Author Topic: What Did You Did To Your Motobrick Today ?  (Read 1897262 times)

Offline mg1

• Motobrick Curious
Re: What Did You Did To Your Motobrick Today ?
« Reply #3100 on: March 13, 2018, 05:40:12 AM »
Today I finally started trying to isolate the reason for my speedo's wayward behaviour. It's relatively normal up to about 100km/h (or about 3700rpm in any gear) then it gallops away into the higher reaches of the dial.  I'm using Frankenduck's guide to speedo troubleshooting, and started by pulling the sender out of the final drive and cleaning it with auto electric cleaner spray then pulling the connector under the right side cover and giving it the same treatment. No obvious signs of corrosion.  It didn't fix the problem, unfortunately, so next step is to pull the instruments out and make sure the pin connections are as they should be.  If that doesn't do the trick, I might need to start playing swap the part until the culprit becomes obvious.
  • central NSW, Australia
  • K1100RS

Offline The Mighty Gryphon

• Administrator
  • ^ Quintessential Motobricker
« Reply #3101 on: March 13, 2018, 06:26:14 AM »
If you need one, I have a working speedo in the FS section under instrument cluster parts.

Shouldn't be too dear to ship to OZ.
  • In my garage in Marilla, NY
  • '91K100RS White/Blue
Current:
'91 K100RS16V "Moby Brick Too"

Past:
'94 K75RT "Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS"
'92 K100RS16V "Moby Brick" (RIP, deceased in a vehicular assault)
'94 K75S Special Edition Dakar Yellow "Cheetos"
'89 K100RS Special Edition "Special Ed"

Offline mg1

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #3102 on: March 13, 2018, 06:47:55 AM »
Thanks TMG, I'll keep it in mind.
  • central NSW, Australia
  • K1100RS

Offline Martin

« Reply #3103 on: March 13, 2018, 06:58:32 AM »
Gryph with all your stock reduction you wouldn't happen to have a good instrument housing, my glass is staring to craze.
Regards Martin.
  • North Lakes Queensland Australia
  • 1992 K75s Hybrid, Lefaux, Vespa V twin.

• Administrator
« Reply #3104 on: March 13, 2018, 07:42:08 AM »
I have one, but it's a 7 screw unit and the glass has a 1/2" crack in the corner of the tach.
  • '91K100RS White/Blue
Current:

Past:

Offline CNRED

• ^ Proficient Motobricker
« Reply #3105 on: March 13, 2018, 07:58:16 AM »
In the process of bring back an aging '90 K75s, sat for many years.
Engone is running well at ths time.
Back Brakes non-existent.  Yesterday I rebuilt the rear master cylinder and the rear caliper.  Parts were a little on the pricy side, but it turned out to be the easiest brake rebuild I have ever done.  Rear brakes work excellently, now on the the fronts.
  • Scottsdale, AZ
  • 1990 K75rt, 1992GSPD

Offline alexis291

« Reply #3106 on: March 13, 2018, 02:47:07 PM »
Today I finally started trying to isolate the reason for my speedo's wayward behaviour.

Have you checked it’s not the backing    lifting up and touching the needle? I had this on my tacho. It was a relief to realise my clutch wasn’t slipping!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • UK
  • K1100RS 1995

Offline mg1

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #3107 on: March 13, 2018, 05:32:27 PM »
Have you checked it’s not the backing lifting up and touching the needle?
Could you explain that a bit further? I'm about to pull the instrument cluster....
thanks

other Martin
in the sunny Riverina
  • central NSW, Australia
  • K1100RS

Offline Martin

« Reply #3108 on: March 13, 2018, 05:51:42 PM »
Ratz thanks Gryph.
Regards Martin.
  • North Lakes Queensland Australia
  • 1992 K75s Hybrid, Lefaux, Vespa V twin.

Offline alexis291

« Reply #3109 on: March 13, 2018, 06:27:52 PM »
Could you explain that a bit further? I'm about to pull the instrument cluster....
thanks

other Martin
in the sunny Riverina

Behind the needles there is a thin, plastic film on which the graduations and numbers are printed. On my K1100 it warped slightly and lifted up so that the tacho needle touched it. All that was needed to sort it out was to slightly loosen the screws that hold it down, smooth it out and then tighten them down again. You need to remove the guts of the cluster to do this. I know others have had this problem too because I got the idea from another post on the site. I have had to do this twice so maybe a spot of glue under the film might be worth considering. Of course this may not be your problem at all…!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • UK
  • K1100RS 1995

Offline mg1

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #3110 on: March 21, 2018, 09:06:04 PM »
A little more speedo lovin'

You might remember from a few days ago that I was trying to work out what was going on with my speedo, which has a mind of its own from about 100km/h onwards.  In the intervening days, my tame auto sparky made up a cable for me to use with Karamba (I do some of that stuff myself, but I'm too much of an amateur to trust myself with such things on the K) and today I had a chance to hook it all up and do some testing.

First a tip from experience:  read the damn instructions.  Kept wondering why the needle would plummet back to the stop when I hit the higher speed buttons, then I turned up the volume on the Karamba connection to max (as instructed) and it worked like it should.

Once that problem was resolved, I found that the speedo reacts to Karamba just as expected, no problems at all.  In fact I suspect someone's been at the adjustment pot at some time in the past as the thing is dead nuts accurate.

Which I think leaves me with the sender in the final drive.  Unless anyone has a bright idea to the contrary, it looks like I'm buying a new one.

regards to all (and thanks for the suggestions)
other Martin
in the sunny but windy Riverina
  • central NSW, Australia
  • K1100RS

Offline rbm

« Reply #3111 on: March 21, 2018, 09:16:13 PM »
I'd look over the connectors between the sender and harness again. The signal from the OEM sender is low intensity and any corrosion or poor connectivity in the connector can severely degrade the signal getting to the speedo.  I take it you've already removed and cleaned the sender, right?
  • Regards, Robert
Toronto, Ontario

1987 K75 - Build Blog @http://k75retro.blogspot.ca/

Offline mg1

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #3112 on: March 21, 2018, 09:26:19 PM »
To rbm:  yes, sender has been removed and cleaned with electrical contact cleaner, and the plug connection likewise.  No obvious signs of corrosion found.  Thinking on it, I would have thought poor connectivity would tend to lead to the speedo not working rather than over-reading which is what it does now. It would be similar to my first efforts with Karamba when the volume was set too low - impulses didn't make it through to the speedo at higher speed settings so it read zero.  Instead, on the road, the needle can read anything up to double the real road speed. Is my logic sound?
  • central NSW, Australia
  • K1100RS

Offline rbm

« Reply #3113 on: March 21, 2018, 09:42:53 PM »

- you've eliminated the speedo and its electronic as a possible cause through the use of Karamba
- you've performed maintenance on the sender to eliminate stray iron filings as a possible cause
- you've cleaned the electrical contacts to ensure good conductivity and eliminate the connector as a possible cause
The sender depends on a phenomena called variable reluctance to work.  This is achieved by having a 6-toothed iron cog rotate below the sender's pickup. See the sender in the cutaway below and the toothed wheel below it.

I'm not a mechanical engineer but I'm wondering if the problem is mechanical in nature and not electrical. The thought I'm having is that at high speeds, the toothed wheel not being securely attached to the final drive gear is revolving faster than the final drive gears and registering more than 6 pulses per revolution.  There might be nothing to this theory, but I can't think of another reason the speedometer is accurate at low speeds and off at high speed.  Can you check that the toothed cog is not loose? 
  • Regards, Robert
Toronto, Ontario

1987 K75 - Build Blog @http://k75retro.blogspot.ca/

• Administrator
« Reply #3114 on: March 24, 2018, 09:59:08 AM »
Building a small paint booth for my bike parts.  Got tired of dealing with overspray in the garage.  Really important since I am going to use a 2k clear.

Going to be a table with two box fans pulling spray down through filters.  Parts will be on a turntable so I can easily spin them to get all angles.  Small parts will be suspended on frames made from PVC pipe.  Still have to build an enclosure around it to control the airflow.

Now I just need a little warm dry weather.   
  • '91K100RS White/Blue
Current:

Past:

Offline parabrick

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #3115 on: April 05, 2018, 11:00:17 PM »
Installed Eastern Beaver relay kit, changed all fluids, added water wetter and distilled water to radiator and moly to trans and final drive, and finally installed manual fan switch.  Took her out for 50 miles and found 100MPH....whew!  :mm   smoooth running at 100400 + miles. Unreal!
  • Springfield OR
  • 97 K 1100 LT

Offline woodgeek

What Did You Did To Your Motobrick Today ?
« Reply #3116 on: April 06, 2018, 12:25:33 AM »
Checked my splines this evening. 42,501 miles. A little gear oil getting past the final drive seal. The spines are a little dry but they look good. Ready for some lube.

• Henderson, NV
  • 1985 K100RT

Offline beemrdon

« Reply #3117 on: April 06, 2018, 12:45:52 AM »
What did I did...? I changed the oil, trans and final drive fluid. Replaced a burnt out bulb in the gas gauge. Bought a bucket of K 1100 LT nuts and bolts from a dismantler on Flea bay. Changed the plugs and plug wires. Changed the fuel filter. Recently changed out the tires. Still need to change the fork oil and bleed the brakes, change the air filter and air cleaner housing related hoses.
  • The South West... best motorcycling in the US! Longest riding season = 12 months per year
  • 1996 K1100 LT SE, Aspen Silver - Now with 159,xxx miles.

Offline johnny

• TrailBrakingThrottleWhacker
  • Whacking...n...Chopping Sliding...n...High Siding
« Reply #3118 on: April 06, 2018, 07:14:10 AM »
woodgeeks loctite 8012 moly pdf... is it 60% moly... you decide...
  • :johnny i parks my 96 eleven hundert rs motobrick in dodge county cheezconsin  :johnny

• Administrator
« Reply #3119 on: April 06, 2018, 08:13:47 AM »
woodgeeks loctite 8012 moly pdf... is it 60% moly... you decide...

Molybdenum 60-100% (exact amount a trade secret)

Looks pretty good!
  • '91K100RS White/Blue
Current:

Past:

Offline bizzaro

• ^ SuperNatural Motobricker
  • co pilot
« Reply #3120 on: April 06, 2018, 08:59:02 AM »
That shit needs to be tacky as all get out, n hard to remove.  Before ya go out tonight with your best girl (if girls is your preference of course), paint your face up like a warrior with that shit.  Proceed to shower up and get ready for an evening of romance.  If After showering, you still look like Mel Gibson going into battle in Brave Heart, and your best girl is ROTFLHAO, saying she ain't going anywhere till you wash that shit off.  It is prolly good stuff.  And if A week later you still ain't been laid cause she can't get past your face.  Well then you are either married, or it that shit is really good.  Use it on all your splines!! :2thumbup:
  • Vermont
  • Current:1994 BMW K1100LT Previous: 1982 Yamaha virago 920,1973 Honda CB550,1976 Yamaha 650 Special
See Ya in the Twisties,
 Bizz

Offline woodgeek

« Reply #3121 on: April 06, 2018, 11:07:04 AM »
That shit needs to be tacky n hard to remove.  Before ya go out tonight with your best girl (if girls is your preference of course), paint your face up like a warrior with that shit.  Proceed to shower up and get ready for an evening of romance.  If After showering, you still look like Mel Gibson going into battle in Brave Heart, and your best girl is ROTFLHAO, saying she ain't going anywhere till you wash that shit off.  It is prolly good stuff.  And if A week later you still ain't been laid cause she can't get past your face.  Well then you are either married, or it that shit is really good.  Use it on all your splines!! :2thumbup:

Well, I figure there’s more moly on there now than there was before. I only ride a few thousand miles a year so I have some time to ride before the lab gets back to me with results from the moly content analysis. If it’s below 60%, I’ll sell my queered-out custom K, since my shock mount stud is bent. When I sell it, do I have to disclose the low moly content? Which is worse, low moly content or low sperm content. Braveheart would say low moly since he doesn’t want that shit to wash off. [emoji23]
  • Henderson, NV
  • 1985 K100RT

Offline alexis291

« Reply #3122 on: April 07, 2018, 10:47:45 AM »
Fitted a new front tyre today (another Pilot 3) and it’s transformed the handling. Bike feels like it’s on rails, with none of the tramlining and wandering about I was getting before. Old tyre had developed a strange, lumpy wear pattern. Been running at 33 psi but I’m wondering now if I should try a different pressure. Nearly all my journeys are commuting on straight, fast roads.

• UK
  • K1100RS 1995

Offline johnny

• TrailBrakingThrottleWhacker
  • Whacking...n...Chopping Sliding...n...High Siding
« Reply #3123 on: April 07, 2018, 12:43:57 PM »
greetings...

two things the majority of the time... tior pressure and suspension...  since running at sidewall maximum pressure and installing new fork springs and and a new rear shock i have seen even tior wear front and back... thats holds true across 3 eleven hundert rs motobricks...

j o
  • :johnny i parks my 96 eleven hundert rs motobrick in dodge county cheezconsin  :johnny

Offline alexis291

« Reply #3124 on: April 07, 2018, 01:50:31 PM »
Tior pressure is the cheaper option so I will give that a go first. What front pressure do you run Johnny?
  • UK
  • K1100RS 1995