Author Topic: What Did You Did To Your Motobrick Today ?  (Read 1897255 times)

Offline schrocketeer

• ^ Proficient Motobricker
Re: What Did You Did To Your Motobrick Today ?
« Reply #3175 on: May 18, 2018, 06:31:27 PM »
My front brake hose patch to get home a couple of days ago (removed off the bike once I got home). Electrical tape and a tie wrap. Lots of engine braking, and rear brake use to get the last 30 miles home. I figured I had a use or two of the front brake in an emergency.
Two new front hoses on order from BMW of Jacksonville. I called today, and they said the parts were on the way from BMW warehouse.
Is there a warehouse in the US, or are they coming from the Mother-ship in Germany?
  • North Alabama
  • 1985 K100RT (P.O. mod'ed)
Ken   Current: 85 K100RS Turbo, 07 SV1000S, 80 KL250, 99 R1100GS, 09 DL650, 16 4RT260, 97 XR100, 70 CT70, 06 YFM400
Past Bikes: 85 K100RT, 86 VFR700, 91 XR250, 95 VLX600, 86 TRX250, 02 GZ250, 83 Z50R, 78 ATC90, 86 XR250, 79 XR500, 72 AT1, 75 YZ360, 78 DT400, 75 DT125, 73 Trail 70

Offline Laitch

• Faster than a speeding pullet
  • Administrator
  • ^ Quintessential Motobricker
« Reply #3176 on: May 18, 2018, 06:47:08 PM »
Two new front hoses on order from BMW of Jacksonville. I called today, and they said the parts were on the way from BMW warehouse.
Is there a warehouse in the US, or are they coming from the Mother-ship in Germany?
Only BMW of Jacksonville can clear up that ambiguity for you.
  • Along the Ridley in Vermont.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles
I wept because I had no radials until I met a man who had no splines.
https://tinyurl.com/RillRider

Offline parabrick

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #3177 on: May 19, 2018, 09:58:07 AM »
I have had the same issue with brake lines and have found that my local hose / coupling shop can make them for me in about 20 minutes wait time and at a cost of about $25....
  • Springfield OR
  • 97 K 1100 LT

Offline jensk

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #3178 on: May 21, 2018, 02:11:20 AM »
Changed the brakelines as the old ones were from '92. The new are reinforced from Motobins.
Cleaned out the rear caliber since the rear brake was dragging a bit and the inner brakepad was worn to about 1 mm. Changed pads.
Has my joy trying to get the air bubbles out of the ABS and the brakelines.
Cleaned out the FD splines and gave them new Guard Dog Moly.
Changed oil and filter.
Wash and polish and i'm ready for this years 10kkm

Sendt fra min ONEPLUS A5000 med Tapatalk

• Copenhagen, Denmark
  • '93 K75RT
Past: Honda CB550K3, Honda CB550F, Matchless G80 and a couple of MZ's

Offline piptravels

• Motobrick Curious
  • Bikes are for ridin
« Reply #3179 on: May 21, 2018, 02:48:43 PM »
replaced the front tire, manually Lol Now to firgure out how to replace the fork seals on this 1996 K1100LT of mine.
  • Austin, Tx/ Hesperia Ca
  • 1996 K1100LT

Offline rbm

« Reply #3180 on: May 21, 2018, 04:50:57 PM »
Finally, finally, finally  got the K75 out of winter mothballs and on the road.  It's mid-May and half the riding season is gone, DAMN.  This year has been really late, mainly because of family commitments, Honey-do list items, and work.  It was frustrating not being able to find the free time compounded by me worrying  and procrastinating about repairing a broken frame bolt.  The frame bolt on the front right side sheared off and the remainder is lodged in the engine block.  I have the extractor set but not the drills.  I'll have to pick up some left-handed drill bits this week and tear into it.

I replaced both crankcase and valve covers with real chromed versions, swapping for the chrome-painted ones I had before, as well as replacing the gas tank cover with a polished one.  The chrome painted parts survived the years differently.  Based on my experience, chrome-painting is good for ornamental purposes  only.  No severe use cases like engine case covers.  Surprisingly, the wheel rims have held up wonderfully.  Can't explain that one.
  • Regards, Robert
Toronto, Ontario

1987 K75 - Build Blog @http://k75retro.blogspot.ca/

Offline Laitch

• Administrator
« Reply #3181 on: May 21, 2018, 06:31:52 PM »
I replaced both crankcase and valve covers with real chromed versions, . . .
The long and winding road to Harleyville. Is that an etched, monogrammed Hall Effect sensor cover, I see before me looming in the mist?
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles

Offline rbm

« Reply #3182 on: May 21, 2018, 07:46:27 PM »
No Harleyville for this guy Latch. :nono   Only chrome accents with taste.
  • Regards, Robert
Toronto, Ontario

Offline Chaos

• Administrator
  • Mars needs women!
« Reply #3183 on: May 21, 2018, 08:06:24 PM »
No Harleysville for this guy Latch. :nono   Only chrome accents with taste.
aaargh,  matey!!  tis but a start that leads to raked forks handlebar tassels and riding side by side in packs.   
  • sw ohio
1987 K75S    VIN 0231
Original owner, Original litter
200,000 miles (plus or minus) and 5 paint jobs
sold 6/23
2023 Ural 2WD sidecar (BMW's bastard step child)

Offline Martin

« Reply #3184 on: May 21, 2018, 08:47:12 PM »
Followed by a vest with tassels, fingerless gloves and a tattoo dedicated to your mother.
Regards Martin.
  • North Lakes Queensland Australia
  • 1992 K75s Hybrid, Lefaux, Vespa V twin.

Offline Laitch

• Administrator
« Reply #3185 on: May 21, 2018, 09:03:10 PM »
. . .  a tattoo dedicated to your mother.
A tasteful tattoo, no doubt, followed by a tasteful 1%er patch. :giggles
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles

Offline milq

« Reply #3186 on: May 22, 2018, 01:17:06 AM »
Ordered a PC680 battery. The current battery finally gave up the ghost despite being on a tender over the winter. It was at least 6 yrs old so it deserved it.

First time I’ve taken the battery out, quite a snug fit!
  • Southern IL
  • 1988 K75S

Offline koapono

« Reply #3187 on: May 22, 2018, 08:53:40 AM »
Got my state (VA) inspection, changed fluids and added some bright light to rear of the K1100LT.
Purchased a light-bar from Twisted Throttle folks. They have a brick and mortar store in RI and an easy-to-use web site. Supply all your lighting, cargo, bags, GPS/phone/go-pro mounts and clothing needs.
The light bar is from admore lighting Inc. They hail from calgary, canada.
LED light bar featuring: running light, blink then solid brake light plus directional and 4-way flasher.
Tis bright, to be sure.
  • prince george, VA (25 miles south of richmond)
  • 1994 K1100LT

Offline milq

« Reply #3188 on: May 24, 2018, 06:33:45 PM »
Tossed the new PC680 battery in, made a new hold down for it from some aluminum bar and fired it up for the 1st time since August. (Life got in the way of tinkering with multiple bikes) Was impressed that it fired right up in about 3 seconds.

Now I’m sitting at DQ and some guy came in and asked if I knew my tag was 3 months expired...oops.
  • Southern IL
  • 1988 K75S

Offline Hilltopper46

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #3189 on: May 24, 2018, 11:01:21 PM »
This was actually over Mother's Day weekend... I put a new rear tire on the bike. I wanted to balance it and thought about turning an adapter that would let me spin it between two 2x4s like when I balance the front.

Then I thought, I have a spindle on the lathe, why not use that? So I made an adapter to mount the wheel to the lathe and used that to spin it.

I slacked off the belt to reduce the load from the motor, and unplugged the lathe to help keep me from doing something stupid  (like spin the wheel and tire up to 1500 rpm).

After I got it balanced I spun it 180 degrees on the adapter and checked again to make sure the lathe, the chuck or the adapter wasn't making it come out wrong.

I got the tire balanced and back on the bike, and it's running well.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

• East Troy, WI
  • 1995 K1100LT
Current bike - 1995 K1100LT - It RUNS!. You says Plum, DMV says Purple, BMW says Navana Violet.

Previously: 1982 XJ650 Yamaha, 1987 GoldWing, 1995 GoldWing, 2001 FLSTC, 2003 Goldwing

Offline stokester

• ^ SuperNatural Motobricker
« Reply #3190 on: May 25, 2018, 07:54:40 AM »
aaargh,  matey!!  tis but a start that leads to raked forks handlebar tassels and riding side by side in packs.
and don't forget the required skulls  :mbird
  • Yorktown Virginia
  • '94 K75S Dakar Yellow - '93 K75S Seiden Blau - '91 R100RT Bermuda Blue- '78 R100S Smoke Red

Offline Laitch

• Administrator
« Reply #3191 on: May 25, 2018, 08:57:36 AM »
and don't forget the required skulls  :mbird
Definitely! Especially the one carrying the valve adjustment tool.  :grimreaper:
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles

Offline DavidATL

« Reply #3192 on: May 26, 2018, 09:01:42 AM »
Each summer, I remove my 16" parabellum windshield to allow more cooling airflow on me in the Atlanta summers. Of course, it looks unfinished like that. This year, I fab'd a replacement of sorts from 1/16" ABS (I have clear too just not cut/ shaped yet). The crinkled surface matches well with the parabellum base.
  • Atlanta
  • K75RT '92 w/ 28k miles (former bikes: '82 FT500, 80's GL500 Silverwing, 550 Nighthawk and FINALLY an '88 K75S) https://georgiaroads.wordpress.com including my #GA4corners route

Offline Laitch

• Administrator
« Reply #3193 on: May 26, 2018, 09:18:20 AM »
Each summer, I remove my 16" parabellum windshield to allow more cooling airflow on me in the Atlanta summers.
Looks good!  :2thumbup:
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles

Offline F14CRAZY

« Reply #3194 on: May 26, 2018, 12:13:19 PM »
A bunch of stuff!

Engine oil and filter change. Valvoline 4 stroke motorcycle conventional 20w50...under $5/quart at Meijer. I know we don't exactly need motorcycle oil due to the dry clutch but it's all I've been using for the past 50k miles (oil the Castrol equivalent). I figure it's a quality oil at any rate. Bosch filter from the case that came with the bike when I bought it. These engines probably last as long as they do due to the massive oil filter.

Pulled the trans to clean and relube the clutch hub and input shaft and the driveshaft. Cleaned with brake cleaner and a toothbrush and used Honda Moly 60. I've had the clutch disc in for almost 50k miles and it shows virtually no wear in the friction material or the splines on the hub. I replaced it back in the day after I noticed the hub splines were close to toast during the initial spline lube after purchase. Since I have a house, garage and driveway now, I used Purple Power and my power washed and cleaned the trans and some other parts.

Swapped out the driveshaft for a better one that came with the bike. Mine were still going but I figured it wouldn't hurt for them to be better as it should reduce wear on the final drive splines. Those splines are in decent shape still.

Changed out the fork oil. Bel Ray 10w as I've used before. 410ml per fork as I have Showa forks. A big syringe I ordered from Amazon helped a lot. Before changing I used a Seal Mate to clean out the seals and went for a couple spins before draining and refilling.

I never bothered to do something but I've noticed before that my Pichler V1 fairing has little air scoops in the front and vents on the dash. There wasn't any plumbing in the fairing to hook them up though. I made a Home Depot trip and hooked it up with some 1 1/2'' Fernco couplings, a little pipe and a couple street 90s. I haven't been on the highway with it yet but at 50 mph I can definitely feel a good amount of air from them. This should help against the terrible heat we all are subject to  :falldown:

I know I did some other tinkering that I forgot to list but it was a busy evening and morning.
  • Grand Rapids, MI
  • '87 K75C
'87 K75C w/ Pichler V1 fairing. LED's, CATZ driving lights, Audiovox cruise, LT top case, tons of other mods by Drake...

Offline rbm

« Reply #3195 on: May 26, 2018, 04:58:32 PM »
I picked up some left-handed jobber drill bits last week and stuck into tackling the broken frame bolt extraction job today.   Started drilling through the bolt.  It didn't even make a dent in the bolt.  These must be massively hardened.  Switched to one of my titanium right-handed bits to see if I could start a hole.  To my surprise, the drill caught the bolt and started to thread it right through the other side of the frame lug!  In a few seconds the remanent of the broken bolt was out.  I installed and torqued up the replacement bolt - job done.  Simple as that.
  • Regards, Robert
Toronto, Ontario

Offline The Mighty Gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #3196 on: May 26, 2018, 05:16:51 PM »
I picked up some left-handed jobber drill bits last week and stuck into tackling the broken frame bolt extraction job today.   Started drilling through the bolt.  It didn't even make a dent in the bolt.  These must be massively hardened.  Switched to one of my titanium right-handed bits to see if I could start a hole.  To my surprise, the drill caught the bolt and started to thread it right through the other side of the frame lug!  In a few seconds the remanent of the broken bolt was out.  I installed and torqued up the replacement bolt - job done.  Simple as that.
Wow!  Must be your lucky day. 
  • In my garage in Marilla, NY
  • '91K100RS White/Blue
Current:
'91 K100RS16V "Moby Brick Too"

Past:
'94 K75RT "Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS"
'92 K100RS16V "Moby Brick" (RIP, deceased in a vehicular assault)
'94 K75S Special Edition Dakar Yellow "Cheetos"
'89 K100RS Special Edition "Special Ed"

Offline stokester

• ^ SuperNatural Motobricker
« Reply #3197 on: May 26, 2018, 05:58:10 PM »
Good for you, persistance pays off.

I've got a MATCO extractor set with LH bits that have saved me (and others) on automotive jobs, fortunately not needed on the bricks.
  • Yorktown Virginia
  • '94 K75S Dakar Yellow - '93 K75S Seiden Blau - '91 R100RT Bermuda Blue- '78 R100S Smoke Red

Offline Martin

« Reply #3198 on: May 27, 2018, 03:10:32 PM »

Changed out the fork oil. Bel Ray 10w as I've used before. 410ml per fork as I have Showa forks. A big syringe I ordered from Amazon helped a lot. Before changing I used a Seal Mate to clean out the seals and went for a couple spins before draining and refilling.

I replaced my seals nearly twenty years ago. Since then I have packed heavy silicone grease under the dust covers. This keeps all the crud and water out and helps prolong the life of the seals. I clean it out every couple of years and regrease it. If you subject your bike to really dusty conditions I would be replacing it more often. I also pack silicone grease under the brake master cylinder boot for the same reason.
Regards Martin.
  • North Lakes Queensland Australia
  • 1992 K75s Hybrid, Lefaux, Vespa V twin.

Offline DavidATL

« Reply #3199 on: May 27, 2018, 03:16:06 PM »
I replaced my seals nearly twenty years ago. Since then I have packed heavy silicone grease under the dust covers. This keeps all the crud and water out and helps prolong the life of the seals. I clean it out every couple of years and regrease it. If you subject your bike to really dusty conditions I would be replacing it more often. I also pack silicone grease under the brake master cylinder boot for the same reason.
Regards Martin.

I read a tip online (lolz) about using transmission leaker sealer to swell the fork seals. It was applied directly on the seal. I've been thinking about doing this as a PM item. Thoughts?

• Atlanta
  • K75RT '92 w/ 28k miles (former bikes: '82 FT500, 80's GL500 Silverwing, 550 Nighthawk and FINALLY an '88 K75S) https://georgiaroads.wordpress.com including my #GA4corners route