Author Topic: What Did You Did To Your Motobrick Today ?  (Read 1897264 times)

Offline Martin

• ^ Quintessential Motobricker
Re: What Did You Did To Your Motobrick Today ?
« Reply #3225 on: July 20, 2018, 06:35:41 PM »
I went for a ride out to Old Petrie Town and joined the North Pine Trades Guild $30.00 AU per year. There are three parts to it woodworking, metalworking and the metal foundry. You can pick what you want to do, or do the lot. You can work on your own projects or group projects, group project's are mainly for things that are for sale to the general public. Money raised from the sales goes to buy equipment and extensions to the shed.  Besides doing your own projects you are expected to contribute to group projects which mainly seem to consist of objects made in the woodworking section and the foundry. The general public can come in with projects that they can have done and a fee is charged . I will probably stick mainly with the metal shop and the foundry. I can't seem to think of anything for the Brick that I can make out of wood.

I had a good look around the metal shop and checked out the equipment. A really good turret mill with power feed two good metal lathes, a  power broacher, a power key way cutter, drop saw,arc and oxy welders.  All the hand tools and electric and air tool you could possibly need. They have a couple of major projects going a large CNC machine is being built for one of the other workshops. There is another small CNC machine around that I did'nt see. My first job is to rebuild my drive shaft I am looking at blocking it off so there is an actual reservoir of grease. I'll start by making a copper heatsink so as not to put too much heat into the rubber shaft damper. They open Tuesdays, Fridays mornings and Sundays. Apparently they have made quite a few hard to obtain car and bike parts.
Regards Martin.
  • North Lakes Queensland Australia
  • 1992 K75s Hybrid, Lefaux, Vespa V twin.

Offline mw074

• ^ Proficient Motobricker
« Reply #3226 on: July 20, 2018, 07:00:50 PM »
  • Michigan

Offline Martin

« Reply #3227 on: July 20, 2018, 11:43:44 PM »
There you go. :2thumbup: If I made a wooden Brick it probably wooden go. :dunno I don't think my skill set is at that level, but definitely something to aim for. I have also come up with a few more things to make. One of the guys asked me how my fuel cooler went, I told him it was great on the highway but not much good around town. He said I needed to see a guy on Tuesday who is very good at designing coolers and heat exchangers. Definitely looking forward to Tuesday.
Regards Martin.
  • North Lakes Queensland Australia
  • 1992 K75s Hybrid, Lefaux, Vespa V twin.

Offline BlitzenGruv

• My first BMW. Been riding old British forever..
« Reply #3228 on: July 23, 2018, 08:59:23 PM »
I was mistaken. The fuel line I replaced was the return line. The one which is leaking is the short one from the regulator to the fuel rail.
I got the injectors off and the throttle bodies.
I really appreciate this post by Mystic Red http://www.motobrick.com/index.php/topic,624.0.html#top
The bushings look good and the O rings were still pliable, but I have new ones so they're going on.
Just gotta find a shop to clean the injectors.
  • Crossville, TN
  • '92 K100rs, 16v, '71 BSA Lightning, '72 Triumph Bonneville, '72 Triumph Trident
You say I'm schizophrenic, but I don't believe we are.

Offline Chaos

• Administrator
  • Mars needs women!
« Reply #3229 on: July 26, 2018, 10:25:44 AM »
out with the old, in with the new
  • sw ohio
1987 K75S    VIN 0231
Original owner, Original litter
200,000 miles (plus or minus) and 5 paint jobs
sold 6/23
2023 Ural 2WD sidecar (BMW's bastard step child)
Agree Agree x 1 View List

Offline stokester

• ^ SuperNatural Motobricker
« Reply #3230 on: July 28, 2018, 02:52:09 PM »
As some of you know I had an unexpected ride into a ditch last weekend.  In addition to injuring my pride and scratching the front fender, RH fairing and belly pan it also tore the cover off of the RH case.  Both cover latches and the hinges broke but the case cover was remarkably in good shape as the hinges were sacrificed.

I am as vocal as most about the prices of BMW parts but I always caveat that with "but I can get them for the most part".  This repair was no different, I ordered the latches from Bob's @ $27.01 each and had some hinges which I see are only $8 and it was at my house in three days.  The latches came with the catch and pop rivets (although only 5 not 6 which is what is needed to replace all?) and the hinge package I had included enough for both cases (4).

So for just over $60 I was able to transfer the lock cores, drill out the rivets (a right-angle drill comes in handy) and install the new latches and hinges.  Not like trying to find parts for my '81 Yamaha!
  • Yorktown Virginia
  • '94 K75S Dakar Yellow - '93 K75S Seiden Blau - '91 R100RT Bermuda Blue- '78 R100S Smoke Red

Offline Skunky

• ^ SuperNatural Motobricker
Re: What Did You Do To Your Motobrick Today ?
« Reply #3231 on: July 29, 2018, 04:02:12 AM »
LED-ified the front reflectors

Just wired as running lights at the moment though the final plan is to have them also flash with the turn signals.

Love that idea. Mine didn't have the reflectors on when I bought it. May just look out for some now.
  • Derby GB
  • BMW K100lt
Rebuild it and they will come..
90 K100lt
Triumph Thruxton 900
Honda CB400F

Offline BlitzenGruv

« Reply #3232 on: July 31, 2018, 10:31:23 PM »
The good news is that all my injectors measure correct resistance.
The bad news is that nobody in this town has the proper equipment to clean them, including the BMW dealer.
Gotta pack them up and ship them off. Maybe in two weeks I'll get them back.
I'm tired of hearing how the interweb is putting local folks out of business.
  • Crossville, TN
  • '92 K100rs, 16v, '71 BSA Lightning, '72 Triumph Bonneville, '72 Triumph Trident

Offline The Mighty Gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #3233 on: August 01, 2018, 01:52:45 PM »
Finally got the ambition to finish the paint booth for my k100RS.  Now I just have to decide what color the bike is going to be and get the paint.
  • In my garage in Marilla, NY
  • '91K100RS White/Blue
Current:
'91 K100RS16V "Moby Brick Too"

Past:
'94 K75RT "Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS"
'92 K100RS16V "Moby Brick" (RIP, deceased in a vehicular assault)
'94 K75S Special Edition Dakar Yellow "Cheetos"
'89 K100RS Special Edition "Special Ed"

Offline blackie1

• christchurch nz
« Reply #3234 on: August 01, 2018, 03:32:26 PM »
good job.
will you be painting your paint booth in a paint booth.
back to the workshop Gryph
  • christchurch, new zealand , where else would u want to live, really
  • 1991 K75RT naked 67,000kms

• Administrator
« Reply #3235 on: August 01, 2018, 03:38:56 PM »
You got me, Blackie!  I'm still up in the air as to the color for the BIKE.  Fixed it.
  • '91K100RS White/Blue
Current:

Past:

Offline Scott_

• Administrator
« Reply #3236 on: August 07, 2018, 06:47:27 AM »
I installed a replacement windscreen motor..... Got a good used one for less than $20 shipped.  :clap:
I've read it elsewhere, and I'll repeat it here. If you need a replacement gear/motor assembly for your LT windscreen, look for a sunroof gear/motor assy from an 89-95 BMW E34 Series 5.. Direct fit, including the wiring connector.
These seem to be more readily available than trying to find one off of another bike, and a whole lot cheaper.

The one thing I did have to do, when they 'tested' the motor for function, they must have bypassed the limit switches when they ran the motor. I had to do the same thing and run it back to the point the switches activated again. Other than that, it runs perfect.
  • My Garage
1995 K1100LT 0302044
1997 R1100RT ZC62149
2017 FLHTK Ultra Limited
1997 K1100LT 0302488 (R.I.P.)
"One who does not ask questions is ashamed to learn" Danish proverb

Offline BlitzenGruv

« Reply #3237 on: August 08, 2018, 06:53:39 PM »
Got my injectors back today. The numbers show marginal improvement, they were clean to start with.
I put them back in the fuel rail and mounted the assembly. Turned the key on and off a few times, no leaks.
But, the thing won't start. All fuses are good. I shorted the side stand switch just in case. Still no joy.
Guess I'll take off the line from the regulator at the fuel rail to see if fuel is getting there. Is there any need to bleed the fuel system? All the fuel lines were replaced.
  • Crossville, TN

Offline Supershooter

« Reply #3238 on: August 08, 2018, 10:38:02 PM »
Got my injectors back today. The numbers show marginal improvement, they were clean to start with.
I put them back in the fuel rail and mounted the assembly. Turned the key on and off a few times, no leaks.
But, the thing won't start. All fuses are good. I shorted the side stand switch just in case. Still no joy.
Guess I'll take off the line from the regulator at the fuel rail to see if fuel is getting there. Is there any need to bleed the fuel system? All the fuel lines were replaced.

Are your plugs wet after you crank the bike over? Is your fuel pump running? Is it creating the right amount of fuel pressure?

Supershooter
  • Liberty Township, O'brien County, Iowa
  • 85 K100 RT

Offline BlitzenGruv

« Reply #3239 on: August 09, 2018, 01:37:17 AM »
From what I can make out from the wiring diagram the side stand switch completes the connection to the fuel pump relay. Does this mean that the fuel pump does not run until the side stand is retracted?
Do I need to retract the side stand just to put pressure to the fuel system?
LUNACY!
Perhaps I only need to retract the stand and turn on the key for long enough the pressurize the fuel system?
  • Crossville, TN

Offline Laitch

• Faster than a speeding pullet
  • Administrator
« Reply #3240 on: August 09, 2018, 02:02:34 AM »
From what I can make out from the wiring diagram the side stand switch completes the connection to the fuel pump relay. Does this mean that the fuel pump does not run until the side stand is retracted?
From a Rider's Manual:
  • Along the Ridley in Vermont.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles
I wept because I had no radials until I met a man who had no splines.
https://tinyurl.com/RillRider

Offline BlitzenGruv

« Reply #3241 on: August 09, 2018, 03:48:21 AM »
Looking at the diagram I downloaded here. The side stand switch does not interrupt the ignition circuit, as it should. Instead it interrupts the circuit to the fuel pump.
Who am I to believe?
  • Crossville, TN

Offline Laitch

• Faster than a speeding pullet
  • Administrator
« Reply #3242 on: August 09, 2018, 03:50:48 AM »
Looking at the diagram I downloaded here. The side stand switch does not interrupt the ignition circuit, as it should. Instead it interrupts the circuit to the fuel pump.
Who am I to believe?
The side stand is "linked to ignition" because it cuts off the fuel supply when in the down position. Without fuel, there is nothing to ignite. It's doing what what it should do as a safety feature. Riding off with the side stand down sometimes means the first left turn leads to an emergency room.
  • Along the Ridley in Vermont.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles
I wept because I had no radials until I met a man who had no splines.
https://tinyurl.com/RillRider

• Administrator
« Reply #3243 on: August 09, 2018, 09:41:15 AM »
The sidestand switch interrupts the fuel pump operation when the stand is down.  While you can run the starter motor, you cannot start the engine when it's down and you won't hear the fuel pump run when you turn the key on.  Putting it down when the engine is running will immediately kill the engine.

Because the microswitch that is connected to the sidestand is under the bike they can be prone to failure(I had to replace one on my first K100RS 16V).  The cable and the connector run up the right side of the bike, and are in a spot where they are disturbed when doing spline lubes or other service that requires moving the footpeg plate or the transmission.  It's possible that one of the wire connections in the switch's plug is bad.

If you can find the plug it's possible to jumper the connector to eliminate the sidestand switch so it doesn't interfere with fuel pump operation.  That is an easy way to see if that is your problem.
  • '91K100RS White/Blue
Current:

Past:

Offline BlitzenGruv

« Reply #3244 on: August 09, 2018, 03:22:06 PM »
OK, I shorted the side stand switch. I hear the fuel pump whir then stop.
I pulled the return fuel line off at the fuel rail, nothing came out. Spun the engine with my finger over the outlet, no pressure felt, no mess, no fuel.
I guess it all has to come apart again.
  • Crossville, TN

Offline Gibson

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #3245 on: August 09, 2018, 03:32:42 PM »
Changed a front tire on the K75. Avon 100/90-18. Rides nice. Finally ditched the 25 year old Metzler. Not worn out, but don't trust it... Rear is next.
  • Dix Hills NY
  • K75 ABS and R100Mystic

Offline K1300S

« Reply #3246 on: August 09, 2018, 03:44:28 PM »
changed four tires.  by hand.  94 K75S and 96 K1100RS both got new shoes.

K75 got Mich Pilot Activ
K1100 got Mich Pilot Road 3's

the rear on the K1100 was a real beeach to do.

the rejects.  both over 10 years old.  lots of tread, but nasty hard and dry rotted.

Project Thread "K75s Midlife Refresh"
http://www.motobrick.com/index.php/topic,7810.0.html

Offline K1300S

« Reply #3247 on: August 09, 2018, 03:58:31 PM »
Changed a front tire on the K75. Avon 100/90-18. Rides nice. Finally ditched the 25 year old Metzler. Not worn out, but don't trust it... Rear is next.

yikes! you were riding on 25yr old tires?   that is scary.  anything over 5 yrs old should be replaced. rubber gets hard and looses traction.  i just threw away a set of dunlops with only about 100 miles on them that were 10 years old.
Project Thread "K75s Midlife Refresh"
http://www.motobrick.com/index.php/topic,7810.0.html

Offline zenitramnaes

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #3248 on: August 09, 2018, 08:16:04 PM »
Replaced my crankcase breather hose today. Hopefully new battery, handlebars, control levers and brake bleed tomorrow.
  • USA
  • '85 K100rs

Offline blackie1

• christchurch nz
« Reply #3249 on: August 10, 2018, 03:15:03 AM »
snap! replaced my crankcase breather hose today also, the old one was still intact with no perishing.
still, 10 minute job and peace of mind.
  • christchurch, new zealand , where else would u want to live, really
  • 1991 K75RT naked 67,000kms