Author Topic: What Did You Did To Your Motobrick Today ?  (Read 1897292 times)

Offline blackie1

• ^ Proficient Motobricker
  • christchurch nz
Re: What Did You Did To Your Motobrick Today ?
« Reply #3300 on: August 31, 2018, 08:36:16 PM »
MDK, how does your bike run at the moment?
pulls hard? good acceleration? smooth?
just curious as to why you have the "4 hole injectors" on your list of things to do.

• christchurch, new zealand , where else would u want to live, really
  • 1991 K75RT naked 67,000kms

Offline The Mighty Gryphon

• Administrator
  • ^ Quintessential Motobricker
« Reply #3301 on: September 01, 2018, 09:52:21 AM »
Sounds like you got a nice deal on your bike.  The more you ride, the more it will grow on you.

Let me offer an opinion that may save you a few dollars that can be spent of gas.  Four hole injectors may or may not be in the snake oil category of Motobrick parts.  Some have found them to make the bike feel like it has more power, others have not.  So far, despite being around for a number of years, there is no dyno data on what they can do for a Motobrick.  Personally, as long as the bike is running well, I would hold off on them until there is some good dyno data. 

Second, when these bikes first came out, there was hardly any coolant being sold for aluminum alloy engines, so it was critical to use the expensive BMW magic elixir.  Nowadays, with nearly every car having an aluminum engine that has to meet EPA specs, most coolants are formulated for aluminum blocks.  I use Peak Long Life in my bricks mixed 40/60 with distilled water and so far have had no problems.  It is readily available and often on sale for less than half what the dealer charges.
  • In my garage in Marilla, NY
  • '91K100RS White/Blue
Current:
'91 K100RS16V "Moby Brick Too"

Past:
'94 K75RT "Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS"
'92 K100RS16V "Moby Brick" (RIP, deceased in a vehicular assault)
'94 K75S Special Edition Dakar Yellow "Cheetos"
'89 K100RS Special Edition "Special Ed"

Offline mdk_mdk

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #3302 on: September 01, 2018, 10:50:03 AM »
Blackie1: My first brick was a 1986 K75C that I purchased new and put 68K on before selling when kids came along (see profile pic), I never thought that bike needed more power. I re-entered motorcycle riding a couple of years ago by purchasing my friends 2003 Yamaha FZ1; it was priced right and I always wanted to experience a UJM 4 cylinder. So moving back to a brick after riding the 120hp FZ1 is a bit of an adjustment, there's nothing like the surge of power when an inline 4 builds revs quickly. But...the FZ1 is really overpowered for the street and I'm more interested in riding a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow. So just looking for a bit more power if I can get it. Regarding TMG's comment below, if there's no evidence that 4-hole injectors create more power, no need to spend the time & money. I did see on one website that sold these injectors that to take full advantage of the them you needed adjust airflow and ignition and they seemed really meant for forced induction setups, not a path I want to go down.

The Mighty Gryphon: Agreed on both points: Still looking into the 4-hole injectors, bike is running great but a bit more power would be nice. The blue coolant note is more to remind me to make sure I use aluminum compatible coolant when I go through the cooling system. First I have to make sure the fan is working, got a temp warning light last weekend in heavy traffic, don't recall the fan kicking on, light went out as soon as we started to move again.
  • Ringoes NJ
  • 1990 K75

Offline jakgieger

• itinerant farmer
  • ^ SuperNatural Motobricker
« Reply #3303 on: September 01, 2018, 09:14:22 PM »
If you are changing injectors solely in order to gain power...it would most likely will not give satisfaction.  If it is time to service (most likely it is due to age and miles) or you are having issues, and you are not able to rework them yourself, then it is something to consider.  I have done it (had to due to varnish) and am happy with the results.  I am not after a stock machine...rather, a highly functional one.  The difference is minimal. 
Someday MG is going to bring his faux SE  :clap: to Kansas and we will test the upgrade (my 10% increase v his 4valve)!!!!!
  • Kansas USA
  • 1989 K100rs se
"What we've got here is failure, to communicate.  Some men, you just cain't reach.  So you get what we had here last week.  Which is the way he wants it...Well, he gets it.  I don't like it any more than you men do."

Offline mdk_mdk

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #3304 on: September 02, 2018, 11:03:04 AM »
That is one nice looking RS @jakgieger!  :mb
  • Ringoes NJ
  • 1990 K75

Offline jakgieger

• itinerant farmer
  • ^ SuperNatural Motobricker
« Reply #3305 on: September 02, 2018, 11:35:48 AM »
Thanks :),  I like MG's and am proposing a valid experiment on injector mods :neener: :hehehe .
  • Kansas USA
  • 1989 K100rs se
"What we've got here is failure, to communicate.  Some men, you just cain't reach.  So you get what we had here last week.  Which is the way he wants it...Well, he gets it.  I don't like it any more than you men do."

Offline mdk_mdk

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #3306 on: September 02, 2018, 12:34:00 PM »
So today I tackled the drive spline lubrication on the Cape Cod K75 (I really have to come up with a name for this bike).

Everything came apart nicely with just the driveshaft u-joint sticking a bit coming out of the swing arm housing; I dressed the edges of the housing with a file and re-installation was smoother.

The driveshaft-final drive splines looked good, no obvious wear or damage and they were weren't dry but the grease was like brown mud. The other end of the driveshaft was very clean and a bit dry with just a little bit of the BMW red grease left on the splines.

I cleaned everything up and lubed both spline sets with some Staburags NBU 30 PTM spline lube that I purchased off eBay in preparation for a winter clutch spline lubrication project.

Pictures below are of the splines before I finished cleaning them, it's amazing how much lint is in the white towels that you get from Costco, Home Depot, etc.!

Bonus picture is my original K75C back when I took the obligatory solo camping trip ride down the Blue Ridge Parkway. No date on the back of the picture but I'm going to say it was probably early 1990's.
  • Ringoes NJ
  • 1990 K75

Offline mdk_mdk

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #3307 on: September 09, 2018, 05:08:50 PM »
Cleaned the commutator ring on the Cape Cod K75 starter today, followed the excellent tutorial from @robmack on the K100-forum:
http://www.k100-forum.com/t2342-starter-motor-cleaning-tutorial
There was some black debris inside the starter and the commutator ring was dark but not that worn (see pics below).
Used some contact cleaner and a light dusting with some Scotch Brite to clean the ring.
Put everything back together and and she started right up!

It's cooled down to a reasonable temperature here in NJ so it's very pleasant out in the garage.
Raining all weekend so no riding, looking forward to a nice ride next weekend as long as hurricane Florence doesn't interfere!
  • Ringoes NJ
  • 1990 K75

Offline Snowman

• Aberdeen SD.
« Reply #3308 on: September 14, 2018, 01:12:40 PM »
I broke one of the heads off one of the nuts holding the oil filter cover. Beemerboneyard had a oil pan for me so that is what I will be swapping as soon as it arrives. Bummer.

Offline herseyb

« Reply #3309 on: September 14, 2018, 02:59:03 PM »
Scheiße!!  I didn't do anything! It did it all all by itself over night.

Clutch arm seal prolly?
  • Brooklyn
  • '93 K1100RS

Offline paratrooper34

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #3310 on: September 14, 2018, 07:15:11 PM »
Well, not so much of a "What I did today" post but rather what I did over the last couple of weeks.  This is my '88 K75S.

Got a rear luggage rack for the tail from a great member here (Shout out, Jim!).  Had it cleaned up and powder coated along with the exhaust shield.  Ordered a bunch of small parts from MaxBMW such as: new fasteners for exhaust shield, locks for luggage, tinted windscreen, front brake pads, new mirrors, "absorber" for kick stand, and mud flap.  It's amazing how many new parts are still available for this bike.  Squeezing in time between my classes, I finally got all of the pieces installed and ready to go back out on the road.

• Western Mass
  • 1988 K75S, 2011 Ducati 1198SP, 1973 Triumph Trident (undergoing restoration)
Mike
US Army (RET)

Offline beemuker

« Reply #3311 on: September 14, 2018, 08:18:28 PM »
look'in good paratrooper, like the black belly fairing. bought a front fender extender but mine still looks a little rough.
  • Panama City, FL
  • '00 R1100RT,’92 K75 RT,past tense:'83 R80ST, '93 K1100LT,,94 R1100RS K75s, Honda NC700, Suzuki Bandit 1200, bmw R75/5 Honda 750
Agree Agree x 1 View List

• Administrator
« Reply #3312 on: September 14, 2018, 09:04:37 PM »
Wow!  That looks good!
  • '91K100RS White/Blue
Current:

Past:

Offline caveman

« Reply #3313 on: September 14, 2018, 09:14:30 PM »
I'm a bit jealous, that is one nice looking motor cycle!
  • Kennerdell, PA.
  • 87 K100RT, 88 K100LT

Offline paratrooper34

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #3314 on: September 15, 2018, 07:58:11 AM »
I'm a bit jealous, that is one nice looking motor cycle!

Thanks, she is a good ten footer :)
  • Western Mass
  • 1988 K75S, 2011 Ducati 1198SP, 1973 Triumph Trident (undergoing restoration)
Mike
US Army (RET)

Offline Laitch

• Faster than a speeding pullet
  • Administrator
« Reply #3315 on: September 15, 2018, 08:22:45 AM »
Well, not so much of a "What I did today" post but rather what I did over the last couple of weeks.   Had it cleaned up and powder coated along with the exhaust shield.  Ordered a bunch of small parts from MaxBMW such as: . . . and mud flap.
The Iron Cross is a nice touch.  :2thumbup:
  • Along the Ridley in Vermont.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles
I wept because I had no radials until I met a man who had no splines.
https://tinyurl.com/RillRider

Offline rbm

« Reply #3316 on: September 15, 2018, 11:54:19 AM »
Ok, so I started a dead battery saga on another thread.  Rather than highjack that thread, I'll post the story here.  What I did to my Motobrick today....

This is no crash, Laitch, but electrical suicide is more along the lines of what happened.  So, driving home from work, beautiful evening, mid-20's, sunny.  Bike starts up great after being parked all day.  I got about halfway home and accidentally stalled the engine.  Instantly all lights went out - dash lights, gauge lights, headlight, all signs of life gone, DOA.  Pulled over to the side of the road and did fuse checks and other diagnosis but still couldn't get any sign of electrical activity in any circuit.  The positive terminal of the battery was caked, and I mean caked, in green oxide.  The terminal lugs were stuck together and I could barely get the terminal screw to turn.  All this was brand new looking only 5 months ago.  I knew something was very wrong with the battery.

Had Ed's number so gave him a call.  Luckily he was just around the corner at the Bank and he popped by eventually.  We concluded that the battery was completely dead.  Pushed the bike to his place (no mean feat since I had a sore back and he is recovering from an accident with a broken wrist), put the battery on charge and there it's been.

What I don't understand is how the battery went from OK downtown to dead as a doornail in 20 km of riding.  The battery is less than 2 years old.  AGM so it's sealed and I have no way to top up acid. I conclude it must be Cheap Chinese junk based on the price.  False economy on my part to buy it; I knew better.

Fast forward to Friday.  Found a replacement battery from my Moto Guzzi at home and, although I suspected it to be weak, I took it along to Ed's for try for a replacement.  Swapped the batteries and got life into the bike but she still wouldn't turn over.  Opened the relay box and tested power into the starter relay -- good 12V.  Checked the output of the starter relay going to the starter motor.  The relay was engaging but I got no output voltage when I pressed the starter button, and of course the starter was dead.  Ah ha, bad starter relay to boot.  Tore the case off and gazed upon burned contacts that were so bad, one pair was actually missing.  Hmmm, looks like a new starter relay in my future along with a new battery. 

This morning, I found the one spare starter relay I owned in my stash, swapped it for the broken one, and borrowed Ed's battery since it was obvious that the Moto Guzzi wasn't strong enough to turn over the engine (which it tried to do after the relay swap).  Once Ed's battery was in place, the bike started up like before.  Rode it home and she back in my garage.

So, new relay - check.  Ordered an Odyssey PC680 from Saskbattery - check.  Thank Bocutter Ed profusely -- check!
  • Regards, Robert
Toronto, Ontario

1987 K75 - Build Blog @http://k75retro.blogspot.ca/

Offline Scott_

• Administrator
« Reply #3317 on: September 15, 2018, 03:03:40 PM »
Tracked down a vacuum leak and secured the hoses better..... doh, as well as some general inspection..
  • My Garage
1995 K1100LT 0302044
1997 R1100RT ZC62149
2017 FLHTK Ultra Limited
1997 K1100LT 0302488 (R.I.P.)
"One who does not ask questions is ashamed to learn" Danish proverb

Offline mdk_mdk

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #3318 on: September 15, 2018, 05:52:58 PM »
Clicked over 57K on the Cape Cod Brick today.
  • Ringoes NJ
  • 1990 K75

Offline blackie1

• christchurch nz
« Reply #3319 on: September 15, 2018, 10:56:48 PM »
before I started this tune up I thought my bike was running great

about 3 x weeks ago I checked and adjusted the valve clearances, replaced air filter and installed a new set of plugs.
and felt an immediate improvement after doing just this.

today I got around to balancing the throttle bodies with the aid of the "morgan carbtune pro" https://www.carbtune.com/ 

pretty effortless procedure and the engine went from smooth to very smooth.

enjoyed reading up on these procedures on this forum and learnt a lot.
very satisfying to do something to the moto to take it from running great to RUNNING GREAT

• christchurch, new zealand , where else would u want to live, really
  • 1991 K75RT naked 67,000kms

• Administrator
« Reply #3320 on: September 17, 2018, 08:46:06 PM »
I've been riding Moby Brick Too for about a month now with no rear brake.  I did something when I bled it that resulted in it not building any pressure.  I've been down this road before, so rather than waste a lot of money on a rebuild kit or heaven forbid a new master cylinder yawl I opted for the rational choice, a cheap(less than $15) Chinese master cylinder. 

It arrived today, and I spent a couple hours installing it.  One problem I had was the thread in the cylinder did not match the thread on the OEM brake line.  Fortunately, I had an old brake line in good shape with a Banjo fitting that worked perfectly.  Brakes are bled and the rear hauls the bike down like a big anchor.  Love it!

Also installed a set of Pro Grip gel grips.  Had them on the Moby Brick and really liked them.

Moby Too is pretty close to being totally dialed in for me.  I just need to do the valve shims and the clutch splines this winter and it'll be running as smooth as his namesake.
  • '91K100RS White/Blue
Current:

Past:

• Administrator
« Reply #3321 on: September 24, 2018, 10:50:57 PM »
One of the nicest thing about buying a brick that's been sitting for a while is when it finally wakes up and starts to run like it's supposed to.  Last week I ran a tank of gas with Techron through Moby Brick Too's engine and then on Saturday did a fill up with no-corn 90 octane.  About 10 miles into that tank of gas the buzz in the grips almost disappeared, especially in the 65-80 mph range and the power noticeably increased.  Idle is a bit smoother(it already was pretty good) and throttle response is getting better. 

I suspect that one or more injectors were gummed up from sitting idle for 5 years and that after a thousand+ miles have finally broken loose.  Looking forward to checking valve clearances and balancing the throttle bodies again this winter.

The difference in running from when I first got it to now is like night and day.  It's almost running as good as the Moby Brick did now. 

Another job done was to replace some of the clips that hold the mirror/turn signals to the fairing.  The mirrors were so loose that the slightest bump would knock them off.  With the new clips they feel incredibly secure and can take quite a shot without loosening. 

The clips are rather expensive, even by BMW standards(over $6 for a tiny bit of metal), but the improvement in how solid the even more costly mirror assemblies are is more than worth the investment.  My suggestion is if you have an RS with delicate mirror attachments you should get some of these clips.  I'm pretty sure you will notice the improvement.
  • '91K100RS White/Blue
Current:

Past:

Offline Laitch

• Faster than a speeding pullet
  • Administrator
« Reply #3322 on: September 24, 2018, 11:41:45 PM »
So today I tackled the drive spline lubrication on the Cape Cod K75 (I really have to come up with a name for this bike).
How about The Codpiece?
  • Along the Ridley in Vermont.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles
I wept because I had no radials until I met a man who had no splines.
https://tinyurl.com/RillRider

Offline Scott_

• Administrator
« Reply #3323 on: September 25, 2018, 06:41:21 AM »
This last weekend both bikes got new shoes.... Bridgstone A41's.   They are available in stock LT sizes... They also came with a $30 per tire rebate.

edit:  Yea, I had a typo...
  • My Garage
1995 K1100LT 0302044
1997 R1100RT ZC62149
2017 FLHTK Ultra Limited
1997 K1100LT 0302488 (R.I.P.)
"One who does not ask questions is ashamed to learn" Danish proverb

• Administrator
« Reply #3324 on: September 25, 2018, 08:23:00 AM »
Scott, do you mean the Bridgestone A41 radial?  They look very interesting.  I really like that they aren't semi-knobbies, but have what looks like a road tire tread pattern.

I might finally be able to put radial tires on my K75RT!

https://www.bridgestone.com/products/motorcycle_tires/products/detail/pr142/
  • '91K100RS White/Blue
Current:

Past: