Author Topic: What Did You Did To Your Motobrick Today ?  (Read 1903218 times)

Offline CubPilot

• ^ Motobrick Curious
Re: What Did You Do To Your Motobrick Today ?
« Reply #50 on: September 11, 2011, 10:03:15 PM »
If someone here doesn't have one, go here, $10. and change I understand that they are still available.

http://www.maxbmwmotorcycles.com/fiche/DiagramsMain.aspx?vid=51752&rnd=03252011

Offline Lawrence

• ^ Proficient Motobricker
« Reply #51 on: September 12, 2011, 12:49:02 AM »
CubPilot, You can find the mc for the front brakes on the MaxMoto site?  I sure can't!  At least, not in the group labeled "brakes".  Where else would those crafty BMW types place it?
1985 K100RS

1982 Laverda Mirage 1200TS
1983 BMW R100RS

Offline frankenduck

• Adrninistrator
  • ^ Quintessential Motobricker
« Reply #52 on: September 17, 2011, 12:23:42 PM »
There's still coffee ice cream on your belly pan.
Once I had a Collie pup. Dug a hole and covered him up. Now I sit there by the hour. Waiting for a Collie-flower.
New to K bikes? Click here.
K Bike Maintenance & Mods: Click here.
Buy parts here.

Offline Photog

« Reply #53 on: September 18, 2011, 05:29:36 PM »
Did a driveshaft spline lube on mistress Beemer today. My most ambitious wrenching on the beast so far, though not too bad, all things considered, even though it took me a lot longer than the advertised 1.5 hours.
Plus remounted, again the Laminar Lip, this is its last chance before I resort to drilling holes.

New projects are great for excuses to buy yet more tools.
  • NNE
  • K75-S

Offline Lawrence

« Reply #54 on: September 18, 2011, 07:37:19 PM »
I must undertake a spline lube procedure too, and I'm not looking forward to it one bit. Just how long did it take you?
 I set out this morning to check the condition of the air filter on my 1985 K100RS.  Man, what a trip that was!  Even thing I took off or turned over was filthy/rusty and demanded some attention.   After disassembling rather a lot of bits and bobs, getting to the hose clamp/screw buried under the fuel tank put me over the edge and I threw in the towel. The air filter condition remains a mystery.  I wonder how many shop hours the hapless customer is charged to change the air filter?
1985 K100RS

1983 BMW R100RS

Offline Photog

« Reply #55 on: September 18, 2011, 08:20:21 PM »
Just how long did it take you
3 1/2 hours or so. A lot of that was fetching yet another tool, and just plain taking my time at making sure I was doing everything right.
But it can certainly be done a lot faster, especially if you happen to be familiar with how everything comes apart and goes together.
  • NNE
  • K75-S

Offline WayneDW

• ^ SuperNatural Motobricker
« Reply #56 on: September 18, 2011, 08:24:05 PM »
Lawrence: re the final drive spline lube.  I did it last spring for the first time and it wasn't too bad.  A few hours I suppose.  Here are some good instructions on getting it out:

http://www.largiader.com/removal/

This winter I will be taking on the clutch spline which should be another adventure!
  • Minneapolis, MN, USA
  • 1992 K75RT

Offline frankenduck

• Adrninistrator
« Reply #57 on: September 18, 2011, 09:08:06 PM »
I must undertake a spline lube procedure too, and I'm not looking forward to it one bit. Just how long did it take you?
 I set out this morning to check the condition of the air filter on my 1985 K100RS.  Man, what a trip that was!  Even thing I took off or turned over was filthy/rusty and demanded some attention.   After disassembling rather a lot of bits and bobs, getting to the hose clamp/screw buried under the fuel tank put me over the edge and I threw in the towel. The air filter condition remains a mystery.  I wonder how many shop hours the hapless customer is charged to change the air filter?

Replacing/inspecting the air filter on a K bike
Once I had a Collie pup. Dug a hole and covered him up. Now I sit there by the hour. Waiting for a Collie-flower.
Buy parts here.

Offline Lawrence

« Reply #58 on: September 18, 2011, 11:53:43 PM »
Reading that explanation makes removing the filter sound positively easy.  And to think this afternoon I was on the verge of throwing wrenches against the garage wall.  Maybe I should simply throw the Haynes manual against the wall....
Okay, next weekend I'll have another go at it. Old dog and new tricks.
1985 K100RS

1983 BMW R100RS

Offline motodude

• ^ SuperNatural Motobricker
« Reply #59 on: October 01, 2011, 11:42:53 PM »
I recently purchased an '87 K100RS w/ about 90K on the clock.  Today I got a new rear tyre for it so now it no longer wobbles in slow corners.  I also replaced the gaskets/seals on the valve cover and the crankcase cover.

Tomorrow, I flush the cooling system (or replace the coolant lost when removing the crankcase cover) and clean the starter motor.  Maybe, pull the tank and install headlight relays too.

'95 K75RT
'90 K75RT
'87 K100RS Motorsport
No, I am not cool.  Yes, it really is the journey.

Offline frankenduck

• Adrninistrator
« Reply #60 on: October 02, 2011, 12:08:37 PM »
the bug would not have used up a drop...

j o

It would all be sticking to the outside of the valve cover.....
Buy parts here.

Offline WickedMoto

• Curious
« Reply #61 on: October 06, 2011, 07:17:49 PM »
I tore my K100RS down to the bare frame today in order to due a "deep cleaning" and then paint the frame...still deciding whether to do a stock restoration or due a naked custom....decisions decisions....

Offline cjskach

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #62 on: October 12, 2011, 05:48:52 PM »
Just joined the group, I have been riding my 90 K75RT for 11yrs now with minor regular maintenance at 70K miles. But a couple of weeks ago 2nd gear started slipping due to my terrible commuting traffic. (sometimes 100 foot downs on my ride home) So I am in the process of the tear down and rebuild from the clutch back. Will be replacing the clutch, a newer tranny, new driveline from Hansens and they will also be rebuilding the pinion shaft splines of the final drive. Hope to pull the tranny this weekend and hoping the clutch spline and real seal are ok. Anybody have a clutch alignment tool I can borrow for this job? The driveshaft and FD splines look pretty worn so figure I will get that done while I have it all apart. Will also start using GD525 lube on all the splines since they all look pretty dry since my last FD lube about 10K miles ago using the BMW lube. Any advice on this project would be appreciated.

Regards
Christopher
90 K75RT

Offline frankenduck

• Adrninistrator
« Reply #63 on: October 12, 2011, 06:37:23 PM »
There's a PDF write-up at the bottom of this thread that describes how to do a clutch plate or O-ring procedure: K bike clutches               

It also describes how to align the clutch plate without the clutch centering tool.
Buy parts here.

Offline cjskach

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #64 on: October 12, 2011, 07:55:30 PM »
Still getting familiar with this forum, wondering what the typical life span of a clutch is. I see many posts about clutch lubes but little on clutch replacement. I figured I would do it since I will be in there anyway, it seemed ok but at 70K am I getting close to the lifespan?
Regards
Christopher
90 K75RT

Offline frankenduck

• Adrninistrator
« Reply #65 on: October 12, 2011, 08:12:14 PM »
Hard to say, too many factors involved:

- Rider skill
- How hard it's been ridden
- Touring vs. city miles

Can't hurt to replace it at 70k though.

Buy parts here.

Offline CRASH

« Reply #66 on: October 12, 2011, 09:53:56 PM »
Today ... today I checked the tire pressure ... then I rode it to and from a clients office.  Decided that I like 36 psi in the front more than 38.
- CRASH -

Offline CRASH

« Reply #67 on: October 13, 2011, 12:41:07 AM »
im thinking for crash we should ask what did you do to pongos motoboxer today...

;D

j o

I think we may be done for a while.  I mean ... there isn't anything left now that the wiring, SS brake lines, tire changes, Wilburs Shocks .. Christ, what else have we done to it?  But he pays in good German beer and tri-tip ... looking forward to that next tire change.  ;D

I get my new rear brake rotor any day (maybe tomorrow?) and get to put that on and new pads.
- CRASH -

Offline cjskach

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #68 on: October 13, 2011, 01:12:22 PM »
I would assume these need to be fixed.
Regards
Christopher
90 K75RT

Offline frankenduck

• Adrninistrator
« Reply #69 on: October 13, 2011, 01:45:15 PM »
Yes.  Also looks like the pinion seal on the final drive might be leaking a little.
Buy parts here.

Offline cjskach

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #70 on: October 13, 2011, 02:22:17 PM »
How hard is it to remove the pinion seal and spline? It doesn't cover it in my haynes manual? I need to remove it anyway to send to Hansens to get re-tooled. Should I also replace the bearing? It is a little pricey at over $100.
Regards
Christopher
90 K75RT

Offline w. h. hoon

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #71 on: October 16, 2011, 05:45:57 AM »
I have to admit, didn't do this today. But one of the best things I've done so far. Early 85 k100rs (euro.) left hand dimmer / flash switch was so hard to move off low beam I thought it would break everytime I moved it, so I rarely did. Found a post on cleaning so I did , no help, then I noticed the detent holes were different sizes. evidently the low beam hole is bigger so that when you flash, and let go the switch stops on low. Solution: I took an exacto knife and on the low beam detent hole basically chipped in a VERY SMALL lead in ramp on both sides. Just enough to give the detent pin a help out of the hole. Now I use the flash mode quite often , keeping my thumb on the switch while using it always stops where it is supposed to, I suppose if you just let it fly back maybe a  problem might occur. Hope this can help someone,Great site, keep it going!!!!!!!   
Remember bigger is not always better, this is a VERY SMALL chip!!
W. H. Hoon
early 1985 k100rs euro.

Rick G

« Reply #72 on: October 16, 2011, 06:45:42 AM »
Very good thinking WH I have a couple of spares with that problem, I just might give it a go.

Offline CRASH

« Reply #73 on: October 16, 2011, 07:51:08 PM »
AH ... today was a "new" rear brake rotor.  Cost 1/6 of a new and has 85% of it's life left.  I think that was a fair deal.
- CRASH -

Offline cjskach

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #74 on: October 18, 2011, 03:01:33 PM »
I have pulled everything from the flywheel back on my 90K75RT and ordered all my parts today. It all started with a slipping second gear and now I will basically rebuild the clutch back with a newer tranny, good splines on a used 95 drive shaft, newer 92 final drive with 15K and good spines. Here is the parts breakdown.

92 Tranny 17K      1   Ebay                $360.67
92 15k FD              1   Ebay                $225.00
Drive Shaft              1   Ebay                 $99.00   
GD525 Lube 4oz      1   Guard Dog         $27.10   
swing arm boot      1   33171454552      $18.64      
clutch Plate              1   21211464796      $135.73      
clutch o ring small   1   11211460456      $1.55      
clutch bolts              6   21211454417  $1.48   $8.88      
clutch control Boot  1   23131338731      $35.33      
center stand bolts   4   46521450717  $2.16   $8.64      
muffler gasket      1   18121457142      $13.39      
clutch handle switch1   61311459569      $33.66      
                    Total            $967.59

Hopefully I will have it all back together in a couple of weeks.
Regards
Christopher
90 K75RT