Author Topic: transmission fluid poll  (Read 23327 times)

Offline bizzaro

• ^ SuperNatural Motobricker
  • co pilot
Re: transmission fluid poll
« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2017, 08:30:35 PM »

Probably didn't help that I used the same funnel that I'd used to fill said transmission and FD, so it was already wet with lube.  What an effing mess.

:hehehe :hehehe :hehehe :hehehe Yea, that shit can get away from ya!  Need to carefully plan for it's use. 
  • Vermont
  • Current:1994 BMW K1100LT Previous: 1982 Yamaha virago 920,1973 Honda CB550,1976 Yamaha 650 Special
See Ya in the Twisties,
 Bizz

Offline Blue

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #26 on: September 17, 2017, 09:01:00 PM »
The liquid moly mixes well and does not pool at the drain plugs.
  • Stovepipe Wells CA
  • 1995 K1100RS

Offline bizzaro

• co pilot
« Reply #27 on: September 18, 2017, 06:31:27 AM »
Link to purchase? Fleabay again?  IE; where did you purchase your liquid molly?? It definitely sounds like a better option for me. :2thumbup:

I found this info below searching the web for the liquid molly.   It must be true...............it was on the internet! :eek:

Engineers and scientists have tried for years to use Moly in oils but they had been unsuccessful because they could not find a way to keep Moly in suspension. Once Moly was put into suspension it would gradually settle out. It was easy to see it come out of suspension because a black sludge would collect on the bottom of the oil containers. In engines it would settle to the bottom of the crankcase or clog oil pathways and filters.

• Vermont
  • Current:1994 BMW K1100LT Previous: 1982 Yamaha virago 920,1973 Honda CB550,1976 Yamaha 650 Special
See Ya in the Twisties,
 Bizz

Offline Christopherguzzi

• My first Beemer🏍.
  • ^ Proficient Motobricker
  • It ran when it was parked........27 years ago😳.
« Reply #28 on: September 18, 2017, 10:21:58 PM »
Super Tech 75W-90 Synthetic Blend Gear Oil. :2thumbup:   Shifts incredibly smooth no matter what gear. :riding:
  • Little Canada, Minnesota
  • 1986 K75C
Christopherguzzi

Offline Blue

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #29 on: September 19, 2017, 04:54:10 AM »
Guard  Dog SLA-1261 Moly For Gear Oils.  It says for gear oils, not to be used in engine oils. 
  • Stovepipe Wells CA
  • 1995 K1100RS

Offline jay1622

• ^ Proficient Motobricker
« Reply #30 on: September 19, 2017, 06:46:52 AM »
I found this info below searching the web for the liquid molly.   It must be true...............it was on the internet! :eek:

Having just finished rebuilding my gearbox, which had moly in it... I will say this is true, but (on a good note) there does appear to be a saturation point (you don't need a lot). I had residual moly on EVERYTHING, and there was significantly more (residual build-up layer) on the bottom of the gearbox and down toward the drain channel. However, there was still a significant amount suspended in the oil itself. The only consistent drawback is every seal (input, output, clutch rod, shifting roll & gear shaft) had hints of moly creeping past the wiper portion of the seal. Based on my personal experience, I'll be using 10%-15% of what I was using before; I was using way too much. Note: I didn't detect any more/less slag on the magnet. The thought that the residual moly/sludge would capture metal frag and slag and not allow it to pass to the drain plug magnet.
  • Charlotte
  • Previous: 1986 K75S, 1977 R75/7, 1999 R1200C, 2003 R1150GS, 2001 F650GS, 2005 R1200RT... Current: 2005 R1200RT and my Brick, a 1988 K75S

Offline Blue

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #31 on: September 19, 2017, 07:13:26 AM »
Mobil 1 75/140 Syn gear oil and Guard Dog liquid moly the past 20 years and nearly 200 thousand American total miles.  It's a good combination.
  • Stovepipe Wells CA
  • 1995 K1100RS

Offline bizzaro

• co pilot
« Reply #32 on: September 19, 2017, 04:18:13 PM »

Having just finished rebuilding my gearbox, which had moly in it... I will say this is true, but (on a good note) there does appear to be a saturation point (you don't need a lot). I had residual moly on EVERYTHING, and there was significantly more (residual build-up layer) on the bottom of the gearbox and down toward the drain channel. However, there was still a significant amount suspended in the oil itself. The only consistent drawback is every seal (input, output, clutch rod, shifting roll & gear shaft) had hints of moly creeping past the wiper portion of the seal. Based on my personal experience, I'll be using 10%-15% of what I was using before; I was using way too much. Note: I didn't detect any more/less slag on the magnet. The thought that the residual moly/sludge would capture metal frag and slag and not allow it to pass to the drain plug magnet.

Next time I change gear oil I will be vary judicial in my Molly dust application. I would say a little bit goes a long way. 

Great job on your tranny thread.  Really good documentation, vids and all.  Excellent job, so thank you for that. 

"Guard Dog liquid moly",.............................. Blue, you do know Guard Dog is out of business right? 
  • Vermont
See Ya in the Twisties,
 Bizz

Offline frankenduck

• Adrninistrator
  • ^ Quintessential Motobricker
« Reply #33 on: July 19, 2023, 04:44:44 PM »
Half a tube (25g) of this in the trans oil:
https://www.amazon.com/Liqui-Moly-2019-Anti-Friction-Lubricant/dp/B00CPL8UPY

How I determined that amount: Since LiquiMoly doesn't have any directions on the product I emailed their tech support several years ago to find out what would be the correct amount for 0.8L of gear oil in a transmission.

Once I had a Collie pup. Dug a hole and covered him up. Now I sit there by the hour. Waiting for a Collie-flower.
New to K bikes? Click here.
K Bike Maintenance & Mods: Click here.
Buy parts here.
Agree Agree x 1 View List

Tags: