Author Topic: What Did You Did To Your Motobrick Today ?  (Read 1903223 times)

Offline The Mighty Gryphon

• Administrator
  • ^ Quintessential Motobricker
Re: What Did You Did To Your Motobrick Today ?
« Reply #2700 on: May 25, 2017, 06:55:45 PM »
I file down the plug that goes into the rubber grommet on the tank so it comes out a lot easier.  I also grease the plug with Vaseline to help get it out easier.   
  • In my garage in Marilla, NY
  • '91K100RS White/Blue
Current:
'91 K100RS16V "Moby Brick Too"

Past:
'94 K75RT "Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS"
'92 K100RS16V "Moby Brick" (RIP, deceased in a vehicular assault)
'94 K75S Special Edition Dakar Yellow "Cheetos"
'89 K100RS Special Edition "Special Ed"

Offline Supershooter

• ^ Proficient Motobricker
« Reply #2701 on: May 25, 2017, 10:12:32 PM »
Ordered a rubber gaiter for the master cylinder, from dealer over the phone, and he's going to mail it to me for a buck, that saves me a 140 mile trip.
Supershooter
  • Liberty Township, O'brien County, Iowa
  • 85 K100 RT

Offline Hilltopper46

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #2702 on: May 25, 2017, 10:57:47 PM »
Installed the new oil pressure sender so now I'll know when I don't have oil pressure.

Stuffed a bunch of ukkem pukkem and schmooie into the gap between the #4 exhaust tube and the muffler to try to quiet it down a bit.  It worked better than I thought it might.

Took it for a 25 miles test ride.
  • East Troy, WI
  • 1995 K1100LT
Current bike - 1995 K1100LT - It RUNS!. You says Plum, DMV says Purple, BMW says Navana Violet.

Previously: 1982 XJ650 Yamaha, 1987 GoldWing, 1995 GoldWing, 2001 FLSTC, 2003 Goldwing

Offline jaxon

« Reply #2703 on: May 25, 2017, 11:09:03 PM »

I finally got around to the Spiegler brake lines. Turns out the front line they sent had a f10 and a banjo. The mount point is an F11. Spiegler said there were a few odd balls and sent me another line. This was a 390mm with 2 F-10's. Doesn't have the space to mount. Still wrong. Needed an F10 and F11. So that isn't on yet. "I'll send you a line with 2 F10's" He said. I says I need a F10 and a F11. "Same difference!" No, not quite. I changed the rear brake lines, which oddly enough gave this amateur little or no problem. I must have been lucky or there's a beefy air bubble that's holding on. I need to check that again.

On the other hand I ran CD2 thru the engine after I made the earlier mistake I made running a moly based oil recommended before I found this site. Really farked my sh*t up and the sprag clutch whine got me. I didn't have that issue before I used that debeels oil. So now it's worse, not even intermittent. Naturally I'm pissed. Now it's harder than hell to push start, wasn't before. When it did start the engine ran smoother after the CD2 and oil change. No more occasional whine, it's a constant. Let it run awhile and rode it around. Back to the whine.

Then I notice the headlight is on in park but not run. The tail lights don't work and both come on when I hit one of them. Dammit. I notice if I put it in gear and rock the rear wheel the headlight comes on. I recheck the ground on the right side. So why in the hell is the headlights acting weird? The grounds I can find are tighter than a whales sphincter, water tight. I've been digging thru wires all day and cleaning contacts. Can't find anything. Yeah, charged the battery with a real charger for a few hours. So I'm kinda fighting a variety of gremlins. I suspect the starter brushes are the cause of the headlight and running lights working intermittently.

I should have never put that moly crap in the engine to start with. So I notice the old BSP plug thing for the access to the sprag. Great, it's under the airbox. So is there enough space for a BSP plug? The guy that did this is running carbs on his bike. It easy access for him. I gotta pull the tank and yank the airbox out.

I started off replacing the fuel filter, rubber bits, plugs, oil and did a spline lube and now this. My F800GT is a release to the frustration I'm having with this K-Bike and might end up costing me time and money.

I had a bite on my listing and divulged I'm having a sprag clutch issue. His starter rely on his K75RT is fused. I'd be lucky at this point to have that be my only issue. Jesus, I just moved and where in the hell is my multimeter?

I did my duty replacing and doing the stuff you're supposed to do. No time to fiddle with this and ride, live and work. Still for sale. I swear I don't know how people can own and maintain more than 3 bikes. I don't have the time or patience.

I'm considering a R1200GS with the hope it's reputation will spare me and give me time to actually ride. I need one bike to do general maintenance on that takes me riding more than wrenching.

End of rant.

• Indiana
  • '92 K75S, '17 R1200GS LC
--
This space for rent

Offline Martin

« Reply #2704 on: May 26, 2017, 12:33:30 AM »

Jaxon have a look at this for sprague fix.   http://k-bike-knowledge.000webhostapp.com/mechanical/sprag_clutch/starter_clutch.htm
Regards Martin.
  • North Lakes Queensland Australia
  • 1992 K75s Hybrid, Lefaux, Vespa V twin.

Offline Elipten

• ^ SuperNatural Motobricker
« Reply #2705 on: May 26, 2017, 08:21:37 AM »
  You can't blame the bike for you getting bad advice and putting moly in the engine.  These bikes are highly reliable after you refresh them to like new status.  Age and wear is the issue.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
  • San Antonio, TX
  • 1990 K75RT

• Administrator
« Reply #2706 on: May 26, 2017, 08:57:01 AM »
You have learned a valuable lesson about the moly.  The sprag is sensitive to that stuff.  Mine started to slip after just using a bit of moly assembly paste on the valve stems and cams when I did a valve stem seal job last year.  Fortunately, a good engine flush got it all out(and probably some dirt, too) and it hasn't skipped a beat in the 6,000 miles since.
  • '91K100RS White/Blue
Current:

Past:

Offline thecableguy

« Reply #2707 on: May 26, 2017, 09:34:22 AM »
I suspect the starter brushes are the cause of the headlight and running lights working intermittently.
+1

Also a starter that doesn't spin with full power can cause the sprag clutch to not fully engage.  I know because mine did...  Do a starter rebuild.

Jim
  • Madison, WI USA
  • 86 K100RT - Brünhild
...to make a long story short, use duct tape.

Offline jaxon

« Reply #2708 on: May 26, 2017, 11:34:12 AM »
You have learned a valuable lesson about the moly.  The sprag is sensitive to that stuff.  Mine started to slip after just using a bit of moly assembly paste on the valve stems and cams when I did a valve stem seal job last year.  Fortunately, a good engine flush got it all out(and probably some dirt, too) and it hasn't skipped a beat in the 6,000 miles since.

Nice James Brown avatar. One of the greats!

Yes, yes I have. Holy Moly Moly is bad. So I figure I need starter brushes. Ordered. I think I'd prefer the brushes rather that the kit, being cheap and all. Seems they are crimped down rather than screwed. Couldn't google find just a set of alternative brushes so I ordered the kit. I think this is a contributing issue as the thecableguy points out and other posts.

• Indiana
--
This space for rent

Offline Laitch

• Faster than a speeding pullet
  • Administrator
« Reply #2709 on: May 26, 2017, 11:59:59 AM »
:hehehe
You'll be missed, jaxon, that is, if you ever get around to leaving. :giggles
  • Along the Ridley in Vermont.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles
I wept because I had no radials until I met a man who had no splines.
https://tinyurl.com/RillRider

Offline Nine80seven

« Reply #2710 on: May 26, 2017, 12:37:24 PM »
Always thought that applying lube to threads after first disassembly reduced the torque needed?  Any torque experts out there? 
  • MN
  • 85 K100RS

Offline Laitch

• Faster than a speeding pullet
  • Administrator
« Reply #2711 on: May 26, 2017, 12:45:59 PM »
Always thought that applying lube to threads after first disassembly reduced the torque needed?  Any torque experts out there?
There a boatloads of them out there on the Web, Nine80seven, at variance with each other and themselves. Was that thought one you've had since chidlhood?
  • Along the Ridley in Vermont.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles
I wept because I had no radials until I met a man who had no splines.
https://tinyurl.com/RillRider

• Administrator
« Reply #2712 on: May 26, 2017, 12:53:09 PM »

Actually it's his twin sister, Maxine Waters.  While she hasn't made many waves in the music business, she is a national treasure for her unintentional comedy routines. 

I no longer want to be a politically incorrect heterosexual Caucasian male so recently decided to identify as a disabled black lesbian with moderate Islamic leanings.  Maxine is how I want to identify as to appearance.   That my internet image looks like brother James Brown is a nice bonus.   I love his music.
  • '91K100RS White/Blue
Current:

Past:

Offline MCRyder

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #2713 on: May 26, 2017, 04:19:40 PM »
Getting the RT prepped for the Paonia TOR Rally in July

Got to doing the valve check on my RT today.  As usual it took much more time getting the lower out of the way and getting off the valve cover than it did to do the actual check  :dunno

Good news though.  My RT has 39K miles and I have no record of the check ever being done, even the first one, and doubt it was ever done.  But all 6 valves passed muster using Chris Harris's GO/NO-GO tutorial video.  The lobe faces look great, the plugs were so-so (a bit dark) but will be swapped for new ones.

Now onto getting off the right side lower and replacing the air filter.  Then new windscreen, fuel filter, S-tube, TB synch, TPS adjustment.  Got a friend who'll help me do the clutch spline lube.  New tires, Shinko TM 230's, are being ordered.
BTW, my '92 is now a classic at 25 years old.  Just a couple years younger than my kids  :yow   :2thumbup:
Mark - East Texas
'14 Suzuki V-Strom 1000
'12 Aprilia Shiver
'92 BMW K75RT (#3)

Offline jaxon

« Reply #2714 on: May 26, 2017, 10:28:33 PM »
Actually it's his twin sister, Maxine Waters.  While she hasn't made many waves in the music business, she is a national treasure for her unintentional comedy routines. 

I no longer want to be a politically incorrect heterosexual Caucasian male so recently decided to identify as a disabled black lesbian with moderate Islamic leanings.  Maxine is how I want to identify as to appearance.   That my internet image looks like brother James Brown is a nice bonus.   I love his music.

She's not fit to be a greeter at Wally World.
  • Indiana
--
This space for rent

Offline BlitzenGruv

• My first BMW. Been riding old British forever..
« Reply #2715 on: May 27, 2017, 01:39:48 AM »
Replaced the fuel filter. Found that the exit connection from the old one was loose.
New NAPA filter, tight clamps, fresh petrol, he started right up.
Months of wondering what the problem could be solved by a simple clamp.
  • Crossville, TN
  • '92 K100rs, 16v, '71 BSA Lightning, '72 Triumph Bonneville, '72 Triumph Trident
You say I'm schizophrenic, but I don't believe we are.

Offline whosyurdaddy

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #2716 on: May 28, 2017, 06:08:21 AM »
 I replaced my plug wires yesterday and I'll do the monkey nutz today . On a side note I ordered my parts from Euro Motoelectrics and have to say great people to deal with .
  • Central Indiana
  • 1991 K100RS SOLD

Offline Chaos

• Administrator
  • Mars needs women!
« Reply #2717 on: May 28, 2017, 09:25:24 AM »

Your bike is male?   Interesting......
  • sw ohio
1987 K75S    VIN 0231
Original owner, Original litter
200,000 miles (plus or minus) and 5 paint jobs
sold 6/23
2023 Ural 2WD sidecar (BMW's bastard step child)

Offline whosyurdaddy

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #2718 on: May 28, 2017, 10:32:23 AM »

Manly bike for sure
  • Central Indiana
  • 1991 K100RS SOLD

Offline BlitzenGruv

• My first BMW. Been riding old British forever..
« Reply #2719 on: May 28, 2017, 07:10:46 PM »

Yes, I name all my vehicles as soon as an appropriate name comes to mind.
The K bike is Gustav, my BSA is Zelda, and my Rav4 is Beauregard.

I started Gustav again today, but did not ride. I wanted to check for any codes before getting away from the garage.
It flashed a 1133 code. However, the  PDF I downloaded said that this can be spurious, especially if the bike starts.
Sounds like it's running on all four cylinders. Any chance that the lower Hall-effect is flaky and will fail soon?
  • Crossville, TN
  • '92 K100rs, 16v, '71 BSA Lightning, '72 Triumph Bonneville, '72 Triumph Trident
You say I'm schizophrenic, but I don't believe we are.

Offline D.Bachtel

« Reply #2720 on: May 28, 2017, 10:23:42 PM »
Replaced the fuel filter. Found that the exit connection from the old one was loose.
Months of wondering what the problem could be solved by a simple clamp.

:2thumbup: Feels good eh?
Glad to hear it's back up and running!

Don in Nipomo
  • Nipomo
  • BSA, Zundapp, Husqvarna, Greeves, Triumph...and a 1987 K75C

Offline K1300S

« Reply #2721 on: May 28, 2017, 11:09:42 PM »
For no real reason,  acquired another K75s.  Twin to the one I already had.

Project Thread "K75s Midlife Refresh"
http://www.motobrick.com/index.php/topic,7810.0.html

Offline D.Bachtel

« Reply #2722 on: May 28, 2017, 11:51:22 PM »
Twins, nice. That Porsche ain't  too shabby either. What year is that?

Don in Nipomo
  • Nipomo
  • BSA, Zundapp, Husqvarna, Greeves, Triumph...and a 1987 K75C

Offline The Dude

• ^ SuperNatural Motobricker
« Reply #2723 on: May 29, 2017, 12:10:55 AM »
Twins.Great stuff!
I wouldn't tire of seeing them,even with a row of 'em going off into the distance.
  • Auckland, New Zealand
  • K75s
Current.
TR6R 1973 from new.
Moto guzzi 850 III .1983 from,almost, new.
K75S 1986 from new.vin-0103141
On my second millionth km.give or take a hundred k Kay's.
"The Dude abides. I don't know about you but I take comfort in that. It's good knowin' he's out there."
All the best!

Offline K1300S

« Reply #2724 on: May 29, 2017, 07:01:18 AM »
"new" one is a 92.  ran when parked a year ago outside.  some mild damage to fairings on right side.  battery completely dead.  20+ lbs of acorn shells everywhere in the bike.  squirrels were using the belly pan for winter food storage.  several hours of cleaning and maint and it runs again.  much more rehab to do.  not sure what the final plan for this one is.

911 is an 87.  would love to claim it as mine, but storing for a friend.
Project Thread "K75s Midlife Refresh"
http://www.motobrick.com/index.php/topic,7810.0.html