Author Topic: Brake lines.  (Read 22837 times)

Offline billday

• ^ Quintessential Motobricker
Re: Brake lines.
« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2015, 06:36:06 PM »
No hydraulic shop in Taos. How much are the Spieglers for a K75, and where do you get 'em?

I bought mine directly from Spiegler. As I recall their website isn't really set up for ecommerce but you can find contact info on their website and they seem happy to sell direct to customers.

They're pricier than the local shops that people talk about, but they do make kits specific for your make and model and I was happy with their service.
  • New York State, USA 10977
  • 1985 K100

Offline heller

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #26 on: July 05, 2017, 07:04:46 PM »
I've wondered: Why can you drive a car for 10 years and 100000 miles and never replace the brake fluid or the brake lines? Really?  Fluid every 2 years and lines every five?
  • albany ny
  • k1100rs

Offline K1300S

« Reply #27 on: July 05, 2017, 07:16:26 PM »
YUP.

you can ignore a lot of regular maint....roll the dice, take your chances.  why bother to change the engine oil and filter?  anyone who doesn't change brake fluid for 100,000 miles is an idiot...or trying to prove darwin's theory.

brakes are your major safety system.  brake fluid absorbs water, lowers boiling point and will, not can, fail you.   brake lines can fail internally with no visible signs.  they are not lifetime parts.

brake fluid every 2 years?  that is long for me.  i do it every year on the cars and bikes...every month in season on the race cars.
brake lines every 5 years?  that might be a little much.  10 years for a street bike more reasonable.

fluid change is a 15 min evolution and fluid is cheap.  no brainer to change it often.
lines take an hour or two and maybe $100.  no brainer.

Project Thread "K75s Midlife Refresh"
http://www.motobrick.com/index.php/topic,7810.0.html

Offline johnny

• TrailBrakingThrottleWhacker
  • Whacking...n...Chopping Sliding...n...High Siding
« Reply #28 on: July 05, 2017, 09:19:39 PM »
greetings...

what about not changing butts just topping off the brake fluid...

j o
  • :johnny i parks my 96 eleven hundert rs motobrick in dodge county cheezconsin  :johnny

Offline stokester

• ^ SuperNatural Motobricker
« Reply #29 on: July 05, 2017, 09:40:58 PM »
I've wondered: Why can you drive a car for 10 years and 100000 miles and never replace the brake fluid or the brake lines? Really?  Fluid every 2 years and lines every five?
While it was thought that brake fluid would last the life of the car before ABS; it does not and my pre-ABS 1983 Audi called for brake fluid replacement every two years.  Its color is a good indicator (coffee=bad, apple juice= good) but they do make test strips that will change color based on the water and mineral content.  I have replaced a few calipers and rotors where the inside of the brake line has collapsed causing the fluid to keep pressure on the pads.  Every five? Probably too soon but my K-bike is nearing the 25 year mark and need to get some Spiegler lines.

Todays cars with the complex ABS pumps will cost you BIG $$$ if the hydroscopic properties of the brake fluid cause it to go Tango Uniform.  It is good practice and relatively easy to do with a simple vacuum pump or a helper to pump the brakes and new fluid.

• Yorktown Virginia
  • '94 K75S Dakar Yellow - '93 K75S Seiden Blau - '91 R100RT Bermuda Blue- '78 R100S Smoke Red

Offline Laitch

• Faster than a speeding pullet
  • Administrator
« Reply #30 on: July 05, 2017, 10:10:46 PM »
  • Along the Ridley in Vermont.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles
I wept because I had no radials until I met a man who had no splines.
https://tinyurl.com/RillRider

Offline TriSpark

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #31 on: July 06, 2017, 08:46:03 PM »
You can buy Spiegler SS brake lines direct from them here. My 87 is on the original rubber lines and way past due for new ones.

https://spieglerusa.com/brakes.html
  • Chattanooga TN
  • Red 1987 K75s

Tags: