttle tube under the grips).  Even on the high setting, they get luke warm at best.  Certainly not as good as my aftermarket ones I put on my other bike.  They were good enough today in about 60 degrees with summer gloves.  But I really doubt they'll be good enough come winter with heavier gloves.  When I had the tank off, I also fixed and cleaned the connector for them as one of the wires had pulled out (the left grip wasn't getting any heat).

I assume they should work better than this.  Do the heating elements perform worse over time?  Would different grips help (I appear to have OEM and I have no idea how old)?  Is it more likely in the wiring somewhere since I already had issues with one connector?
1986 K75T

Offline leecow

• ^ Motobrick Curious
Re: Heated Grip performance
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2011, 04:07:24 PM »
Don't know if anything interesting changed in the intervening 7 years to when my bike was built but I can easily feel heat even through heavy gloves. As far as I know the elements and grips are stock.

Did the '86 have hi and lo settings? Have you confirmed that both a working to some degree?
Lee
'93 K1100RS

Offline HCorn

• ^ Motobrick Curious
Re: Heated Grip performance
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2011, 07:39:09 PM »
Yep, it has Hi and low, but the Low setting is about worthless.  I'm guessing I'm getting too much resistance somewhere in the circuit - especially based on how the plug looked.  Maybe I need to see if there is another plug earlier in the circuit.  I'm not too inclined at his point to pull the tank again.  The wires themselves all seem fine visually from the outside. 
1986 K75T

Tags: